Launching hotspot when paired with car bluetooth

Search This thread

Liamesque66

Sep 18, 2017
Is there a way to automatically launch my android's hotspot when I get into my car using Tasker (my android connects to the car using Bluetooth)?*
It's so my son's tablet can use the hotspot when we're on the move...
Thanks in advance

Reactions: biasilver

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
First, if you haven't already, make sure tethering works at all on your device.

Create a task with a single action "net" -> "wifi tether". Test the task to ensure the hotspot comes on correctly. If not, download Nougat Tasker Tethering Toggle plugin. Use that in the​ task (under plug-ins) to turn on tethering and again test.

Once the task works, create a profile with a context from "state" -> "net" of either "Bluetooth connected" or "Bluetooth near" as you want. In either case, specify at least the BT device name.

Liamesque66

Sep 18, 2017
Create a task with a single action "net" -> "wifi tether".

Once the task works, create a profile with a context from "state" -> "net" of either "Bluetooth connected" or "Bluetooth near" as you want. In either case, specify at least the BT device name.

Thanks ktmom! It worked!

Now, is there a way to turn off the hotspot and turn back on Wi-Fi when I leave the car?
I tried the invert version of the above context, tasking to turn off hotspot and turn on Wi-Fi. The tasks work but the invert context of Bluetooth near or Bluetooth connect doesn't trigger the tasks...

Reactions: Lapiduss

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Add an exit task. Tap the profile name to expand it. There will be a green arrow pointing to the task you created. Long press on top of the task name. A menu will appear and at the top is: "add exit task" (or something similar ? ).

Now add an action to turn off the hotspot. And a second action to turn on Wi-Fi.

Liamesque66

Sep 18, 2017
Add an exit task. Tap the profile name to expand it. There will be a green arrow pointing to the task you created. Long press on top of the task name. A menu will appear and at the top is: "add exit task" (or something similar ).

Now add an action to turn off the hotspot. And a second action to turn on Wi-Fi.

Perfect! Thanks a million ktmom! That works perfectly :)

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
For anyone still trying to get this working, I can confirm it works on a rooted Nexus 5x running Nougat 7.1.2 and on my stock Pixel 2 XL running Oreo 8.1 using the method provided by @ktmom
The way I did it was as follows: (Below instructions used for my Pixel 2 XL) instructions used for the rooted Nexus 5x are similar except in step 3 you DO NEED to install app to system then restart the phone!)
Prereqs: Tasker & Nougat+ Tasker Tethering Control
1. New Profile -> State -> Net -> BT Connected
2. New Task -> Plugin -> Toggle Tethering -> Click Config Pencil -> Enable Tether -> Open setting buttons below -> Toggle Allow modify system settings
3. Go back, don't worry about clicking Install app to system and go back again, and back one more time -> Click the play button at the bottom left to test to see if it works. Prosper! (Don't turn tethering off just yet)
4. Go back to profiles, and long press on the Toggle Tethering Enable tether task and click Add Exit Task
5. New Task -> Plugin -> Toggle Tethering -> Click Config Pencil -> Click Disable Tether radio button -> go back 2 times -> click the play button at the bottom left to test to see if tethering has been turned off.

coolguy

Jun 19, 2007
For anyone still trying to get this working, I can confirm it works on a rooted Nexus 5x running Nougat 7.1.2 and on my stock Pixel 2 XL running Oreo 8.1 using the method provided by @ktmom
The way I did it was as follows: (Below instructions used for my Pixel 2 XL) instructions used for the rooted Nexus 5x are similar except in step 3 you DO NEED to install app to system then restart the phone!)
2. New Task -> Plugin -> Toggle Tethering -> Click Config Pencil -> Enable Tether -> Open setting buttons below -> Toggle Allow modify system settings
3. Go back, don't worry about clicking Install app to system and go back again, and back one more time -> Click the play button at the bottom left to test to see if it works. Prosper! (Don't turn tethering off just yet)
4. Go back to profiles, and long press on the Toggle Tethering Enable tether task and click Add Exit Task
5. New Task -> Plugin -> Toggle Tethering -> Click Config Pencil -> Click Disable Tether radio button -> go back 2 times -> click the play button at the bottom left to test to see if tethering has been turned off.

Not working on Verizon Note 8, not rooted @ Step #3.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

coolguy

Jun 19, 2007
Did you confirm that tethering works at all on your device?

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
Yep I use it manually already.. Trying to automate it now.

How come not able to share internet via BT when the phone is connected to wifi? See screenshot attached. . [Bt pairing](https://i.imgur.com/IU7YkX6.jpg)

I have a spare phone (no internet or service) in car for android auto and not able to tether using Bluetooth from that spare phone to my regular active phone. Only way is wifi hot spot but that will chew up lot of battery right? So hoping when I get in car and my phone connects to car bt, it should then allow my spare phone to connect to my main phone BT to get Internet so android auto music and all works through it. [Bt pairing](https://i.imgur.com/IU7YkX6.jpg)

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
Yep I use it manually already.. Trying to automate it now.

How come not able to share internet via BT when the phone is connected to wifi? See screenshot attached. . [Bt pairing](https://i.imgur.com/IU7YkX6.jpg)

I have a spare phone (no internet or service) in car for android auto and not able to tether using Bluetooth from that spare phone to my regular active phone. Only way is wifi hot spot but that will chew up lot of battery right? So hoping when I get in car and my phone connects to car bt, it should then allow my spare phone to connect to my main phone BT to get Internet so android auto music and all works through it. [Bt pairing](https://i.imgur.com/IU7YkX6.jpg)
Bluetooth internet sharing works fine on my device (not Samsung) with the wifi connected. That is a limitation in your ROM.

I use wifi sharing on all of my son's devices in the car. I don't usually use BT, it disconnects erratically.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
Not working on Verizon Note 8, not rooted @ Step #3.

Just to make sure, you did install Nougat+ Tasker Tethering Control, right?
Also, did you restart the phone for good measure after completing ALL steps even if it wasn't working at the end of it?
Did you try going through the steps a few more times to make sure nothing was missed?

Again, I can only confirm it worked for me on my STOCK Pixel 2 XL on Oreo 8.1, and my ROOTED Nexus 5x on Nougat 7.1.2.
Also tried and have it working on my Essential PH-1 on 7.1.1 rooted and stock. Also on Oreo 8.0 Beta 2 rooted and stock using the exact steps mentioned.

coolguy

Jun 19, 2007
Also, did you restart the phone for good measure after completing ALL steps even if it wasn't working at the end of it?
Did you try going through the steps a few more times to make sure nothing was missed?

Again, I can only confirm it worked for me on my STOCK Pixel 2 XL on Oreo 8.1, and my ROOTED Nexus 5x on Nougat 7.1.2.
Also tried and have it working on my Essential PH-1 on 7.1.1 rooted and stock. Also on Oreo 8.0 Beta 2 rooted and stock using the exact steps mentioned.
It's the step 3, click play is giving error.. Root required error.

See attached error.. Screenshot_20180116-083542.jpg

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
I've attached pictures showing what I did and that it works. Again this is on Pixel 2 XL. Need to make sure you enable "Allow Modify System Settings" See picture 4.
I can't confirm it works for anything other than the 3 phones I mentioned.
However, someone said they got their Note 8 working by posting on the Tasker forums and got answers. An internet search will probably land you where that guy ended up.
If it still doesn't work for you, maybe you have some security software installed, or it just won't work for you for other reasons /shrug

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 2.png
    2.png
    71 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 3.png
    3.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 4.png
    4.png
    50 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 5.png
    5.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 6.png
    6.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 7.png
    7.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 907
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:

kam1kazze

Jul 27, 2010
I have buy a xioami mi A1, this phone have OTA update that hang when you change/write system partition (install wifi hotspot Tasker plugin), I guess is the same for pixel 2 that use the same update system...

So How can I use the Tasker plugin and preserve OTA update?! I guess some magisk module...any suggestions?!

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I have buy a xioami mi A1, this phone have OTA update that hang when you change/write system partition (install wifi hotspot Tasker plugin), I guess is the same for pixel 2 that use the same update system...

So How can I use the Tasker plugin and preserve OTA update?! I guess some magisk module...any suggestions?!

Two thoughts; this Magisk Module, or FlashFire to install your OTA.

Reactions: kam1kazze

Sophos1

Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
www.gogis.net

Can you confirm this is still working? I have a stock Pixel 2 XL and can't seem to get it to work either. I'm a Tasker noob but followed the instructions laid out here.

Thxphotostudio_1520524000269.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

surface13

Apr 19, 2011
SLC
Can you confirm this is still working? I have a stock Pixel 2 XL and can't seem to get it to work either. I'm a Tasker noob but followed the instructions laid out here.

ThxView attachment 4441239

Unfortunately I don't have my P2XL anymore. I can, however, confirm it is working on my Essential PH-1. Although I am rooted, I am not using the root version of this. It is also working on my stock Nexus 5x.
Just want to make sure you enabled "Allow Modify System Settings"

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Maybe check the pictures posted in post #13

Reactions: Sophos1

Sophos1

Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
www.gogis.net
Unfortunately I don't have my P2XL anymore. I can, however, confirm it is working on my Essential PH-1. Although I am rooted, I am not using the root version of this. It is also working on my stock Nexus 5x.
Just want to make sure you enabled "Allow Modify System Settings"

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Maybe check the pictures posted in post #13
So weird. I have it set up exactly like you in the pictures...tried rebooting, reinstalling... nada.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, if you haven't already, make sure tethering works at all on your device.

Create a task with a single action "net" -> "wifi tether". Test the task to ensure the hotspot comes on correctly. If not, download Nougat Tasker Tethering Toggle plugin. Use that in the​ task (under plug-ins) to turn on tethering and again test.

Add an exit task. Tap the profile name to expand it. There will be a green arrow pointing to the task you created. Long press on top of the task name. A menu will appear and at the top is: "add exit task" (or something similar ? ).

Add an exit task. Tap the profile name to expand it. There will be a green arrow pointing to the task you created. Long press on top of the task name. A menu will appear and at the top is: "add exit task" (or something similar ).

Perfect! Thanks a million ktmom! That works perfectly :)
    Is there a way to automatically launch my android's hotspot when I get into my car using Tasker (my android connects to the car using Bluetooth)?*
    It's so my son's tablet can use the hotspot when we're on the move...
    Thanks in advance