[TOOL][4.4+][UPDATE V2] Switch D2A_RT - Switch between runtimes easily from Recovery

Do you want Wipe Dalvik Cache Option in the AROMA Tool?

• Total voters
Search This thread
Switch D2A_RT
Tool by hnkotnis

SmF5zNs.png

Hello Everyone!

I installed CM11 Kitkat on my Samsung Galaxy S Plus. I didn't wanted to activate the Developer's option in settings for next 5 days (Because I don't want my friends mess around). But I wanted to switch over to ART. So I had such idea that I can do this from recovery.
But I also had idea, due to my previous work with Aroma Installer, that I can create a single zip that can revert back to Dalvik also.

I found that after Factory Restore runtime is set to Dalvik again.
So I concluded that it is stored in /data
After messing around with the /data partition, I found where selected runtime is saved.
I created such a zip and I am sharing with you.

Meanwhile, when I was writing this thread, similar thread suggest showed me another tool of XDA Senior Member husen4u.
However his tool has 2 different files required to be flashed.
I did not copy his work, but runtime change code is same for all Android 4.4+, however I still give him credits, because he created similar project first.

So I present you my new tool :- Switch D2A_RT

So general idea is this tool can change ART <------> Dalvik from single zip.

Downloads:-
TESTED OK
File is attached at bottom of this post.
Current Version :- 2.0
Release Date :- 15th April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 0f50fa11df8452f75e83a5bff2bee78a
Scanned with VirusTotal. NO VIRUS FOUND!
Detection ratio :- 0/51
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/35552560f6c1927059a78d99265a556040394f4cbb51ad849f35cc3cc388daea/analysis/1397545742/

Older Version Details:-

Older Version :- 1.0
Release Date :- 11the April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 60a5261f35a969e38816699159b285a1
Detection ratio :- 0/50
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/bd7bc795b9b9656a63652a1fbd8ec360427c7f45a72959ce427bfc733653f11d/analysis/1397214029/

Change Log:-
Version 0.5 5th April, 2014
  • Initial Release.
  • First Working Version.
  • Not published on XDA. Only tested on my phone.

• Fixed some minor icons.
  • First version to be published on XDA and also featured on XDA Portal and XDA TV :D

Version 2.0 15th April, 2014
  • Added option to wipe Dalvik Cache.
  • busybox comes with this zip, no need to have busybox installed.

Instructions:-

0. You need a Android 4.4+ ROM. :D
1. Download and put the zip file in any storage.
2. Go to recovery (use any recovery, I used CWM Touch 6.0.3.6).
3. Flash the zip file and navigate through Aroma Menu.
4. Choose ART or Dalvik and Reboot.
5. Rebooting can take lot of time (depending on number of apps). CyanogenMod 11 users can see "Android is upgrading" screen.

• ENJOY!!!

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT FAQ if you have any questions/doubts or this software is not working.
Few common problems like incompatibility and XPOSED are mentioned there.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):-
  • Phone bootlooping after changing runtime to ART?
=> Change runtime to Dalvik back again. Your phone (may) not be compatible.

• Apps crash with ART as runtime?
=> That is not my fault. ART is in primary stage and many apps do not support ART. Switch back to Dalvik to use such apps.

• Status 0 Error while flashing the zip?
=> Relax. Take update-binary of ROM of your device. Rename it to "update-binary-installer" and use it to replace its counterpart from zip.

• Runtime is not changing to ART?
=> 1) Uninstall Xposed Framework, Reboot. Then try again. Xposed and ART don't work simultaneously.
Or_2) Check if "libart.so" and "libart-compiler.so" are in /system/lib. If they don't exits, ROM is not compatible with ART.
Or_3) Open "/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib" with text editor and find what is runtime.

• You stole XYZ's (XYZ is example person's name) work.
=> I sincerely tell you, I didn't do that. I discovered this on my own after scanning all files in /data.

I tested this on my SGS+ GT-I9001 with CM11. Both functions work. However there might be some minor GUI/icon/picture size errors.
But main functions of this work fine.

Disclaimer:-
Developer of this tool, hnkotnis, has no responsiblity if your phone, memory card or you are bricked, bootlooped or any type of damage.
You are using this tool on your own and you take whole responsibility of any damage caused.
YOU CANNOT MODIFY, COPY OR PUBLISH THIS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Press Thanks if helped.

Attachments

• Switch-D2A_RTByHnkotnisV1.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,191
  • Switch-D2A_RTByHnkotnisV2.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 11,290
Last edited:

x714x

Sep 10, 2012
Phoenix
SO say if the option to switch to ART is not shown in the developer options (d801 LG G2) could this still be used? Or are OEM's able to fully remove ART instead of disabling the option?

Oct 30, 2010
Richland Center, WI
Have you noticed any performance differences since you switched to ART? I've been curious about this new runtime for a little while, and I actually tried to switch it in my Gummy 4.4.2 ROM on my Note II i605. There is an option within the ROM to choose between Davlik and ART, but it apparently doesn't do anything because every time I check it, it's back to Davlik. I'm going to download and test this! Slow day at work... :D

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Up and running. Install was smooth, and everything seems to be working. Nice job!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

devilozzo

Jul 6, 2013
Pisa
Have you noticed any performance differences since you switched to ART? I've been curious about this new runtime for a little while, and I actually tried to switch it in my Gummy 4.4.2 ROM on my Note II i605. There is an option within the ROM to choose between Davlik and ART, but it apparently doesn't do anything because every time I check it, it's back to Davlik. I'm going to download and test this! Slow day at work... :D

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Up and running. Install was smooth, and everything seems to be working. Nice job!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Disable Xposed Framework for resolve this problem.

Best regards.

KillerofJoy

Jul 27, 2013
Louisville

Best regards.
Nice man.. I had this idea floating around in my head for a while, even posted it to google devs.. I was to get them to run at the same time art first then delvik after the initial launch swith after the at
rt has optimized the apps then over to delvik to keep any lagging scripts from slowing load times between app lauches..

Reactions: MarkapediA

reywal

Dec 24, 2008
Good

Works fine on my old GT 5100 (Galaxy Tab 2 10.1) running Android-Andi's latest Unofficial Cyanogenmod 11 ROM backed by Dhollmen Kernel

SO say if the option to switch to ART is not shown in the developer options (d801 LG G2) could this still be used? Or are OEM's able to fully remove ART instead of disabling the option?

This can be used without enabling Developer Options.

But compatibility of ART Depends on your ROM buddy. Please read the FAQ. There are 2 files mentioned.
If OEM removed "libart.so" and "libart-compiler", then ART is fully disabled.

Press Thanks if helped.

Reactions: aftmkt

yosef019

Dec 18, 2012
Haifa
It is problem of calibration of your phone. Press menu at 1st screen ----> Calibrate.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.

yes ok and its still at installing screen how much time take to install art?

whell i think its not for samsung firmwares

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Switch D2A_RT
    Tool by hnkotnis

SmF5zNs.png

Hello Everyone!

I installed CM11 Kitkat on my Samsung Galaxy S Plus. I didn't wanted to activate the Developer's option in settings for next 5 days (Because I don't want my friends mess around). But I wanted to switch over to ART. So I had such idea that I can do this from recovery.
    But I also had idea, due to my previous work with Aroma Installer, that I can create a single zip that can revert back to Dalvik also.

I found that after Factory Restore runtime is set to Dalvik again.
    So I concluded that it is stored in /data
    After messing around with the /data partition, I found where selected runtime is saved.
    I created such a zip and I am sharing with you.

Meanwhile, when I was writing this thread, similar thread suggest showed me another tool of XDA Senior Member husen4u.
    However his tool has 2 different files required to be flashed.
    I did not copy his work, but runtime change code is same for all Android 4.4+, however I still give him credits, because he created similar project first.

So I present you my new tool :- Switch D2A_RT

So general idea is this tool can change ART <------> Dalvik from single zip.

Downloads:-
    TESTED OK
    Current Version :- 2.0
    Release Date :- 15th April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 0f50fa11df8452f75e83a5bff2bee78a
    Detection ratio :- 0/51
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/35552560f6c1927059a78d99265a556040394f4cbb51ad849f35cc3cc388daea/analysis/1397545742/

Older Version Details:-

Older Version :- 1.0
    Release Date :- 11the April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 60a5261f35a969e38816699159b285a1
    Detection ratio :- 0/50
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/bd7bc795b9b9656a63652a1fbd8ec360427c7f45a72959ce427bfc733653f11d/analysis/1397214029/

Change Log:-
    • Initial Release.
    • First Working Version.
    • Not published on XDA. Only tested on my phone.

• Fixed some minor icons.
    • First version to be published on XDA and also featured on XDA Portal and XDA TV :D

Version 2.0 15th April, 2014
    • Added option to wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • busybox comes with this zip, no need to have busybox installed.

Instructions:-

0. You need a Android 4.4+ ROM. :D
    1. Download and put the zip file in any storage.
    2. Go to recovery (use any recovery, I used CWM Touch 6.0.3.6).
    3. Flash the zip file and navigate through Aroma Menu.
    4. Choose ART or Dalvik and Reboot.
    5. Rebooting can take lot of time (depending on number of apps). CyanogenMod 11 users can see "Android is upgrading" screen.

• ENJOY!!!

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT FAQ if you have any questions/doubts or this software is not working.
    Few common problems like incompatibility and XPOSED are mentioned there.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):-
    • Phone bootlooping after changing runtime to ART?
    => Change runtime to Dalvik back again. Your phone (may) not be compatible.

• Apps crash with ART as runtime?
    => That is not my fault. ART is in primary stage and many apps do not support ART. Switch back to Dalvik to use such apps.

• Status 0 Error while flashing the zip?
    => Relax. Take update-binary of ROM of your device. Rename it to "update-binary-installer" and use it to replace its counterpart from zip.

• Runtime is not changing to ART?
    => 1) Uninstall Xposed Framework, Reboot. Then try again. Xposed and ART don't work simultaneously.
    Or_2) Check if "libart.so" and "libart-compiler.so" are in /system/lib. If they don't exits, ROM is not compatible with ART.
    Or_3) Open "/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib" with text editor and find what is runtime.

• You stole XYZ's (XYZ is example person's name) work.
    => I sincerely tell you, I didn't do that. I discovered this on my own after scanning all files in /data.

I tested this on my SGS+ GT-I9001 with CM11. Both functions work. However there might be some minor GUI/icon/picture size errors.
    But main functions of this work fine.

Disclaimer:-
    Developer of this tool, hnkotnis, has no responsiblity if your phone, memory card or you are bricked, bootlooped or any type of damage.
    You are using this tool on your own and you take whole responsibility of any damage caused.
    YOU CANNOT MODIFY, COPY OR PUBLISH THIS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Press Thanks if helped.
    Reserved.

Reserved for something or may be nothing, but reserved for everything.
    Reserved

Same here.

Best regards.
    Nice man.. I had this idea floating around in my head for a while, even posted it to google devs.. I was to get them to run at the same time art first then delvik after the initial launch swith after the at
    rt has optimized the apps then over to delvik to keep any lagging scripts from slowing load times between app lauches..

This can be used without enabling Developer Options.

But compatibility of ART Depends on your ROM buddy. Please read the FAQ. There are 2 files mentioned.
    If OEM removed "libart.so" and "libart-compiler", then ART is fully disabled.

Press Thanks if helped.