Give a Folder under 'Programs' a Icon, like 'Games'

Search This thread

jpiek

Nov 30, 2003
Yes, you can give a folder an icon, IE if you make a subfolder under 'programs' , but file explorers also show them :

create a textfile 'icon.lnk' and enter in it :

1#ceshell.dll,-162

save it and make it hidden....

It looks like the -162 is a code for the icon entry, some files take only '0',
(1#repllog.exe,0) ceshell.dll for example allows -142 -144, -147 and -148

Now on to linking other icons to links (program's, mortscripts !), read someting about it here ;)

vijay555

Retired Moderator
Jun 4, 2005
Witch Space
www.vijay555.com
Because I love you :)

Be careful, sometimes it goes off hunting for half an hour. It's best to count downwards then upwards. You'll get the hang of it! PHM Tools has a very useful dll full of icons.

BTW, don't forget the first numbers before the # are the length of the shortcut string, ie everything after the #. I don't think it ever makes any difference, but it'd make for an interesting buffer overflow exploit I guess.

30#"\Windows\PHMShell32.dll,-173"

http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=222846#222846

Phew
Since we're on the subject, I might as well throw this one in for completeness.
You can use an icon NOT from the executable (ie not the default one) by using this kind of syntax:

65#ctlpnl.exe cplmain.cpl,4?\Storage Card\!Install\ftxPBrowser.exe,0

65=length of shortcut string
ctlpnl bit is an example of how to access control panel features (change the 4. You can access tabs where appropriate thus: 4,1 = 1st tab)
Everything after the ? is used to identify the target icon offset in ANOTHER dll/exe.
Change the 0 to specify an offset.
So in this example you're showing the memory control panel, using ftx's default icon.

Enough already! VJOkButt beckons...

V

Attachments

• icon_viewer.exe
    12.5 KB · Views: 3,846

jpiek

Nov 30, 2003
vijay555 said:
Because I love you :)/

:shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

PHM Tools has a very useful dll full of icons.

Got it yesterday ! ;)

BTW, don't forget the first numbers before the # are the length of the shortcut string, ie everything after the #. I don't think it ever makes any difference, but it'd make for an interesting buffer overflow exploit I guess.

I think it's used for shortcuts that point at "MSCALENDER"IE, not to an executable, to decide what's commandline, and what not...

Phew
Since we're on the subject, I might as well throw this one in for completeness.
You can use an icon NOT from the executable (ie not the default one) by using this kind of syntax:

65#ctlpnl.exe cplmain.cpl,4?\Storage Card\!Install\ftxPBrowser.exe,0

YES ! that's what i was looking for ! I created some mortscripts, and if i put them in a Todaylauncher, they all have te same icon, now i can add individual icons !

jpiek

Nov 30, 2003
Works like a charm...

The PHM tools i d/l didn't have the dll with all the icons...
Seems i've misplaced the old one :(

On to a Icon hunt....

Btw, can you use a .bmp as icon, with offset 0 ?

ZeBoxx

Dec 29, 2005
vijay.. your app's not finding any icons in ceshell.dll on my device - I'd imagine it's supposed to? :>
Tried shell32.exe as well.

It did find the icon for DeviceInformation.exe , though.

Oddly enough, a freeware desktop app has the same thing.. can't find anything in ceshell.dll / shell32.exe, but does find the DeviceInformation.exe icon (resource -103). Weird? :)

vijay555

Retired Moderator
Jun 4, 2005
Witch Space
www.vijay555.com
Hmm, never really tried it. Just tried Microangelo on rom dumps of the same files, and same findings. Will look into it on a real device I suppose... Any particular icons you're after?

V

jpiek

Nov 30, 2003
Wierd, here's my 'Harvest";)

Icons-internal.jpg

Internal Icons

Icons-phmshell32.jpg

From PHM Plus tools

[Edited: Created imges instead of links !]

ZeBoxx

Dec 29, 2005
vijay: naw, I was just checking to see if there would be an appropriate "Task Manager"-ish icon in there for a TaskMan shortcut for another thread :) Figured I'd use your utility to have it have a go at it, but went through -65535 with no luck ;)

jpiek: yeah, I know there's tons of icon packs out there, but then the user would have had to download those first ;)

jpiek

Nov 30, 2003
ZeBoxx said:
vijay: naw, I was just checking to see if there would be an appropriate "Task Manager"-ish icon in there for a TaskMan shortcut for another thread :) Figured I'd use your utility to have it have a go at it, but went through -65535 with no luck ;)

jpiek: yeah, I know there's tons of icon packs out there, but then the user would have had to download those first ;)

No, have a look at the internal ones, their great for 'normal' system icons !!

jamiemckee

Mar 26, 2006
Could someone upload the icon dll from phm tools?? I don't seem to have it... or any other dll etc with some decent icons in (I'm particuly after a bluetooth one, maybe ir, to use with VJVolubilis and PHM tray launch)

dirkuijt

Oct 9, 2006
Other solution:

get the program "start menu manager pro 1.2"

With this util you can select a folder, and click on "change icon"

select a source (for instance a dll) end you get a visual of all icons.
Tap your favorite, and your icon is set...

4 dummies, too easy!

p.s.
trial doesn't allow this... so start googling...