Get Galaxy Gear working with the HTC M8

Search This thread

gypsy214

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, Tx
It doesn't work for Lollipop.. You need to have the latest gear manager but it is not modded and you will have host force close. Although bluetooth connects but as far as settings from gear manager no.... On 4.4.4 I was able to install apps from samsung market too but lollipop is another issue

Reactions: TecniDC

TecniDC

Feb 15, 2015
It doesn't work for Lollipop.. You need to have the latest gear manager but it is not modded and you will have host force close. Although bluetooth connects but as far as settings from gear manager no.... On 4.4.4 I was able to install apps from samsung market too but lollipop is another issue

Does having thought upgraded to lollipop?

bafler

Jan 2, 2011
Guadalajara
Still no luck - Connect htc one m8 to galaxy gear 1

What's taking so long for a modded Gear Manager for Lollipop?

To Answer to this question, which I have asked my self many MANY times, is that people just found out how to set up gear manager in their phones one way or another. Today its said that the gear manager will work with non-samsung phones, being available on the Play Store.

So far I've had bad luck no matter how many times I try.

Here's the long story NOT short:

* Using gear one with null_23+notisync+nova launcher (for the sake of having different watch faces than the crappy ones Samsung provides) is a battery killer, i don't make it half a day.

* Installing gear manager from Play Store - Always get "Download failed, please try again later) just after the app sees the gear and attempts to connect to it. even with Tizen

* Following all the tutorials here or over youtube or the entire net will get me to:
a) "Connecting to gear" screen forever - Not even the actual fix for this symptom works
b) Download failed, please try again later
c) I'm using Venom rom on android 6 so gear manager 1.xxx wont even start

I took a step further and investigated why the hell i always get the "Download failed, please try again later" error screen. Looking at log cat, the app sends a key to a site in a form of a URL that includes the apps that the gear manager needs, the phone encrypted IMEI, and the DEVICE ID, which is "HTC_ONE M8" or simply "htc one m8". So if I copy this string and paste it onto a browser it gives me the below error message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<commonError>
<resultCode>1</resultCode>
<resultMsg>deviceId is invalid</resultMsg>
<exceptionMsg/>
</commonError>

This clearly means that the page wont deliver the package for this device. Now if a change the device ID code on the link to the S5 device id code (SM-G900F) I do get a response with another URL that pasting it onto a browser will download an APK called GearModule.apk

The below is the result I get by changing the device ID
<result>
<appInfo>
<appId>com.samsung.svoiceprovider</appId>
<resultCode>1</resultCode>
<resultMsg>Download URI Available</resultMsg>
<downloadURI

Using this apk which actually installs just fine, the gear manager does get passed on the connection screen and goes to a installing mode. Unfortunately right at the end of the installation it throws an error code, -3 I believe, for which there is no documentation ANYWHERE. - Log cat reveals that the error its because the apps installed by the manager "cant be registered" wich will make sense if the site builds an APK signed with the device IMEI and device ID that will say the device is a Samsung but the build.prop from the phone still says is HTC.

So this clearly states that these parameter needs to be changed in build.prop - At this point i have been totally unable to change this. If I mount /system and change the build prop (tried by buil.prop editor, ES file explorer, even by changing parameters offline and copy/pasting and replacing it with the file manager in TWRP) It always soft-bricks the device and even if I change back to the back up file would not work. I always end up flashing the ROM again. I do know that probably being S-OFF will do the trick (cant spend 25 greens now) also I read that an unsecured kernel would work... but I get a boot loop.

Any thoughts on how to change the damn build.prop? and or get the gear manager working?

I really wish I had the skills to create something like the Open fit manager, I wonder why no one bother for the gear one or 2.

Any ways, I will be pasting this post in a few other treads to see if I could get some insight or help.

Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

After some frustration, I can confirm that this method works for connecting the original Galaxy Gear with the HTC One (M8) no problem since it's running Bluetooth 4.0 LE, obviously with the Samsung apps limitations.

1. Download Gear Manager 1.6.111801 (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk) (if you are on a page with a whole list of apks, don't lose it!)
    2. Change extension from .apk to .zip
    3. Transfer to your phone
    (3.33 Make sure you have a file manager on your phone. I like Astro if you don't have one already)
    (3.67 Make sure you have allowed installing from)
    4. Open com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip
    5. Navigate to assets>preInstallApks and install all the APK (there's something like 16 of them)
    6. Navigate back to the original folder and rename com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip to com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
    7. Install com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
    8. Download Gear Manager 1.7.031004 and put it on the phone (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk)
    9. Run com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk
    10. If your watch is brand new, you're going to have to update it to the newest software: google it.
    11. At this point if your watch is on, your phone should start searching for it, and maybe find it. I rebooted my phone once while it was trying to connect and when I opened up Gear Manager, it requested a sync and boom, synced.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Weather doesn't work as well as s-voice, obviously, nor does the media controller, but the dialer, find my phone, contacts, camera and photo transfer I can confirm are working.

Edit: after a couple of different ideas, I still can't get notifications working on the stock software. If anyone set up a rommed watch, let me know if you have notifications.
    Gear fit works with M8

http://9to5google.com/2014/04/12/how-to-use-samsungs-gear-fit-smartwatch-with-other-android-devices/

We have also learned that an initial update of the Gear Fit may be necessary to get this method working. This Gear Fit must be updated with a compatible Samsung device or the Gear Manager app could have trouble connecting with it during the setup process on an unsupported device.