[ROM]{Re-Based} NoleKat v2.2 for T210(R) w/ Kids Mode Add-On

Search This thread

ruzell

Dec 1, 2013
Houston
Thanks, I am currently working on fixing this right now,

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Yes i got it to boot BUT, If i try to install ANY custom ROM, It will boot back to recovery :(.
Basically I'm stuck in samsung's official kikat rom :/

Reactions: dsilx

DevMyAndroid

Jul 11, 2014
Salt Lake City
Solution!

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Yes i got it to boot BUT, If i try to install ANY custom ROM, It will boot back to recovery :(.
Flash this in Odin, https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/lt02wifi/philz_touch_6.44.9-lt02wifi.tar.md5
its latest philz touch. It is recomended for this rom. After you flash this just boot into your new recovery, click wipe data/factory reset, click clean to install new rom and then press back 4 times, press install from sd card, find nolekatv1.8.zip and click it, it will open aroma installer, select your preferred language, if you want to be able to overclock your tab click the box by remove phservice if not dont touch anything, click next, click install, wait untill it finishes, and reboot!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Anyone know if the "official" 4.4.2 has that bloody knox bootloader?? Lol. I cannot believe o just said bloody..... :p

Reactions: ruzell

Sock12345

Jun 22, 2014
I think not, since i updated no bootloader or modem etc.
Made dirty flashing on v17 and v18 and no reboots crashes etc. Its just getting smoother everytime lool

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

surfingnoob

Jan 1, 2013
Hey I am using this Rom for a couple of days now and I feel like my tab is really slow. I did clean install and everything. Anyelse has this?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5503 met Tapatalk

Reactions: 13druber

13druber

Dec 7, 2013
Louisville
Hey I am using this Rom for a couple of days now and I feel like my tab is really slow. I did clean install and everything. Anyelse has this?

Mine seems sluggish too. I thought it was just me. I did clean install. I am going to wipe everything again and re-flash 8.0. See if it helps.

Last edited:

DevMyAndroid

Jul 11, 2014
Salt Lake City
Attention ppl with slow tab after 1.8!
please provide more info, did you take the new kernel update? What recovery and version do you have? What is your factory model # t210 or t210r?
thank you.

surfingnoob

Jan 1, 2013
T210, just the kernel that comes with the Rom, I know nothing of a kernel update.

Last edited:

chinosmt

Aug 4, 2014
Attention ppl with slow tab after 1.8!
please provide more info, did you take the new kernel update? What recovery and version do you have? What is your factory model # t210 or t210r?
thank you.

I have the problem too. I'm using philz_touch_6.44.9, tasted it with and without the kernole update (same happen in both), t210. I hope it get a good running soon, I had to flash the stock fimrware again :(

Also I have the reboot problem, when I reboot from recovery, it always go back to recovery and need to flash the sotck firmware again. Please help me

Last edited:

Sock12345

Jun 22, 2014
I just set my gov to interactive and change some settings done i am :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

chinosmt

Aug 4, 2014

Try turning off the device from recovery, then go to recovery mode with the button combination (power+volume up+home), now reboot. It seems working! Please tell me if works!

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
I flashed the entire T210R KK firmware and it seems that the new bootloader is causing problems with custom recoveries.

What I found for my device (you may get other results):

First:
  • If I install a custom recovery, I had trouble getting the OS to reboot upon leaving recovery mode.
  • Re-installing the stock KK recovery would fix this and allow it to boot. I recommend keeping a flashable version of the stock recovery on your SDcard.
  • Also, I found that using ANY software method to boot into recovery seemed to cause this issue. The only way I found that would work with a custom recovery was to POWER OFF; then use the 3-button method to boot into recovery. This allowed me to boot normally even with the custom recovery installed.

It seems that the bootloader may perform some sort of checksum verification, but only when recovery is booted via software methods (NOT when using the 3-button method).

Second:
  • Offline charging has been fixed with the new bootloader. It works just like it did in 4.1.2. When powered off and then plugged in, you will get the battery charging image and the OS will not boot up.

If you decide to flash the new T210R firmware package and then return to this rom, you can use the attached kernel update to have offline charging working on this rom. This kernel update does not use any LPM fixes, it works as intended with the new bootloader (not sure about old bootloader since I couldn't find a firmware package with old bootloader).

Attachments

• kerNole-1.03-update.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 965

zach61797

Oct 18, 2013
Wi
I flashed the entire T210R KK firmware and it seems that the new bootloader is causing problems with custom recoveries.

First:
  • If I install a custom recovery, I had trouble getting the OS to reboot upon leaving recovery mode.
  • Re-installing the stock KK recovery would fix this and allow it to boot. I recommend keeping a flashable version of the stock recovery on your SDcard.
  • Also, I found that using ANY software method to boot into recovery seemed to cause this issue. The only way I found that would work with a custom recovery was to POWER OFF; then use the 3-button method to boot into recovery. This allowed me to boot normally even with the custom recovery installed.

It seems that the bootloader may perform some sort of checksum verification, but only when recovery is booted via software methods (NOT when using the 3-button method).

Second:
  • Offline charging has been fixed with the new bootloader. It works just like it did in 4.1.2. When powered off and then plugged in, you will get the battery charging image and the OS will not boot up.

If you decide to flash the new T210R firmware package and then return to this rom, you can use the attached kernel update to have offline charging working on this rom. This kernel update does not use any LPM fixes, it works as intended with the new bootloader (not sure about old bootloader since I couldn't find a firmware package with old bootloader).

okay so does this mean i can use any recovery if i do a manual boot into recovery then it will work??

DevMyAndroid

Jul 11, 2014
Salt Lake City

First:

Second:

Could you upload a link to the odin 4.4.2?

konsti

Dec 18, 2007
Muppet Show

Hi @gr8nole, so just to understand as I got confused reading the latest pages (I apologize)

The original kernel in the v1.8 ROM that you released: does it need to be updated with newer kernel for the T210-Wi-Fi model?
If yes, I didn't find it on the first page add-ons…
Do we need to update the kernel that comes with your v1.8 ROM for the T210 Wi-Fi model?
Is this kernel v1.0.3 advised for T210 users?
And to include the T210R users such as yourself, what is advised? Kindly update the first page post (#3 I think) with your recommendations, just to avoid spending time searching again in the thread.

Many thanks for your continuous efforts!

HerroYou

Apr 21, 2013
Somewhere over the rainbow!!
Hi @gr8nole, so just to understand as I got confused reading the latest pages (I apologize)

The original kernel in the v1.8 ROM that you released: does it need to be updated with newer kernel for the T210-Wi-Fi model?
If yes, I didn't find it on the first page add-ons…
Do we need to update the kernel that comes with your v1.8 ROM for the T210 Wi-Fi model?
Is this kernel v1.0.3 advised for T210 users?
And to include the T210R users such as yourself, what is advised? Kindly update the first page post (#3 I think) with your recommendations, just to avoid spending time searching again in the thread.

Many thanks for your continuous efforts!

It depends on you, the newest kernel doesn't include the offline charging fix so it will work on the newest T210R firmware

Reactions: konsti

ruzell

Dec 1, 2013
Houston
Try turning off the device from recovery, then go to recovery mode with the button combination (power+volume up+home), now reboot. It seems working! Please tell me if works!

Yess fixed by deleting everything (even /system) and flashing again With Philz touch recovery. :D. Sorry i have reached my Thank limit per day. :(
@gr8nole The new kenel seems to fix the problems i was having :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NoleKat_logo1a.png

Welcome to NoleKat!

EVERYONE SHOULD READ POST #3 BEFORE CONTINUING

This rom initially started out as a port from the T211 KitKat release, but it has now been re-based on the T210 Italian KitKat firmware with kernel compiled from source. It is Touchwiz based and somewhat debloated.

It seems to be very stable.

Q & A
    thread is located HERE.

FEATURES
    Based on T210 Italy firmware
    Deodexed
    init.d
    sqlite
    Rooted
    Busybox
    App Ops enabled
    4-Way Reboot
    Most all apps that are available in the Play Store have been removed
    Added secondary symbols to keyboard (see screenshot)
    External sdcard fix for KitKat
    Newer (T310) launcher and Weather Widget
    Custom Boot Animation support
    Kids Mode Add-on (see post #2 add-ons)
    OGBattery Mod add-on (see post #2 add-ons)

INSTALLATION
    1. Download v2.1 full rom and the v2.2 update zip from link below
    2. Boot into your custom recovery (recommend Philz Touch)
    3. Perform a factory reset / full wipe (rom install does not wipe data)
    4. Flash 2.1 zip
    5. Then flash the v2.2 update
    6. Reboot and enjoy
    7. Report back any bugs you find

I recommend a full wipe, but you can always try a dirty flash. :cowboy:

NOTE ABOUT INTERNAL SDCARDS

Our 4.1.2 version roms use the /data/media directory as the "internal sdcard".
    4.2+ versions of Android use the /data/media/0 directory due to support for multiple users.
    If you switch to a different Android version, you need to be aware of this difference.
    I recommend wiping "internal sdcard" also before switching from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2.

Credits:
    @Unjustified Dev for getting kernel sources
    @bensonhsu2008 for initial port
    @ketut.kumajaya for continuing to support a device he doesn't even have

DOWNLOADS

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=17472

XDA:DevDB Information
    NoleKat, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

Contributors
    gr8nole
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-08-04
    Last Updated 2015-01-07
    Read this first

What's all this talk about bootloaders and firmware? Here is the answers to your questions.

Bootloaders do not change when you install a rom in recovery. Bootloaders also do not get backed up when you make a nandroid backup.

There are (at least) 2 versions of bootloaders that Samsung has released for our T210(R) tablets. Most people bought their tablet with the old bootloader version (some may have come with new version). The new bootloader is included with the recently released versions of the full KitKat firmware packages found on sites like sammobile.com.

The old bootloader does not properly work with offline charging in KitKat roms. If you plug your tablet in to charge while powered off, it will power on and boot into the OS. The touchscreen may not work (requiring a reboot) depending on which kernel version you have. It requires a customized kernel to work properly.

The new bootloader does work properly with offline charging. When plugged in while powered off, the tablet screen will show the battery icon, but will not boot into the OS. This is the same behavior as in previous Android 4.1.2 that we have been using. The new bootloader also fixes the glitches in recovery navigation.

Initially, the new bootloader was causing problems with custom recoveries (recovery bootloop), but that has been fixed. Update your custom recovery to the latest version.

If you decide to update to the new bootloader, you can do so by following these steps:

Firmware Update Installation
    1. Download the appropriate KitKat firmware version for your device from sammobile.com. (Don't ask me which region is the one for you. You make that decision).
    2. Install the full firmware package using Odin. There are many tutorials that explain how to do this. Google it.
    3. Download the latest custom recovery you wish to use (Odin version will end with ...tar.md5).
    4. Install custom recovery with Odin. Instructions are in the recovery threads.

That's it. At this point you have the new bootloader and recovery and can install whatever rom you like.

Take note that if you install the new bootloader and then return to a 4.1.2 rom, you will need to use the kernel I posted to get offline charging to work properly.
    ADD-ONS

Add-ons are available HERE

• Kids Mode Add-On See THIS post for more info.
      • V3 has been uploaded. The Drawing app has been fixed.
      • V2 has been uploaded. It adds a missing library file that caused the Kids Voice recorder to crash and installs all Kids apps to the /data partition (instead of system/priv-app) so the kids mode will survive a rom update.

• SlimNole Debloat - See THIS post for more info.

• OGBattery Mod See THIS post for more info. Flash the zip in recovery and follow instructions in Aroma installer.

• Unlock Effect Changer - This app will allow you to choose between 7 different lockscreen unlock effects. See THIS post and THIS post for more info.

• S-Voice app for our T210(R). It should install as normal app.

• KeyToggle.1.1 app. Made by me. This will toggle the setting to turn software navigation keys on/off. Very basic interface, needs root access. Should work for any device.

• Custom Boot Animation mod. Flash this zip in recovery. This mod to the bootanimation binary allows you to use your own custom boot animation. This zip contains my old SvelteNole boot animation (never released) in the /system/media folder as a sample. Just place your own bootanimation.zip (made for our device) in /system/media. If you delete the /system/media/bootanimation.zip, the standard AOSP style animation will play. Of course, if your animation doesn't currently display, this will not fix it.

• Samsung Photo Editor app for our T210(R). It should install as normal app.

• STOCK RECOVERY - This is the stock KK recovery in a recovery-flashable zip. See THIS post for why you may want this.

Stock NoleKat kernel available at link below for those who flashed another and wish to return to the included kernel.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95857557620392238

CHANGELOG

v2.2 (small update zip only)
    • Removed annoying safe volume warning popup when using headphones
    • Removed annoying Airplane Mode warning popup when toggling Airplane Mode

v2.1
    • Fixed folder naming to correct install when Old-Style launcher is selected.
    • Added DeBloat option to Aroma installer.
    • Added option to keep certain Samsung features AFTER debloat. This allows you to choose to keep certain Samsung apps even if you choose to debloat. See THIS post.

v2.0
    • Re-added "Reboot to Recovery" option to reboot menu
    • fixed Netflix on-screen controls
    • Added Aroma installer option for Dark themed Settings and Notification Panel (default is white)

v.1.9
    • Removed Recovery option from the Reboot menu. (only use 3-button method to boot into recovery).
    • Tweaked launcher for faster page scrolling
    • Black themed Settings
    • New kerNole.1.04 kernel (includes T210R KK source updates)
    • 4-way multiwindow

v1.8
    • Re-based on the T210 ITV KK sources
    • All the same features as before (such as App Ops, T310 launcher/weather, init.d, removed SDcard inserted nag...)
    • Werewolf kernel from @laufersteppenwolf
    • Reverted back to List-Style settings

v1.7
    • App Ops added to Settings Menu
    • Switched to Tabbed Settings Menu (will probably require data wipe)
    • Properly removed MobileData and WifiHotspot toggles (without init.d)
    • Enabled "Hide Applications" in app drawer (thanks @zach61797 for finding THIS mod)
    • Removed "earpiece" from audio policy
    • Added Stock Boot Animation option to Aroma installer

v1.6
    • Added Aroma installer for rom install
    • Fixed "Status" screen in Settings-About Device
    • Added T310 launcher and weather widget (stock T211 can be selected during install)
    • Added working init.d
    • Removed Mobile Data and WiFiHotspot quicksetting toggles (will be removed by init.d on 2nd reboot after install)
    • Added NoleKat boot animation
    • Added phservice back (with option to remove during installation)
    • Added sqlite
    • Added various init.d tweaks

v.1.5
    • Removed gr8nole (network mode) button from Power Menu
    • Added 4-way Reboot Menu
    • Updated kernel to fix boot animation issues
    • Removed smdexe, and simal binaries
    • Removed phservice binary. This is what was causing the cpu governor settings not to stick when changed. You should now be able to choose any of the stock governor settings and they will stick.
    • Adjusted auto-brightness settings
    • Added required apps for Screen casting fix.

v1.4
    • Updated SystemUI to remove SD card notification on startup
    • Switched to a multi-language Contacts app

v1.3 - Fixed IR (for T210R devices) (thanks @Unjustified Dev), added Contacts app and Stock Email (exchange works). Also changed the Power menu a little. ;)

v1.2 - Updated framework to remove phone features. This also removes phone signal icon in status bar. Small update zip only. You must flash full version of rom first.

v1.1 - Fixed root, no need to flash SuperSu zip.

v1.0 - Initial release
    v1.4 is online.

It is available as an update to previous version AND as a full rom.

Changelog:

v1.4
    • Updated SystemUI to remove SD card notification on startup
    • Switched to a multi-language Contacts app

If you already have a previous version installed, then just use the "update" zip. No wipes required.

If do not have a previous version of this rom installed; then choose the full rom and follow install instructions in first post.

Announcement

Family vacation starts this afternoon. No more updates for about 5 days. I will keep an eye on the thread during that time, I just won't be working on the rom.
    v1.5 update is up. You need to already be on version 1.4 before flashing the v1.5 update. Flash in recovery, no wipe required, but since there is a new android.policy.jar, your cache will rebuild anyways on first boot.

Changelog:

v.1.5
    • Removed gr8nole (network mode) button from Power Menu
    • Added 4-way Reboot Menu
    • Updated kernel to fix boot animation issues
    • Removed smdexe, and simal binaries
    • Removed phservice binary. This is what was causing the cpu governor settings not to stick when changed. You should now be able to choose any of the stock governor settings and they will stick.
    • Adjusted auto-brightness settings
    • Added required apps for Screen casting fix.