The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

Search This thread

iceman4357

Jun 17, 2006
St.Louis
I have noticed my battery lasts about 50-75% as long as it did before the update. I used to have this issue, the last OTA update fixed it. Now it is back.

With ICS I usually ran about 800mb ram, with JB iv noticed it going as high as 1.2-1.3gb ram. But as soon as i kill all the apps, i click it again and 30 apps are already running.

Perhaps a wipe/restore is in order... Perhaps root and go back to ICS... Maybe they will release a small OTA to fix bugs like before..

All i ever want was the News & Weather Widget. :crying: I cant believe i waited 5 months for this...

You can thank ATT crapware for that. You can root and remove whatever items you do not use....which I am sure it a lot.

Sir_Brizz

Apr 14, 2009
Provo Area
My battery on normal usage is about 80%-90% of what it was before. I used to easily make it 16 hours and now I can make it about 13 or so. Part of the problem, however, is that LTE lit up in my area and I've noticed that killing my battery more than the JB update as it started before JB was released.

dynamo15

Jul 4, 2011
I have one little observation and i would like to know if somebody is having the same. The notifications as soon as i slice from the top, it seems very LAGGY, anjd slow!!! It seems very bad and I have tried stock, Loserrom and other roms on the JB ATT Update and with all i have the problem!! Just being curious if it is my phone or if anybody is experiencing the problem!!! Thanks

randun

Oct 6, 2009
Hillsborough
www.linkedin.com
I have one little observation and i would like to know if somebody is having the same. The notifications as soon as i slice from the top, it seems very LAGGY, anjd slow!!! It seems very bad and I have tried stock, Loserrom and other roms on the JB ATT Update and with all i have the problem!! Just being curious if it is my phone or if anybody is experiencing the problem!!! Thanks

Glad that you brought this up. I wasn't experiencing this until just 2 days ago! Prior to this, no lag whatsoever. Now, there is a distinct lag, or slow reaction, each time that I drag the notification bar down. Very odd...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 27, 2010
So Cal
Update really worth it !!!

I have been researching here and there about the JB update from AT&T. So far I am very skeptical. I had a Cappy and waited a year for them to update from Eclair to Froyo, and suffered miserably with a sketchy phone till my contract was up. I picked up the SGS3, wow, what a phone. So it has the ICS 4.0.4. I don't want to ruin a good phone this soon, so is it worth the risk, or do the masses think AT&T will work the bugs out? Overall, are you guys satisfied with the up grade. Not quite ready to start flashing yet.

melvinaury

Jan 11, 2009
Hatillo
So, I only have internet on my phone, how am I supposed to update to jb?

Sent from my pebble blue s3

Well you have two options.

1. Mobile Odin (dirty flash)
2. Look for ROM base on JB and flas in recovery. There is a thread of a stock ROM only deodexed and rooted. That's the one that I'm using.

If you're data plan are not unlimited go and find a open wifi and download the ROMS there over 600 mb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

nsmith4

Nov 8, 2011
I have been researching here and there about the JB update from AT&T. So far I am very skeptical. I had a Cappy and waited a year for them to update from Eclair to Froyo, and suffered miserably with a sketchy phone till my contract was up. I picked up the SGS3, wow, what a phone. So it has the ICS 4.0.4. I don't want to ruin a good phone this soon, so is it worth the risk, or do the masses think AT&T will work the bugs out? Overall, are you guys satisfied with the up grade. Not quite ready to start flashing yet.
I just got this phone too. I updated right away and have had no issues reported in this thread, except for maybe the battery issue but it hasn't been to bad for me, still better than my Inspire.
For me I love Jelly Bean, if you update and you have issues you could most likely go to At&t and exchange it for another one which will have ICS since you just got it.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
Glad that you brought this up. I wasn't experiencing this until just 2 days ago! Prior to this, no lag whatsoever. Now, there is a distinct lag, or slow reaction, each time that I drag the notification bar down. Very odd...

Are you guys using apps with overlays, like Screen Overlay or Lux? If I use Lux with negative brightness (it's a great battery saver), I experience notification bar dragging lag. Really, the overlays kill Project Butter. :(

dynamo15

Jul 4, 2011
Are you guys using apps with overlays, like Screen Overlay or Lux? If I use Lux with negative brightness (it's a great battery saver), I experience notification bar dragging lag. Really, the overlays kill Project Butter. :(

No. No in anyway. I try both the Stock version of the update and it happened. Then i rooted the phone and then i found the same problem. I tried several roms based on the ATT upodate and its the same story. I came back to 4.0.4 and no lag found. Its very strange.......

jstoyotaguy6

Oct 10, 2009
Olympia
Well you have two options.

1. Mobile Odin (dirty flash)
2. Look for ROM base on JB and flas in recovery. There is a thread of a stock ROM only deodexed and rooted. That's the one that I'm using.

If you're data plan are not unlimited go and find a open wifi and download the ROMS there over 600 mb.

I've tried rooting this phone a few times, but I can't get it to work for some reason. I'll just try to find a computer I can use, an update thru kies

Sent from my pebble blue s3

heathroi

Aug 6, 2011
Chicago
further kies nonsense

What is up with that program? Ive seen radun's posts and how people where suggesting odin to root and flash JB so i may go down that route however the issue I have something a little different where kies would boot up recognize the s3 tell me theres an upgrade i click to upgrade and kies will begin to download however when it hits 100% the phone will be disconnected and I'll have to force close kies on pc. any ideas on why?

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
Yea one thing about going from stock ics to rooted jb. After i started freezing, uninstalling all att bloatware. Then stopped any other junk from starting at boot. Followed by a custom launcher and now its buttery. The notification bar isnt lagging it's just set to a slower than normal animation speed for one touch. To really experience project butter you have to run native android or have a really good developer on here that works on stock based roms. Anything from the factory with an overlay will never be as fast as a custom rom. Especially if you dont root it so you can take all that junk off.

dawheat

Sep 25, 2012
Timer issues - no alarm when charging

Weird issue in both stock JB and loserROM (debloated ROM):

- when I set a timer to countdown and trigger an alarm, it works fine when the phone is not charging
- however, when it's plugged in, the alarm only sounds for a split second and then stops

I've missed a few things because of this - timer worked fine in ICS. I've deleted and readded the alarms.

Any ideas on possible solves or is it just a bug?

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
Weird issue in both stock JB and loserROM (debloated ROM):

- when I set a timer to countdown and trigger an alarm, it works fine when the phone is not charging
- however, when it's plugged in, the alarm only sounds for a split second and then stops

I've missed a few things because of this - timer worked fine in ICS. I've deleted and readded the alarms.

Any ideas on possible solves or is it just a bug?

I can't recreate the problem.

Just tried 10 1mim timers all plugged in. 5 with screen on 5 with it off.. The timer worked fine every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

dawheat

Sep 25, 2012
I can't recreate the problem.

Just tried 10 1mim timers all plugged in. 5 with screen on 5 with it off.. The timer worked fine every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Thanks for checking. Oddly enough it looks like some conflict with a SetCPU profile I have setup to use 384mhz min and max when the screen is off.

When I disable the profile, the timer plays normally when the screen is off.

oxidase

Dec 13, 2012
more battery issues

Update: so before diving into root with my S3, something i have been very weary of, iv been messing with setting and app to normalize my phone since the JB update.

Last night i let my phone die, which was pretty easy, i just let it sit for about 6 hours and boom 40% gone. Well i fully charged it and left it off all night. This morning i turn her on, after decrypting, it says android is applying 2 updates? Anyways, that finishes, i check facebook, then run play music while i go to the store. I only listened to one song then put it to sleep. In the two hours i left it asleep after that, i return to find it at 83%! "Media" is at the top of the list for battery drainers. Needless to say, i force stopped it and put my phone back to sleep and an hour and a half later, im at 80%. I have found the culprit.

Im not gonna suffer with it like the last time they had a battery issue built in, it takes way too long for them too fix it. I mean for christ's sake, this kind of issue is something they should have ironed out during the two month long delay on the JB release. Im done with their games. Power to the people!

randun

Oct 6, 2009
Hillsborough
www.linkedin.com
Update: so before diving into root with my S3, something i have been very weary of, iv been messing with setting and app to normalize my phone since the JB update.

Last night i let my phone die, which was pretty easy, i just let it sit for about 6 hours and boom 40% gone. Well i fully charged it and left it off all night. This morning i turn her on, after decrypting, it says android is applying 2 updates? Anyways, that finishes, i check facebook, then run play music while i go to the store. I only listened to one song then put it to sleep. In the two hours i left it asleep after that, i return to find it at 83%! "Media" is at the top of the list for battery drainers. Needless to say, i force stopped it and put my phone back to sleep and an hour and a half later, im at 80%. I have found the culprit.

Im not gonna suffer with it like the last time they had a battery issue built in, it takes way too long for them too fix it. I mean for christ's sake, this kind of issue is something they should have ironed out during the two month long delay on the JB release. Im done with their games. Power to the people!

I feel your pain & I'm not being sarcastic! Samsung Support is going to provide feedback tomorrow to me on data I sent them on Friday. Hold on another day & I'll let you know if their feedback was useful or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.1.1 is out and, contrary to what Samsung said, the update is available on Kies and OTA! Yes, OTA is here!

Congrats to Corey_r and longcat14 for winning the pool. No one else even had a chance, haha. :)

To enter and/or view the Release Date Pool, check the 2nd post.

"One thread to rule them all..."

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.

Official release date from Samsung: "Coming Soon!"
    (last checked on 11/30; source)

Official release date from AT&T: "...very near future."
    (last checked on 11/30; source; thanks, Randun)

Anonymous Source: Samsung's AT&T GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials started in May and have been completed; we're just waiting on AT&T. The ROM should be in its final stages of testing soon.

Jelly Bean Version: Most likely 4.1 Before 11/28, chatter from multiple official AT&T sources stated 4.2 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) However, then AT&T quietly released the above Support Article, which stated 4.1.The Support Article is the most concrete evidence we have, so it will probably be Jelly Bean 4.1. :)

Confirmed Jelly Bean TouchWiz features:

Camera
    • New camera/camcorder filters: warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more.
    • Pause and resume recording
    • Low light mode (uses HDR)
    Phone-wide
    • Pop Up Play can be resized and paused
    • Introduction of Easy Mode: large Easy widgets (for first-time smartphone users)
    • Introduction of Blocking Mode: disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms, and LED indicators for a designated period of time
    • Introduction of Swype® Keyboard (bundled)
    • AllShare® Cast Wireless Hub support
    • NFC One Touch Pairing Support: pair a supported Bluetooth device via NFC
    (source)
    Complete noob.. I finally got kies to connect to my phone, but now it keeps asking me upgrade Kies to the latest version and then upgrade firmware. Once I click the Update Kies button right next to it, it immediately says the latest version is installed. After I do this, it doesnt seem anything has changed and it tells me the current firmware version is android 4.0.4. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a different way for me to update since ive never rooted or messed with stock settings? thanks

So i was able to update my rooted stock ICS phone to the JB but i lost root. Im tempted to try rooting again via odin but worried of messing up my phone.

Could flash stock rooted image here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
    Maybe if I shove a actual jellybean in my usb port my phone will update itself.

This seems to be a thread for ranting and wild speculation than what the OP has intended. Maybe we should get back on topic before a mod is needed...

Idk why you guys are hassling ATT about the release date. The only people who would know best would be the programmers at Samsung...Just my two cents

Sent from my Galaxy S III

From OP

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, we're under a contract to pay AT&T for service. They aren't under a contract to provide updates to our phones unless they are essential to maintaining daily function of the device. This is why carriers shouldn't be determining if/when android updates are released. There is no value added to any tweaks that AT&T makes on the devices.