For those with 'partial' root after JB update - regain root!

Search This thread

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
This will only work if you can access a root prompt (#) in adb shell! THIS WAS DONE AFTER DOING A WIPE FROM THE VOLUME DOWN MENU WHEN BOOTING THE PRIME! I do not know if this will work without the wipe, but it very well may. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here.

It may be possible to restore from a su-backup if you have a su binary still in /system/bin or xbin. Even if you can't access a root prompt (#) by just typing su, read starting at page 6. Places to look for a su-backup include /system/ /system/usr/we-need-root/ and /system/bin/

I have a batch script in the works that will determine if you can re-root and take the appropriate steps to do so if possible.

I had to do a voldown wipe after my update to JB. My prime would reboot after 5-10 seconds into the homescreen after boot. After wiping, I thought for sure my root was screwed until a new exploit was found.

I accessed my device through adb, and realized that I could invoke a root prompt using the su command at the $ prompt. Using ES file explorer, I could see su in /system/bin/ but no su-backup or superuser.apk in /system/app/.

I tried simply installing superuser from the market, but it did not work. The busybox installer would not work, either.

ATTACHED ARE THE EXACT THREE FILES I USED. I do not know if using different version will affect the process!

Here is what worked for me:

1. adb shell
2. su
(# - you should see this now! This will not work without this specific prompt!)
3. type 'exit' press enter, and then 'exit' again. You will now be back at the regular command prompt.
4. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
5. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\su /data/local/tmp
6. adb push C:\(location of attached files)\busybox /data/local/tmp
7. Access the adb shell again, and type su
8. chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/superuser.apk
9. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
10. chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
11. mount -o remount,rw /system
12. dd if=/data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk
13. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/bin/busybox
14. dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox
14a. Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
14b. Chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
15. Reserved
16. busybox rm /system/bin/su
17. busybox cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
18. type su once again to assure you still have access to the # prompt
18a. Chmod 644 /system/app/superuser.apk
18b. mount -o remount,ro /system
19. type exit, and exit again, returning to the regular windows command prompt.
20. type 'adb reboot' (without quotes)
NOTE - you will not need to install the superuser.apk app in the normal sense. It will be installed upon the reboot as a system app automatically!
21. Once your prime has rebooted, go download root checker basic or the like from the play store. Open it, and wait for your superuser prompt! :)
22. Get the busybox installer from the play store as well, and use that to get the newest version of busybox.
23. Get SuperSU from the market. It seems to be the safest method to keep root with JB...

ALSO! Make sure to keep a backup root with voodoo or super su after completing this guide! I have lost root (VERY WELL may have been my own fault... too much poking around) Anyway, better safe than sorry!!!

Thanks to daymz from the debugfs thread in development for the basic instructions of what needed to be done!! And also thanks to all before me who got us root in the first place!

I will answer questions to the best of my ability. I am not a developer and do not try to present myself as so... I can tinker with the best, and after losing root, I set out to see if I could figure it out!

Changes made as per tsmt971

Attachments

• primepartialrootrestore.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,010
Last edited:

tsmt971@yahoo

Oct 2, 2007
I have fellow this method and it was failed at step 16 in my case because of the permission issue but I managed to make it move and regained the root. The details of the issue as below.

Step 16 failed because step 13, 14 which will copy busybox to /system/bin and /system/xbin with a wrong executive permission.
To correct in my case: after step 13, 14 follow those steps below:
- chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
- skip step 15
- continue steps 16, 17, 18
- chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
- continue step 19, 20, 21, 22

Then you will get your root back, it worked in my case. Good luck guys.
To the OP, please verify and update those steps if necessary.

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
I have fellow this method and it was failed at step 16 in my case because of the permission issue but I managed to make it move and regained the root. The details of the issue as below.

Step 16 failed because step 13, 14 which will copy busybox to /system/bin and /system/xbin with a wrong executive permission.
- skip step 15

Thanks! Confirmed...it was late

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
This will only work if you can access a root prompt (#) in adb shell!

Can anyone help me get ADB back. It worked fine before the update but now I can't get it to recognise the device at all - just get the blank list and device not found when I am connected. The drivers look fine like before in Device Manager when I plug in (Asus Android Composite ADB Interface). I have switched USB Debugging on and do not have Asus Sync installed. Everything on the ADB side works with my phone OK.

I used Rootkeeper to restore root after upgrade though it now seems that was only partial. I did a factory reset to clear out a few gremlins. Now Rootkeeper has the Root permission granted box unchecked but the rest checked but I guess since it doesn't have root access anymore it won't do anything. I have tried uninstall and reinstall Superuser but it fails at updating the binary.

Any suggestions to get ADB back much appreciated .

mdpgc

Aug 22, 2010
DC-MDPGC-DMV
This will only work if you can access a root prompt (#) in adb shell! THIS WAS DONE AFTER DOING A WIPE FROM THE VOLUME DOWN MENU WHEN BOOTING THE PRIME! I do not know if this will work without the wipe, but it very well may. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here.

I had to do a voldown wipe after my update to JB. My prime would reboot after 5-10 seconds into the homescreen after boot. After wiping, I thought for sure my root was screwed until a new exploit was found.

I accessed my device through adb, and realized that I could invoke a root prompt using the su command at the $ prompt. Using ES file explorer, I could see su in /system/bin/ but no su-backup or superuser.apk in /system/app/.

I tried simply installing superuser from the market, but it did not work. The busybox installer would not work, either.

ATTACHED ARE THE EXACT THREE FILES I USED. I do not know if using different version will affect the process!

1. adb shell
2. su
3. type 'exit' press enter, and then 'exit' again. You will now be back at the regular command prompt.
14a. Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox and /system/xbin/busybox
15. Reserved
NOTE - you will not need to install the superuser.apk app in the normal sense. It will be installed upon the reboot as a system app automatically!
21. Once your prime has rebooted, go download root checker basic or the like from the play store. Open it, and wait for your superuser prompt! :)
22. Get the busybox installer from the play store as well, and use that to get the newest version of busybox.

Thanks to daymz from the debugfs thread in development for the basic instructions of what needed to be done!! And also thanks to all before me who got us root in the first place!

I will answer questions to the best of my ability. I am not a developer and do not try to present myself as so... I can tinker with the best, and after losing root, I set out to see if I could figure it out!

I accessed my device through adb, and invoked a root prompt using the su command at the $ prompt. Using ES file explorer, I saw su in /system/bin/ but no su-backup or superuser.apk in /system/app/. Followed the steps. After completing the steps, and rebooting, I have Superuser.apk in system/app, however with root checker, root not found!
Install busybox installer says that my device is rooted, but install failed.

No root for me

Edit: I got it. I am now rooted. Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Last edited:

computerdan

Jul 3, 2009
Toronto
RootKeeper says that I have:

- Superuser app installed (yes)
- Device rooted (no)
- Root permission granted (no)
- /system supports root protection (yes)
- Protected su copy available (yes)

However, I can't get true SU and the # prompt. When I enter shell and type 'su' I get:

1|shell@android:/

So, I'm stuck at instruction #11 when I attempt to mount /system as rw.

Any ideas if I'm still eligible to root this baby?

tontorus

Sep 30, 2012
Failed Step

1. adb shell
2. su
14a. Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox and /system/xbin/busybox
15. Reserved

I fail on step 11... (mount: Operation not permitted). Any suggestions?

mdpgc

Aug 22, 2010
DC-MDPGC-DMV
If your prompt isnt turning to the # symbol after SU you don't actually have root =/

Try the steps again. I know I had to do it several times before it was successful for me
I used these steps exactly

1. adb shell
2. su
15. chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
16. chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
17. busybox rm /system/bin/su
18. busybox cp /data/local/tmp/su /system/bin
Type su once again to assure you still have access to the # prompt
19. chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
20. type exit, and exit again, returning to the regular windows command prompt.
21. type 'adb reboot' (without quotes)

22. Once your prime has rebooted, go download root checker basic or the like from the play store. Open it, and wait for your superuser prompt!
23. Get the busybox installer from the play store as well, and use that to get the newest version of busybox.

Last edited:

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
Hx4700, i got stuck doing a wipe after the update, and this worked for me. The wipe does not seem to remove su from /system/bin/ meaning we have a way back in through adb.

Anakin_SW

Sep 17, 2008
But, what if Voodoo didn't work before and you are unable to get su through adb in the first place? Are you suggesting that a wipe will resolve the blocked root access or did you have different circumstances?

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
Are you suggesting that if I do a system wipe on my stock rom JB and run your commands I will eventually get root?

But, what if Voodoo didn't work before and you are unable to get su through adb in the first place? Are you suggesting that a wipe will resolve the blocked root access or did you have different circumstances?

If you cannot access a root prompt, then i do not believe it will work. Using a file explorer like es, does a su file exist in /system/bin? I had to wipe as i was bootlooping, and cant comment on how it pertains to how i was able to get root back!

Anakin_SW

Sep 17, 2008
If you cannot access a root prompt, then i do not believe it will work. Using a file explorer like es, does a su file exist in /system/bin? I had to wipe as i was bootlooping, and cant comment on how it pertains to how i was able to get root back!

Yes, one does. Also su-backup in /system... Any feelings?

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010
Hm, weird you cant get a root prompt through adb. From my experience, if su exists there, adb should be able to invoke a root prompt. Do you have any issue using adb push?

Anakin_SW

Sep 17, 2008
Hm, weird you cant get a root prompt through adb. From my experience, if su exists there, adb should be able to invoke a root prompt. Do you have any issue using adb push?

Nope adb push works fine. But I can't mount /system rw, which is causing me the headache. Really wish I had known the voodoo update switched around things. I feel so foolish haha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It may be possible to restore from a su-backup if you have a su binary still in /system/bin or xbin. Even if you can't access a root prompt (#) by just typing su, read starting at page 6. Places to look for a su-backup include /system/ /system/usr/we-need-root/ and /system/bin/

I have a batch script in the works that will determine if you can re-root and take the appropriate steps to do so if possible.

1. adb shell
    2. su
    14a. Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
    14b. Chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
    15. Reserved
    18b. mount -o remount,ro /system
    23. Get SuperSU from the market. It seems to be the safest method to keep root with JB...

ALSO! Make sure to keep a backup root with voodoo or super su after completing this guide! I have lost root (VERY WELL may have been my own fault... too much poking around) Anyway, better safe than sorry!!!

- skip step 15

I just figured something out. I found a su-backup in /system/usr/we-need-root . I have lost root again since making this guide. My permissions were screwed up on su. I was able to restore root by doing the following:

Code:
    adb shell:
    $ cd /system/usr/we-need-root
    $./su-backup; su  (that is a semicolon immediately after the ./su-backup)
    # mount -o remount,rw /system
    (do what needs to be done)
    #exit

su-backup must have permissions as such: (get permissions by typing this into adb shell: ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root ) If you get an error, than this specifically won't work for you.

Code:
    Required su-backup permissions for manual root restore
    $ ls -l /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup
    -rwsr-sr-x  root  ...

basically, if you can find a su-backup with proper permissions (and cannot restore root with voodoo or supersu), you can manually use that to repair your root access configuration. Maybe this is well known... but to those who don't this could be useful.
    Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying right now there's no way for many of us to get a root access to our devices if the abovementioned method is not working, right?

As far as I know, unless someone is keeping a HUGE secret.

I should mention the unlocker from ASUS but i don't know if anyone has tried it on JellyBean
    Same Boat:
    shell@android:/system/xbin $ ls -l
    ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 497964 2012-09-26 21:25 busybox
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 59760 2012-09-27 11:18 dexdump
    -rwx------ root root 5380 2012-09-27 11:18 ps3bttest
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 23592 2012-09-27 11:18 rfcomm
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 380532 2012-09-26 21:04 su

This is my output when I type SU

shell@android:/system/xbin $ su
    su
    1|shell@android:/system/xbin $