[APP][1.6+] AppExtractor v1.5.4 - ROM Manager Companion

Search This thread

negative13

Dec 28, 2010
www.bernardochang.com
Titanium does this already, no?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

This uses a nandroid backup instead of titanium backup. Basically, instead of having two separate backups, nandroid and titanium, you can use your nandroid to recover apks and data instead of using titanium, saving space and time as a result.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Reactions: MoTTTo

rosswaa

Apr 13, 2010
What I meant was titanium can extract from nandroids already, its been added in for ages now used it quite a few times

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

flensrowi

Oct 9, 2009
Flensburg
What I meant was titanium can extract from nandroids already, its been added in for ages now used it quite a few times
According to the changelog "[PRO] Added the ability to estore individual app (with their data) directly from a ClockworkMod 5 backup." was introduced with Titanium Backup 4.6.0 whcih has been released an Oct 31, 2011.

willian7

Feb 25, 2011
I'm still having problems when trying to restore user apps (1.5.4): "Unable to generate APK listing"

:(

droeders

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!

I just published a new version (1.5.3). Can you see if this works when restoring your data now? Did you reboot after restoring SMS / Wifi?

I'm looking into changing the way that SMS / MMS messages are restored... a more reliable way that would hopefully work across different ROMS. I'm deving / testing on a DX so it limits me... I'm able to restore CM7 SMS messages without issue so I'm curious why this may not be working for you.

Proper SMS/MMS restore across different ROMs would be the holy grail for me - enough for me to spring/donate for this app and then some.

I've been trying to use Titanium and/or MyBackup Pro to restore SMS/MMS messages from a Sense based ROM to AOSP and it's giving me fits. After restoring the messages to the AOSP ROM, the MMS messages are always split off from their original conversations. I see the same behavior with the stock messaging app, Chomp, Handcent or GoSMS. With the Sense ROM and Sense messaging app, these same MMS messages are embedded with all the other SMS messages from the same sender. I haven't yet tried your application for this same test.

I was actually to the point that I was going to try to develop my own solution, but I stumbled across AppExtractor last night. It doesn't sound like it's fully mature yet, but your quote above gives me hope. For the record, I would be happy to test and/or help with coding if I can assist here at all. I'm an embedded Linux engineer by day, and haven't yet delved into Android, but I suspect I could assist. At a minimum, I certainly have a great test case I'd be willing to report on.

I've actually looked into my issue a bit and I think the messaging apps are getting confused by the non-standard schema of the HTC mmssms.db file. I can probably massage my mmssms.db file to make this work, but I'm looking for something more robust - a solution that I could trust going forward.

Let me know if I can assist in any way!

pesho00

Mar 8, 2008
Today i have tryed it ( a free version) - generating listo of all applications - app crash, user app's only - OK, but it restores only ONE app (the first one) and no one else despite saing 5 apps:(

It was on SGS2 with beta ICS 4.0.3

damastah

Jun 29, 2009
Desert Hot Springs
Hi Jones,
Would it be possible for you to include an option to for eg. extract from the rom image the settings or the apk or both (as chosen by the user) and recompile it into a new image (only the setting or only apk or both)?

I may be looking for the same thing. Maybe a flashable zip containing apps, settings, data that we can restore universally. Im constantly installing new custom roms and Its a pain to have to install apps individually and the reflash gapps, tibu, and a file manager.... I just dont know how to create my own flashable zips.

Josh2905

Jan 25, 2012
This app works great and is really helpfull, but whenever i restore some apps they wont show up in my market. I know, this is not an app-related bug, but i still want to recieve update notifications for my apps. Is there a way to import them into my market?

Thanks for your help!

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20
This app works great and is really helpfull, but whenever i restore some apps they wont show up in my market. I know, this is not an app-related bug, but i still want to recieve update notifications for my apps. Is there a way to import them into my market?

Thanks for your help!

Titanium Backup app:
Menu> Market Tools > Market Doctor.

Sent from ICS Cappy!

doumer

Jun 7, 2010
Stuttgart
Hi, i've been using ur ap on my dhd for quite some time and lovinv it. But on my xoom it always say "cant create apk list" when i select an nandroid. Any idea what can fix this?
I'm on team eos nightly and using rouge recovery 1.3, which is based on cwm.

Edit: appextractor tried to put the extracted files to the internal memory which caused the error. When extracting to the sd-card, everything works fine :)

Last edited:

Morganator

Mar 30, 2011
London
I'm getting an "Unable to generate apk listing" message with restoring apps. It manages to list system apps but not user apps.

scandiun

Jul 12, 2010
I'm still having problems when trying to restore user apps (1.5.4): "Unable to generate APK listing"

:(

I'm getting an "Unable to generate apk listing" message with restoring apps. It manages to list system apps but not user apps.

Same error here. It happens with both user and system apps.

rw8jh0.jpg

hellhawk741

Jul 23, 2009
Can't get it to work with AmonRa recovery even after pointing it to the directory where the nandroid files are.

Sent from my Rezound using XDA

igorgomez

Dec 9, 2010
Brasília
Is possible to perform the "restore wifi settings" with the information from CM7 to CM9? Is there any problem already reported in this operation?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been working on an app called AppExtractor. It's meant to be a companion app to ROM Manager in that it allows you to restore individual apps, data, SMS / MMS messages, Contacts / Call Logs, and Wifi Settings from your ROM Manager backups.

AppExtractor is compatible with backups created by ClockworkMod Recovery 5 as well as previous versions of CWM Recovery.

If you are interested, you can find it on the Market here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handyandy.appextractor

For those who cannot install from the Market, I have included the APK in this post.

Please let me know what you think!

Screenshots:

ss-480-0-0

ss-480-1-0

ss-480-2-0

ss-480-3-0

Thanks for your help!

Titanium Backup app:
    Menu> Market Tools > Market Doctor.

Sent from ICS Cappy!
    Does app extractor work similar to titanium backup? Or does it work in an entirely different way?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

AppExtractor will let you extract and restore apps / data from your Nandroid backups. Instead of making a separate app/data backup, you can just use a Nandroid backup to restore from. I believe Titanium Backup Pro has this functionality now as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I really hope this was what I've been looking for so long!

Does your original post mean that some kind of output from your app can be used to flash back programs and their settings from the CWM?

If yes, I'd like to make a request.

More often than not, the apks are updated, but the settings are generally the same. Is it possible to give an option to just restore the settings of the selected apps only without restoring the apps? I saw that this is possible through your program ... want to know if its possible through the CWM.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Ok, so I got it from the market and now I understand a bit more. The idea is great. However, although it appears to be free, it is not. The user has to pay for SMS/MMS. The user is limited to restoring just 5 apps.

Fine, so, its limited! Maybe you should rename it as "lite" as otherwise it could be misleading.
    Seems to be working for me, thought I haven't restored anything actually. But both my backups are visible and the app give the list of application all right.