WARNING: Android 4.4 KitKat on Nexus 7 (2012) 3G disables sms.

Search This thread

bengtan

Mar 20, 2013
Perth
[EDIT: Linked thread from Nexus 7 (2013) forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2531897]

Hi,

I'm the developer of 8sms.

It seems that sms no longer works on the Nexus 7 3G if you upgrade to Android 4.4.

In the past, some people have been able to use sms on their tablets by downloading and installing a third party sms app (such as 8sms). Even though there is no stock messaging app with the ROM (and AFAIK, this is not an official feature), this has generally worked.

However, Android 4.4 KitKat on the Nexus 7 3G takes away this feature.

In Android 4.4, a messaging app must be set as the "default sms app" so it can be allowed to save new messages to the phone's message database. In other words, a messaging app must be the default sms app in order to operate fully.

In the Nexus 5 (and Android emulators), there is a setting Settings » ... » Wireless » Default sms app which allows you to choose your default sms app.

In the Nexus 7 3G, this setting DOES NOT EXIST.

(This is according to what one user of 8sms has told me. )

It seems that the "default sms app" is not supported on the Nexus 7. In other words, you cannot set an app to be the default sms app. That means it is not possible to use an sms app.

Can some other readers confirm this?

If confirmed, this is a LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY.

Last edited:

mobile88

Dec 24, 2004
Huawei Mate 20 X
You are right. Sms does not work at all on kitkat on my N7 LTE
Even hangout does not have SMS feature

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Agreed, I was the one to originally alert this OP to the issue. Incoming SMS triggers a notification in the tray that leads only to a pop-up dialogue. After dismissing it, the OS does not save the incoming SMS anywhere and installed clients cannot see it.

mm31121984

Nov 18, 2013
Same with my nexus 7 LTE. I have tried different sms apps but the outcome is the same with android 4.4 (everything was fine with 4.3.1) :(
Anyone has a working solution for this ?

xateeq

Oct 19, 2010
i have wifi nexus 7 2012 so cant any thing for sure but i think google changed sms in 4.4 sms are integrated with hangouts so download go sms (i think they have updated their app for 4.4) and report back.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Right, the issue is that the OS builds for Nexus 7 are barring SMS apps from participating in Kitkat's usual way of doing SMS, and there's no default app to rely on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dadam30

Sep 7, 2013
It is such a shame... I have not upgraded yet. I use 8sms. I hope there is a way to enable it.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

hlaalu

Nov 24, 2007
What a mess. Google needs to take a step back and stop trying to force us to use hangouts.

Right, the issue is that the OS builds for Nexus 7 are barring SMS apps from participating in Kitkat's usual way of doing SMS, and there's no default app to rely on.

I haven't updated my N7 to 4.4 yet so this may just be a false hope, but has anybody tried something like the following yet? (root is required)

1. Use TitaniumBackup or other tool to freeze the Simple Message Reciever app, (if 4.4 still has it. It may be called something else now.) This is what shows the message dialog for incoming texts.

2. Install 8sms and set it to run in standalone mode.

If that doesn't work then I would try injecting the MMS.apk from one of the ROMs based on 4.4 AOSP and see if it will take on the role of default SMS/MMS handler.

Last edited:

DerDoktore

Jan 19, 2009
Huawei Mate 20 Lite
I haven't updated my N7 to 4.4 yet so this may just be a false hope, but has anybody tried something like the following yet? (root is required)

1. Use TitaniumBackup or other tool to freeze the Simple Message Reciever app, (if 4.4 still has it. It may be called something else now.) This is what shows the message dialog for incoming texts.

2. Install 8sms and set it to run in standalone mode.

If that doesn't work then I would try injecting the MMS.apk from one of the ROMs based on 4.4 AOSP and see if it will take on the role of default SMS/MMS handler.

...doesn´t work, either :(

bengtan

Mar 20, 2013
Perth
I wonder if, like the missing tethering feature, it can be restored by unhiding the SMS select menu via a modification of the framework apk?

I think this is an avenue worth pursuing.

I don't think Google intentionally disabled sms on the Nexus 7. To me, it seems more like their build scripts doesn't list sms as a feature, and this was just a side-effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have a cellular Nexus 7 so I'm very limited in what I can contribute to this discussion.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I think this is an avenue worth pursuing.

I don't think Google intentionally disabled sms on the Nexus 7. To me, it seems more like their build scripts doesn't list sms as a feature, and this was just a side-effect.

Unfortunately, I don't have a cellular Nexus 7 so I'm very limited in what I can contribute to this discussion.

And I do have one but I have no developer type experience.

Have you posted a thread about this on the N7 2013 forum? That might attract more attention too.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
So this might be a stupid question, but this has nothing to do with MightyText right? In other words, MightyText should still work since it's not the tablet receiving the sms but the phone right?

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
So this might be a stupid question, but this has nothing to do with MightyText right? In other words, MightyText should still work since it's not the tablet receiving the sms but the phone right?

Right, MightyText for tablets is just an interface with a phone and does not use the tablet's phone number.

@OP, From where you got Kitkat update for Nexus 7 3G. As i haven't received OTA yet also [REF] Nexus 7 Stock OTA URLs doesn't list Kitkat build for 3G version.
Also does this update disables 3rd party SMS for N7 2012 version only or is applicable to current generation N7 as well?

Google has posted stock factory images for KitKat on Nexus 4, 7 (2012 and 2013) and 10. These can be flashed in fastboot, and there are also flashable zips on the forum based on these factory images. Others on this thread have reported loss of SMS on the 2013 version as well.

rutu3

Oct 27, 2008
Mumbai
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google has posted stock factory images for KitKat on Nexus 4, 7 (2012 and 2013) and 10. These can be flashed in fastboot, and there are also flashable zips on the forum based on these factory images. Others on this thread have reported loss of SMS on the 2013 version as well.

So that means Google has intentionally added code to block us from using third party SMS apps.

So we can start petition to get messaging working on nexus 7 or wait for developers to find some workaround to send / receive sms.

I believe in 2nd option more;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [EDIT: Linked thread from Nexus 7 (2013) forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2531897]

Hi,

I'm the developer of 8sms.

It seems that sms no longer works on the Nexus 7 3G if you upgrade to Android 4.4.

In the past, some people have been able to use sms on their tablets by downloading and installing a third party sms app (such as 8sms). Even though there is no stock messaging app with the ROM (and AFAIK, this is not an official feature), this has generally worked.

However, Android 4.4 KitKat on the Nexus 7 3G takes away this feature.

In Android 4.4, a messaging app must be set as the "default sms app" so it can be allowed to save new messages to the phone's message database. In other words, a messaging app must be the default sms app in order to operate fully.

In the Nexus 5 (and Android emulators), there is a setting Settings » ... » Wireless » Default sms app which allows you to choose your default sms app.

In the Nexus 7 3G, this setting DOES NOT EXIST.

(This is according to what one user of 8sms has told me. )

It seems that the "default sms app" is not supported on the Nexus 7. In other words, you cannot set an app to be the default sms app. That means it is not possible to use an sms app.

Can some other readers confirm this?

If confirmed, this is a LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY.
    Hey guys, I've modified the KRT16S 4.4 image for Nexus 7 3G (2012) to enable SMS. They will work in Hangouts as per the Nexus 5 although you can change this in settings.

[MOD][4.4][KRT16S] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Enjoy!
    Hey Guy, would your mod work on a 2013 LTE Nexus 7...? Please advise as I'm looking for a solution to this issue for the DEB devices.. Thanks. Please advise.. I guess we would only need the SMS settings exposed as our tethering options are already exposed.

Sent from another Nexus..
    7 LTE...

I'm just recompiling for 2013 variant, will get it tested later and hopefully posted in the N7 2013 forum :)
    There is no need to post up any more "I found an app that can send sms" posts.

Hi everyone,

In Android KitKat, any app can send sms. However, only the default sms app can receive sms, send mms, and receive mms.

Reference: http://android-developers.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/getting-your-sms-apps-ready-for-kitkat.html

Please, there is no need to post up any more "I found an app that can send sms" posts.

Thank you.