[APP][1.6.1][Mar 24th] DCIM Helper: make your device DCIM compliant!

Search This thread

hrk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 4, 2008
Rome
IMPORTANT: after an update, be sure to turn on the app, as Play Store turs it off!

Do you hate when iPhoto won't show the pictures you shot with your Android device, but it works fine with your friend's HTC Sense device? Why is that?!?

That's simply because Google's camera does not comply with the DCIM standard, used by every other Digital Camera in the world (HTC Sense does it!) and properly recognized by iPhoto.

With this app, your Android device will be able to comply and iPhoto will display and import your pictures.

FEATURES:
- Hassle free "Configure once and forget forever!"
- Works with any picture taking app, not just the stock Android Camera!
- "Automagic" background moving of newly taken shots into the proper folder. No need to open the app each time you connect to iPhoto.
- Fully DCIM compliant and fully Android MediaServer compliant (pictures will not vanish from the Gallery).
- If you don't feel like moving, you can select to copy the pictures (but don't forget to check your free space!)
- ON/OFF switch to quickly enable or disable the app.
- Supported picture format: JPG, JPEG, PNG.
- Supported movie format: 3GP, M4A, M4V, MOV.
- Supports Windows, Linux and Mac OS X hosts (don't worry about Thumbds.db, ._IMG0001.jpg files and so on!)

ADVANCED FEATURES (which require a once-in-a-lifetime donation):
- Multiple folder monitoring: if you use Third Party apps (Camera MS, ICS Camera, ...) you can move/copy their pictures as well! Just add their folder to the monitored list.

For more information about the DCIM standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

DOWNLOADS
The app is available for free on Google Play Store.

CHANGELOG
2013-03-24 - 1.6.1
- New translation: German.

2013-01-12 - 1.6
- Online help & FAQ available at http://sineo.it/android/dcim/help.html (or "Menu" -> "Help" in the main screen).
- IMPORTANT: Android 4.1+ "JellyBean" CAMERA HACK/FIX. Please read online FAQ if you are using Android 4.1 and above.
- Fixed service restarting by itself even after being turned off.
- Some UI changes (context menu)
- Fixed some minor bugs.
- New translation: Dutch.

2012-12-01 - 1.5
- Android 4.2 support.
- Hopefully fixed the issue of app not running (not moving pictures) after a while.
- Fix: black gallery pictures on devices with wrong case (upper/lower) in filenames
- Fix: home navigation in preferences screen.

2012-11-01 - 1.4
- Fix: preserve last modified date of copied files.
- Fix: no more "Application Not Responding" popup when using "Move/Copy all files to DCIM" from the context menu.

2012-09-28 - 1.3
- Fixed blank Gallery on Samsung/TouchWiz devices such as Galaxy S3. Thanks to Brunella for the help!
- UI fix: "Add directory" was enabled even when DCIM directory had not been selected.
- New "Keep alive" option (default: false) to (try to) keep the service running when Android is low on memory.
- New translations: Catalan, German.

2012-09-08 - 1.2
- In-app purchases are now available from Google Play Store!
- Automatically disable interface buttons if the external storage is not mounted (this fixes FC people had while trying to move items when the SD card was disconnected from the device and connected to iPhoto).
- Fixed preview for 2x1 widget.
- New translations: Spanish, Indonesian, Italian, Malay, Polish.

2012-08-28 - 1.1
- Added support for MP4 movies.
- Added Homescreen Widget to quickly toggle the app ON/OFF (1x1, 2x1) and display the current number of pictures and movies processed by the app (2x1 only).

2012-08-25 - 1.0
- First public release.
- Support for themes (dark, light, light & dark).
- Automatic discovery of right folders on first launch.
- Option to monitor multiple folders (Donation required).

PLANNED FEATURES
- Translations: if you want to contribute, you can submit your own translation to http://www.getlocalization.com/DCIMHelper/. If I feel like it, I may give you a special package enabling extra features as a thank you... but the translation has to be good! ;)
- A homescreen widget to turn on/off the service (without having to open the app) :victory:
- Optionally rename 3GP, MOV, M4V, etc files to MP4.
- Improve auto-discovery on devices using "_externalSD" hack.
- "Share to..." service to be used in Gallery and such apps. After a review, it looks like it's impossible due to Android internals. :(

Attachments

• sshot_01.jpg
    sshot_01.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,959
  • sshot_02.jpg
    sshot_02.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,891
  • sshot_03.jpg
    sshot_03.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,861
  • sshot_04.jpg
    sshot_04.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,812
  • sshot_08.png
    sshot_08.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,798
  • sshot_09.png
    sshot_09.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • sshot_10.png
    sshot_10.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • sshot_11.png
    sshot_11.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,706
Last edited:

rajitsingh

Jul 19, 2010
New Delhi
Cool! Will install as soon as it's up.

Also, is there any way to transform photos that are already taken (on HTC One X but using CM10) so that they conform to the standards?

hrk

Sep 4, 2008
Rome
Cool! Will install as soon as it's up.

It's up! :highfive:

Also, is there any way to transform photos that are already taken (on HTC One X but using CM10) so that they conform to the standards?

Sure: long press on the directory and if the directory isn't empty, you'll see "Move all pictures to DCIM" and "Copy all pictures to DCIM".

If you have a lot of pictures it will take some time (and you may get the "App is not responding" message), just give it some time and it will complete its job. In future releases I'll make it so you won't get the "App is not responding" message but I felt it was useless to delay the app further for such a silly "feature".

If you like the app, rate it please. :)

If you need help, post here.

Taraen

Sep 30, 2011
I definitely will try this. On monday I can start working on a german translation.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using xda app-developers app

winfirewire

Feb 27, 2008
Can you add support for video extension .mp4. That is what my camera record in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

hrk

Sep 4, 2008
Rome
Can you add support for video extension .mp4. That is what my camera record in.

Yes, MP4 support will be added in 1.1, coming tonight (GMT+2). :)

New features:
- Support for MP4 files
- Homescreen widget to quickly turn service ON/OFF and quickly know if it's been turned off by Play Store after an update :)

hrk

Sep 4, 2008
Rome
2012-08-28 - 1.1
- Added Homescreen Widget to quickly toggle the app ON/OFF (1x1, 2x1) and display the current number of pictures and movies processed by the app (2x1 only).

I hope you'll like the widgets, the icon should be self explanatory. The number (only available in the 2x1 widget, so people can have a toggle-only-widget) is the count of pictures and movies that the app moved. So you can keep an eye on it increasing when you shoot a picture! ;)

I tried them on a HDPI (HTC Desire Z) and a LDPI (Samsung Galaxy Mini) devices. They should look fine on other screen sizes as well, both portrait and landscape. :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: GeekyScott

ic92

Oct 21, 2011
Jakarta
hi hrk,

just wanna ask..
sorry for being noob :silly:..

what is the benefit actually by using it on Galaxy mini??
and what is iPhoto??

G

GuestK00332

If you deal with a lot of photos, then this app helps if your phone doesn't sort the photos according to the DCIM standard. I don't own any Samsung devices, so no idea how they arrange the folders, directories, name, etc.
iPhoto is a photo editing software for Mac and iOS.

Btw, I've helped translated the program to Malay. Had a lot of fun too. Thankies~

Last edited:

ic92

Oct 21, 2011
Jakarta
If you deal with a lot of photos, then this app helps if your phone doesn't sort the photos according to the DCIM standard. I don't own any Samsung devices, so no idea how they arrange the folders, directories, name, etc.
iPhoto is a photo editing software for Mac and iOS.

Btw, I've helped translated the program to Malay. Had a lot of fun too. Thankies~

ouuhh,, i see..
thanks dude..

I also done on Indonesian. :D

ic92

Oct 21, 2011
Jakarta
Btw, how to use it??
I already turn it on, and press back app closed. but whenever i open again the apps, the status is off.
I m running it on galaxy mini using theWhisp cm10 and michie sdext script

Sent from my amazing GT-S5570

hrk

Sep 4, 2008
Rome
Put the widget in your homescreen and check its status (grey = off, white + light = on).

I am using it on your same device and rom.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

ic92

Oct 21, 2011
Jakarta
Ok, finally work after restart my device.
Weird, but i dont see the widget on the list previously. :confused:

Is the a2sd script is the cause?

Sent from my amazing GT-S5570

hrk

Sep 4, 2008
Rome
since I installed this app my Instagram doesnt work anymore, any suggestions?

I haven't used instagram, so I wouln't know. If you help me understand what is not working, I can try and fix it. Did you put instagram folder in the watched directories? What happens when you take a picture with instagram?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT: after an update, be sure to turn on the app, as Play Store turs it off!

Do you hate when iPhoto won't show the pictures you shot with your Android device, but it works fine with your friend's HTC Sense device? Why is that?!?

That's simply because Google's camera does not comply with the DCIM standard, used by every other Digital Camera in the world (HTC Sense does it!) and properly recognized by iPhoto.

With this app, your Android device will be able to comply and iPhoto will display and import your pictures.

FEATURES:
    - Hassle free "Configure once and forget forever!"
    - Works with any picture taking app, not just the stock Android Camera!
    - "Automagic" background moving of newly taken shots into the proper folder. No need to open the app each time you connect to iPhoto.
    - Fully DCIM compliant and fully Android MediaServer compliant (pictures will not vanish from the Gallery).
    - If you don't feel like moving, you can select to copy the pictures (but don't forget to check your free space!)
    - ON/OFF switch to quickly enable or disable the app.
    - Supported picture format: JPG, JPEG, PNG.
    - Supported movie format: 3GP, M4A, M4V, MOV.
    - Supports Windows, Linux and Mac OS X hosts (don't worry about Thumbds.db, ._IMG0001.jpg files and so on!)

ADVANCED FEATURES (which require a once-in-a-lifetime donation):
    - Multiple folder monitoring: if you use Third Party apps (Camera MS, ICS Camera, ...) you can move/copy their pictures as well! Just add their folder to the monitored list.

For more information about the DCIM standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

DOWNLOADS
    The app is available for free on Google Play Store.

CHANGELOG
    2013-03-24 - 1.6.1
    - New translation: German.

2013-01-12 - 1.6
    - Online help & FAQ available at http://sineo.it/android/dcim/help.html (or "Menu" -> "Help" in the main screen).
    - IMPORTANT: Android 4.1+ "JellyBean" CAMERA HACK/FIX. Please read online FAQ if you are using Android 4.1 and above.
    - Fixed service restarting by itself even after being turned off.
    - Some UI changes (context menu)
    - Fixed some minor bugs.
    - New translation: Dutch.

2012-12-01 - 1.5
    - Android 4.2 support.
    - Hopefully fixed the issue of app not running (not moving pictures) after a while.
    - Fix: black gallery pictures on devices with wrong case (upper/lower) in filenames
    - Fix: home navigation in preferences screen.

2012-11-01 - 1.4
    - Fix: preserve last modified date of copied files.
    - Fix: no more "Application Not Responding" popup when using "Move/Copy all files to DCIM" from the context menu.

2012-09-28 - 1.3
    - Fixed blank Gallery on Samsung/TouchWiz devices such as Galaxy S3. Thanks to Brunella for the help!
    - UI fix: "Add directory" was enabled even when DCIM directory had not been selected.
    - New "Keep alive" option (default: false) to (try to) keep the service running when Android is low on memory.
    - New translations: Catalan, German.

2012-09-08 - 1.2
    - In-app purchases are now available from Google Play Store!
    - Automatically disable interface buttons if the external storage is not mounted (this fixes FC people had while trying to move items when the SD card was disconnected from the device and connected to iPhoto).
    - Fixed preview for 2x1 widget.
    - New translations: Spanish, Indonesian, Italian, Malay, Polish.

2012-08-28 - 1.1

2012-08-25 - 1.0
    - First public release.
    - Support for themes (dark, light, light & dark).
    - Automatic discovery of right folders on first launch.
    - Option to monitor multiple folders (Donation required).

PLANNED FEATURES
    - Translations: if you want to contribute, you can submit your own translation to http://www.getlocalization.com/DCIMHelper/. If I feel like it, I may give you a special package enabling extra features as a thank you... but the translation has to be good! ;)
    - A homescreen widget to turn on/off the service (without having to open the app) :victory:
    - Optionally rename 3GP, MOV, M4V, etc files to MP4.
    - Improve auto-discovery on devices using "_externalSD" hack.
    - "Share to..." service to be used in Gallery and such apps. After a review, it looks like it's impossible due to Android internals. :(
    Hi hrk!

I just finished Spanish Latin American translation for this app. I hope you can include it in the next version.

Cheers!
    2012-08-28 - 1.1

I hope you'll like the widgets, the icon should be self explanatory. The number (only available in the 2x1 widget, so people can have a toggle-only-widget) is the count of pictures and movies that the app moved. So you can keep an eye on it increasing when you shoot a picture! ;)

I tried them on a HDPI (HTC Desire Z) and a LDPI (Samsung Galaxy Mini) devices. They should look fine on other screen sizes as well, both portrait and landscape. :fingers-crossed: