[MOD|1.53] Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu

Search This thread

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011
I've ported the One-X mod to the One-S
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1582506
This mod will disable the 3-dot Menu on the display, the menu button will be mapped to long-pressing home!

I don't own a One-S, I've attached an android.policy.jar if anyone want's to try it. If it works, I will make a zip which you can flash with the CWM recovery

use it only on a deodexed 1.53.x.2 ROM

please don't pm me, post here if you have something to say

I will not make an odexed version

make a backup of the file first
Code:
adb pull /system/framework/android.policy.jar android.policy.jar.orig

this file needs to be pushed to /system/framework/android.policy.jar
Code:
adb remount
adb push android.policy.jar /system/framework/android.policy.jar

if you don't know how to do this, wait for someone to test the mod and I'll make a flashable zip!

Attachments

• android.policy.jar
    160.4 KB · Views: 325

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
It didn't get past the boot animation after I applied it I'm on zero one themed rom

Sent from a guy living in a van down by the river

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011
It didn't get past the boot animation after I applied it I'm on zero one themed rom

Sent from a guy living in a van down by the river

first boot can take up to 10 minutes, but there could be something wrong. can you send me the output of "adb logcat > log.txt" while switching the device on?

boojay

Oct 15, 2010
Is there a long press back button to "search" option? I miss the designated search key. That was a complete boneheaded move to get rid of that.

xflatlinex

May 5, 2012
soo

I see it is successful!! Great! Will you be releasing a flashable zip now?
thanks again for your awesome work

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock T-Mobile US Button Mod

Hello,
    I have made a mod for a stock T-Mobile US 1.84.531.2 710RD Odexed rom. It will make Recent Apps > Menu, Long-press-home > Recent Apps, and will disable the three dot menu. I have also included a zip to return to original. Flash through recovery.

Edit:
    I have reuploaded a new Menu mod as the first one has an unnecessary mod in the build.prop(I had removed the htclinkify). I'm not sure if it would have any negative effect without removing the other parts, so the mod is not needed.

Rsotbiemrptson
    I've ported the One-X mod to the One-S
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1582506
    This mod will disable the 3-dot Menu on the display, the menu button will be mapped to long-pressing home!

I don't own a One-S, I've attached an android.policy.jar if anyone want's to try it. If it works, I will make a zip which you can flash with the CWM recovery

use it only on a deodexed 1.53.x.2 ROM

please don't pm me, post here if you have something to say

I will not make an odexed version

make a backup of the file first
    Code:
    adb pull /system/framework/android.policy.jar android.policy.jar.orig

this file needs to be pushed to /system/framework/android.policy.jar
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push android.policy.jar /system/framework/android.policy.jar

if you don't know how to do this, wait for someone to test the mod and I'll make a flashable zip!
    1.78.401.2 (EU) ONLY: Flashable zip - remove 3-dot soft menu button + key remap

Hello everyone!

I've been in touch with he_stheone64 who put together this thread for deodexed ROMs and he's pointed me to the actual smali files that need changing to get this to work on other ROMs. Credits also go to blubbers and Virtuous Team who pioneered and finetuned the code for 1.53 base.

Following his suggestions I managed to put together a flashable button-mod.zip for HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - see at the bottom. This mod will completely remove the ICS 3-dot menu and will remap the recent apps button to work as menu button and long-press home to bring up recent apps.[/SIZE]

If for some reason you want to go back to the stock configuration (i.e. with 3-dot soft menu button), I've also prepared a restore_old_button_files.zip that you can flash - see at the bottom.

As always, before you flash ANYTHING, I strongly recommend that you do a fresh nandroid backup so you can go back to your initial configuration in case something goes wrong in the process!

WARNINGS:

1. This mod has been built and tested on HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - Network Unbranded. If you flash this mod on any other ROM (e.g. network branded) you are likely to get stuck at boot or a boot loop!

2. If you have manually changed your build.prop and cy8c-touchkey.kl files, DO NOT flash this as it will overwrite your old files!

NOTE: When I get a bit more time I'll try to write a tutorial on how to manually patch the android.policy.odex file using the smali files from he_stheone64's mod.
    this would work out much better if you made longpress home equal multitasking, and turning the multitasking button into the menu button... just my 2 cents ;) .
    Stock T-Mobile US Button Mod

Hello,
    I have made a mod for a stock T-Mobile US 1.53.531.16 710RD Odexed rom. It will make Recent Apps > Menu, Long-press-home > Recent Apps, and will disable the three dot menu. I have also included a zip to return to original. Flash through recovery.

Rsotbiemrptson