[WIDGET] Minimal Reader Pro v2.6 - Updated 31/03/2012

Search This thread

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
New Thread since v3.0 --> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1638779

attachment.php

*** Features ***

_ 2 Scrollable & Resizable Widgets : One for Android 2.x (compatible launchers only) and One for Android 3.X and above

_ 4 Fixed Widgets : 4x1, 4x2, 4x3 and 4x4

_ Display the latest news titles from your favourite websites/blogs right on your desktop

_ Import your Google Reader Subscriptions / Lables / Reading List or add your own RSS/Atom feeds.

_ Click on a news title to open the full story in a customizable Pop-up window, works in offline mode too !

_ Swipe left or right on a pop-up to read the next or previous news article.

_ While reading an article you can share it, set it as favourite for later or read it in the browser.

_ Customize the widget and the pop-up to match your home screen (color, buttons, tex alignement, background, etc ...).

_ Many settings available : Filter the News by age, Filter already read items, auto scroll, auto refresh ...

_ You can add as many feeds as you want on the same widget or separate them in several widgets with different sizes.

** Tips & Tricks ** All credits to Darius_bd !

--> Add twitter list as RSS :
http://twiterlist2rss.appspot.com

If your a twitter fan (who isn't?), you can add your lists to the widget !
Simply get your twitter list URL (should look like this: http://twitter.com/#!/joenrv/android and paste it into the box on http://twiterlist2rss.appspot.com. Copy the second link (RSS) you get and paste in the widget settings. Done.

--> Add Facebook Notification/Statuses as RSS :

You can also add your Facebook feeds by following to these links:

http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php

Look for the "Via RSS" button on top of the page, copy the generated link and paste it in the widget settings. Done.

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php

The RSS Icon is on the left of the page, get to generated link and change "feeds/friends_notes.php" to "feeds/friends_status.php". Copy that url and paste into the widget settings. Done.

--> 2 Easy ways to copy/paste from dektop PC to phone

1/ Chrome to Phone ! Donwload the app and the chrome extension, get to the website you want on your PC, click the RSS link, then click the Chrome to Phone icon on the right. You can get that URL on your phone through the Chrome to Phone app interface, long press your link, copy and paste that into the widgets settings. Done.

2/ QR Codes ! copy any URL into http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ on your PC, generate a QR Code, flash it with any barcodescanner on your phone, copy and paste the link into the widget settings. Done.

Can't wait to hear what you guys think about it, throw your suggestions on this thread :)

Enjoy !

Attachments

• banner_final.jpg
    banner_final.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 8,543
  • png5.jpg
    png5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,512
  • png4.jpg
    png4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • png8.jpg
    png8.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,361
  • png7.jpg
    png7.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,244
  • png6.jpg
    png6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,176
  • png.jpg
    png.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited:

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
** NEW in v2.5 **

- Complete redesign of the scrollable widgets : clean ICS style.
- Added option to show/hide the beginning of each article on the scrollable widgets.
- Complete redesign of the popup : now full screen with action bar.
- New settings : Headers, backgrounds, text colors.
- Fixed few bugs

* v2.4

- Added YouTube support, you can now launch videos right from the pop-up.
- Added Japanese translation. Big thanks to Moyuru for his work !
- Added new options to hide counter, blog title and date from the scrollable widget.
- Fixed few bugs

* v2.3

- Completely revamped the pop-up, now with a page indicator and incredibly fast navigation!
- Added image thumbnails to all static widgets
- Fixed a nasty Android 2.1 FC
- Rearranged all widget layouts

* v2.2.2

_ Optimisations for image pre-download feature : uses less data, less memory and scrolling is much smoother on the widget

* v2.2

- New Feature : Image pre-download for offline reading with images!
- New Feature : Thumbnails on widget ! (scrollable widgets only for now)

- New option to hide buttons on scrollable widgets
- Brought back the old ICS theme
- Added Danish, Turkish, Russian and Brasilian Portuguese languages (Thanks to all the translators!)
- Bug fixes

** v2.1.9 **

- New Widget optimized for Android 3.x / 4.x (scrollable and resizable)
- Revamped the ICS theme
- Changed the publish date format

*v2.1.2

- New setting : Refresh on WiFi only
- New Display setting : Number of items per page
- Fixed scrollable widget wrong article bug
- Few visual arrangements

*v2.1

- New Widget/Pop-up theme : Ice Cream Sandwich !!
- Revamped the White theme
- Other little visual improvements

Go check it out :)

*v2.0.0
_ ## Scrollable and Resizable Widget ## (WORKS WITH COMPATIBLE LAUNCHERS ONLY)
_ Two new buttons on the scrollable widget : "Mark all as read" and "Show favourites".
_ Unread counter on the scrollable widget.
_ Import Full Reading List (all unread items) from Google Reader in two clicks.
_ Import all feeds items a Google Reader Label (folder)
_ Please use Google Reader labels (folders) to regroup your feeds, importing and refreshing will be MUCH FASTER than importing each feed individually !
_ When you add a feed to a label (folder) in google reader, it will be automaticly synced with the widget, no need to re-import.
_ Pop-up now has slightly bigger images.
_ Fixed many bugs.

*v1.7.4
_ Fixed background and buttons disappearing on some launchers
_ Fixed widget information mixing up between widgets of the same size
_ Fixed FC when opeining Atom feeds urls in the browser
_ Fixed last popup not showing any content

*v1.7.3
_ Added option to not colorize read articles (user request)
_ Fixed the 'Filter by age' setting bug

** NEW in v1.7.2 - VISUAL UPDATE **
_ Added Text Size setting, allows to show more content on the widgets
_ Tweaked all widget layouts
_ Tweaked the pop-up backgrounds
_ Added Portuguese language support
_ Other bug fixes

*v1.7 - MAJOR UPDATE*
_ Added 4x3 widget size.
_ Much FASTER pop-up loading, with image loading in background.
_ Much more robust and efficient refresh.
_ Added spanish language support.
_ Many other optimizations and bugfixes.

*v1.6
_ Added 4x4 widget size with clickable news counter!
_ Added Favourite button on pop-up.
_ Added Share button on pop-up.
_ Even bigger images on pop-up.
_ Added Mark all as read function on 4x4.
_ Added Independent settings for each widget size.
_ Big code cleanup and CPU optimizations.
_ Many other bug fixes and minor changes.

*v1.5.2
_ Added option to invert buttons and arrows, good for left handed people (user request)
_ Re-arranged all the layouts a bit
_ Added scrollbar to the pop-up

*v1.5
_ 4x2 Widget size !
_ Sync and auto scroll optimisations
_ other bug fixes

*v1.4
_ Items are now marked as read after being opened in the pop-up
_ New filter to get only unread news
_ Faster refresh
_ Few other bugfixes

*v1.3
_ Added French translations
_ Better layouts for tablets
_ Widgets behave better when resized
_ Widgets are now syncronized with the pop-ups
_ Added Help screen on first launch

*v1.2
_ Fixed some feeds contents thanks to user feedback (you may have to re-add them to the widget)
_ Bigger images in po-up
_ Fixed some FCs

*v1.0.1
_ Fixed feeds not refreshing if renamed in google reader

Last edited:

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Looks cool :)

I've just purchased and downloaded it, I'll let you know my findings.

Sincerely,
Mac

Thanks mac, always good to have you here :)

There shouldn't be any major bugs, i've tested it quite extensively, but if u find anything tell me and i will fix it asap.

Cheers my friend!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Darius_bd

Aug 27, 2010
Santiago + Gdynia
Amazing app, the pop up just sold me, it was exactly what I was thinking it would be amazing as going in and out of the browser seemed a bit silly. Thanks!

Now I'll be waiting for the native twitter feed :] (again the google app is over the quota)

Question: How the integration with google reader works? I have two gmail accounts, the principal using my normal blog feeds. I thought of using the second account to add the widget feeds (as I dont want them to show up in my blog reader) but when I click in Connect to Google Reader, just the feeds of my principal account shows up. Both accounts have google reader sync on the settings of the phone. Maybe it can't be done yet? if so, can you add this ability?

Thanks again ;]

Reactions: mohitrocks

nuttkrakk

Mar 14, 2008
What weather widget you are using on top of simiclock?

Sent from my HTC Aria using XDA App

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Amazing app, the pop up just sold me, it was exactly what I was thinking it would be amazing as going in and out of the browser seemed a bit silly. Thanks!

Now I'll be waiting for the native twitter feed :] (again the google app is over the quota)

Question: How the integration with google reader works? I have two gmail accounts, the principal using my normal blog feeds. I thought of using the second account to add the widget feeds (as I dont want them to show up in my blog reader) but when I click in Connect to Google Reader, just the feeds of my principal account shows up. Both accounts have google reader sync on the settings of the phone. Maybe it can't be done yet? if so, can you add this ability?

Thanks again ;]

Hey darius! Great to have you around :)

Twitter integration will come soon, but i focused on google reader for the first version.

About the accounts, it's the first thing i need to fix tonight. So far I just get the first google account on your account list, but I'm gonna put an intermediate screen to choose which account you want to use. Update coming very soon.

Thanks for the support darius!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Couldn't wait for tonight :) pushing an update right now to fix multiple google reader accounts.

Darius, can you test it and tell me if everything is ok?

Last edited:
P

Poapfel

Nice app but can you pls put it on Androidpits App Center (Androidpit.com) because i dont havea creditcard and i am not able to buy this nice app in the ofgical market pls

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Mmmm, still that "feed leaking" is happening across different widgets. A refresh fixes it, but would be nice to polish that out.

I know, it's the last annoying problem that I have to figure out, but the problem comes from the android system itself which doesn't seem adapted for several widgets of the same type at the same time (if you have working examples of that kind of widgets please let me know).

Especially on reboot, the systems updates the widgets at the same time and that's what makes the display command right for the first widget but wrong for the rest.

If you have ideas on how I can avoid this issue don't hesitate to share them. I'll keep working on a solution for this.

In the meantime, you can solve the issue with just two clicks so it's not that bad.

Darius_bd

Aug 27, 2010
Santiago + Gdynia
I know, it's the last annoying problem that I have to figure out, but the problem comes from the android system itself which doesn't seem adapted for several widgets of the same type at the same time (if you have working examples of that kind of widgets please let me know).

Especially on reboot, the systems updates the widgets at the same time and that's what makes the display command right for the first widget but wrong for the rest.

If you have ideas on how I can avoid this issue don't hesitate to share them. I'll keep working on a solution for this.

In the meantime, you can solve the issue with just two clicks so it's not that bad.

Ou no, sorry man, I have no idea about how stuff works in Android :/ Still, that aint such a hard pain, just a refresh and done.

But, for such kind of widget, I think Extended Controls would be the primal example, right? Lots of same type of widget, each with its own controls. Yet it aint similar in how Minimal Reader works.

lucky13

Oct 3, 2007
Great app, bought it. Works awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

Pickx

Apr 23, 2010
First saw this on the market after using the free version for a while (but not heavily, as GReader sync is vital)
I saw this and got it. I've been hooked ever since... awesome job

Only thing I dislike is that the timer that checks when the next story should be displayed does not seem to reset when I manually go to the next story, it can ocasionally skip to the next story after 1-2 seconds
Sent from my HTC Vision

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Thread since v3.0 --> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1638779

attachment.php

*** Features ***

_ 2 Scrollable & Resizable Widgets : One for Android 2.x (compatible launchers only) and One for Android 3.X and above

_ 4 Fixed Widgets : 4x1, 4x2, 4x3 and 4x4

_ Display the latest news titles from your favourite websites/blogs right on your desktop

_ Import your Google Reader Subscriptions / Lables / Reading List or add your own RSS/Atom feeds.

_ Click on a news title to open the full story in a customizable Pop-up window, works in offline mode too !

_ Swipe left or right on a pop-up to read the next or previous news article.

_ While reading an article you can share it, set it as favourite for later or read it in the browser.

_ Customize the widget and the pop-up to match your home screen (color, buttons, tex alignement, background, etc ...).

_ Many settings available : Filter the News by age, Filter already read items, auto scroll, auto refresh ...

_ You can add as many feeds as you want on the same widget or separate them in several widgets with different sizes.

** Tips & Tricks ** All credits to Darius_bd !

--> Add twitter list as RSS :
    http://twiterlist2rss.appspot.com

If your a twitter fan (who isn't?), you can add your lists to the widget !
    Simply get your twitter list URL (should look like this: http://twitter.com/#!/joenrv/android and paste it into the box on http://twiterlist2rss.appspot.com. Copy the second link (RSS) you get and paste in the widget settings. Done.

--> Add Facebook Notification/Statuses as RSS :

You can also add your Facebook feeds by following to these links:

http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php

Look for the "Via RSS" button on top of the page, copy the generated link and paste it in the widget settings. Done.

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php

The RSS Icon is on the left of the page, get to generated link and change "feeds/friends_notes.php" to "feeds/friends_status.php". Copy that url and paste into the widget settings. Done.

--> 2 Easy ways to copy/paste from dektop PC to phone

1/ Chrome to Phone ! Donwload the app and the chrome extension, get to the website you want on your PC, click the RSS link, then click the Chrome to Phone icon on the right. You can get that URL on your phone through the Chrome to Phone app interface, long press your link, copy and paste that into the widgets settings. Done.

2/ QR Codes ! copy any URL into http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ on your PC, generate a QR Code, flash it with any barcodescanner on your phone, copy and paste the link into the widget settings. Done.

Can't wait to hear what you guys think about it, throw your suggestions on this thread :)

Enjoy !
    Guys, I've started a new Thread to beta test the latest version of Minimal Reader Pro. You'll be surprised how much has changed :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1638779

You can download the APK and post your feedback there.

Help me beta test this bad boy !
    It seems to me like you have done 99% of a full app. Why not make this into a complete app that also has widgets?

Precisely :)

we've been working hard these past weeks on the biggest update ever for Minimal Reader Pro.

it's pretty advanced, but not quite ready yet.

Here's a little preview for you guys (work in progress)

Going back to work now :p
    New update available guys :

** NEW in v2.6 **

- Added new option to change the font size on the scrollable widgets
    - Added new option to show full article on the 4x2 static widget
    - Added new "Glass" background/theme, created by Jeppe Foldager
    - Fixed the auto refresh problem on scrollable widgets
    - Fixed some other bugs

Enjoy :)
    ** NEW in v2.5 **

- Complete redesign of the scrollable widgets : clean ICS style.
    - Added option to show/hide the beginning of each article on the scrollable widgets.
    - Complete redesign of the popup : now full screen with action bar.
    - New settings : Headers, backgrounds, text colors.
    - Fixed few bugs

* v2.4

- Added YouTube support, you can now launch videos right from the pop-up.
    - Added Japanese translation. Big thanks to Moyuru for his work !
    - Added new options to hide counter, blog title and date from the scrollable widget.
    - Fixed few bugs

* v2.3

- Completely revamped the pop-up, now with a page indicator and incredibly fast navigation!
    - Added image thumbnails to all static widgets
    - Fixed a nasty Android 2.1 FC
    - Rearranged all widget layouts

* v2.2.2

_ Optimisations for image pre-download feature : uses less data, less memory and scrolling is much smoother on the widget

* v2.2

- New Feature : Image pre-download for offline reading with images!
    - New Feature : Thumbnails on widget ! (scrollable widgets only for now)

- New option to hide buttons on scrollable widgets
    - Brought back the old ICS theme
    - Added Danish, Turkish, Russian and Brasilian Portuguese languages (Thanks to all the translators!)
    - Bug fixes

** v2.1.9 **

- New Widget optimized for Android 3.x / 4.x (scrollable and resizable)
    - Revamped the ICS theme
    - Changed the publish date format

*v2.1.2

- New setting : Refresh on WiFi only
    - New Display setting : Number of items per page
    - Fixed scrollable widget wrong article bug
    - Few visual arrangements

*v2.1

- New Widget/Pop-up theme : Ice Cream Sandwich !!
    - Revamped the White theme
    - Other little visual improvements

Go check it out :)

*v2.0.0
    _ ## Scrollable and Resizable Widget ## (WORKS WITH COMPATIBLE LAUNCHERS ONLY)
    _ Two new buttons on the scrollable widget : "Mark all as read" and "Show favourites".
    _ Unread counter on the scrollable widget.
    _ Import Full Reading List (all unread items) from Google Reader in two clicks.
    _ Import all feeds items a Google Reader Label (folder)
    _ Please use Google Reader labels (folders) to regroup your feeds, importing and refreshing will be MUCH FASTER than importing each feed individually !
    _ When you add a feed to a label (folder) in google reader, it will be automaticly synced with the widget, no need to re-import.
    _ Pop-up now has slightly bigger images.
    _ Fixed many bugs.

*v1.7.4
    _ Fixed background and buttons disappearing on some launchers
    _ Fixed widget information mixing up between widgets of the same size
    _ Fixed FC when opeining Atom feeds urls in the browser
    _ Fixed last popup not showing any content

*v1.7.3
    _ Added option to not colorize read articles (user request)
    _ Fixed the 'Filter by age' setting bug

** NEW in v1.7.2 - VISUAL UPDATE **
    _ Added Text Size setting, allows to show more content on the widgets
    _ Tweaked all widget layouts
    _ Tweaked the pop-up backgrounds
    _ Added Portuguese language support
    _ Other bug fixes

*v1.7 - MAJOR UPDATE*
    _ Added 4x3 widget size.
    _ Much FASTER pop-up loading, with image loading in background.
    _ Much more robust and efficient refresh.
    _ Added spanish language support.
    _ Many other optimizations and bugfixes.

*v1.6
    _ Added 4x4 widget size with clickable news counter!
    _ Added Favourite button on pop-up.
    _ Added Share button on pop-up.
    _ Even bigger images on pop-up.
    _ Added Mark all as read function on 4x4.
    _ Added Independent settings for each widget size.
    _ Big code cleanup and CPU optimizations.
    _ Many other bug fixes and minor changes.

*v1.5.2
    _ Added option to invert buttons and arrows, good for left handed people (user request)
    _ Re-arranged all the layouts a bit
    _ Added scrollbar to the pop-up

*v1.5
    _ 4x2 Widget size !
    _ Sync and auto scroll optimisations
    _ other bug fixes

*v1.4
    _ Items are now marked as read after being opened in the pop-up
    _ New filter to get only unread news
    _ Faster refresh
    _ Few other bugfixes

*v1.3
    _ Added French translations
    _ Better layouts for tablets
    _ Widgets behave better when resized
    _ Widgets are now syncronized with the pop-ups
    _ Added Help screen on first launch

*v1.2
    _ Fixed some feeds contents thanks to user feedback (you may have to re-add them to the widget)
    _ Bigger images in po-up
    _ Fixed some FCs

*v1.0.1
    _ Fixed feeds not refreshing if renamed in google reader