Edited 30/1/2012: My GPS 100% fixed (21/4/11 PICS ADDED)

Search This thread

betoNL

I tried this hardware fix but i can't see any improvement on my SGS (I9000 bought JULY 2010). Pressure on the top of the ANTENNA has no effect on the values given by GPS test

And i also tried all the softwares fixes found here on XDA => none of them worked

For information : My GPS is sometimes able to lock satellites indoor...
Outdoor, i can see 8 or more satellites => BUT... when i move, the signal is immediately lost and it always take long minutes to lock again : that makes my GPS totally unusable (especially in a car).

For those still having gps problems, consider the use of an cheap/compact external bluetooth gps receiver, which works like a charm on any device running any version of Android.

On my first video (old) I am using the Nokia LW30 (if I remember well) which got a sirfstar3 chipset and got a large battery (replaceable) that seems to last forever ( I hardly charge it).

The video (on my signature) also shows how to use it...

Good luck

« »

mzone1510

Jan 2, 2011
Goa\Kuwait
Well I tried it on my I9003, and applying pressure does not have a big effect but removing the back panel makes my GPS lot better! I wonder why?...

jmgg2k

Feb 11, 2011
I can confirm that this works for me! Got a lock in two seconds and the arrow followed my path perfectly while I was on the bus, a feat that seemed impossible before! Thanks a million! :):):)

If I let go of the antenna the gps loses it signal straight away..

if you put presure right before it locks, should work

Reactions: sxi200

Higadeb

Sep 10, 2010
Worked well for me, but I found it slightly tricky to get right.
I tried using double sided tape but then the casing wouldn't close properly and the gps signal kept on dropping completely.
After a bit of experimenting I've worked out that a TINY ball of blu-tac placed at the top and then flattened out with the thumb before applying the back plate seems to give the best results for me. The casing is slightly warped over the volume rocker, but the blu-tac being blu-tac holds it in place firmly whilst applying pressure on the GPS so long as you can get all of the corner clips secured down properly.

Shujitzu

Nov 19, 2008
This has also work for me. done it with the blue tack but now I don't wan't to take the cover as the tack might change position.
Im on darky ressurection 9.2 and tried this on google map and copilot for three days now. GPS signal is accurate and locking after a few seconds.
Thanks

sonof

Aug 16, 2010
Just use a little bit of tape to attach a small piece of toilet paper. A nice cushion and works wonders. That's what I did :)

stocki78

Sep 16, 2008
Hi,

Unfortunately the g-spot trick did not work for me, so I decided to look a little closer and removed the plastic housing.
Another guy installed on the metal thingys there a cable and I did some test, too. Again no improvement with different cables and lengths.
But while fiddling around with the metal connector I thought maybe lifting it could help and indeed this was the trick for me. Improved my gps dramatically!
So instead of something pushing the antenna tighter, the metal connector now pushes harder and improves the signal quality.
Maybe a solution for some of you too...

Br stocki

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Premium App

allotrios

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks stocki

Maybe sxi200 can edit the main post and add your suggestion as an alternative for when the simple approach doesn't work?

AndroidHemroid

Sep 18, 2010
Confirmed! This is is ridiculous! I've NEVER had satellites even visible in my concrete&steel
apt. building, now i got 8-10 visible + 6-8 locks... Samsung owes the inventor of this $$$.

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Well my gps has deteriorated over the last month to the point that I could no longer get a lock under any conditions. I pushed my finger on that spot and watched the bars shootup in GPS test. Went from 3 in view and 0 locked to 9 in view and 9 locked almost immediately. Samsung needs to do a recall and fix this ****. Tape trick works great but why should we have to Macguyver a $600 phone?!?

Thank you to the OP, at least now I have gps again and its much better than its ever been.

leizureman

Feb 21, 2011
Great news! I really did seem to help! I'm not gonna stick anything on it yet, gonna test and see if it loosens again. if it does, then helps with the pushing again, i'm going for tape.

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Has anyone actually bothered to take their phone to a Samsung service center or is everyone just perfectly happy with bits of tape hanging off their expensive hardware?

In other words has someone pointed this out to Samsung and if so what was their response?

allotrios

Sep 20, 2010
my roll'd over and died......no but serzly my gps went from 10 sats to 5 sats .......

the first thing it says in the original post is that if you can get reception then this is not for you... if you get 10 sats you don't have the problem that this trick is addressing and your issue is probably software related.

try simply honey rom 3.2 with damian 2.1 kernel, it made a big difference in my locking times and number of satellites found

allotrios

Sep 20, 2010
Has anyone actually bothered to take their phone to a Samsung service center or is everyone just perfectly happy with bits of tape hanging off their expensive hardware?

In other words has someone pointed this out to Samsung and if so what was their response?

i would have to take time off work to go to a service centre so i didn't do it

it is definitely a good idea if someone has the time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: 30/1/2012.

Just a follow up on this fix. Well, got sick of constantly having to replace the tape under the battery cover. Over time it flattens, so since I now use the S2 as my daily phone I decided to open it up.

First I found the GPS connection on the motherboard. It connects to / touches a small metal piece on the inside of the rear housing. It's like a U shaped connector so I decided to lift it up with my fingernail.

For a little while it worked great but the problem returned. So I decided to open it up again and lift the connector even higher. Unfortunately I broke it leaving only a flat bottom metal piece on the motherboard side. There was now no way for the 2 pieces to touch so I screwed it completely.

So I then decided to solder a small bit on the rear housing side. I did that and put it back together. Ever since then the GPS has truely been 100% fixed. It hasn't missed a beat over the last 3 or so months of trying.

END EDIT.

NOTE: This is a hardware fix for those whose GPS is completely busted (NO sat views & lock). It is NOT a fix to improve tracking or lock or make an already working GPS better.

After flashing every modem, fw and kernal version I had completely given up on my galaxy s GPS. It had to be a hardware fault.

Back when I first got it, it was OK but a few months later became useless. This fix is hardware related and takes only minutes to diagnose and fix.

It's also probably more useful for pre-October models (i9000 international) which had this fault.

I do not take credit for finding out the fix. Credit for that goes to member 'allottios' (who heard about it from 'cbdrift') for bringing it to my attention on another forum topic.

The fix is simple. Remove the back cover and to the right of the speaker is the GPS antenna. It is covered by what looks like some sort of soft plastic tape.

Now open a GPS test app and then apply light pressure to the very top of the antenna with your finger. NOT the middle or bottom - that makes it worse.

If, like me your GPS shows instant improvement then you have just worked out your problem.

Simply attach a small piece of double sided tape or similar to the top of the antenna so that when you put the back cover on again their is pressure on that spot.

Hope you get the same results I did.

Edit: PICS ADDED: 1ST PIC - AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER, YOU CAN SEE A WHITE STRIP WHICH IS THE DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE I ATTACHED TO THE TOP OF THE GPS ANTENNA. I DID NOT PEEL THE TOP LAYER FROM THE TAPE SO IT WOULDN'T STICK TO THE BACK COVER.

IMG_0268.jpg, IMG_0270.jpg

Edit (03/05) - If this fix doesn't help, you may also want to try out another fix posted by 'stockie78' (post 209).

There is also a link below for more detail, including pics for this fix.

It is not as simple as the above fix and it involves removing the housing. I have not tried / tested this myself and am not responsible if you break your phone.

"stockie78

Unfortunately the g-spot trick did not work for me, so I decided to look a little closer and removed the plastic housing.
    Another guy installed on the metal thingys there a cable and I did some test, too. Again no improvement with different cables and lengths.
    But while fiddling around with the metal connector I thought maybe lifting it could help and indeed this was the trick for me. Improved my gps dramatically!
    So instead of something pushing the antenna tighter, the metal connector now pushes harder and improves the signal quality.
    Maybe a solution for some of you too..."

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878970

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    Hard to believe that Samsung is so dumb that they could not have done this fix at factory level or it may be a conscious decision not to have the gps signal powerful enough.

My i9003 was not having any gps locking issue but earlier it worked only outdoors & would lock in 15-20 sec with 10mt-50mt accuracy.

I took kitchen foil & folded it few times to make 1cm area of antenna cover with it...................................cant believe the gps NOW works indoors & locks in 10-15 sec with 7-8 satellites in view. I tested indoors with 1 floor above & 2 floor above. In a multi story building it locks perfectly in a drawing room, in small rooms you take it near windows & it locks perfectly............................amazing.

Outdoors it locks instantly within 2-3 sec under clear sky with constant 5mt accuracy to 11-12 satellites.

So I took the gps on a 800kms drive & after extensively using it now I am confident that I can fully depend on it, one downside is that gps using sucks battery fast so gps constant use need a car charger which now I need to buy.

Samsung route 66 shows navigation perfectly with 5mt inaccuracy, on the way I could locate restaurants, petrol pumps etc well in advance in a new cities which otherwise I didn't have any clue about.

Here are few screenshot I took at various location as proof, now I constantly get 30-40SNR in gps test with constant 5mt accuracy.

This post has images showing how pressing that area with tape helps the gps signal wire underneath.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13190989&postcount=4
    Samsung should buy you more than one beer!

How much money did they spent to fix that issue?

Thanks man!
    I am glad it helps sxi200! Thanks for the credit. I got the idea by reading this post by cbdrift so a lot of credit should go to him too!

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9426709&postcount=120
    Hi,

Maybe a solution for some of you too...

Br stocki

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Premium App