HP Slate 7 2800 [HOW-TO ROOT AND INSTALL CWM RECOVERY]

Search This thread

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
This guide will teach you the easiest method to root and install CWM on your HP Slate 7 2800! These instructions are for Linux, but you should be able to do this on Windows with the correct drivers instead of the android.rules files.

HP Slate 4600: I need someone to test this with the 4600!

DISCLAIMER: This was successfully tested on my HP Slate 7 2800 on Linux Mint 17. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR TAB IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!! Proceed at your own risk!

How to Root:

1. Download Cydia Impactor from http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ and install it.

2. Download and install adb. There are multiple ways to do this. One way is to install the Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and install adb through the SDK manager.

3. Download the android.rules.zip from https://sites.google.com/site/jrc2swebsite/downloads/hp-slate-7-2800 and extract the .zip file.

4. Move the two **-android.rules files to /etc/udev/rules.d and mark as executable. Restart your computer.

5. Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options on the tablet. Connect it to the computer.

6. Open the Terminal Emulator on your computer and change the directory to the path where adb is located like this: cd insert/path/for/adb/ (hit enter)

7. Start adb and scan for devices by running sudo ./adb devices (hit enter.) You should see a serial number with the word device next to it.

8. Minimize adb and start Cydia Impactor. Make sure it says "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su." Click "Start." If you get a no device found error, click "Bridge" > "Connect" and then click start again.

9. Reboot your tablet. Download Root Checker from the Play Store to make sure you are rooted. Follow the tutorial in the next post for installing CWM Recovery and the SuperSU app to control which apps are granted root access.

Last edited:

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
DISCLAIMER: This was successfully tested on my HP Slate 7 2800 on Linux Mint 17. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR TAB IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!! Proceed at your own risk!

How to Install CWM Recovery and SuperSU:

Download CWM Recovery for the Slate 7 2800 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49165523&postcount=1 and install following the instructions in the post.

Install SuperSU:

Download the latest SuperSU from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu and flash in CWM Recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Von Bleaux

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
Credits:

@Chainfire (SuperSU)
@rjwil1086 (CWM Recovery)
www.cydiaimpactor.com (Cydia Impactor)
Android/Google (Android SDK)
@jrc2 [me] (android.rules files)
Whoever taught me how to make the android.rules

If I left you out (I promise it was an accident,) please send me a PM and I will add you to this list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Von Bleaux

math_green20

Nov 7, 2012
Cydia is not working anymore with fw version 1.05.17, has anyone found a way to root the new fw? or to mount /system as rw? please let me know if you guys have anything

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
Cydia is not working anymore with fw version 1.05.17, has anyone found a way to root the new fw? or to mount /system as rw? please let me know if you guys have anything
Did the slate 7 have a software update? I will have to check that out. Just to make sure, what is your model number?

math_green20

Nov 7, 2012
it is a 2800. I've tried some of the one-click root apps, scripts, and nothing seems to do it, Hp did a nice job at patching this stuff :)

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

if you have any old update.zip from 1.05.14 or 1.05.10 and can send it to me you'd make my day :)

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
it is a 2800. I've tried some of the one-click root apps, scripts, and nothing seems to do it, Hp did a nice job at patching this stuff :)

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

if you have any old update.zip from 1.05.14 or 1.05.10 and can send it to me you'd make my day :)

I'll post the link if I have it. Do you know what Android version this update is?

jrc2

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013

HP has updated their website and only has the new update.zip there. The only thing I know of is a CWM flashable version of the old update.zip. You can find that at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608181

Looking at other threads, the OTA does make rooting no longer possible.

jrc2

math_green20

Nov 7, 2012
I'll post the link if I have it. Do you know what Android version this update is?

jrc2

It is still 4.1.1, I'm back on 1.05.6(The stock CWM flashable one), Idk how I did this but i've been able to get CWM back on my device without rooting, I tried to modify boot.img to disable the install-recovery.sh script, this got me stuck in a bootloop but allowed me to flash CWM and the old firmware back in, I guess I got lucky :)

I got the stock kernel and the Rk30_sdk one to compile but I don't understand how to repack it in boot.img, bootloop everytime. :(

Thanks for the help anyway buddy.

We should make an all-in-one post for this device with firmwares, CWM, rooting options and stuff

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
It is still 4.1.1, I'm back on 1.05.6(The stock CWM flashable one), Idk how I did this but i've been able to get CWM back on my device without rooting, I tried to modify boot.img to disable the install-recovery.sh script, this got me stuck in a bootloop but allowed me to flash CWM and the old firmware back in, I guess I got lucky :)

I got the stock kernel and the Rk30_sdk one to compile but I don't understand how to repack it in boot.img, bootloop everytime. :(

Thanks for the help anyway buddy.

We should make an all-in-one post for this device with firmwares, CWM, rooting options and stuff

I sort of started that in the 2nd or 3rd post here, titled "Useful Links".

Last edited:

Oddy94

Sep 8, 2015
I simply can't root this device.

Cydia Impactor responds with "signature bugs unavailable" and all this Chinese 1-click root stuff doesn't work at all.
Tried on Linux Mint and Windows 7 (both x64).

The problem might be my firmware, which is v1.05.18_user.
This is the stock firmware that was preinstalled on my tablet.

How can i downgrade the firmware?

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013
I simply can't root this device.

Cydia Impactor responds with "signature bugs unavailable" and all this Chinese 1-click root stuff doesn't work at all.
Tried on Linux Mint and Windows 7 (both x64).

The problem might be my firmware, which is v1.05.18_user.
This is the stock firmware that was preinstalled on my tablet.

How can i downgrade the firmware?

Sorry I didn't see your post until now! I do not have the latest firmware on my tablet, so I haven't experienced this problem (I decided not to update after seeing the reports of people being unable to update. @math_green20 somehow managed to get it downgraded, but I do not know exactly how he did it. You might be able to figure out something from the previous posts in this thread.

Have a great day!
jrc2

Top Liked Posts