Linksys E4200 poor throughput solved

Search This thread

mbo1951

Jan 15, 2012
Hi All,

I cannot claim that I discovered this solution. It was posted in some Cisco forums. But this worked for me.

My problem was that I could never get consistent throughput with the Linksys E4200 router via WiFi with my Transformer Prime. Throughput would be good for a short period of time and then it would either stop or spit out bits and bytes in small chunks. This behavior was odd, and I had a hard time figuring out what was causing it. Because of the way it occurred, I didn't think it was a hardware problem, the way the GPS situation is.

I had thought a firmware fix from ASUS might resolve the problem. I think there is a problem with the ASUS driver software, but you also can resolve this problem by disabling QoS, specifically WMM, under the Gaming and Applications settings for the E4200. Most people can access these settings by using 192.168.1.1 to connect to their router or by using Cisco Connect and opening Advanced Settings.

Good luck. I hope this will help some of you. This may also work with other routers.

MBO

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ssjgesus

Jan 13, 2008
I cannot wait to get home to try this.
I have been playing around with both my E4200 and the prime for months and resolved that either my walls are made of lead or the prime/e4200 was rubbish.

opentoe

Dec 5, 2011
When you get ANY router always turn off that QOS/WISH type garbage. Anything that specs or touches your signal it will just slow it down.

SilverAthlon7d

Jun 29, 2007
hope this change helps

I recently upgraded from the WRT54G to the Linksys e4200v2 and I have noticed that I have problems reconnecting to the wireless after extended period of tablet sleep. Turning off, then back on wireless on the tablet fixes the problem, but annoying no less. This change was immediately noticeable from the first time I joined the new network, no software/firmware updated at the time.

I looked at the v2 setting and under applications & gaming, QoS, there is a wireless area at the top of the settings page. The WMM support setting is enabled by default. I have set to disabled, I will see I'd there is a noticeable difference.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>you also can resolve this problem by disabling QoS, specifically WMM

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

"Since WMM support is required for products to be certified for 802.11n, WMM comes enabled by default in all Wi-Fi Certified n APs and wireless routers. So even if you don't have any WMM-aware devices on your network, leave WMM enabled or you may find your clients connecting only at 54 Mbps rates."

Not saying it doesn't do what the OP said, but you may want to run before/after throughput tests with your other devices.

ssjgesus

Jan 13, 2008
bah didn't realise that fact that I'm on DDwrt so I probably don't have any Linksys firmware issue. Nonetheless disabling WMM did give me a boost of 2 or 3mbps
unfortunately the prime never syncs at higher than 54mbps

BUYMECAR

Dec 27, 2011
Most routers have QoS enabled by default. A long, LONG time ago, I bouted it out w/ Motorola because the issues I was having with one of their routers was found to be due to QoS.

However, all 15+ times they had me restore it to factory default, QoS was re-enabled, so their troubleshooting was counter-active to an issue they were causing from the get go.

sushi1234

Apr 6, 2009
The original firmware for the e4200 v1 is really rubbish. The signal was bad, speeds were fluctuating, the range was worse than with my 6 years old Belkin.
I tried numerous different settings, it was better but it still sucked...

Then i discovered Toastman's tomato firmware.

The flashing process is the same as with the original firmware (really simple).

I have used this firmware - http://www.4shared.com/file/KOjVG1Ge/tomato-E4200USB-NVRAM60K-12874.html?

But you can use other firmware from this link - http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html

!!!Just make sure that it has e4200 in it's filename.!!!!

Instructions for flashing are in the link below, in the third post

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/linksys-e4200-which-tomato-firmware.34493/

The configuration is easy - first you need to find the channel which works best for you in your enviroment, and i also enabled FRAMEBURST and set preamble to SHORT.

I now have a ultra stable connection, the speeds have tripled, and the range is superb.

Syslink should be ashamed that we need to flash custom firmware for their products to actually work:/

Reactions: Swiftks

Swiftks

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
The original firmware for the e4200 v1 is really rubbish. The signal was bad, speeds were fluctuating, the range was worse than with my 6 years old Belkin.

I have used this firmware - http://www.4shared.com/file/KOjVG1Ge/tomato-E4200USB-NVRAM60K-12874.html?

But you can use other firmware from this link - http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/linksys-e4200-which-tomato-firmware.34493/

The configuration is easy - first you need to find the channel which works best for you in your enviroment, and i also enabled FRAMEBURST and set preamble to SHORT.

I now have a ultra stable connection, the speeds have tripled, and the range is superb.

Syslink should be ashamed that we need to flash custom firmware for their products to actually work:/

Thanks... was wondering if Tomato had been released for the e4200v1 yet... I'll be giving this a try later, as I've always herd good things about Tomato firmware.

Honesty lately, I've serisouly been considering getting the new Asus RT-N66U router. I like the fact that it has external antennas, & reviews have been great. Not to mention you can change its firmware out too, unlike the e4200v2, which uses hardware that does not allow for firmware changes.

Sent from my CM7 Atrix 4G

M

m3t4lw01f

I have an E2000 and an E3000, both running dd-wrt. In my case it's not WMM specifically, but a subset of that called "no acknowledgment". With that enabled none of my Android devices will stay connected.

As posted above, my experience is that I lose my n speeds the moment I disable WMM.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mbo1951

Jan 15, 2012
I have an E2000 and an E3000, both running dd-wrt. In my case it's not WMM specifically, but a subset of that called "no acknowledgment". With that enabled none of my Android devices will stay connected.

As posted above, my experience is that I lose my n speeds the moment I disable WMM.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You do lose N speeds, but the throughput is far superior and enables you to download files more quickly as well as view hi def YouTube videos with vastly improved smoothness. At least that is my experience. YMMV, though.

Sent from my flat, rectangular thingee using Tapatalk HD

spier

Dec 9, 2005
Tomato password ???

Maybe it's a stupid question..
I've flashes the Tomato firmware (1st link) onto my e4200 V1 but can't connect to the routers' settings via 192.168.1.1

Which username / password are to be used ???

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Maybe it's a stupid question..
I've flashes the Tomato firmware (1st link) onto my e4200 V1 but can't connect to the routers' settings via 192.168.1.1

Which username / password are to be used ???

Nevermind: Admin should be admin for username, problem solved

drherron

Jan 5, 2012
Albany

I also have the E2000 but on the stock firmware so I was hoping to clarify your post. If I update the router to dd-wrt and disable no acknowledgment I might improve wireless on my Prime? does disabling this subset also limit throughput?

cvflowe

Oct 20, 2010
San Diego
Hi All,

I cannot claim that I discovered this solution. It was posted in some Cisco forums. But this worked for me.

My problem was that I could never get consistent throughput with the Linksys E4200 router via WiFi with my Transformer Prime. Throughput would be good for a short period of time and then it would either stop or spit out bits and bytes in small chunks. This behavior was odd, and I had a hard time figuring out what was causing it. Because of the way it occurred, I didn't think it was a hardware problem, the way the GPS situation is.

I had thought a firmware fix from ASUS might resolve the problem. I think there is a problem with the ASUS driver software, but you also can resolve this problem by disabling QoS, specifically WMM, under the Gaming and Applications settings for the E4200. Most people can access these settings by using 192.168.1.1 to connect to their router or by using Cisco Connect and opening Advanced Settings.

Good luck. I hope this will help some of you. This may also work with other routers.

MBO

Worked for me, thanks for your post!

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
I also have the E2000 but on the stock firmware so I was hoping to clarify your post. If I update the router to dd-wrt and disable no acknowledgment I might improve wireless on my Prime? does disabling this subset also limit throughput?

+1

I don't have these routers, but I'm interested lol

On a side note, I kind of hate Tomato, just because it hasn't been put onto my routers :mad::confused::eek:

M

m3t4lw01f

Well, with that setting enabled my prime refuses to stay connected to wifi...no ack is disabled by default in dd-wrt, i had onky enabled it to see what (if any) difference it would make.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

K

kalparker

Whats the password or default password. I have tried connecting, but none work. If you having problems with your Prime, its more of a antenna issue and you need to contact Asus to repair it. There should be a thread dealing with this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

MBO

I registered specifically to post this

I made a discovery after reading up on everything under the sun, and it's the difference between liking this router and loving it.

So we're all aware that disabling WMM shuts off the N broadcast. A couple of the people here and on other forums advised against it, and it turns out after hours of research they were absolutely right.

Enable that WMM. Go ahead. Don't be afraid. That's not what's causing the problem.

Now go to administration > management, and disable CTF.

That, my friends, was the difference between 25mbps and 60-plus-mbps, for me.

My network has NEVER run better. I'm so happy.

Give it a shot. I really hope it works for you guys, too.