UPDATES:
07-06-2012

• Updated to 2nd Edition
  • Added Hardware Basics for Samsung Galaxy Young: Reference + Guides
  • Revised Topics
  • To be added: Parts of Ten :D
05-14-2012

• Updated Thread Format
  • For other updates, please check individual sections update logs :)
NOTE:
I spent hours updating my guides and I don't ask you to press that THANKS button, be kind enough not to copy my guides to other forums. I know some noobs want to make a name on other forum boards... but hey, that's not an excuse!
What You Don't Need to Read
Aside from the topics you can use right away, much of this guide is skippable. I have placed some extra-technical yet newbie friendly information in self-contained sidebars.
Don't read this stuff if you are impatient, an alpha geek or simply don't know how to read and understand English.
Foolish Assumptions
I am going to make two(2) assumptions of who you are: (1) You are someone who is a new owner of Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360 and (2) you want to tweak your device and make it more customized but don't know where to start. I hope you know that some customization or mods(modifications) need more than "he says" and "they say" to be able to make it work. My goal is to help you know the "basics" so you won't end up messing with your phone or spamming Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360's section.
How this guide is organized
Inside this guide, you will find sections arranged in four parts. Each section breaks down into topics that cover various aspects of the section.
Part I: Guide to Flashing ROMs and Kernel
This part present a layperson's introduction to what flashing is all about. This is a good place to start if you are clueless about what a ROM is, a Kernel, Flashing and why you are suddenly expected to use one.

The good thing about this part is that it focuses on how to use a Flasher and System Recovery without getting into the technical details of each tool. In other words, this part is aimed to help you learn how to flash and update your phone's firmware.
Part II: Guide to Tweaking and Modding
Uh-oh. You saw this girl in your neighborhood -and look! She's got a Samsung Galaxy Young like you! and you need to impress her with your SGY so she'd ask you to pimp her phone too but the problem is, you don't know where those cool tweaks are! Very Bad!
This section covers every tweak and mod available for Samsung Galaxy Young and Android devices as well -of course all tweaks and mods to be posted are sure to work with your beloved SGY.
Part III: Guide to Unlocking and Getting Your Warranty Back
This section focuses on network/carrier stuff. You'll learn how to unlock and relock your phone and the best part of this section? -You'll learn how to restore your phone's virginity -ain't that nice? :D
Part IV: Hardware Basics | Reference and Guides
This section has some specific information about Samsung Galaxy Young's hardware components to help you get started in knowing your device a little more. ;)
Where to Go from Here
Yes, you can get there from here. With this guide at hand, you're ready to plow right through the rugged SGY tweaking terrain.
Be bold! Be courageous! Be adventurous! And above all, have fun!
NOTES:
Do you have any suggestion? New methods or simply want to improve this guide and help others more? Send me a PM with your bright idea, tips, suggestions or anyhting that would aid in improving this guide.

. . . and sorry for late updates. I have a life too, and it has been very busy;)

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Guide to Flashing ROMs and Kernels - Currenty Editing

Guide to Flashing ROMS and Kernel
In this section . . .

One day you bumped into a thread of a custon ROM with screenshots so good it was love at first sight. After minutes of mouth watering goodness, suddenly you decided that your phone should look exactly like that so you can be a million times cooler than your neighbor who has the same phone. Thread has a zip file attached and says; flash this using the mystical CWM to pwn your neighbor's face and leave him to dust. . .

If this happened to you, you'll surely appreciate the topics in this section. They provide gentle introduction to flashing, ROMS, Kernels and Android Recovery written specially for the reluctant user.

Topics in this section:

1. Odin Communicator: Your Best Bud
  2. Android System Recovery: Your Ticket to uber cool SGY
  3. ROMS: What it is and why do you need one
  4. Kernels: Some more way to make your phone uber cool
UPDATES:
07-08-2012

• Minor revision: Updated some info and links
06-06-2012

• Minor revision
  • Reviewed Custom ROMS list
05-29-2012

05-21-2012

• Updated ROM and Kernel List. Added new links.
05-16-2012

• New Kernels and Kernel Modules
  • faqbly's Kernel Flashing Tool added under Kernel Flashing methods
  • Corrected typos :D
05-10-2012

• ROM and Kernel Flashing Methods added
  • New Kernel added
  • Updated screen shots and revised format
  • Added more info
1. Odin Communicator : Your Best Bud
What is this fishy . . . fatsy . . . ugh . . . flasher thing?
Odin or Odin Communicator is a firmware flashing tool for Samsung Phones. Available for Windows XP/Vista/7 but as for other OS like OS X or Linux, that i don't know. :D
Why do I need to be friend with Odin?
You need it because you're no super hero who can magically revive a dead phone just by counting 1-2-3.

Odin Communicator is the same tool that service centers use to fix your phone and aside from fixing your phone, you can also use it to dump files from your phone -but of course, you don't need that and will never ever -unless you're an alpha geek ;)

So be courageous! fear not screwing your phone, Odin has your back. Go! Explore! and play with your phone till you brick it. :D
Where can I get Odin?
You can get it from my Google Drive using this LINK
Any requirements to run Odin?
Oh yes, glad you ask! You need the following:

1. A computer running Windows XP/Vista/7
  2. Samsung USB drivers (comes with Samsung KIES) - Download Samsung USB Drivers via DIRECT LINK (Thanks to ronnieryan's post #3)
When do we use Odin?
To revert to Stock Firmware
This is the very basic thing you need to learn. This will help us keep our section tidy -no uber noob question that shouldn't be asked in the first place if you read this thread.
To revive/unbrick a dead phone
there would be times that as a beginner, you will be too trigger happy to try new tweaks and mods that in the end, you have nothing but a black shiny piece of square thingy and say that again, **** happens... and when that happens, you can either cry and pray that your phone will turn on or flood the forum asking for help simply because of being careless and being ignorant not to learn the basics and have a fall back plan.
Odin Communicator's main function is not only to flash firmware files, but to revive your phone as well.
What is a firmware file?
Firmware file contains everything in your phone in software aspect. Samsung Galaxy Young's firmware contains 3 packages.
PDA File
This is the ROM file. It contains apps, default wallpapers and sounds and of course the apps we hate the most -carrier specific bloatwares. Darn! :D
PHONE File
This is the MODEM file. This controls all the network radio on your phone, and anything network related. To cut it short, this is the BASEBAND of your phone.
CSC File
This is the Country Sales Code file. It contains carrier related files, like carrier specific wallpapers and sounds and bloatwares that we hate the most. CSC is also responsible for the update you get from Kies.
NOTE:
To flash firmware files in Odin, you should have the 3 packages or else you will not be able to flash your phone correctly.
The version of Odin (attached link) in this Guide accepts 1-file flashing, meaning you can flash PDA, PHONE or CSC without the need of having 3 of them. But again, it is better that you have 3 files to flash. Firmware flashing is no mix-and-match.
What are the files supported by Odin
Odin supports several file format for each firmware package file. Refer to list below:

• For PDA File, Odin supports *.tar,*.md5,*smd
  • For PHONE File, Odin supports *.bin,*.tar,*.md5
  • For CSC File, Odin supports *.tar,*.md5
GUIDE TO FLASHING FIRMWARE VIA ODIN COMMUNICATOR
What do I need to flash?

1. Odin Communicator and must meet the above requirements.
  2. Firmware Packages and must be Odin Flash-able.
I have Odin Communicator now, where can I download Odin Flash-able firmware packages?
You can download STOCK FIRMWARE PACKAGES from Doky73's Galaxy Y S5360 Flashable Firmware Packages's thread.
NOTE:
Make sure you select the firmware for your country as each country has it's own CSC(Country Sales Code).
Okay, I have the ROM I need. What's next?
The next thing you need is to verify that Odin detects your phone when it is in Download Mode.
How to put Samsung Galaxy Young into Download Mode

1. Turn off your phone
  2. Press the Home Key + the Volume Down Key + the Power Button untill you see the screen with "Warning! blah blah blah"
  3. Now once you see the warning thing that will scare you cause it says it can cause critical problems, ignore it and press the Volume Up Key
  4. After pressing the volume up key, you are now in ODIN MODE. If this is your first time, windows will install drivers for download mode, be patient as it may take sometime.
Verify that Odin detects your phone
If Odin detects your phone correctly, the ID:COM section will turn yellow indicating that the phone is connected and Odin can communicate with it.
See the screen shot below:
com-port.jpg

Select the Firmware File Packages
Put a check on the PDA, PHONE, and CSC under Files.
files.jpg

Now browse for the files
See the screen shots below:
select-files.jpg

Make sure you have all 3 packages selected.
files-selected.jpg

Ohhh . . . I have all the packages loaded, what now?
Once you have all the packages loaded, click on Start to start flashing.
How long will this take?
Not too long, about 43-45 seconds for Odin flashing plus 1-2 minutes or even 3 minutes for SGY to boot and load.
What is Android System Recovery
Android system recovery is a tool used to flash ZIP files like:
Updates (.zip)
Custom ROM
Custom Kernel
Themes
Icon Packs
MODS and Tweaks (usually scripts that needs to be flashed)
What are the types of Android System Recovery
Stock Recovery
Android's built-in recovery and contains basic function like:
Reboot System
Apply update from SD card
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
ClockWorkMod Recovery
A custom system recovery that contains advanced options:
Reboots system now
Wipe data/reset
Install zip from SD

• choose zip from sdcard
  • apply /system/update
  • toggle signature verification
  • toggle script assert
Backup and restore

• backup
  • restore
  • advanced restore
Mounts and storage

• mount or unmount /cache (default is mounted)
  • mount or unmount /data (default is mounted)
  • mount or unmount /system (default is unmounted in Merruk Kernel)
  • format /cache
  • format /data
  • format /sdcard
  • format /system
  • mount USB storage
Advanced and debugging

• reboot recovery
  • wipe dalvik cache
  • wipe battery stats
  • report error
  • key test
  • show log
  • partition SD card

• 128M
  • 256M
  • 512M
  • 1024M
  • 2048M
  • 4096M
fix permissions
CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERIES FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY YOUNG
Permanent ClockWorkMod Recovery on Maroc-OS's MerrukTechnology Kernel Thread
Please be warned that this recovery is not yet finished and has some bugs.
UPDATE:
Some users say that the /system mount bug is fixed in v2.0 pre final -but still not auto mount in my phone, so be warned and always check if /system is mounted under Storage and Mounts before you do ROM, Kernel or .zip flashing.
ClockWorkMod Recovery Port on Skin1980's ClockWorkMod Recovery PortingThread
This is a port of ClockWorkMod Recovery. For more information please do refer to the thread.
Temporary Recovery by Doky73
Temporary and needs to be applied as update from sd every time you need to use it.
Download Temporary Recovery from Doky73's Google Drive or from 4Shared(mirrored)
ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch by Maroc-OS
The first CWM Recovery compiled from source + the magic of touch and other fixes :). For more information and download links, please visit Maroc-OS's ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch Compiled from Sources
4EXT Recovery
A custom recovery and has touch support but not for SGY. Never ever purchase from play store and complain that you can't use it! :p
When do we use Android System Recovery
To do wipe data/factory reset
do a factory reset, very very handy if you forgot your password/pin/pattern/gmail account/samsung account
quick fix if you messed up with your phone
To do wipe cache partition
clears your cache partition
To flash Custom ROMS
to flash .zip ROMS and other flashable ZIPS and Updates
To flash Custom Kernels (Mai77's Method)
using mai77's Kernel Flashing Method, you can flash custom kernel without adding bin count
To calibrate battery by clearing batterystats.bin
available in CWM (which is a myth that seems to work)
What is a ROM?
ROM stands for Read Only Memory which refers to the internal memory of your phone. But hey, that's a different thing. What we're talking about here is the ROM which is a firmware of any version(stock or custom). It is the operating system of your phone.
What's the difference between a Stock ROM and a Custom ROM?
Stock ROMS
These ROMS are ROMS that came with your phone, distributed by Samsung via Kies Update. It comes in different versions and may or may not be available depending on your region.
Custom ROMS
These ROMS are developed from stock ROMS. These ROMS contains mods and tweaks that enhances your phone. Though these ROMS have new fucntionalities, some ROMS aren't stable and often, custom ROMS for SGY are tested by users here on XDA as most developers don't have a Samsung Galaxy Young Phone and they rely on user feedbacks.
Custom ROMS are categorized in two types:
Brewed ROMS
made from stock ROMS.
contains features like stock ROMS + new tweaks and improved performance.
Ports or Ported ROMS
Ported community created ROMS
made entirely from an opensource android OS
contains features from stock android OS + advanced features developed by community
most popular ROMS are MIUI, CyanogenMod and some Chinese built ROMS which I don't remember the names :D
Why Do I need a ROM?
Because the ROM you have in your phone ain't cool and the ROM we have here in XDA can kick others butt -for sure! :D
Are there Custom ROMS that are stable?
Yes there is! and most of them are based on Stock ROMS. Listed below are Custom ROMS that are updated and stable:
ROM Flashing Methods
Standard flashing method | Stock Android Recovery | for virgin SGY

1. Turn off your phone
  2. Press the Home Key + the Volume Up Key + the Power Button
  3. Once you see the Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360, press the the Home Key + the Volume Up Key + the Power Button again until you see Android System Recovery
  4. Once you see Android System Recovery, release the keys. You need to be quick as if you don't release it, it will restart your phone.
  5. Do Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition. This is optional but is recommended as this is required for most ROMS to install properly.
  6. Now select Apply update from SD Card and browse for the ROM file.
  7. Once installation is finished, restart your phone.
  8. You're Done!
NOTE:
Some ROMS take sometime to fully boot and load your device, but this is for first time boot after new ROM installation
ClockWorkMod Flashing Method:
For SGY with modified Kernels | ClockWorkMod by MadTeam or Skin1980 | Temporary CWM by Doky73
The same steps as Standard Flashing Method apply for CWM.
For Temporary CWM, follow standard flashing method then browse for TempCWM or CWM-Y--doky.zip and CWM start automatically.
For Maroc-OS's built-in CWM:

1. Turn off your phone
  3. Once you see the Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360, press the the Home Key + the Volume Up Key + the Power Button again. (NOTE: For phones with MerrukTechnology Kernel 2.0 PRE-FINAL, You don't need to press the key combination again, just wait few seconds to load CWM Recovery)
  4. Once you see the Android Logo with Green background, release the keys coz if you don't, your phone will restart. Wait for CWM to show up.
  5. Select Mounts and storage (navigate using volume up or down) and then select (using the home key) mount/system
  6. Browse for the ROM to install
  7. After installation, press the power key to go back and then select reboot system now.
NOTE:
If you don't mount /system, ROM will not be applied even though it says successfully installed.​
What is a Kernel
The kernel is the main component of Android operating system; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components).
Types of Kernel:
Stock Kernel
These Kernels are Kernels that came with your phone, distributed by Samsung via Kies Update. It comes in different versions and may or may not be available depending on your region.
Custom Kernel
These Kernels are developed from stock kernels. Most kernels are built to support tweaks and mods and adds new feature as well. Below are some of the interesting features in custom kernels:

• init.d/support for scripts
  • swap support to increase RAM
  • dualboot support
  • and many more...kinda lazy to mention other features. You can always visit the kernel's development page for features ;)
Where can I find Kernels?
For Stock Kernels
You don't need to search for Stock Kernels, It came preloaded with the PDA File package on stock ROMS
For Custom Kicking Ass Kernels:
Look no further, below is the list of Kernels available for SGY
Pre-Alpha and needs testers:

• Moved irfanbagus's DUAL BOOT for SGY to stable list as kurotsugi said "he(irfanbagus) said it's beta stage but actually its already on its final "
  • None as of now :D
Advanced Kernels and modules - not for noobs to play with! You have been warned::cool:
Kernels:

Kernel Modules:
What exactly is a kernel module? Modules are pieces of code that can be loaded and unloaded into the kernel upon demand. They extend the functionality of the kernel without the need to reboot the system. For example, one type of module is the device driver, which allows the kernel to access hardware connected to the system. Without modules, we would have to build monolithic kernels and add new functionality directly into the kernel image. Besides having larger kernels, this has the disadvantage of requiring us to rebuild and reboot the kernel every time we want new functionality.
KERNEL Flashing Methods:
Odin Flashing Method

1. Download the Kernel file (it should be .tar file format or other supported formats)
  2. Put your phone in download mode
  3. Open Odin Communicator
  4. On the PDA field, browse for the kernel file you downloaded
  5. Press Start to start flashing the kernel
  6. You're Done!
mai77's Kernel Flashing Method

1. Download the Kernel file (it should be .tar file format)
  2. Download KernelUpdate.zip by mai77
  3. Download ClockWorkMod (in .zip format and can be any CWM for SGY) and put it to the root of your SD Card
  4. Extract the boot.img to the root of your SD Card.
  5. Turn of your phone and put it to Recovery Mode.
  6. Select apply update from sd card and browse for ClockWorkMod(If you have CWM, skip this step)
  7. Once you are in ClockWorkMod, browse for KernelUpdate.zip. This will automatically look for any boot.img file in your SD Card and flashes it automatically.
  8. After it successfully installed the kernel, press the power button and select reboot system now to restart your phone.
  9. You're done!
faqbly's Kernel Flashing Method using a Recovery Tool. It is the same method as mai77's Method, but faqbly's tool can automatically backup your old boot.img. For more info visit:
[edit here to preserve format] -ignore me :D

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Guide to Tweaking and Modding

In this section . . .
Have you ever wanted to take your device to a higher level of customization but don't know which MODs or Tweaks are effective in boosting the performance your device yet safe to play with? If your answer is Yes, then this section is for you!

Without further ado, here they are . . .
Topics in this section:

1. Part 1: Guide to Tweaks, Mods and More
  2. Part 2: Useful How To's that'll aid you in Tweaking/Modding your device
UPDATES:
07-12-2012

• Added kurotsugi's AKURO-DATA2SD - New Method to Increase Internal Memory
07-08-2012

• Minor revision: Updated format and links
04-19-2012

• Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition Guide Added
04-15-2012

• V6 Supercharger - Lag, Redraw & RAM Fixer! GT-S5360 Configuration + KickAssKernelizer Guide Added
  • Link2SD for Dummies - Increase Internal Memory Free Space Guide Added
Part 1: Guide to Tweaks, Mods and More
Akuro-Data2SD
Yet another internal memory saving tweak for all of us.
Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition Guide
Finally! Swap for Samsung Galaxy Young -now you can play GTA on your phone and other HD games that requires more RAM
V6 Supercharger - Lag, Redraw & RAM Fixer! GT-S5360 Configuration + KickAssKernelizer Guide
This is a guide I made to help others configure V6 SuperCharger and make sure your phone gets 100% super charged. Full installation and setup guide link:
Link2SD for Dummies - Increase Internal Memory Free Space
This guide covers everything you need to know about Link2SD. Full installation and setup guide link:
Part 2: Useful How To's that'll aid you in Tweaking/Modding your device
How to ADB the easy way
What is ADB?
The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a tool kit for Android developers, available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Found as part of the Android SDK Platform-tools package, it consists of both client and server-side programs that communicate with one another. The ADB is typically accessed through the command-line interface.
How to Install and launch ADB

1. Download SDK_tools.zip from HERE
  2. Extract SDK_tools to the root of your C drive and you should have:
  3. Now after extracting the files, we need to open the Command Promt
    How to open command promt
    Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories
    Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
    A black window will appear, that's the Command Prompt
    The other way . . .
    Press the Windows Key (the key with windows logo) and the letter R all together
    Run box will open and we need to type the word cmd
    Click OK and a black window will open, that's the Command Promt
  4. Now that we have the command promt open, we need to change command promt's directory to C:\SDK_tools. To do that, we need to type the code below then press enter
  5. Now that we changed the directory open,we need to launch ADB. To do that, we need to type the code below then press enter
  6. Now you are in Android Debug Bridge Mode and go play with it :D
How To Change CSC
This works with firmwares with multiple CSC (Multi-CSC) only.
What is the use of changing CSC?
Changing CSC to specific region will allow you to get updates (via KIES or OTA) available only to that particular region. It will also allow you to change the branding (default walls/sound alerts/homepage/carrier specific apps/etc) of your phone to any network for your region
WARNING: Changing CSC will factory reset your phone! DO a backup before you proceed.
To change your CSC

1. Navigate to your phone's dialer and type *#272*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your 15-digit IMEI number. (to get IMEI, type *#06# on your dialer)
  2. Select the CSC code for your region or any region you want. For CSC reference, please do visit manniakk's Multi-CSC Reference on tis LINK
  3. Tap on Install and viola! Time to re-setup your phone. Good luck. :D

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Guide to Unlocking and Getting Warranty Back

Guide to Unlocking and Getting Warranty Back
UPDATES:
04-15-2012
Added Galaxy Toolbox - Network Unlock + Custom BIN Reset App for root users
This is a compilation of Guides related to unlocking, re-locking, resetting bin count and anything related to getting your warranty back
1. Unlocking Samsung Galaxy Young
What is Unlocking?
Unlocking enables you to cut all ties to your initial mobile network provider without replacing your mobile phone.
When you purchase a mobile phone either on pay-as-you-go or a contract, network carrier includes a SIM, a chip in your handset, containing a serial number that identifies you to the network provider.
Most network carrier "lock" your phone so it works only with their specific SIM card, a chip in your handset, containing a serial number that identifies you to the network provider.
The only reason to lock the SIM is to ensure you use their service for an extended period of time. If you attempt to use an alternative SIM card in a locked phone, you will receive error messages, such as "SIM Card Not Accepted."
Unlocking enables you to use any SIM card on any network in your handset.
Unlocking Methods
Legal Unlocking:
Finish your contract then ask for the unlock code :D
Online Unlocking:
Well, not recommended as it requires you to:

1. Pay via credit card or any online payment available
  2. Give your 15 digit IMEI code which they can use to clone your phone
  3. Wait for days to get unlock code which means you pay and wait and sometimes wait for nothing and then realized its a scam. :mad:
XDA Method :cool:
May not be the best, not bulletproof and not legal but:

• It's free
  • It's cool
  • It's awesome
  • It comes with XDA Community Support
  • and . . . re-Net Lock to get your warranty back :p
XDA Unlocking Methods:
devion14's Openline & reNetLock [Revised] Updated [Tested] + ScreenShots
The first and only(I think) unlock available on XDA. Compiled, revised and tested by users, created by developers.
2. Getting Warranty Back
Resetting Bin Count
What is a bin count
If you happen to flash a stock rom or perhaps just for the heck of it you tried to go into download mode, you will see there custom bin count. Now what the heck is bin count and why the hell do you need to worry about it? Simply because bin count indicates the number of custom bin (boot.img) flashed on your phone using Odin Communicator and tells your carrier or service center that you already void your warranty.
Okay, I have custom bin count: yes(100000000000000). Should I worry?
Yes, but no coz we can simply reset your bin count. :D
Wow that's nice! How?
Thanks to Doky73's Reset custom bin counter - Without JIG we can remove your nasty bin counts.
Clearing bin count (if the steps aren't clear to you)

1. Download resetbin.zip and CWM-Y--doky.zip from the original thread.
  2. Put resetbin.zip and CWM-Y--doky.zip on the root of your SD Card.
  3. Go to Android Recovery Mode and select apply update from sd card
  4. Select CWM-Y--doky.zip and wait for it to start temporary CWM
  5. Under CWM, select install zip from sd card
  6. Now browse for resetbin and wait for it to finish applying the zip file.
  7. Congratulations! Your SGY is once again, a virgin! :D
UPDATE:
Android App now available for root users!
Doky73's Galaxy Toolbox - Network Unlock + Custom BIN Reset

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Hardware Basics - Under Construction

The Hard part of Samsung Galaxy Young
Way back May 26th, I started this THREAD, It seems that it is not a success and the only way users can view this thread is by patiently digging the whole section for old threads so I decided to include this on my 2nd edition of SGY for Dummies.
All you need to know about SGY battery
Battery Info:
Standard battery:
Li-Ion 1200 mAh
Technology:
Lithium Ion
Stand-By:
Up to 850 h (2G) / Up to 540 h (3G)
Talk Time:
Up to 17 h (2G) / Up to 6 h 20 min (3G)
Li-Ion Battery
A lithium-ion battery (sometimes Li-ion battery or LIB) is a family of rechargeable battery types in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge, and back when charging. Chemistry, performance, cost, and safety characteristics vary across LIB types. Unlike lithium primary batteries (which are disposable), lithium-ion electrochemical cells use an intercalated lithium compound as the electrode material instead of metallic lithium.
Battery Cycle
Battery Cycle Life is defined as the number of complete charge - discharge cycles a battery can perform before its nominal capacity falls below 80% of its initial rated capacity. Key factors affecting cycle life are time t and the number N of charge-discharge cycles completed.
Battery Life
Battery Life is the elapsed time before a battery becomes unusable whether it is in active use or inactive. There are two key factors influencing calendar life, namely temperature and time
How to prolong battery life?
Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.
If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.
Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Avoiding full charge has benefits, and some manufacturers set the charge threshold lower on purpose to prolong battery life.
Ideal battery Charge Time
3.7 V Li-ion Battery

• 120 mins - 65%
  • 135 mins - 76%
  • 150 mins - 82%
  • 165 mins - 87%
  • 180 mins - 100%
Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

1. A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger so turn off your phone when you are charging the battery.
  2. Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing. Do not charge your phone in your fridge
    biggrin.gif
  3. Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
  4. Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
  5. Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
  6. Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.
Battery Calibration
What is battery calibration?
Battery calibration is a complete discharge and charge cycle of a battery that helps the batteries charge and discharge performance.
Any methods of doing that?
Yes, aside from full charge and discharge, you can delete batterystats.bin which is available on ClockWorkMod recovery under Advanced and Debugging.
Deleting batterystats.bin, cool! -no it's not!
Deleting batterystats.bin is a Myth! Read this article from Google+ by one of Android engineers Google+ Article
Sources:

All you need to know about storage, finding the right sd card and more!
Secure Digital Card (SD Card)
Secure Digital (SD) is a non-volatile memory card format developed by the SD Card Association (SDA) for use in portable devices. The SD technology is used by more than 400 brands across dozens of product categories and more than 8,000 models.
SD comprises several families of cards: the original, Standard-Capacity (SDSC) card, a High-Capacity (SDHC) card family, an eXtended-Capacity (SDXC) card family, and the SDIO family with input/output functions rather than just data storage.
Types of SD Cards
Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Young
Standard SD or SDSC Card (the one came with your phone from Samsung)
The standard SD card measures 24 mm by 32 mm by 2.1 mm and has a maximum storage capacity up to 2 GB. The compact design makes it ideal for portable storage of photos, songs and video files, replacing the need for bulky tapes and discs
SDHC
The Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) format, defined in Version 2.0 of the SD specification, supports cards with capacities up to 32 GB. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility.
SDHC cards are physically and electrically identical to standard-capacity SD cards (SDSC). The major compatibility issues between SDHC and SDSC cards are the redefinition of the Card-Specific Data (CSD) register in Version 2.0 (see below), and the fact that SDHC cards are shipped preformatted with the FAT32 file system.
NOT Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Young
SDXC
The Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) format supports cards up to 2 TB (2048 GB), compared to a limit of 32 GB for SDHC cards in the SD 2.0 specification.
SDIO
A SDIO (Secure Digital Input Output) card is an extension of the SD specification to cover I/O functions. Host devices that support SDIO (typically PDAs like the Palm Treo, but occasionally laptops or mobile phones) can use the SD slot to support GPS receivers, modems, barcode readers, FM radio tuners, TV tuners, RFID readers, digital cameras, and interfaces to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and IrDA. Many other SDIO devices have been proposed, but it is now more common for I/O devices to connect using the USB interface.
SDIO cards support most of the memory commands of SD cards. SDIO cards can be structured as 8 logical cards, although currently, the typical way that an SDIO card uses this capability is to structure itself as one I/O card and one memory card.
SD Card Classes
What is the SD Speed Class?
The SD Association has established standards that rate the minimum data transfer in SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDHC UHS-I and SDXC UHS-I memory cards and devices. The speed rates were established based on the needs of movie and video companies because video recording requires certain writing speeds when recording the data onto a memory card. The SD Speed Class and UHS Speed Class standardized the specification for both memory cards and devices in order to guarantee minimum writing speeds and deliver the best performance.
Speed Class Rating
The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD cards. The class number guarantees a minimum write speed as a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s). The SDA defines several speed class ratings, but manufacturers may claim conformance to those ratings without independent verification.
These are the ratings of all currently available cards:
Class 2 - 2 MB/s
Class 4 - 4 MB/s
Class 6 - 6 MB/s
Class 10 - 10 MB/s
What are the applications for Speed Class?

• Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
  • Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting
  • Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera
  • Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting
SD Card Partitioning
What is SD partitioning?
SD Partitioning is the act of dividing a SD Card into multiple logical storage units referred to as partitions, to treat one physical disk drive as if it were multiple disks. Partitions are also termed "slices" for operating systems based on BSD, Solaris or GNU Hurd. A partition editor software program can be used to create, resize, delete, and manipulate these partitions on the hard disk.
SD Card Partitioning Guide - XDA Wiki

• SD Card Partitioning from XDA Wiki - Read HERE
Shrinking/Extending SD Card partitions
-will create a guide soon
smile.gif

Tools You need to create partitions:
Linux Distros:

Windows:

• MiniTool Partition Wizard - Homepage - Download the Home Edition
Sources:

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
BONUS: Random Fixes and Workarounds

Random Fixes and Workarounds
This section will include other fixes and workarounds for common issues like rom flashing, tweaking etc,etc. You can simply ignore this portion as some of these are included in supports threads for ROMS, Kernels, etc etc. This section is not categorized -sorry if it's kinda mess :D
HCFroyd247's ChobitsDigitalis V1.8 ROM + Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8 Final

This is a fix for the following issues in installing Chobits ROM + Custom Kernel with the following issues:
  1. Installation finished but SGY still have stock rom
  2. Temporary CWM won't load on top of MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8's CWM Recovery
  3. Installation aborted (status 7)
Workaround:
  1. Flash Stock Firmware found on Doky73's [Stock][ROM][Odin] Galaxy Y S5360 flashable firmware packages's thread using Odin.
  2. Flash Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8 Final using Odin. Flash the file on the PDA field.
  3. Reboot to Recovery and go to Storage and Mounts > mount /system. Select mount /system by pressing the home key and then press the power key to go back.
  4. Select Wipe Data / Factory Reset and Wipe Cache partition. After doing that, press the power key again to go back
  5. Select install zip from sd > choose zip from sdcard then browse for ChobitsDigitals v1 ROM
  6. After Installation, press the power key to go back and then select reboot system now
  7. After that, reboot back to recovery and do steps 3 and 5 but this time you need to browse for the v1.8 update. Restart afterwards :D
NOTE:
If you want to update to Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V 2.0 Pre-Final,flash it using Odin on PDA field. You don't need to copy system folder if you are upgrading from 1.0.8

Last edited:

Fallen_Knight

Mar 5, 2012
before you continue,,did you as the original dev/op for their permission?? dont just recreate others hard work

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
before you continue,,did you as the original dev/op for their permission?? dont just recreate others hard work

First of all, I am not copy-pasting stuff so re-creating other's hard work is a no no. This is intended for new users, be it new android user or new sgy user.

If you would take time to look and read, the stuff you read here are not the same like others work. The format, the info, the steps, etc. And as for credit, the author and the thread itself if linked properly, credits are given to those who worked hard for any mod/tweak and if in case you see a mirrored download, it is either deleted from the original thread or links are permanently dead.

I know you may have seen similar thread, but do similar threads has the same info? Some are just steps that came with a warning saying they could mess up the phone. My guides are tested, revised and noob-friendly. :D

Fallen_Knight

Mar 5, 2012
choice is your's...but without the original one,you wont come up with the same idea...so still dont recreate others hard work. even if you make it clearer or better..it is still their work...so for you to understand, respect what the original dev/op wants about their thread...you cant just make a thread based from someone's thread then you tell them its not copy paste,,it is still their intellectual property....

Last edited:

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
So what's your point sir? Say you learned something somewhere and decided to help others by creating a guide you are considered stealing someone's intellectual property? I don't get your point and I don't think it makes sense. Would you like me to credit you? Do you have intellectual property on this thread that I forgot to mention?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda premium

Reactions: TechBurner

ronnieryan

Jan 9, 2012
Dumaguete
with all due respect to ur purpose to help newbies

but

i am with devion14 here

even though you say that this is to help newbies, etc, etc..
devion14 is still the original dev of unlocking and renetwork lock for SGY
he as the developer of this unlocking and renetwork lock thinggy
it is his intellectual property and that is protected by the rules of XDA
12. Using the work of others.

If you are developing something that is based on the work of another Member, you MUST first seek their permission, and you must give credit to the member whose work you used. If a dispute occurs about who developed / created a piece of work, first try to settle the matter by private message and NOT in open forum. If this fails then you may contact a moderator with clear evidence that the work was created by you.

Convincing evidence will result in copied work being removed. If there is no clear evidence you created the work then in the spirit of sharing all work will remain posted on the forums.

These rules apply to all software posted on XDA unless that software comes with a license that waives these rules.

Devion as the original says NO, so you cannot just improvise his thread with the reason that you want to help others..

To sum it all up, just remove the tutorial on unlocking SGY
You cannot win this argument with the reason to help others

deathnotice01

Feb 19, 2012
Cebu
if the original dev's won't complain then there is no argument for this in the legal sense
just credit the dev's and if the decline to give you permission to post the work then its simple, just dont post their work,

don't stop this thread, for me its a good work,
the mods will decide whether to keep this or not,

and in legal sense you can argue about it to the mods,
for which based on my own judgement this thread is fine, helps reduce the new threads new users create to ask questions that is repeatedly asked over and over again

then again there is always the almighty search button some people just refuse or is too ignorant to notice its there
2lb03zt.jpg

peace everyone

Last edited:

leodasal2

Feb 5, 2012
Iloilo City
when it comes to things that are "Developed" (may it be a rom or an app) here, you have to ask permission from the developer first

ps: ask for devion14's permission for the network unlocking tutorial

Last edited:

ronnieryan

Jan 9, 2012
Dumaguete
when it comes to things that are "Developed" (may it be a rom or an app) here, you have to ask permission from the developer first

ps: ask for devion14's permission for the network unlocking tutorial

i think devion14 wants to put the development,discussion, etc on his thread alone, that way further development can be done and proper developer can be credited..so to solve this, just post a link to devions thread if you want to put it on this SGY for dummies..BTW devions instructions on his thread are very2x clear..you dont need to improvise..just a link to his thread will do

Fallen_Knight

Mar 5, 2012
to cut it short and avoid arguments flooding this thread of yours...SGY openline and renetlock will stay on my threadd...discussions and support also stays in my thread...just link my thread if you want...but i dont want you to recreate or modify my thread here....all questions and answers regarding openline and renetlock are all there and noobs should learn to do back reading,,not everything should be spoon fed...so please understand...

ASK ORIGINAL DEV/OP PERMISSION BEFORE RECREATING OR MODIFYING THEIR HARD WORK...RESPECT THEM...

HCFroyd247

Mar 30, 2012
Nice. Really Nice.

This the most comprehensive guide I have ever seen, thank you for taking time and effort in making this guide. Please continue to update it, this sure will make a fine beacon for newbies to understand their Android device.

-> for other tutorials (specially development related) you can ask the developers for their permissions to avoid others in attacking this thread.

I believe that this thread is created in good faith, there are tons of tutorials that you can post here that doesn't require permissions. For example: general related threads, how to's, guide to theming, etc. Those will be covered by fair use law. This thread is not a poor derivative of other threads nor it aims to supersede the works of others for profit. I think this thread's sole purpose is to enrich and help others by compiling useful information about the subject at hand.

I think that you have done great in crediting your sources, therefore this thread have my vote to get stickied.:)

PS. I would like to ask you to remove chobitsdigitalis as your recommended rom, having a link to my thread will suffice. Though your opinions and view are respected, let us make this thread as "general" as possible:)

Thank you very much for your Good Work! Excelsior!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sgy_for_dummies_by_carldeancatabay-d56b6j7.jpg

UPDATES:
    07-06-2012

• Updated to 2nd Edition
    • Added Hardware Basics for Samsung Galaxy Young: Reference + Guides
    • Revised Topics
    • To be added: Parts of Ten :D
    05-14-2012

• Updated Thread Format
    • For other updates, please check individual sections update logs :)
    NOTE:
    I spent hours updating my guides and I don't ask you to press that THANKS button, be kind enough not to copy my guides to other forums. I know some noobs want to make a name on other forum boards... but hey, that's not an excuse!
    What You Don't Need to Read
    Aside from the topics you can use right away, much of this guide is skippable. I have placed some extra-technical yet newbie friendly information in self-contained sidebars.
    Don't read this stuff if you are impatient, an alpha geek or simply don't know how to read and understand English.
    Foolish Assumptions
    I am going to make two(2) assumptions of who you are: (1) You are someone who is a new owner of Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360 and (2) you want to tweak your device and make it more customized but don't know where to start. I hope you know that some customization or mods(modifications) need more than "he says" and "they say" to be able to make it work. My goal is to help you know the "basics" so you won't end up messing with your phone or spamming Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360's section.
    How this guide is organized
    Inside this guide, you will find sections arranged in four parts. Each section breaks down into topics that cover various aspects of the section.
    Part I: Guide to Flashing ROMs and Kernel
    This part present a layperson's introduction to what flashing is all about. This is a good place to start if you are clueless about what a ROM is, a Kernel, Flashing and why you are suddenly expected to use one.

The good thing about this part is that it focuses on how to use a Flasher and System Recovery without getting into the technical details of each tool. In other words, this part is aimed to help you learn how to flash and update your phone's firmware.
    Part II: Guide to Tweaking and Modding
    Uh-oh. You saw this girl in your neighborhood -and look! She's got a Samsung Galaxy Young like you! and you need to impress her with your SGY so she'd ask you to pimp her phone too but the problem is, you don't know where those cool tweaks are! Very Bad!
    This section covers every tweak and mod available for Samsung Galaxy Young and Android devices as well -of course all tweaks and mods to be posted are sure to work with your beloved SGY.
    Part III: Guide to Unlocking and Getting Your Warranty Back
    This section focuses on network/carrier stuff. You'll learn how to unlock and relock your phone and the best part of this section? -You'll learn how to restore your phone's virginity -ain't that nice? :D
    Part IV: Hardware Basics | Reference and Guides
    This section has some specific information about Samsung Galaxy Young's hardware components to help you get started in knowing your device a little more. ;)
    Where to Go from Here
    Yes, you can get there from here. With this guide at hand, you're ready to plow right through the rugged SGY tweaking terrain.
    Be bold! Be courageous! Be adventurous! And above all, have fun!
    NOTES:
    Do you have any suggestion? New methods or simply want to improve this guide and help others more? Send me a PM with your bright idea, tips, suggestions or anyhting that would aid in improving this guide.

. . . and sorry for late updates. I have a life too, and it has been very busy;)
    Guide to Flashing ROMs and Kernels - Currenty Editing

Guide to Flashing ROMS and Kernel
    In this section . . .

One day you bumped into a thread of a custon ROM with screenshots so good it was love at first sight. After minutes of mouth watering goodness, suddenly you decided that your phone should look exactly like that so you can be a million times cooler than your neighbor who has the same phone. Thread has a zip file attached and says; flash this using the mystical CWM to pwn your neighbor's face and leave him to dust. . .

If this happened to you, you'll surely appreciate the topics in this section. They provide gentle introduction to flashing, ROMS, Kernels and Android Recovery written specially for the reluctant user.

Topics in this section:

1. Odin Communicator: Your Best Bud
    UPDATES:
    07-08-2012

• Minor revision: Updated some info and links
    06-06-2012

• Minor revision
    • Reviewed Custom ROMS list
    05-29-2012

05-21-2012

• Updated ROM and Kernel List. Added new links.
    05-16-2012

• New Kernels and Kernel Modules
    • faqbly's Kernel Flashing Tool added under Kernel Flashing methods
    • Corrected typos :D
    05-10-2012

• ROM and Kernel Flashing Methods added
    • New Kernel added
    • Updated screen shots and revised format
    • Added more info
    1. Odin Communicator : Your Best Bud
    What is this fishy . . . fatsy . . . ugh . . . flasher thing?
    Odin or Odin Communicator is a firmware flashing tool for Samsung Phones. Available for Windows XP/Vista/7 but as for other OS like OS X or Linux, that i don't know. :D
    Why do I need to be friend with Odin?
    You need it because you're no super hero who can magically revive a dead phone just by counting 1-2-3.

Odin Communicator is the same tool that service centers use to fix your phone and aside from fixing your phone, you can also use it to dump files from your phone -but of course, you don't need that and will never ever -unless you're an alpha geek ;)

So be courageous! fear not screwing your phone, Odin has your back. Go! Explore! and play with your phone till you brick it. :D
    Where can I get Odin?
    You can get it from my Google Drive using this LINK
    Any requirements to run Odin?
    Oh yes, glad you ask! You need the following:

1. A computer running Windows XP/Vista/7
    2. Samsung USB drivers (comes with Samsung KIES) - Download Samsung USB Drivers via DIRECT LINK (Thanks to ronnieryan's post #3)
    When do we use Odin?
    To revert to Stock Firmware
    This is the very basic thing you need to learn. This will help us keep our section tidy -no uber noob question that shouldn't be asked in the first place if you read this thread.
    To revive/unbrick a dead phone
    there would be times that as a beginner, you will be too trigger happy to try new tweaks and mods that in the end, you have nothing but a black shiny piece of square thingy and say that again, **** happens... and when that happens, you can either cry and pray that your phone will turn on or flood the forum asking for help simply because of being careless and being ignorant not to learn the basics and have a fall back plan.
    Odin Communicator's main function is not only to flash firmware files, but to revive your phone as well.
    What is a firmware file?
    Firmware file contains everything in your phone in software aspect. Samsung Galaxy Young's firmware contains 3 packages.
    PDA File
    This is the ROM file. It contains apps, default wallpapers and sounds and of course the apps we hate the most -carrier specific bloatwares. Darn! :D
    PHONE File
    This is the MODEM file. This controls all the network radio on your phone, and anything network related. To cut it short, this is the BASEBAND of your phone.
    CSC File
    This is the Country Sales Code file. It contains carrier related files, like carrier specific wallpapers and sounds and bloatwares that we hate the most. CSC is also responsible for the update you get from Kies.
    NOTE:
    To flash firmware files in Odin, you should have the 3 packages or else you will not be able to flash your phone correctly.
    The version of Odin (attached link) in this Guide accepts 1-file flashing, meaning you can flash PDA, PHONE or CSC without the need of having 3 of them. But again, it is better that you have 3 files to flash. Firmware flashing is no mix-and-match.
    What are the files supported by Odin
    Odin supports several file format for each firmware package file. Refer to list below:

• For PDA File, Odin supports *.tar,*.md5,*smd
    • For PHONE File, Odin supports *.bin,*.tar,*.md5
    • For CSC File, Odin supports *.tar,*.md5
    GUIDE TO FLASHING FIRMWARE VIA ODIN COMMUNICATOR
    What do I need to flash?

1. Odin Communicator and must meet the above requirements.
    2. Firmware Packages and must be Odin Flash-able.
    I have Odin Communicator now, where can I download Odin Flash-able firmware packages?
    You can download STOCK FIRMWARE PACKAGES from Doky73's Galaxy Y S5360 Flashable Firmware Packages's thread.
    NOTE:
    Make sure you select the firmware for your country as each country has it's own CSC(Country Sales Code).
    Okay, I have the ROM I need. What's next?
    The next thing you need is to verify that Odin detects your phone when it is in Download Mode.
    How to put Samsung Galaxy Young into Download Mode

1. Turn off your phone
    2. Press the Home Key + the Volume Down Key + the Power Button untill you see the screen with "Warning! blah blah blah"
    3. Now once you see the warning thing that will scare you cause it says it can cause critical problems, ignore it and press the Volume Up Key
    4. After pressing the volume up key, you are now in ODIN MODE. If this is your first time, windows will install drivers for download mode, be patient as it may take sometime.
    Verify that Odin detects your phone
    If Odin detects your phone correctly, the ID:COM section will turn yellow indicating that the phone is connected and Odin can communicate with it.
    com-port.jpg

Select the Firmware File Packages
    Put a check on the PDA, PHONE, and CSC under Files.
    files.jpg

Now browse for the files
    See the screen shots below:
    select-files.jpg

Make sure you have all 3 packages selected.
    files-selected.jpg

Ohhh . . . I have all the packages loaded, what now?
    Once you have all the packages loaded, click on Start to start flashing.
    How long will this take?
    Not too long, about 43-45 seconds for Odin flashing plus 1-2 minutes or even 3 minutes for SGY to boot and load.
    What is Android System Recovery
    Android system recovery is a tool used to flash ZIP files like:
    Updates (.zip)
    Custom ROM
    Custom Kernel
    Themes
    Icon Packs
    MODS and Tweaks (usually scripts that needs to be flashed)
    What are the types of Android System Recovery
    Stock Recovery
    Android's built-in recovery and contains basic function like:
    Reboot System
    Apply update from SD card
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    ClockWorkMod Recovery
    A custom system recovery that contains advanced options:
    Reboots system now
    Wipe data/reset
    Install zip from SD

• choose zip from sdcard
    • apply /system/update
    • toggle signature verification
    • toggle script assert
    Backup and restore

• backup
    • restore
    • advanced restore
    Mounts and storage

• mount or unmount /cache (default is mounted)
    • mount or unmount /data (default is mounted)
    • mount or unmount /system (default is unmounted in Merruk Kernel)
    • format /cache
    • format /data
    • format /sdcard
    • format /system
    • mount USB storage
    Advanced and debugging

• reboot recovery
    • wipe dalvik cache
    • wipe battery stats
    • report error
    • key test
    • show log
    • partition SD card

• 128M
    • 256M
    • 512M
    • 1024M
    • 2048M
    • 4096M
    fix permissions
    CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERIES FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY YOUNG
    Permanent ClockWorkMod Recovery on Maroc-OS's MerrukTechnology Kernel Thread
    Please be warned that this recovery is not yet finished and has some bugs.
    UPDATE:
    Some users say that the /system mount bug is fixed in v2.0 pre final -but still not auto mount in my phone, so be warned and always check if /system is mounted under Storage and Mounts before you do ROM, Kernel or .zip flashing.
    ClockWorkMod Recovery Port on Skin1980's ClockWorkMod Recovery PortingThread
    This is a port of ClockWorkMod Recovery. For more information please do refer to the thread.
    Temporary Recovery by Doky73
    Temporary and needs to be applied as update from sd every time you need to use it.
    Download Temporary Recovery from Doky73's Google Drive or from 4Shared(mirrored)
    ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch by Maroc-OS
    The first CWM Recovery compiled from source + the magic of touch and other fixes :). For more information and download links, please visit Maroc-OS's ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch Compiled from Sources
    4EXT Recovery
    A custom recovery and has touch support but not for SGY. Never ever purchase from play store and complain that you can't use it! :p
    When do we use Android System Recovery
    To do wipe data/factory reset
    do a factory reset, very very handy if you forgot your password/pin/pattern/gmail account/samsung account
    quick fix if you messed up with your phone
    To do wipe cache partition
    clears your cache partition
    To flash Custom ROMS
    to flash .zip ROMS and other flashable ZIPS and Updates
    To flash Custom Kernels (Mai77's Method)
    using mai77's Kernel Flashing Method, you can flash custom kernel without adding bin count
    To calibrate battery by clearing batterystats.bin
    available in CWM (which is a myth that seems to work)
    What is a ROM?
    ROM stands for Read Only Memory which refers to the internal memory of your phone. But hey, that's a different thing. What we're talking about here is the ROM which is a firmware of any version(stock or custom). It is the operating system of your phone.
    What's the difference between a Stock ROM and a Custom ROM?
    Stock ROMS
    These ROMS are ROMS that came with your phone, distributed by Samsung via Kies Update. It comes in different versions and may or may not be available depending on your region.
    Custom ROMS
    These ROMS are developed from stock ROMS. These ROMS contains mods and tweaks that enhances your phone. Though these ROMS have new fucntionalities, some ROMS aren't stable and often, custom ROMS for SGY are tested by users here on XDA as most developers don't have a Samsung Galaxy Young Phone and they rely on user feedbacks.
    Custom ROMS are categorized in two types:
    Brewed ROMS
    made from stock ROMS.
    contains features like stock ROMS + new tweaks and improved performance.
    Ports or Ported ROMS
    Ported community created ROMS
    made entirely from an opensource android OS
    contains features from stock android OS + advanced features developed by community
    most popular ROMS are MIUI, CyanogenMod and some Chinese built ROMS which I don't remember the names :D
    Why Do I need a ROM?
    Because the ROM you have in your phone ain't cool and the ROM we have here in XDA can kick others butt -for sure! :D
    Are there Custom ROMS that are stable?
    Yes there is! and most of them are based on Stock ROMS. Listed below are Custom ROMS that are updated and stable:
    ROM Flashing Methods
    Standard flashing method | Stock Android Recovery | for virgin SGY

1. Turn off your phone
    3. Once you see the Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360, press the the Home Key + the Volume Up Key + the Power Button again until you see Android System Recovery
    4. Once you see Android System Recovery, release the keys. You need to be quick as if you don't release it, it will restart your phone.
    5. Do Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe cache partition. This is optional but is recommended as this is required for most ROMS to install properly.
    6. Now select Apply update from SD Card and browse for the ROM file.
    7. Once installation is finished, restart your phone.
    8. You're Done!
    NOTE:
    Some ROMS take sometime to fully boot and load your device, but this is for first time boot after new ROM installation
    ClockWorkMod Flashing Method:
    For SGY with modified Kernels | ClockWorkMod by MadTeam or Skin1980 | Temporary CWM by Doky73
    The same steps as Standard Flashing Method apply for CWM.
    For Temporary CWM, follow standard flashing method then browse for TempCWM or CWM-Y--doky.zip and CWM start automatically.
    For Maroc-OS's built-in CWM:

1. Turn off your phone
    3. Once you see the Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360, press the the Home Key + the Volume Up Key + the Power Button again. (NOTE: For phones with MerrukTechnology Kernel 2.0 PRE-FINAL, You don't need to press the key combination again, just wait few seconds to load CWM Recovery)
    4. Once you see the Android Logo with Green background, release the keys coz if you don't, your phone will restart. Wait for CWM to show up.
    5. Select Mounts and storage (navigate using volume up or down) and then select (using the home key) mount/system
    6. Browse for the ROM to install
    7. After installation, press the power key to go back and then select reboot system now.
    NOTE:
    If you don't mount /system, ROM will not be applied even though it says successfully installed.​
    What is a Kernel
    The kernel is the main component of Android operating system; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. The kernel's responsibilities include managing the system's resources (the communication between hardware and software components).
    Types of Kernel:
    Stock Kernel
    These Kernels are Kernels that came with your phone, distributed by Samsung via Kies Update. It comes in different versions and may or may not be available depending on your region.
    Custom Kernel
    These Kernels are developed from stock kernels. Most kernels are built to support tweaks and mods and adds new feature as well. Below are some of the interesting features in custom kernels:

• init.d/support for scripts
    • swap support to increase RAM
    • dualboot support
    • and many more...kinda lazy to mention other features. You can always visit the kernel's development page for features ;)
    Where can I find Kernels?
    For Stock Kernels
    You don't need to search for Stock Kernels, It came preloaded with the PDA File package on stock ROMS
    For Custom Kicking Ass Kernels:
    Look no further, below is the list of Kernels available for SGY
    Pre-Alpha and needs testers:

• Moved irfanbagus's DUAL BOOT for SGY to stable list as kurotsugi said "he(irfanbagus) said it's beta stage but actually its already on its final "
    • None as of now :D
    Advanced Kernels and modules - not for noobs to play with! You have been warned::cool:
    Kernels:

Kernel Modules:
    What exactly is a kernel module? Modules are pieces of code that can be loaded and unloaded into the kernel upon demand. They extend the functionality of the kernel without the need to reboot the system. For example, one type of module is the device driver, which allows the kernel to access hardware connected to the system. Without modules, we would have to build monolithic kernels and add new functionality directly into the kernel image. Besides having larger kernels, this has the disadvantage of requiring us to rebuild and reboot the kernel every time we want new functionality.
    KERNEL Flashing Methods:
    Odin Flashing Method

1. Download the Kernel file (it should be .tar file format or other supported formats)
    2. Put your phone in download mode
    3. Open Odin Communicator
    4. On the PDA field, browse for the kernel file you downloaded
    5. Press Start to start flashing the kernel
    6. You're Done!
    mai77's Kernel Flashing Method

1. Download the Kernel file (it should be .tar file format)
    2. Download KernelUpdate.zip by mai77
    3. Download ClockWorkMod (in .zip format and can be any CWM for SGY) and put it to the root of your SD Card
    4. Extract the boot.img to the root of your SD Card.
    5. Turn of your phone and put it to Recovery Mode.
    6. Select apply update from sd card and browse for ClockWorkMod(If you have CWM, skip this step)
    7. Once you are in ClockWorkMod, browse for KernelUpdate.zip. This will automatically look for any boot.img file in your SD Card and flashes it automatically.
    8. After it successfully installed the kernel, press the power button and select reboot system now to restart your phone.
    9. You're done!
    faqbly's Kernel Flashing Method using a Recovery Tool. It is the same method as mai77's Method, but faqbly's tool can automatically backup your old boot.img. For more info visit:
    [edit here to preserve format] -ignore me :D
    Hardware Basics - Under Construction

The Hard part of Samsung Galaxy Young
    Way back May 26th, I started this THREAD, It seems that it is not a success and the only way users can view this thread is by patiently digging the whole section for old threads so I decided to include this on my 2nd edition of SGY for Dummies.
    All you need to know about SGY battery
    Battery Info:
    Standard battery:
    Li-Ion 1200 mAh
    Technology:
    Lithium Ion
    Stand-By:
    Up to 850 h (2G) / Up to 540 h (3G)
    Talk Time:
    Up to 17 h (2G) / Up to 6 h 20 min (3G)
    Li-Ion Battery
    A lithium-ion battery (sometimes Li-ion battery or LIB) is a family of rechargeable battery types in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge, and back when charging. Chemistry, performance, cost, and safety characteristics vary across LIB types. Unlike lithium primary batteries (which are disposable), lithium-ion electrochemical cells use an intercalated lithium compound as the electrode material instead of metallic lithium.
    Battery Cycle
    Battery Cycle Life is defined as the number of complete charge - discharge cycles a battery can perform before its nominal capacity falls below 80% of its initial rated capacity. Key factors affecting cycle life are time t and the number N of charge-discharge cycles completed.
    Battery Life
    Battery Life is the elapsed time before a battery becomes unusable whether it is in active use or inactive. There are two key factors influencing calendar life, namely temperature and time
    How to prolong battery life?
    Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last.
    If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.
    Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Avoiding full charge has benefits, and some manufacturers set the charge threshold lower on purpose to prolong battery life.
    Ideal battery Charge Time
    3.7 V Li-ion Battery

• 120 mins - 65%
    • 135 mins - 76%
    • 150 mins - 82%
    • 165 mins - 87%
    • 180 mins - 100%
    Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

1. A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger so turn off your phone when you are charging the battery.
    2. Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing. Do not charge your phone in your fridge
      biggrin.gif
    3. Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
    4. Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
    5. Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.
    6. Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.
    Battery Calibration
    What is battery calibration?
    Battery calibration is a complete discharge and charge cycle of a battery that helps the batteries charge and discharge performance.
    Any methods of doing that?
    Yes, aside from full charge and discharge, you can delete batterystats.bin which is available on ClockWorkMod recovery under Advanced and Debugging.
    Deleting batterystats.bin, cool! -no it's not!
    Deleting batterystats.bin is a Myth! Read this article from Google+ by one of Android engineers Google+ Article
    Sources:

All you need to know about storage, finding the right sd card and more!
    Secure Digital Card (SD Card)
    Secure Digital (SD) is a non-volatile memory card format developed by the SD Card Association (SDA) for use in portable devices. The SD technology is used by more than 400 brands across dozens of product categories and more than 8,000 models.
    SD comprises several families of cards: the original, Standard-Capacity (SDSC) card, a High-Capacity (SDHC) card family, an eXtended-Capacity (SDXC) card family, and the SDIO family with input/output functions rather than just data storage.
    Types of SD Cards
    Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Young
    Standard SD or SDSC Card (the one came with your phone from Samsung)
    The standard SD card measures 24 mm by 32 mm by 2.1 mm and has a maximum storage capacity up to 2 GB. The compact design makes it ideal for portable storage of photos, songs and video files, replacing the need for bulky tapes and discs
    SDHC
    The Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) format, defined in Version 2.0 of the SD specification, supports cards with capacities up to 32 GB. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility.
    SDHC cards are physically and electrically identical to standard-capacity SD cards (SDSC). The major compatibility issues between SDHC and SDSC cards are the redefinition of the Card-Specific Data (CSD) register in Version 2.0 (see below), and the fact that SDHC cards are shipped preformatted with the FAT32 file system.
    NOT Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Young
    SDXC
    The Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) format supports cards up to 2 TB (2048 GB), compared to a limit of 32 GB for SDHC cards in the SD 2.0 specification.
    SDIO
    A SDIO (Secure Digital Input Output) card is an extension of the SD specification to cover I/O functions. Host devices that support SDIO (typically PDAs like the Palm Treo, but occasionally laptops or mobile phones) can use the SD slot to support GPS receivers, modems, barcode readers, FM radio tuners, TV tuners, RFID readers, digital cameras, and interfaces to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and IrDA. Many other SDIO devices have been proposed, but it is now more common for I/O devices to connect using the USB interface.
    SDIO cards support most of the memory commands of SD cards. SDIO cards can be structured as 8 logical cards, although currently, the typical way that an SDIO card uses this capability is to structure itself as one I/O card and one memory card.
    SD Card Classes
    What is the SD Speed Class?
    The SD Association has established standards that rate the minimum data transfer in SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDHC UHS-I and SDXC UHS-I memory cards and devices. The speed rates were established based on the needs of movie and video companies because video recording requires certain writing speeds when recording the data onto a memory card. The SD Speed Class and UHS Speed Class standardized the specification for both memory cards and devices in order to guarantee minimum writing speeds and deliver the best performance.
    Speed Class Rating
    The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD cards. The class number guarantees a minimum write speed as a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s). The SDA defines several speed class ratings, but manufacturers may claim conformance to those ratings without independent verification.
    These are the ratings of all currently available cards:
    Class 2 - 2 MB/s
    Class 4 - 4 MB/s
    Class 6 - 6 MB/s
    Class 10 - 10 MB/s
    What are the applications for Speed Class?

• Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
    • Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting
    • Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera
    • Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting
    SD Card Partitioning
    What is SD partitioning?
    SD Partitioning is the act of dividing a SD Card into multiple logical storage units referred to as partitions, to treat one physical disk drive as if it were multiple disks. Partitions are also termed "slices" for operating systems based on BSD, Solaris or GNU Hurd. A partition editor software program can be used to create, resize, delete, and manipulate these partitions on the hard disk.
    SD Card Partitioning Guide - XDA Wiki

• SD Card Partitioning from XDA Wiki - Read HERE
    Shrinking/Extending SD Card partitions
    -will create a guide soon
    smile.gif

Tools You need to create partitions:
    Linux Distros:

Windows:

• MiniTool Partition Wizard - Homepage - Download the Home Edition
    Sources:

BONUS: Random Fixes and Workarounds

Random Fixes and Workarounds
    This section will include other fixes and workarounds for common issues like rom flashing, tweaking etc,etc. You can simply ignore this portion as some of these are included in supports threads for ROMS, Kernels, etc etc. This section is not categorized -sorry if it's kinda mess :D
    HCFroyd247's ChobitsDigitalis V1.8 ROM + Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8 Final

This is a fix for the following issues in installing Chobits ROM + Custom Kernel with the following issues:
    1. Installation finished but SGY still have stock rom
    2. Temporary CWM won't load on top of MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8's CWM Recovery
    3. Installation aborted (status 7)
    Workaround:
    1. Flash Stock Firmware found on Doky73's [Stock][ROM][Odin] Galaxy Y S5360 flashable firmware packages's thread using Odin.
    2. Flash Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V.1.0.8 Final using Odin. Flash the file on the PDA field.
    3. Reboot to Recovery and go to Storage and Mounts > mount /system. Select mount /system by pressing the home key and then press the power key to go back.
    4. Select Wipe Data / Factory Reset and Wipe Cache partition. After doing that, press the power key again to go back
    5. Select install zip from sd > choose zip from sdcard then browse for ChobitsDigitals v1 ROM
    6. After Installation, press the power key to go back and then select reboot system now
    7. After that, reboot back to recovery and do steps 3 and 5 but this time you need to browse for the v1.8 update. Restart afterwards :D
    NOTE:
    If you want to update to Maroc-OS's [CUSTOM][KERNEL] MerrukTechnology Kernel V 2.0 Pre-Final,flash it using Odin on PDA field. You don't need to copy system folder if you are upgrading from 1.0.8

In this section . . .
    Have you ever wanted to take your device to a higher level of customization but don't know which MODs or Tweaks are effective in boosting the performance your device yet safe to play with? If your answer is Yes, then this section is for you!

Without further ado, here they are . . .
    Topics in this section:

1. Part 1: Guide to Tweaks, Mods and More
    2. Part 2: Useful How To's that'll aid you in Tweaking/Modding your device
    UPDATES:
    07-12-2012

• Added kurotsugi's AKURO-DATA2SD - New Method to Increase Internal Memory
    07-08-2012

• Minor revision: Updated format and links
    04-19-2012

• Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition Guide Added
    04-15-2012

• V6 Supercharger - Lag, Redraw & RAM Fixer! GT-S5360 Configuration + KickAssKernelizer Guide Added
    • Link2SD for Dummies - Increase Internal Memory Free Space Guide Added
    Part 1: Guide to Tweaks, Mods and More
    Akuro-Data2SD
    Yet another internal memory saving tweak for all of us.
    Increase RAM using Swap File and Swap Partition Guide
    Finally! Swap for Samsung Galaxy Young -now you can play GTA on your phone and other HD games that requires more RAM
    V6 Supercharger - Lag, Redraw & RAM Fixer! GT-S5360 Configuration + KickAssKernelizer Guide
    This is a guide I made to help others configure V6 SuperCharger and make sure your phone gets 100% super charged. Full installation and setup guide link:
    Link2SD for Dummies - Increase Internal Memory Free Space
    This guide covers everything you need to know about Link2SD. Full installation and setup guide link:
    Part 2: Useful How To's that'll aid you in Tweaking/Modding your device
    How to ADB the easy way
    What is ADB?
    The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a tool kit for Android developers, available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Found as part of the Android SDK Platform-tools package, it consists of both client and server-side programs that communicate with one another. The ADB is typically accessed through the command-line interface.
    How to Install and launch ADB

1. Download SDK_tools.zip from HERE
    2. Extract SDK_tools to the root of your C drive and you should have:
    3. Now after extracting the files, we need to open the Command Promt
      How to open command promt
      Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories
      Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
      A black window will appear, that's the Command Prompt
      The other way . . .
      Press the Windows Key (the key with windows logo) and the letter R all together
      Run box will open and we need to type the word cmd
      Click OK and a black window will open, that's the Command Promt
    4. Now that we have the command promt open, we need to change command promt's directory to C:\SDK_tools. To do that, we need to type the code below then press enter
    5. Now that we changed the directory open,we need to launch ADB. To do that, we need to type the code below then press enter
    6. Now you are in Android Debug Bridge Mode and go play with it :D
    How To Change CSC
    This works with firmwares with multiple CSC (Multi-CSC) only.
    What is the use of changing CSC?
    Changing CSC to specific region will allow you to get updates (via KIES or OTA) available only to that particular region. It will also allow you to change the branding (default walls/sound alerts/homepage/carrier specific apps/etc) of your phone to any network for your region
    WARNING: Changing CSC will factory reset your phone! DO a backup before you proceed.
    To change your CSC

1. Navigate to your phone's dialer and type *#272*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your 15-digit IMEI number. (to get IMEI, type *#06# on your dialer)
    2. Select the CSC code for your region or any region you want. For CSC reference, please do visit manniakk's Multi-CSC Reference on tis LINK
    3. Tap on Install and viola! Time to re-setup your phone. Good luck. :D