[GUIDE] One Click How to Root EVO with Unrevoked 3.21

Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC EVO 4G.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE EVO

From Unrevoked:
No system downgrading or /data wiping, one-click root, a full NAND unlock and no PRI downgrade.

Nice, right? So here's what you'll need :)

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
  9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

Last edited:

kstagg

May 29, 2010
I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial. The video tutorial will be up within 24 hours :)

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC EVO 4G.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH (Coming within 24 hours)

From Unrevoked:

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On EVO 4G, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device, similar to the picture below.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software. You should then be at the following screen:
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install and your screen will look like below.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes and thats it!

You're now rooted!
I've been having problems whereby when I turn off the EVO and then hold the "power" and "volume-down" buttons it goes directly into HBOOT - not giving me any option to select HBOOT USB. I press the voume-down button, but it doesn't do anything. Of course it winds up not being able to find PCIMAGE.zip and the root FAILS.

Any advice? All my drivers are current (I even tried to install the drivers mentioned and it said all my drivers were already current). I am in "charge mode" only, and I am in USB debugging. I am also on a Windows 7 machine.

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,
Kevin

VOODOOTRIP

Aug 12, 2010
san diego
I've been having problems whereby when I turn off the EVO and then hold the "power" and "volume-down" buttons it goes directly into HBOOT - not giving me any option to select HBOOT USB. I press the voume-down button, but it doesn't do anything. Of course it winds up not being able to find PCIMAGE.zip and the root FAILS.

Any advice? All my drivers are current (I even tried to install the drivers mentioned and it said all my drivers were already current). I am in "charge mode" only, and I am in USB debugging. I am also on a Windows 7 machine.

Sincerely,
Kevin
you need to get the correct bootloader pcmimg file. Take the file drag and drop onto your SD card and then boot into hboot screen. Install and apply updates. Find the correct H-boot zip located in the eng bootloader thread located in here within the first 5 pages.
link here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=752832

correct H-boot is 0.76

Last edited:

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com

Sincerely,
Kevin

Why do you need a PC36IMG.zip ? this doesn't use one.

URAR1004

Sep 14, 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Thanks for posting a Guide this will help a lot of us.

If my My phone is:
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version 2.02.00.06.10
Software number 1.47.651.1

Can I use this Unrevoked 3.21 method, or is it better to use other posted methods like Whitslacks or the thread by fastRX8. Is one method better than the other?

Thanks for your advice!

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Thanks for posting a Guide this will help a lot of us.

If my My phone is:
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version 2.02.00.06.10
Software number 1.47.651.1

Can I use this Unrevoked 3.21 method, or is it better to use other posted methods like Whitslacks or the thread by fastRX8. Is one method better than the other?

Thanks for your advice!

You're safe using this. Easiest method IMO. Good luck :)

EDIT: Since you're on 2.1, go ahead and update to 2.2. You may be fine running this on 2.1, but I'm not certain.

Last edited:

poulosjr

Aug 5, 2008
Chicago
I didn't use this I updated the pcm36.img but it says boot- fail pu
But it will update everything else, I bought the phone from someone he gave me the phone on the older 2.1-update1 it was originally rooted it does say S-OFF so I'm not 100% if that's my issue then towards the end it said partition failed, is my nbest bet to start from scratch from what it seems?? Flash stock evo ruu and root with unrevoked from that

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I didn't use this I updated the pcm36.img but it says boot- fail pu
But it will update everything else, I bought the phone from someone he gave me the phone on the older 2.1-update1 it was originally rooted it does say S-OFF so I'm not 100% if that's my issue then towards the end it said partition failed, is my nbest bet to start from scratch from what it seems?? Flash stock evo ruu and root with unrevoked from that

Yeah check out my evo unroot tutorial. Starting over is probably the best option

tedruggiero

Dec 7, 2009
seriously noob question

I did the original 3.2..can i just do 3.21 right over it??...or are there other steps i need to take..

awesome OP!! thank you!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because the UnrEVOked post doesn't really give any instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE EVO

From Unrevoked:
    No system downgrading or /data wiping, one-click root, a full NAND unlock and no PRI downgrade.

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
    5. Open Device Manager.
    7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    12. Your driver should install.

◄●Instructions●►

7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!
    does any1 know if this works for hardware 003...with the new GB 2.3 ???
    God all the newbies are on here trying to leech everything and anything....I'm seeing threads that I haven't seen in god knows how long in the first page..hahahaha....

If you update manually via Sprint then you will lose root! If and when you update then you're going to have to wait until Unrevoked gets updated because your bootloader is going to be different then Froyo so CHILL OUT and enjoy our day!...:)
    I have same version as you. But my Software version is 3.30.

I tried method in PC(Win 7), installed all drivers and followed instructions, but didn't work. Error saying, "abd server out of date, killing..."

I tried unrevoked, and it says "Internal error: couldn't find misc"... didn't even see the screen of ClockworkMod Recovery.

Any clue?

Unrevoked does not work with your hboot and it has a reputation of corrupting the newer phones. You'll need to run the 3.30 RUU to restore your phone and undo anything it may have done to it. Once you do that try the method in my sig or Zikronix's 2.02 s-off guide
    I used Unrevoked back in like August 2010, so I don't remember exactly the version at that time.

I have been rooted ever since.

I received the update from Sprint whenever it came out (two months ago???). I attempted to install it, but after it did it's thing, I got an error message that the update was not installed. I have not tried again since that time.

It is difficult to follow this thread because it has gotten so big. Am I correct that the current version of Unrevoked will root EVO's that have applied the Sprint update?

And, if so, how do I install the Sprint update? Do I just keep trying until it finally succeeds?

Thanks.

Here are my phone details:

S-off
    HBOOT 0.97.0000
    Radio 2.15.00.09.01
    Baseband 2.15.09.01
    Kernal 2.6.32.15
    Build 3.29.651.5
    PRI 1.77.003

You should not try to install the Over-the-Air update. At the least it will un-root your phone, and I've heard it could even do worse than that...
    This thread has a completely stock 3.70.651.1 update that is already rooted and ready to go.
    Don't worry, with this community it will be resolved very soon