Anyone else get the ATT top 5%???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
I have been dealing with AT&T the past two months about the supposed 5% crap. Last month my brother got throttled when he hit 5G, which I think is fair. However, the next month he got a notice after 100mb saying he was in the 5%. The next day he was throttled, this all took place within the first week of the billing cycle. Placed a call to AT&T and nobody could give me a good reason why. One of the reps told me that she has repeatedly gone over 10G a month trying to get the 5% message and has not received anything. She passed me onto "their" data department and he was useless. He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled". This is total crap. My brother tried to use google maps for directions as he was lost and he said it took almost 10 minutes for it to load up and give hime directions. I am truly considering canceling all of my lines, and I have been with them since Cingular. Like everyone else already stated, at that time they pushed the unlimited data plan and I was allowed to use it for tethering before they started to realize people using the phone as modems. Even their customer service rep back at that time said I could as there was not a clause when I signed up back then.

bdaman80

Mar 20, 2011
Pittsfield, Il
Now see I've been told by ATT csr's over the phone that location has nothing to do with it. That it is top 5% of overall nationwide users. Which I knew was BS, but that leads me to ask this question. I live in an area with hsdpa service (partially) and I went to Kansas for work for 2 weeks. It was an an area that had Gprs data service at best. And I'm sure not a lot of data gets used. Would that that include my 1.2 Gb usage in there much lower 5%, and cause me to get capped?

shawn1224

Feb 2, 2010
These bastards just started throttling me 2 months ago. The first month they cut me off at 5 gigs and then last month they cut me off at 2 gigs. I work in the oil field here in Odessa TX and spend most of my time out in the field and they have the audacity to tell me to use more wifi like I don't know that.

Fckn att pisses me off, as soon as I can I'm switching to sprint

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App

Last edited:

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
Now see I've been told by ATT csr's over the phone that location has nothing to do with it. That it is top 5% of overall nationwide users. Which I knew was BS, but that leads me to ask this question. I live in an area with hsdpa service (partially) and I went to Kansas for work for 2 weeks. It was an an area that had Gprs data service at best. And I'm sure not a lot of data gets used. Would that that include my 1.2 Gb usage in there much lower 5%, and cause me to get capped?

So now I've seen multiple users post that CSRs told them a) it is location based and b) it isn't location based. Yet another thing CSRs have obviously not been trained to answer. Way to go AT&T!

AgentSeethroo

Nov 26, 2011
I have been dealing with AT&T the past two months about the supposed 5% crap. Last month my brother got throttled when he hit 5G, which I think is fair. However, the next month he got a notice after 100mb saying he was in the 5%. The next day he was throttled, this all took place within the first week of the billing cycle. Placed a call to AT&T and nobody could give me a good reason why. One of the reps told me that she has repeatedly gone over 10G a month trying to get the 5% message and has not received anything. She passed me onto "their" data department and he was useless. He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled". This is total crap. My brother tried to use google maps for directions as he was lost and he said it took almost 10 minutes for it to load up and give hime directions. I am truly considering canceling all of my lines, and I have been with them since Cingular. Like everyone else already stated, at that time they pushed the unlimited data plan and I was allowed to use it for tethering before they started to realize people using the phone as modems. Even their customer service rep back at that time said I could as there was not a clause when I signed up back then.

Yeah. I've dealt with the same crap. Two months ago I was throttled at 6g, which is reasonable, I suppose.

I just got the message this morning, and I'm currently sitting at 1.6g. This is complete and utter bull****. Looks like I'll be switching to Sprint and getting that badass Evo 3D, termination fees be damned.

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled".

And this also contradicts AT&T's reasoning for throttling data in the first place, "to ensure availability of the network for the majority of users". If no one else in the area is using data, there should be no reason to throttle someone!

In my opinion, the system that AT&T is using to throttle customers is flawed. It's obviously automated, and it obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Our only hope is that AT&T realizes/cares that people are getting throttled when they shouldn't be and makes changes to the way it's being done. Only more complaints will help, and be sure to tell them that you want your complaint documented and escalated.

The system should work more like what I've heard about Verizon's throttling (I think only on their 3G network). Heaviest users should only be throttled at times of heavy network congestion, and restored once the network is freed up. But that's assuming that AT&T is telling the truth about why they're throttling. I've heard it suggested that the throttling is due to AT&T being fined by the government due to going over their spectrum use allowance. True or false, we may never know.

MarkDK2

Feb 22, 2012
Cape Coral
I was throttled on my iPhone 4s a month ago so I added a line and got an inspire 4g to split the load as I use it mostly for work. I never did get a good explanation from ATT as I barely went over 3gb.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
And this also contradicts AT&T's reasoning for throttling data in the first place, "to ensure availability of the network for the majority of users". If no one else in the area is using data, there should be no reason to throttle someone!

In my opinion, the system that AT&T is using to throttle customers is flawed. It's obviously automated, and it obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Our only hope is that AT&T realizes/cares that people are getting throttled when they shouldn't be and makes changes to the way it's being done. Only more complaints will help, and be sure to tell them that you want your complaint documented and escalated.

The system should work more like what I've heard about Verizon's throttling (I think only on their 3G network). Heaviest users should only be throttled at times of heavy network congestion, and restored once the network is freed up. But that's assuming that AT&T is telling the truth about why they're throttling. I've heard it suggested that the throttling is due to AT&T being fined by the government due to going over their spectrum use allowance. True or false, we may never know.

It would be great if you just got throttled at the time of high data usage and then went back to normal. Rather than throttling on the 3rd day of the billing cycle and your phone not really being functional for the remainder of the month.

SCMiamicane

Apr 21, 2009
Columbia, SC
I had a friend get that same e-mail. He is still on unlimited plan if that helps. I don't remember his exact numbers, but he SAID all he did was watch Netflix movies for 3 days straight. This was all the high data traffic he could think of.

gregruva

Feb 20, 2012
Top 5% AT&T DATA

At&t sent me a Text that I was the Top 5% Data user.and they told me that next time they will slow it down.

pazzo02

May 17, 2011
Chicago area
Not that $850 scares or hurts AT&T, but they should take notice. If they had to pay that to all of their 10 of millions of unlimited data customers, that would sting.

minicoop7

Jul 20, 2007
Los Angeles
I just got throttled and it sucks! Customer service said that's why I've been getting messages being in the top 5%. I average about 2.5gb. Started turning wifi on where available.

I hope it becomes a class action since Att's intent is to move me to tiered pricing. I asked the guy why do this when I've had this plan for over 5 yrs. He just responded with a canned statement of me being in the top 5%.

Unbelievable :-(

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

minicoop7

Jul 20, 2007
Los Angeles
4503d409-a3c7-c770.jpg

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
It is also way faster than what my girlfriend gets on Sprint. If anybody is deciding to jump ship from ATT to Sprint check the speeds in your area first.

bdaman80

Mar 20, 2011
Pittsfield, Il
Well, I got shut down today. And evidently one warning wasnt enough. Got a warning at 7:17, 8:06, 8:32, 9:12. When I got done with the service call I was on, boom I had already been throttled.

Worst part is, other than checking texts, I hadn't used phone for 2 hours prior. But I still have 1.2 mbps upload. Anybody need me to send em a file?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using xda premium

jadeus0831

Sep 7, 2010
Hollywood
wow I think att pulled a fast one here. It seems that they doubled their 0.15kbps(150) throttling point to 0.30-0.32kbps(320).
I was tripping out when my gf was watching Netflix about 2 days ago and I told her "pfft don't even bother after a minute the movies keep buffering". Now when were on the road she's watching her Supernatural seasons:eek:
Looks like Netflix and YouTube stream OK at 320kbps weird. Not high quality but it plays and looks good enough.
a6be7ec8-e81d-a9f4.jpg

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys I think this thread has answered a dozen times. We all know that ATT is throttling people for what ever reason. This will continue to happen until they remove all the unlimited packages completely which will happen, its just a matter of time.

Question answered thread closed.
    Not even close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
    you done tool?

Apperantly you dont know change.org has stopped Bank of America from debit card monthly fees and foreclosures. Why not stop At&t from unfair Unlimited Data throttling? If not stop then make awareness. Imagine if all its few million unlimited data subscribers remaining filed small claims suit?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Tool? How do you even know what he was referring to when he made his comment?

I got your 10 char right here

Rocking bacon...ics style
    My suggestion: Get everyone you know on an unlimited plan to tether, and upload movies to Dropbox 24/7 for a few billing cycles.

Oh yeah go head and watch how fast ATT pulls unlimited all together faster then they plan.

This is pointless really, Complaining about this does nothing as in the end it is their network so its their rules. You can switch networks if you want. Now I have tried to explain why they are doing this but seems alot of people just dont understand as they are new to smartphones and the way things work. Unlimited data was never ment for people to stream media all the time or be using 5gb+ aa month, IT was set up for the business users that needed it not those that really dont need that much data on a phone and then abused it.
    These bastards just started throttling me 2 months ago. The first month they cut me off at 5 gigs and then last month they cut me off at 2 gigs. I work in the oil field here in Odessa TX and spend most of my time out in the field and they have the audacity to tell me to use more wifi like I don't know that.

Fckn att pisses me off, as soon as I can I'm switching to sprint

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App