[APP] Minimal Reader 3.3 - 02/10/2012

Search This thread

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Finally out of Beta and available on the Play Store !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.minimalreader

Hey folks!

I've been hard at work these past weeks to take my Minimal Reader Widgets to the next level. I finally reached a milestone of stability, performance and usability, and I just couldn't help but sharing it with you guys.

I'm proud to introduce Minimal Reader 3.0 - Bringing a full Google Reader experience on your Android device with a brand new APP in addition to the widgets!

The App follows the latest ICS Guidelines and is available from Android 2.2 and above. It's clean, fast and simple to use.

There's a new color system that let's you associate a color to a particular feed, so you can easily spot it when scrolling through lists of news.

App and widgets are completely synchronized, so you can both quick read through your daily feeds on a widget and explore more content in the app when you have time.

The app should be pretty straightforward to use, give it a spin, and if you encounter any issues/bugs, please report them in a detailed comment on this thread.

I'm really looking forward to your feedback, and to make it easy for me, please give me your opinion by simply answering these three questions :

1/ what do you like about the app
2/ what do you miss (compared to other news app maybe)
3/ how would you improve it

Here are some screenshots :

device-2012-05-06-113229.png

device-2012-05-06-113849.png

device-2012-05-06-114636.png

device-2012-05-06-115813.png

device-2012-05-06-114507.png

device-2012-05-06-115724.png

Last edited:

nanny07

Feb 22, 2012
Arezzo
Screenshot_2012-05-06-14-30-38.png

First impression: really fast, but I don't have tried the older version (2.6)

What I liked: velocity
What I missed: possiblity to change the mobilizer. Readability Mobilizer is better than the Instapaper One (imho)

Suggestions:
1) after the tap on "mark all as read", the app should refresh the ui to not show again the feed marked as read. If I'm in the "browse" view, under a certain folder, it should prompt me to the upper folder
2) the name of the tabs are too big/long: as you can see from the picture above, the words "reading list (0)" and "favourites (0)" are too close.

Reactions: Joenrv

backhead92

Oct 25, 2010
I like the look, and feeling a lot. Just like 2.6, but great to have a app with it now :)

Things I miss: Synchronization interval

Suggestions:
Change the order of my labels, now you would have to add labels 1 by 1 to get the order you want. Would be nice if it could just be added all at once, and be reordered afterwards
Maybe an option to rename the labels in the app (only for the app, so leave the label name as it is in google reader), with the same reason as above poster
Maybe I missed it, but just saw there is no option for adding an individual rss feed. Not a problem for me, but maybe other people still like to add them all manually :p

Last edited:

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
This is great stuff guys, exactly the stuff I need to hear to prioritize features.

Keep it coming!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: nimaol

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
Look forward to testing this, thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

backhead92

Oct 25, 2010
Another suggestion/missing feature:
Refresh on app startup

Suggestion:
Option to hide read labels (unless all are read/show all is selected) So you wont have to scroll through empty labels to get to the ones you havent read yet

LuckyStriker33

Mar 4, 2012
Is it possible to add an export favourite news option? Just a simple html list with the title and link of the news, something like that.

Best news reader ever

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
I'm actually live coding your suggestions right now :D

Here's my TODO list atm :

From XDA :
----------------
ADD : Reorder colums in manage screen
ADD : hide columns when no more news (option ?)
ADD : Auto refresh in background option
ADD : Refresh on startup option

FROM ME :
----------------
ADD : sync starred from greader as favorites
ADD : white theme
ADD : tutorial with recommended labels
ADD : Tablet UI

This is great. Thanks guys !

kvigneshkrish

Apr 6, 2012
Madurai
I used the application for quite sometime.

Device: Motorola Defy (Rooted + Custom ROM)
ROM: White Rabbit v1.5 - Gingerbread 2.3.7

Pros:
  • Works Fast even on Edge
  • Really good looking widget with nice features
  • Design is good to look at. But I feel the 'carbon' theme is kinda distracting. But its just my feeling.

Changes I Would Love:
  • The tab texts are quite long. Better if they were smaller and space between was larger. (Already given)
  • The title text of content is a tad big. A smaller text would be better and feel flush with the total design. Previously given menu choice of 'Small' text makes it too small = Ability to choose a proper text size using a slider with numbers (Higher flexibility?)
  • The space between the contents in the widget could be slightly more.

FORCE CLOSE

• The main app FCs every time I press the hard 'menu' button or the 'more' icon on the top-right corner. You should check that for sure.
  • It again FCs every time I press a feed in the 'Browse' tab under the reading list. FCs every single time.

Will the beta testers be given free licenses? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Joenrv

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
I used the application for quite sometime.

Device: Motorola Defy (Rooted + Custom ROM)
ROM: White Rabbit v1.5 - Gingerbread 2.3.7

Pros:
  • Works Fast even on Edge
  • Really good looking widget with nice features
  • Design is good to look at. But I feel the 'carbon' theme is kinda distracting. But its just my feeling.

Changes I Would Love:
  • The tab texts are quite long. Better if they were smaller and space between was larger. (Already given)
  • The title text of content is a tad big. A smaller text would be better and feel flush with the total design. Previously given menu choice of 'Small' text makes it too small = Ability to choose a proper text size using a slider with numbers (Higher flexibility?)
  • The space between the contents in the widget could be slightly more.

FORCE CLOSE

• The main app FCs every time I press the hard 'menu' button or the 'more' icon on the top-right corner. You should check that for sure.
  • It again FCs every time I press a feed in the 'Browse' tab under the reading list. FCs every single time.

Great feedback, thanks.

About the FCs, could you download Sendlog from the play store (free) and send me a log after reproducing both crashes ?

It works fine on my CM7 galaxy S (2.3.7).

Enhanced

Sep 18, 2010
Just installed the beta and I love it for most part. There are a couple things I don't like though and all of them are cosmetic (not too much of a biggie but I like my homescreens looking good):

1. For the widget, I dislike the new size of the "header". The 3 buttons and the counter (also the new MR button) are quite bigger than on 2.6. Much liked the previous size better.

2. Still concerning the widget, the new button that launches the full reader is a bit unsightly. Even though the icon represents MR, maybe a more subtle icon can be used instead that is more inline with the 3 other header icons (simple, single colored icon). If not, then maybe let us specifically hide only this icon (also allow the counter to be moved to the left most if the icon is hidden).

3. Hope you are still working on making the widget look more sightly when there are no items. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24773750#post24773750

Other than these, I'm pretty content.

Thanks for your hardwork!

xananoide

Oct 14, 2011
Minimal Reader Pro 3.0

Hi Joenrv!!

I heard the latest news by this forum, when I came to see if my eternal "refresh" problem can be solved!
I was very surprised, that a new big update even in beta, but, I was disappointed to know this version only works in 2.2+ android version! Mine is 2.1 and still be for some time!
So please, can you tell me if for my version, no more updates will be released?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Joenrv

Oct 23, 2010
Paris
Hi Joenrv!!

I heard the latest news by this forum, when I came to see if my eternal "refresh" problem can be solved!
I was very surprised, that a new big update even in beta, but, I was disappointed to know this version only works in 2.2+ android version! Mine is 2.1 and still be for some time!
So please, can you tell me if for my version, no more updates will be released?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Hi Alex, unfortunatly I have no plans on supporting Android 2.1 ... I'm using libraries that work on Android 2.2 and above only ...

But If you're here on this forum, you must know ways to flash a higher version on your phone... I mean what phone today has no custom ROM > 2.2 here on XDA?

Very nice app and widget. I like the clean and simple interface. I was going to suggest white theme (not only for pop-ups), but I see it's already on todo list.

Small remark - can you remove or add option to remove the horizontal padding of the widget - it doesn't expand fully horizontally and visually differs in width compared to other widgets I have (vertically there is no such padding/margin).

Last edited:

tititake

Dec 10, 2011
Shanghai
Could Minimal Reader use https to connect to google reader? For some reason, I have to use proxy and it only supports https.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally out of Beta and available on the Play Store !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.minimalreader

Hey folks!

I've been hard at work these past weeks to take my Minimal Reader Widgets to the next level. I finally reached a milestone of stability, performance and usability, and I just couldn't help but sharing it with you guys.

I'm proud to introduce Minimal Reader 3.0 - Bringing a full Google Reader experience on your Android device with a brand new APP in addition to the widgets!

The App follows the latest ICS Guidelines and is available from Android 2.2 and above. It's clean, fast and simple to use.

There's a new color system that let's you associate a color to a particular feed, so you can easily spot it when scrolling through lists of news.

App and widgets are completely synchronized, so you can both quick read through your daily feeds on a widget and explore more content in the app when you have time.

The app should be pretty straightforward to use, give it a spin, and if you encounter any issues/bugs, please report them in a detailed comment on this thread.

I'm really looking forward to your feedback, and to make it easy for me, please give me your opinion by simply answering these three questions :

1/ what do you like about the app
    2/ what do you miss (compared to other news app maybe)
    3/ how would you improve it

Here are some screenshots :

device-2012-05-06-113229.png

device-2012-05-06-113849.png

device-2012-05-06-114636.png

device-2012-05-06-115813.png

device-2012-05-06-114507.png

device-2012-05-06-115724.png
    Guys, I apologize for the long silence, my focus has been entirely on Falcon these past 6 months.

I'm aware of the Google Reader shutdown, and I ****ing hate it.

Before the announcement, I was planning a massive redesign and refactor of Minimal Reader Pro, with an innovative UI, and focus even more on the offline capabilities.

After the announcement, I started to look for alternatives, but quickly abandonned as I couldn't find anything worthy, and I had a lot to do on Falcon.

Now that the Falcon development is slowing down, I have 2 alternatives :

1/ Beg feedly for an API access
    2/ Allow adding of custom RSS urls
    3/ Ditch RSS completely, move on to a mobilizer, like I do on Falcon

Solution n.1 is viable, but I don't really like that I build again something on top of some else's platform and be dependent of them.

With solution n.2 and 3, there's a big problem. Every single news source will have to be requested separately, drastically increasing data/battery consumption of refreshing which would become quite slow...

In the end, I think I'll retire Minimal Reader Pro in July, to come back with a new app, using my own solution (prob n.3), and if people like it, I'll rent a server to have my own API of cross device syncing, feeds aggregation, etc...

For the timeframe, I honestly have no idea when I'll get time for this. I'm starting a new job mid July which will probably require my full attention at least for a few months.

I'll announce everything on Twitter (@joenrv) when I have something to show.

Cheers

If you decided to retire the Reader, i will suggest to share the source code so others could take it and keep developing this great (but minimal :good:) app...

It is only a suggestion, it is your app and you decidde what to do with it, of course. :)

Thank you!
    Guys, I apologize for the long silence, my focus has been entirely on Falcon these past 6 months.

I'm aware of the Google Reader shutdown, and I ****ing hate it.

Before the announcement, I was planning a massive redesign and refactor of Minimal Reader Pro, with an innovative UI, and focus even more on the offline capabilities.

After the announcement, I started to look for alternatives, but quickly abandonned as I couldn't find anything worthy, and I had a lot to do on Falcon.

Now that the Falcon development is slowing down, I have 2 alternatives :

1/ Beg feedly for an API access
    2/ Allow adding of custom RSS urls
    3/ Ditch RSS completely, move on to a mobilizer, like I do on Falcon

Solution n.1 is viable, but I don't really like that I build again something on top of some else's platform and be dependent of them.

With solution n.2 and 3, there's a big problem. Every single news source will have to be requested separately, drastically increasing data/battery consumption of refreshing which would become quite slow...

In the end, I think I'll retire Minimal Reader Pro in July, to come back with a new app, using my own solution (prob n.3), and if people like it, I'll rent a server to have my own API of cross device syncing, feeds aggregation, etc...

For the timeframe, I honestly have no idea when I'll get time for this. I'm starting a new job mid July which will probably require my full attention at least for a few months.

I'll announce everything on Twitter (@joenrv) when I have something to show.

Cheers
    Ok guys I think I found what the issue is with auto refresh, it looks like it's fixed now.

Btw, Since I got JellyBean on my Gnex, I've been working hard on my own "project butter", and I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with myself.

v3.0.2 will bring massive stability and speed improvements, as well as many bugfixes.

The app/widget feel rock solid now, it took a lot of work to reshape the system under the hood but it's for the good.

The update should be out by the end of the week.

Cheers !
    Sorry about the lack of updates guys, I've been away the last two weekends and my new job is leaving me very little free time during the week... its also getting harder to stay home coding with the sunny days, just feel like a cold beer on a terrasse lol

Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend and the next one to finish the app and take it out of beta, even though some important things are missing like the static widgets and other features that I had in mind...

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium