How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Search This thread

Grunschlik

Feb 6, 2009
Hi guys,

also bought a EU G1 in Germany today. It has a modified .29 version where you cant get root access.

Its also not possible to flash to another .29 version as some other people in this thread already explained.

So my question is: what _exactly_ (in technical terms) did you do so that the original spl accepts the firmware you can download in the first post to flash back to a root bug enabled .29 version?

Some checksum that has to be right for the original spl/whatever?

Maybe if someone can explain the exact details how this was done i can redo it for the EU version.

Thanks in advance!

Takshaka

Jul 15, 2006
Thanks!

Well, I havent used these forums in almost 2 years. Spent a lot of time browsing them right after I got my Wizard a long time ago.

Just wanted to say that your post brought me back here. I've had my G1 for a while now, but I just got around to rooting it. Your process is amazingly easy to understand and in case anyone was wondering, it still works fine even after doing the OTA upgrade to RC33.

Shane2

Feb 7, 2009
Sittingbourne, Kent
Indeed, my thanks to the writer of the article. This process worked flawlessly, and allows the use of JesusFreake's excellent modified firmware files. The other thing to note is that this process is surprisingly easy to perform as well.

jivany

Feb 7, 2009
Tampa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
rooting help

i ve been following the rooting instructrions but for some reason i cant get pass the telnet part. the first three commands go smoothly but the last one (cat recovery.img > /system/recovery image it keeps telling me cannot create. my rc is rc29 ide appeciate it if someone can help

ThaBadBoy

Feb 7, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I am in the middle of gaining root right now. I just flashed my phone down to RC29.
I am on the whiteish-grayish screen where it says

"Update complete
UPDATE SUCCESS, press action key.

I have tried to restart. Tried holding down Call+Menu+End....nothing happening.

Not sure how to get it to reboot and I don't want to remove the battery and mess up anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

ThaBadBoy

Feb 7, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I removed the battery and it worked fine.
Are you sure? Cuz I read somewhere where someone removed the battery when he was stuck and pretty much bricked his phone by doing that. I really ddon't want that to happen.

Can anyone else confirm this?

EDIT: Got it to reboot by clicking the trackball and thaan pressing Call+Menu+End.

Last edited:

skatehumor

Feb 7, 2009
localhost?

can somebody help me. when i type in local host it says permission denied. i keep restarting my phone and doinver again but it keeps saying the same thing

efiggy

Jan 15, 2007
First time doing this, and I had RC30. Had as in, "I had RC30, followed the guide, and now I'm running JesusFreke's RC33 firmware." Hell yeah! Thanks for making it easy, guys! ^_^

inkdemon

Sep 15, 2006
Lindenhurst
Well after freaking out for a bit.

And reading the first 16 pages as well as sending out a email or two,I have reloaded and have my G1 back up and running. I downgraded to rc29 then did something to root and landed up with the damn 3 colored screen. I was trying over and over fotr updates but no image was found. By page 16 I read and reapplied the nbh file on the card,and now I'm back. I was sooooo about to call t-mo and tell em my new G1 wasn't working and frozen. THanks for the site and all the tips here guys! You have definately helped me to have some fun so far. Hope to see more improvements on the phone through reading .......Have agreat day!!

dirty_

Feb 8, 2009
Naaahw,

don't work anymore i think. I got a T-mobile G1 in Germany,

My Phone says Buildnumber: 123099

Firmware : 1.1

When i boot with Cambutton it says "not allowed" and does nothing in the end. When i boot other official images it breaks installing!

Any suggestions for me?

Please;)

Tuxguevara

Jan 12, 2009
Naaahw,

don't work anymore i think. I got a T-mobile G1 in Germany,

My Phone says Buildnumber: 123099

Firmware : 1.1

When i boot with Cambutton it says "not allowed" and does nothing in the end. When i boot other official images it breaks installing!

Any suggestions for me?

Please;)

At the moment there is no solution.

I got a German G1, too. But there is no Root Hack yet. Old RC29 root vulnerability is fixed.
They removed the "telnetd" deamon completely.
Could there possibly exist some kind of vulnerability in for example the Bluetooth Stack or WLAN Driver ?

I think/hope somebody will find out a new ROOTing method soon....

If there is already something possible, please tell us...

Last edited:

Kllian

Feb 8, 2009
First time doing this, and I had RC30. Had as in, "I had RC30, followed the guide, and now I'm running JesusFreke's RC33 firmware." Hell yeah! Thanks for making it easy, guys! ^_^

Ive been holding off for a while too but then finally I wanted to give it a try.

I was on RC33 and I had to downgrade first, then go through the guide to get root and finally move back up to the JF RC33 image. Awesome work, very impressive.

bmfc187

Feb 2, 2009
Austin, TX
sdcard issue...

Hi I used this guide to root my g1 last night...I was apparently successful...anyway I used a spare 2gb sdcard to transfer the updates and what-not, now running modified rc30 with confirmed root access...my only problem is that my normal everyday sdcard is a 16gb and its where I keep all my music and photos...seems that after the update I can go into a file manager and see plain as day that everything is still in place on my card. However, when I go into the music player it only shows the first couple bands in my long long list, and when I go into my photo gallery I can't see the thumbnail previews for my photos...instead it just sshows an empty frame with an exclamation point. My photos are still there, you can click a gray box and the picture it represents will show up as usual, I can view them in slideshow, just can't see the thumbnails...I haven't had time to reformat my card yet, I am hoping it will fix the problem, but just in case it doesn't...any other suggestions?

Edit: also, I was using an app called Power Manager to apply battery profiles to my phone under different circumstances, I.e. when it is plugged in, it brightens the screen and stays awake longer, when running on battery it dims screen and sleeps often...well it still works, but only manually. Its supposed to apply the profiles automatically for a given event like plugging in the charger, but since I rooted I can't get it to do it automatically, I hafta go in and select the profile manually...any ideas?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why should you root your Dream/G1?

Well, hopefully one of those reasons convinced you to get root access on your phone!

Preparing to Get Root on your Phone
    Getting root on your phone involves exploiting a security hole that existed in an early version of Android. The versions with the security holes are known as RC19, RC28, and RC29 (or RC7 or lower for UK phones). As of RC30 (RC8 on UK), Google patched the security hole so that your phone can not be rooted (don't worry, we can still root it!).
    To check your version, go to the Home Screen, click your menu button, choose "Settings", and then click "About phone". You will then see the following screen:
    RC30.png

If you have US-RC30/UK-RC8 or higher, you will first need to downgrade your phone to a previous version. (Skip these steps otherwise)
    1. Format your phone's SD card to FAT32 mode:
      • Hook your phone up to your computer using a USB cable and then wait for the notification to show up in your title bar of your phone.
      • Click the notification, and then click "Mount".
      • A new removable disk should show up on your computer. Right click it and select Format, and select FAT32 as the file system type.
    2. Download and unzip the RC29 or RC7 image file. Copy the DREAIMG.nbh file to the SD card. (RC29 for US, RC7 is for UK)
    3. Turn the device power off.
    4. Hold Camera button, and press Power button to entry boot loader mode. You should see a gray/white screen with instructions to flash your phone with the update on your SD card. If you don't see that, make sure you followed the instructions properly.
    5. As per the on-screen instructions, press the Power button to start upgrade procedure. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.
    6. After it is finished, perform the restart your phone.

Rooting your RC29 or lower phone:
    On RC29 phones and lower, anything you type into your keyboard is also being run in a hidden console with root permissions. More information regarding that at the bottom of this post. But, to get root access, do the following:

Instructions:
    1. Download recovery.img or the new version by Amon recovery-RA-dream-v1.5.2.img and copy it to your SD card (see the previous instructions on how to copy from your computer to your Phone's SD card).
    2. Download the Hard SPL and copy the zip file to the SD card.
    3. All files must be on the root of your SD card.
    4. Restart your phone. Wait for your phone to start up fully and show the home screen.
    5. After your phone starts up, hit the enter key twice, type "telnetd" and press enter. (Yes, it will start up a contact search, don't worry. Just type it.)
    6. Download an Android "Telnet" application from the Market and connect to localhost.
    7. If you connect successfully, you will have a root prompt "#".
    8. Type the following into Telnet (these commands will give you root access easier in the future):
      • mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
      • cd sdcard
      • flash_image recovery recovery.img
      • cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img
    Now you have root!

What To Do Now That You Have Root
    Now that you have root, you will want to apply "Hard SPL" to your phone. HardSPL is what will allow you to apply flash images from other regions (like UK on US phones, and vice versa), create full backups of your phone, install the latest build from the Android source, and usually resurrect your phone if it is "bricked". You have already downloaded the file to your SD card, so now you can apply it.

1. Power off your phone.
    2. Start up in recovery mode by holding home and pressing power.
    3. You will now enter recovery mode. You should see an exclamation.
    4. If you do not see a menu on screen, press Alt-L to show the menu.
    5. Press Alt-S to apply the update from the SD card.
    6. After the update is complete, hold Home and press Back to restart.

And now, the last step! You are still running an old version of Android, but you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest update! You can do this, and not lose root by downloading modified versions of the updates.

First, choose a modified image from the list below:

ADP1.1: (md5: bacc58302e0b239d66c7bcc8db6c434b)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_ADP1.1_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=241&rb_v=viewtopic
    http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

RC33: (md5: f24b6c237775147cb4bc42efc2393973)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC33_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://andblogs.net/2009/02/new-rc33-based-images-from-jesusfreke/

RC8: (md5: de2d0d34adbb4015ee3aa5e4e7ca3c07)
    http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC8_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
    http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

1. Download the image.
    2. Rename it to update.zip.
    3. Copy it to your phone's SD card.
    4. Turn your phone off.
    5. Start up in recovery mode by holding Home and pressing Power.
    6. Press alt-W to wipe your device. (You need to do this, or the device may hang at the flashing Android screen)
    7. Press alt-S to apply the update.

And that's it! Remember to check the links up top to learn how to use root to do the advanced things I mentioned.
    Rooting, Hacking, and Flashing your G1/Dream

Reserved for future posting
    I have att, I cannot get to the home screen because I do not have a t-mobile data plan so my gmail gets rejected.

Read this thread http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f41/how-to-use-your-g1-on-at-and-t-without-a-data-plan-8735/
    try this: http://files.lucidrem.us/jf/ROOT/g1_root.txt

i made some abbreviated directions that some people have found very useful

So, I have a Dev Phone1, and stupidly let it apply an OTA update to 1.5. It appears that this (of course) didn't use the rooted version, so here I sit with a Dev phone that's not rooted on version 1.5. My question is does this procedure work with 1.5? My thoughts are to use this to downgrade it to a rooted version of RC33, then get JF's 1.5 build.

Sound about right?
    dream_devphone-userdebug 1.5 crb21 147201 test-keys

can i root??????

you are already 'rooted'
    you just need to read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=831139