[ROM/KERNEL] OFFICIAL CM11.0 + 3.0.72 Kernel for Kindle Fire [NIGHTLIES]

Search This thread

mlpmail

Dec 7, 2005
My kindle is dead and whenever I try to charge it, It boots to bootloader for a second shuts off and repeats over and over and over. If you can help PLEASE REPLY.

Using this kernel with AOKP

Are you using he AC adapter? Once the battery gets discharged too far the only way to get the device recharged is to use AC adapter. USB won't put out enough current to boot far enough to start charging. This is a Kindle issue not caused by this kernel.

Last edited:

backspacepc

May 25, 2008
Denham Springs
Are you using he AC adapter? Once the battery gets discharged too far the only way to get the device recharged is to use AC adapter. USB won't put out enough current to boot far enough to start charging. This is a Kindle issue not caused by this kernel.

The AC adapter puts out 1000 mV where as USB only puts out 100. If the AC adapter doesn't work then you might have a hardware issue. I would suggest leaving it plugged into AC for at least 10 mins before attempting to power it back up. If that doesn't work then you may have damaged the battery which is very unlikely.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

HaiKaiDo

Mar 12, 2010
The AC adapter puts out 1000 mV where as USB only puts out 100. If the AC adapter doesn't work then you might have a hardware issue. I would suggest leaving it plugged into AC for at least 10 mins before attempting to power it back up. If that doesn't work then you may have damaged the battery which is very unlikely.

Yeah Ive had this happen to me before. It actually happened to me the day i got the device cause iw as messing with it so much. Just plug it into the wall and make sure it is indeed not trying to turn on and walk away for an hour. That should fix it.

Techlyfe

Agreed, although USB 2.0 can put out up to 500 mA it's just that the kindle itself can use well over that 500 mA just with the screen on lowest setting and sitting on a home screen. And usb 3.0 can put out up to 900 mA. But yes, just plug it to the OEM wall plug. Some aftermarket plugs cant produce the necessary power.

mlpmail

Dec 7, 2005

The trouble is when it is dead just plugging in the power causes it to boot before it will charge, it runs out of power and the whole thing starts over. Thats is why you need the added current available with the stock charger just to get it working again. I don't know if USB 3.0 provides enough.

Jaimemex

Jan 11, 2010
Is overheating still a known issue? The lower back of my kindle fire still overheats when wifi is on and when charging....

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using xda premium

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Is overheating still a known issue? The lower back of my kindle fire still overheats when wifi is on and when charging....

You need to differentiate overheating from warm to the touch.

Find yourself a G2x, plug in a mini HDMI plug, and that my friend, is what real "overheating" is, granted you had one of the faulty g2x. It would get so hot you wouldn't be able to hold it against your face, let alone the fear that the damn battery would explode.

RebelebeR

Mar 18, 2012
Amarillo

My KF stays plugged in to the charger and wifi connected all of the time when I am home. It's never even gotten warm to the touch. I have a battery app that also gives the temperature of the battery. Assuming it is correct the battery has never gotten any warmer than 98 degrees. This being said, I don't imagine anything on my KF has gotten more than a few degrees higher than that.

Reactions: Jaimemex

Jaimemex

Jan 11, 2010
My KF stays plugged in to the charger and wifi connected all of the time when I am home. It's never even gotten warm to the touch. I have a battery app that also gives the temperature of the battery. Assuming it is correct the battery has never gotten any warmer than 98 degrees. This being said, I don't imagine anything on my KF has gotten more than a few degrees higher than that.

Are u running the latest version of the kernel? #7? Because my kindle has gotten very hot to the point I feared it mite cause screen damage...maybe I'll try a clean install again or going back 2 stock then flashing back to CM9 to see if that will help...:confused:

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
About HD video in HW decoder...

it seems that when playing videos on HW sometimes frames per second reduced to 17 frames ... If you watch a third-party player like BS Player and use setup "System video decoder" that are visible decrease in fps. If you put in the same setting for "BS Player Engine" fps is always at 23-24.

astmario

Dec 8, 2009
Belgrade
Same for MP4 and MKV containers? Other video player programs?
That is played from device, I assume that LAN playback is still software mode only?

EDIT Mod's should move this post to general thread so we do not clog here.

Last edited:

alan110112

Sep 18, 2011
(Not completely) OT: Hashcode, I think will be useful to put a volume control in clock menu of your rom, like the one in first ics rom for kindle fire... if it is possible.

Reactions: PowSniffer0110

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
(Not completely) OT: Hashcode, I think will be useful to put a volume control in clock menu of your rom, like the one in first ics rom for kindle fire... if it is possible.

Both the volume and brightness controls are part of the custom UI framework we were using, that same framework repo is the one that was causing peoples recent build issues; subsequently Hashcode said he would be removing said framework (to avoid CM sync/build issues) until the kernel was more stable (one possible reason for this would be that someone has to update the framework repo with CM changes anytime they change something in another repo which requires framework changes)... In other words I expect we will have the volume and brightness controls back in the not too distant future.

Reactions: freefaling

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Both the volume and brightness controls are part of the custom UI framework we were using, that same framework repo is the one that was causing peoples recent build issues; subsequently Hashcode said he would be removing said framework (to avoid CM sync/build issues) until the kernel was more stable (one possible reason for this would be that someone has to update the framework repo with CM changes anytime they change something in another repo which requires framework changes)... In other words I expect we will have the volume and brightness controls back in the not too distant future.

As a matter of fact they will be in the next build that I do.

I was originally trying to find an elegant way of adding the volume slider without customizing the frameworks code, but I was pointed to a gerrit review where the volume will be added to the notification area in the not too distant future (hopefully).

So I have my local framework patched for now.

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
So I have my local framework patched for now.
Are you going to push these changes to your github (maybe just by creating a test branch)?

Edit: Nevermind. To remove bluetooth/wifi and add the volume slider to the status bar I cloned your android_frameworks_base repo, merged in the latest CM changes and compiled. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STEP 1: DOWNLOAD TWRP 2.7.x.x and UPDATE (REQUIRED FOR 4.4):
    EDIT: @Dees_Troy has an official 2.7.x.x w/ SElinux support here:
    http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/blaze/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-otter.img
    Flash with the following adb commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    idme bootmode 4002
    reboot
    # back in your PC shell
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-otter.img

If you have problems with that file and/or don't want to use adb/fastboot flash method, you can download a flashable .zip from the following locations. Use your existing recovery to flash the update:
    Mirror 1: Download (Goo.im)

BEFORE FLASHING ANDROID 4.4: PERFORM A WIPE + ADVANCED->FORMAT SYSTEM TWRP.

STEP 2: DOWNLOAD A BUILD OF CM11.0:
    DO NOT USE ART YET. BUGGY AND WILL PROBABLY NEED A DATA WIPE TO RECOVER FROM

NIGHTLIES:
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=otter

GAPPS (Use Version "CM 11" row):
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Older builds are found here:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/cm10/
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/cm10.1/
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/cm10.2/

GAPPS (For Android 4.3/CM10.2 builds):
    http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip

CHANGES:
    • [05/15] More audio updates to fix low-power states (screen off / background music)
    • [11/25] Released updated build for cm11.0
    • [08/12] Kernel updated to 3.0.72 (on par w/ Google/common kernel)
    • [07/30] Updated to CM10.2 build
    • [05/26] Backlight driver update to help w/ SODs
    • [05/24] Sensor updates (includes light sensor now usable in Android OS
    • [05/24] Reverted 2 sound driver commits in the kernel to help w/ headset function -- testing needed.
    • [05/14] New audio driver (WIP)
    • [03/27] Reboot Recovery mode is now fixed
    • [01/17] Updated SGX/PowerVR driver to latest binaries from omapzoom (still showing 1.9@2166536)
    • [01/15] CM10.1 updates + reverted some USB changes in the kernel for sleep testing
    • [01/07] Battery life / sleep improvements
    • [01/06] Update to 3.0.50 kernel
    • [01/06] Update wifi firmware to R5.SP3.06
    • [12/16] Fixed Deep Sleep
    • [12/15] Added multi-profile fix

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES:
    • The headphone MIC input is not functioning correctly yet. Work in progress.

KERNEL FEATURES:
    • [08/12] Mainline version updates to 3.0.72 updated to current with Google's kernel/common
    • [01/06] WLAN Firmware R5.SP3.06
    • [11/07] Updated to SGX/IMG DDK 1.9@2166536 for Android (via omapzoom)
    • [11/07] WLAN Firmware R5.SP3.03
    • [09/05] Updated to SGX/IMG DDK 1.9.RC2@2139099 for Android
    • Based on TI kernel 4AI.1.7 (3.0.31 mainline) which supports 512M memory mapping needed by the Kindle Fire
    • Uses ducati binary from TI based on rpmsg 1.20.5.11 (replaced Archos ducati binary from ICS 4.0.3)
    • Kernel audio: Added a switch device "h2w" which allows the OS to recognize headset plug events and adjust audio capture routes accordingly. Translation: OS can recognize we have a MIC input via headset now. (NOTE: that audio recording is still not working at this time. Tho it is very close).
    • MUCH better standby / sleep function. The device will go inactive for much longer periods of time (80-100 seconds) while still waking up appropriately for wifi events, power button triggers, etc. And this is still going to get even better when I re-implement DPLL cascading and the charger fixes coming later.
    • Many bugfixes pulled down from TI's omapzoom sources.

RESERVED FOR NOTES

XDA:DevDB Information
    Official CyanogenMod 11.0 for Kindle Fire 1st Edition, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
    Hashcode
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-05-01
    Last Updated 2014-05-21
    UPDATED 2013-11-25 for CM11.0/CM10.2/CM10.1

DEVELOPER BUILDING:
    Several patches are outstanding in CM's review so building this from source is currently not an option w/o some Cherry Picks:
    Patch 1: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/53917/
    Patch 2: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54562/

And I'll be updating more of the cm11.0 gits tonight w/ changes to the build / extract files processes.
    Won't get a decent build till that's all done.

KNOWN BUGS:
    1. EHCI USB 2.0 isn't able to be add to the kernel w/o it crashing. Need to fix for higher speed USB transfers.
    6. Headset recording via the MIC input jack doesn't work

DEVS
    BUILDING THIS ROM:

First, read through Google's Android website about "how to setup a build environment":
    http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

Then you can setup the Kindle Fire by doing the following:
    mkdir android
    cd android
    (Use main repo for CyanogenMod 10.2)
    repo init -u https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android -b cm-10.2
    repo sync
    vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    . build/envsetup.sh && brunch otter
    [09/16] CM10 STOCK + 4AI.1.7 KERNEL [STABLE]
    Download Here
    md5sum: b5746745f62c20ed5f6a2520ca506982

Changes for 09/16:
    • Charging is now fixed. Including basic OTG support. Test away and I can make tweaks as needed. There may be a bug where adb doesn't restart after OTG devices are enabled.
    • Backlight / Panel driver updated. This was probably causing some of the battery drain.

EDIT: "now" fixed.

Enjoy.
    I just wanted to do a quick update:

Got my new device yesterday, and immediately put twrp, fff 1.4a and ICS on it.

Should be good to pick up where I left off w/ the kernel now.

Hope to have a new version in a few days.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    New kernel/ROM based on the 4AI.1.7 release are getting a lot better (IMHO) so I'm probably going to do another kernel/ROM release here soon.

Here's an update of what's coming in the next release:

1. Kernel Audio source: Added a switch device "h2w" which allows the OS to recognize headset plug events and adjust audio capture routes accordingly. Translation: OS can recognize we have a MIC input via headset now.
    2. Audio HAL module: updated to TI's latest source to help with #1 and future support for USB audio, etc.
    3. Lights HAL module: removed conflicting battery light operations. The kernel manages the battery light entirely. The OS should almost never do anything with it.
    4. (NEW to JB) Power HAL module: used by the OS for temporarily kicking up the CPU during certain events (using the interactive governor) -- this makes the system more responsive. This feature is also still under development over time and I'll continue to update it.
    5. HW acceleration / graphics buffer system: Completely updated sources from TI for the hwcomposer, libion and other graphics / buffer systems
    6. Along w/ #5 I was able to roll up to the latest PowerVR driver 1.9@2130229 (up from 1.8@945322 in the last build). I noted right off the bat
    less GL issues and smoother game play.

I may take a night or 2 and continue to play with the MIC settings to see if we can get it working, and that would be the delay in this release (if any).

But, in general, the build for the Kindle Fire is a getting a lot cleaner (IMHO). And that's always a good thing.

Still working on:

- Memory management: I'm still not happy with how the OS is unloading certain processes at times (acore?!), and I'll be working with some of the ROM devs to setup better memory management in this main sources at GitHub. No reason why every dev should need to work that stuff out.
    - MIC function. Getting close, but I need to probably spend 2-3 more nights following audio routes and watching the OS setup the Audio input devices when the headset is plugged in.
    - Charger function. This is the big kahuna. Been a while since I worked on it, probably time to jump back into it.