[GUIDE] Getting started - Unlock->TWRP->root->OTA updates

Search This thread

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
As there seems to be no such guide yet and it took me quite a while to get all this information together, I thought of giving back something by putting information together for others to start.
This guide is meant for the CLT-L29 (dual SIM). Rebranding and switching your CLT-L09 (single SIM) to dual is not subject of this guide and is not adviced.

This is for a Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 with factory reset. Please bear with me if there really is a step missing as I try to reproduce this for the documentation with an already bootloader unlocked and previously rooted phone (root should be gone after [factory] resetting via eRecovery).
A collection of all tools used can be found here.
As always, you are doing this on your own risk, no one else can be held responsible for this.

Cheat sheet

1. eRecovery
    The recovery sitting in the "recovery" partition. eRecovery is Huawei's recovery that is able to fix your phone by downloading the latest OTA update via WiFi if you got stuck in a boot loop for several reasons.

To boot into eRecovery:
    • Power down your phone (if you are stuck in a boot loop simply continue with the next step).
    • Hold volume up until you end up in eRecovery.
    • Setup your WiFi access and let it recover your phone.
    • If unsure, "wipe data/factory reset" to get rid of any leftovers you messed up.
    • Reboot and be happy that you have not fully bricked your phone.
  2. TWRP
    The recovery typically flashed to the "recovery_ramdisk" partition. TeamWin Recovery Project is what you typically use to flash ROMs, to root the phone and to install OTA updates.
    Do NOT flash TWRP into "recovery" partition or you will lose eRecovery and the ability to easily recover your semi-bricked phone via WiFi!

To boot into TWRP (once flashed):
    • Power down your phone (if you are stuck in a boot loop simply continue with the next step).
    • Hold volume up and power until you end up in TWRP.

Unlock your bootloader

1. Get your bootloader unlock code from here https://emui.huawei.com/en/unlock_detail (available until mid of July I think). Some report to have to wait 24/48h to get their code via mail, I got mine directly.
    • Register via mail and do not get confused that you can not select USA or Germany or whatever country, simply use location Hong Kong.
    • Make sure you select "EMUI above 5.0" when entering your phone data (P20 Pro comes with EMUI 8.x).
  2. Connect your phone via ADB. There are tons of HowTos about this, so I will not be covering this here.
  3. Use Tool All In One to check that you can talk to your device via ADB. It will also help you installing the correct ADB USB drivers.
  4. Unlock your bootloader using Tool All In One.
  5. Reboot back into system.

Flash TWRP

1. Make sure no lock screen or other locking is set:
    • "Settings > Security": Remove fingerprint, face or password locking, simply set to none.
    • Enter developer mode, should already been done for unlocking the bootloader.
    • Setting > System > Developer options: Disable the display lock.
  2. Download latest ADB & Fastboot as I will continue with the rest on command line.
  3. Verify connection to your phone with "adb devices", this should list your phone.
  4. Reboot into fastboot by using "adb reboot bootloader".
  5. Verify connection to your phone with "fastboot devices", this should list your phone.
  6. Flash TWRP by Pretoriano80 with "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_clt_0.1.img". This TWRP is able to access the encrypted internal storage! TWRP is flashed to "recovery_ramdisk". This ensures that you can still access eRecovery if something goes wrong.
  7. Remove the USB cable.
  8. Reboot into TWRP. If you do not boot directly into TWRP the Huawei eRecovery might replace TWRP again. Once you booted into TWRP you are fine for future reboots.
  9. Use "Keep Read Only" for the system partition.

Make a backup!!!

1. Backup your phone to internal storage (USB stick via USB-OTG adapter failed for me):
    • Select "Backup".
    • Tick all partitions (scroll down and tick all).
    • Swipe to Backup.
    • Select "Reboot System", "Do Not Install".
    • Back in Android make a copy of your backup located in your internal storage "/TWRP/" to an external location like your PC. Keep the backup on your phone to be able to go back quickly to this point via TWRP.

Root the stock ROM

1. Place "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip" onto the internal storage.
  2. Power off the phone and remove the USB cable.
  3. Boot into TWRP.
  4. Install root and Magisk Manager:
    • Select "Install".
    • Select "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip"
    • Tick "Reboot after installation is complete".
    • Swipe to confirm Flash.
    • Select "Do Not Install".
  5. Back in Android start "Magisk Manager" and check that it is green and therefore rooted.

Install an OTA (Over The Air) stock update
PC method

Method involving ADB based on this guide.

1. First make sure no OTA update gets installed automatically as this will end up in booting into TWRP and failing with the update.
    • Go to "Settings > System > System Update".
    • Open the three dots menu on the top right and select "Update Settings".
    • Disable automatic update download via WiFi as once updates are downloaded the phone will bug you to update and maybe tries to update itself during the night!
  2. Start in Android but do not download the OTA update yet.
  3. Verify connection to your phone with "adb devices", this should list your phone.
  5. Verify connection to your phone with "fastboot devices", this should list your phone.
  6. Flash "recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img" with "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img". For official OTA updates that you would regularly get, the "nocheck" feature should not be needed but does not harm. This will remove TWRP and you have to flash it again after the OTA update has finished.
  7. Reboot into Android by using "fastboot reboot".
  8. Remove the USB cable.
  9. Download your OTA update via "Settings > System > System Update".
  10. Let the phone reboot to install the OTA update and follow the update until you are back in Android with your new firmware version.
  11. Install TWRP and root again.

Standalone method

Deprecated/wrong method based on this guide.

Read first!!!
While this method should do no harm it will only ever update to CLT-L29 8.1.0.128a(C432) [hw/eu] as this is what is inside the file "update.zip" that you can currently download and that gets installed by "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip" in the same folder. This was not clearly explained in the source thread, therefore sorry about this wrong information. If you intend to update to this stock ROM continue, otherwise use the "PC method".

I will check about the best way to install OTA updates without PC interaction in the next couple of days (currently waiting for 130+ getting rolled out for me for some investigations regarding the OTA process).
  1. First make sure no OTA update gets installed automatically as this will end up in booting into TWRP and failing with the update.
    • Disable automatic update download via WiFi as once updates are downloaded the phone will bug you to update and maybe tries to update itself during the night!
  2. Place the following files into a folder on the internal storage (for sure not all are required but this is part of the little information not clear right now):
    • "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip"
    • "recovery.img"
    • "update.zip"
    • "update_all_hw.zip"
    • "update_data_public.zip"
  3. Go to "Settings > System > System Update" and check for an update.
  4. Download the OTA update.
  5. Do not reboot when prompted.
  6. Make sure no lock screen or other locking is set:
    • "Settings > Security": Remove fingerprint, face or password locking, simply set to none.
  7. Power down the phone.
  8. Boot into TWRP.
  9. Install "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip". Do not get irritated if it tells you it is for CLT-L09 instead of CLT-L29, everything is fine.
  10. Wipe dalvik cache before rebooting.
  11. Reboot back into Android.
  12. Check "Magisk Manager" to see if root got removed. TWRP might get removed as well. If TWRP or root got removed, repeat the install for one or both like before.
    In my case only root got removed but TWRP was kept functional. If this is the case for you as well, simply flash "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip" via TWRP again.

Changelog

• 2018-06-21
    1. Updated/corrected wrong information collected about installing OTA updates standalone (without PC). Until further notice use the PC method.

Last edited:

doromax

Mar 28, 2009
Very good post!
Thank you to collect all this important info!
[emoji481]

P20 Pro & Tapatalk

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
can i use your step above to rebranding from L29c636 to l29c432? Thanks
Not sure, not tested and not topic of this thread.

For my understanding, why do you want to rebrand it to C432 which is the region code as far as I understand.
Is there a BIG benefit of getting OTA updates earlier or why do you want to mess around with it ?

Reactions: Barcovn

Barcovn

Apr 28, 2013
Not sure, not tested and not topic of this thread.

For my understanding, why do you want to rebrand it to C432 which is the region code as far as I understand.
Is there a BIG benefit of getting OTA updates earlier or why do you want to mess around with it ?

yes, i mean change the region code. as i use the p20 pro since April, newer firmware ususal fix/improve performance for phone or camera. however it seem the c636 update is much slower then C432. currently i have problem with facebook lagging which inhope newer firmware fix it

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something.

https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/guide-how-to-root-debrand-remove-retail-t3788326

It's been here for some time.

Nothing wrong with your guide it's decent but the info provided is actually already here mate.

Root, twrp, de-brand, OTA, it's all there :confused:
I was reading this one as well but like matt4321 already said, it is actually for a different purpose.

And even the "ROOT ONLY" instructions are either widespread over the whole P20 Pro forum, incomplete or even outdated:
  • Linking to other threads with endless, partly revised instructions (on page n of the thread).
  • Referring to wrong official TWRP that can not use internal storage.
  • Hard to understand for beginners on this device (not even talking about someone who is entirely new to all of this).
  • Missing steps or expecting that you have already successfully flashed your first ROM (talking about advanced things like rebranding).
Don't get me wong, I am used to read a lot when it comes to custom ROMs (if you check the old part of my signature you can see that I am not actually a newbie here and my roots actually reach back to when all of the Android stuff startet at all, back when XDAs flashed HTC HD2 WinMo to Android). However I really missed a guide that actually collects all the basic information for beginners without going off roads too early.

mangusZen

Apr 10, 2011
Bologna,Italy
These are more or less the steps I'm used to when I owned my nexus phones.
I have some questions:

If I root my phone and install, let's say adaway, will I be able to receive OTA? Or I will have to flash a new image manually?

If after root I relock bootloader, will I be able to unlock it again later for further modding?

This method implies that I can return to stock anytime and relock bootloader?

Thanks for the guide and answers , great job

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
If I root my phone and install, let's say adaway, will I be able to receive OTA? Or I will have to flash a new image manually?
Yes, exactly what I am doing. I need root for some apps and besides that I am happy with the stock OTA ROM, at least for the moment. OTA updates work fine so far.
The only thing as explained in my guide is that OTA updates will fail as they boot into TWRP instead of original fastboot. Therefore you need to explicitly boot into TWRP and install the downloaded OTA update with "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip".

If after root I relock bootloader, will I be able to unlock it again later for further modding?
From what I have read so far re-locking your bootloader is not advised. You seem to be unable to unlock it again or at least need to request another unlock code from Huawei.
At least this is my understanding of the situation so far.

Returning to stock is even easier if you keep eRecovery working as explained in the guide (flashing TWRP only to recovery_ramdisk partition). With eRecovery you can wipe TWRP and root and let eRecovery download and install the latest official stock ROM.
Regarding the bootloader re-locking, see my answer above.

mangusZen

Apr 10, 2011
Bologna,Italy
Yes, exactly what I am doing. I need root for some apps and besides that I am happy with the stock OTA ROM, at least for the moment. OTA updates work fine so far.
The only thing as explained in my guide is that OTA updates will fail as they boot into TWRP instead of original fastboot. Therefore you need to explicitly boot into TWRP and install the downloaded OTA update with "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip".

From what I have read so far re-locking your bootloader is not advised. You seem to be unable to unlock it again or at least need to request another unlock code from Huawei.

Returning to stock is even easier if you keep eRecovery working as explained in the guide (flashing TWRP only to recovery_ramdisk partition). With eRecovery you can wipe TWRP and root and let eRecovery download and install the latest official stock ROM.

Ok, so to install OTA I have to use hurupdater method and flash the OTA package manually.

For what I read and understood, but I may be wrong, the problem with relocking bootloader is encountered by who used the funkyhuawei method, that alters bootloader in some way, especially to achive the mono sim - dual sim switch.
With this you cant for now re unlock the bootloader again.
But I could be wrong and be like that for everyone, will see if someone will come up with some clarifications.
It would be nice to have the ability to return to stock, lock bootloader and use warranty
[emoji14]

Thanks for your work and answers

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
Ok, so to install OTA I have to use hurupdater method and flash the OTA package manually.
Yes, that is basically what "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip" will do, it will flash/install an OTA update that has previously been downloaded.
Wipe cache afterwards and be happy with your new up to date stock ROM version.

Amowiel

Jun 20, 2018
Hi It is late at night and I am not sure if I typed fastboot flash recovery twrp_clt_0.1.img instead off fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_clt_0.1.img. How can I make sure I still have erecovery? super newbie to android rooting, please help :) Thank you

Xcelsior

Feb 1, 2009
Hi It is late at night and I am not sure if I typed fastboot flash recovery twrp_clt_0.1.img instead off fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_clt_0.1.img. How can I make sure I still have erecovery? super newbie to android rooting, please help :) Thank you
Simplest way would be to try to boot into eRocovery:
  1. Power off the phone.
  2. Power on the phone until you see the "you are a baddy because you unlocked your bootloader" screen.
  3. Hold volume up (you can already hold it when powering on the phone) until you end up in eRecovery or TWRP.
If you end up in TWRP it should still be possible to recover your eRecovery with a proper backup of the "recovery" partition from any other P20 Pro.

Amowiel

Jun 20, 2018
Simplest way would be to try to boot into eRocovery:
  1. Power off the phone.
  2. Power on the phone until you see the "you are a baddy because you unlocked your bootloader" screen.
  3. Hold volume up (you can already hold it when powering on the phone) until you end up in eRecovery or TWRP.
If you end up in TWRP it should still be possible to recover your eRecovery with a proper backup of the "recovery" partition from any other P20 Pro.

thank you so much for such a quick reply, can confirm that my brain was not so fried and I didn't wipe my ercovery :)

thank you for your amazing guide, everything worked perfectly

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2

For what I read and understood, but I may be wrong, the problem with relocking bootloader is encountered by who used the funkyhuawei method, that alters bootloader in some way, especially to achive the mono sim - dual sim switch.
With this you cant for now re unlock the bootloader again.
But I could be wrong and be like that for everyone, will see if someone will come up with some clarifications.
It would be nice to have the ability to return to stock, lock bootloader and use warranty
[emoji14]

Thanks for your work and answers

Actually you don't in some cases, if your simply rooted with twrp and you want to install an OTA that's been advertised to your device. All you need to do is install the nocheck recovery IMG and then take the update, reinstall twrp and magisk after the update and you're done.

If it's an update that's not advertised to your device yet then hur updater is the way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As there seems to be no such guide yet and it took me quite a while to get all this information together, I thought of giving back something by putting information together for others to start.
    This guide is meant for the CLT-L29 (dual SIM). Rebranding and switching your CLT-L09 (single SIM) to dual is not subject of this guide and is not adviced.

This is for a Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 with factory reset. Please bear with me if there really is a step missing as I try to reproduce this for the documentation with an already bootloader unlocked and previously rooted phone (root should be gone after [factory] resetting via eRecovery).
    A collection of all tools used can be found here.
    As always, you are doing this on your own risk, no one else can be held responsible for this.

Cheat sheet

1. eRecovery
      The recovery sitting in the "recovery" partition. eRecovery is Huawei's recovery that is able to fix your phone by downloading the latest OTA update via WiFi if you got stuck in a boot loop for several reasons.

To boot into eRecovery:
      • Hold volume up until you end up in eRecovery.
      • Setup your WiFi access and let it recover your phone.
      • If unsure, "wipe data/factory reset" to get rid of any leftovers you messed up.
      • Reboot and be happy that you have not fully bricked your phone.
    2. TWRP
      The recovery typically flashed to the "recovery_ramdisk" partition. TeamWin Recovery Project is what you typically use to flash ROMs, to root the phone and to install OTA updates.
      Do NOT flash TWRP into "recovery" partition or you will lose eRecovery and the ability to easily recover your semi-bricked phone via WiFi!

To boot into TWRP (once flashed):
      • Hold volume up and power until you end up in TWRP.

Unlock your bootloader

1. Get your bootloader unlock code from here https://emui.huawei.com/en/unlock_detail (available until mid of July I think). Some report to have to wait 24/48h to get their code via mail, I got mine directly.
      • Register via mail and do not get confused that you can not select USA or Germany or whatever country, simply use location Hong Kong.
      • Make sure you select "EMUI above 5.0" when entering your phone data (P20 Pro comes with EMUI 8.x).
    2. Connect your phone via ADB. There are tons of HowTos about this, so I will not be covering this here.
    3. Use Tool All In One to check that you can talk to your device via ADB. It will also help you installing the correct ADB USB drivers.
    4. Unlock your bootloader using Tool All In One.
    5. Reboot back into system.

Flash TWRP

1. Make sure no lock screen or other locking is set:
    2. Download latest ADB & Fastboot as I will continue with the rest on command line.
    6. Flash TWRP by Pretoriano80 with "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_clt_0.1.img". This TWRP is able to access the encrypted internal storage! TWRP is flashed to "recovery_ramdisk". This ensures that you can still access eRecovery if something goes wrong.
    7. Remove the USB cable.
    8. Reboot into TWRP. If you do not boot directly into TWRP the Huawei eRecovery might replace TWRP again. Once you booted into TWRP you are fine for future reboots.
    9. Use "Keep Read Only" for the system partition.

Make a backup!!!

1. Backup your phone to internal storage (USB stick via USB-OTG adapter failed for me):
      • Select "Backup".
      • Tick all partitions (scroll down and tick all).
      • Swipe to Backup.
      • Select "Reboot System", "Do Not Install".
      • Back in Android make a copy of your backup located in your internal storage "/TWRP/" to an external location like your PC. Keep the backup on your phone to be able to go back quickly to this point via TWRP.

Root the stock ROM

1. Place "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip" onto the internal storage.
    2. Power off the phone and remove the USB cable.
    3. Boot into TWRP.
    4. Install root and Magisk Manager:
      • Select "Install".
      • Select "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip"
      • Tick "Reboot after installation is complete".
      • Swipe to confirm Flash.
      • Select "Do Not Install".
    5. Back in Android start "Magisk Manager" and check that it is green and therefore rooted.

Install an OTA (Over The Air) stock update
    PC method

Method involving ADB based on this guide.

2. Start in Android but do not download the OTA update yet.
    6. Flash "recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img" with "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img". For official OTA updates that you would regularly get, the "nocheck" feature should not be needed but does not harm. This will remove TWRP and you have to flash it again after the OTA update has finished.
    7. Reboot into Android by using "fastboot reboot".
    8. Remove the USB cable.
    9. Download your OTA update via "Settings > System > System Update".
    10. Let the phone reboot to install the OTA update and follow the update until you are back in Android with your new firmware version.
    11. Install TWRP and root again.

Standalone method

Deprecated/wrong method based on this guide.

Read first!!!
    While this method should do no harm it will only ever update to CLT-L29 8.1.0.128a(C432) [hw/eu] as this is what is inside the file "update.zip" that you can currently download and that gets installed by "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip" in the same folder. This was not clearly explained in the source thread, therefore sorry about this wrong information. If you intend to update to this stock ROM continue, otherwise use the "PC method".

I will check about the best way to install OTA updates without PC interaction in the next couple of days (currently waiting for 130+ getting rolled out for me for some investigations regarding the OTA process).
    2. Place the following files into a folder on the internal storage (for sure not all are required but this is part of the little information not clear right now):
      • "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip"
      • "recovery.img"
      • "update.zip"
      • "update_all_hw.zip"
      • "update_data_public.zip"
    3. Go to "Settings > System > System Update" and check for an update.
    4. Download the OTA update.
    5. Do not reboot when prompted.
    6. Make sure no lock screen or other locking is set:
    7. Power down the phone.
    8. Boot into TWRP.
    9. Install "HuRUpdater_0.3.zip". Do not get irritated if it tells you it is for CLT-L09 instead of CLT-L29, everything is fine.
    10. Wipe dalvik cache before rebooting.
    11. Reboot back into Android.
    12. Check "Magisk Manager" to see if root got removed. TWRP might get removed as well. If TWRP or root got removed, repeat the install for one or both like before.
      In my case only root got removed but TWRP was kept functional. If this is the case for you as well, simply flash "Magisk-v16.4-Beta.zip" via TWRP again.

Changelog

• 2018-06-21
      1. Updated/corrected wrong information collected about installing OTA updates standalone (without PC). Until further notice use the PC method.
    No need for this kind of arguing.

Cleaned up.
    This is my post #254 in the other thread: https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/guide-how-to-root-debrand-remove-retail-t3788326

Hope this helps. :D

FYI if the build is advertised to you (as in via system update?) then you can continue, if it's something which would work but is not yet advertised, eg: you've got a L-29 -c432 and you're on 128 but you know that b131 would work (which it will) then you can grab all the firmware files and use the HUR Updater method, but for something advertised, just continue below and you're all good, I've used this twice, hence the guide as it doesn't exist anywhere in such detail.

Any questions let me know.

GL ;)

Just updated my phone through the various updates and seeing as no one had actually mentioned it i thought i'd do another little guide just to help people out.

After you've gone through either the guide in the OP or https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76785704&postcount=152 you'll probably have re-rooted and installed TWRP.

*NOTE* You do not have to uninstall TWRP or install the stock recovery, nor do you need to unroot.

Please read through prior to committing to the guide. ;)

1. Go here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oWS92OT0Bt2bFktwNCIKLsogA8L50g57 and download the file called recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

2. Connect your phone to your computer (make sure USB Debugging is on)

3. Put the img file in your ADB / Fastboot folder (my default is C:\adb )

4. Open a command prompt / powershell from your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Type: adb reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

5. Wait for the device to boot to the bootloader (white screen)

Type: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdisk_nocheckP20.img

PRESS ENTER

6. Type: Fastboot reboot bootloader

PRESS ENTER

7. Disconnect the phone and allow the device to boot up.

8. Once the device is booted, take the update and allow it to fully install.

NOTE* Not sure if it's completely necessary but i did it anyway, disabled all PIN / Password / Fingerprint prior to performing this.

After the installation you'll have no TWRP and you won't be rooted so if you'd like to go back to the way it was.

Follow the guide in the OP to get TWRP and root back.

Hope this helps. :D

OP updated to my latest knowledge

Not sure if people who monitor this thread are notified if the OP gets edited, therefore NOTIFY.
    I have added a changelog to the OP as well, so it is easy to see what was updated.

Maybe one of you who gets notifed about new posts can just post if it is necessary for me to let you know explicitly or if you get notified automatically if the OP get edited.