10 steps to get rooted Android 2.3.4 I897UCKH3

Search This thread

december30

Apr 28, 2011
Kent
After I flashed or upgraded to the leak Android 2.3.4 from this guy http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232703 I tried to root my phone and I found one suggestion that calls Fugu Root, but it doesn't work for me. And then I try to figure out other way to do, And I have to thank you this guy to give me a kernel StocKH3 Kernel with Clockwork Recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242533) while I was looking for StockH3 kernel. And now are you ready to take a risk with me? If so, here we go....

1. open your Captivate phone that's running the leak Android 2.3.4 I897UCKH3, and go to android market then download superuser and install it on your phone, make sure that you have done this step.
2. Go to download StocKH3 kernel with Clockwork Recovery from this guy or download here to make sure you have the right one.
3. Do you have Odin3 1.81? if not, download here if you already have then skip this step
4. once you downloaded everything and installed superuser, go to download su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip for gingerbread and here a link
5. Now turn off your phone and open odin3 1.81 as administrator, then connect your phone into usb cable while you'are connecting press the volume up and down together to get into download mode (you can do another way to get into download mode it doesn't matter).
6. make sure that your phone connected to computer, you will see the yellow on the box, when you connected.
7. now put put the boog_kh3_kernel3.tar into the PDA section, then click on Start button and wait until you finished and your phone will reboot.
8. go to upload file u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip into your micro SDCard, or your internal storage. then reboot into recovery mode, the best way to do this is "adb reboot recovery" you will see Clockwork Recovery mode
9. Now, Go to select Install zip from sdcard >> toggle signature verification >>> Choose zip from sdcard.
10. then go to select one the one you've uploaded on your sdcard or wherever you uploaded to (u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip). then select yes to install it.

after you finished install u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip from the recovery mode, reboot your phone and you are now rooted.

have a good luck, it worked as well. sorry about my english also.

Last edited:

mabovalu

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks.

I cannot get Odin to 'recognize', no COM port displayed, my phone, which is in download mode; steps 5 & 6.

I can get Odin, and 'adb devices' to 'see' my phone when turned on, but not in DL mode.

december30

Apr 28, 2011
Kent
Thanks.

I cannot get Odin to 'recognize', no COM port displayed, my phone, which is in download mode; steps 5 & 6.

I can get Odin, and 'adb devices' to 'see' my phone when turned on, but not in DL mode.

Does your computer have a driver of your phone? Have you done anything about Odin before, you can try another version of odin, it might work. But I don't know why you computer doesn't recognize your phone. If you never done anything about odin, I would suggest you to download Kies which is the updater firmware management for your phone, then you will have driver after you install this software.

Last edited:

mabovalu

Dec 11, 2010
Does your computer have a driver of your phone? Have you done anything about Odin before, you can try another version of odin, it might work. But I don't know why you computer doesn't recognize your phone. If you never done anything about odin, I would suggest you to download Kies which is the updater firmware management for your phone, then you will have driver after you install this software.

Yes, I have used Odin many times. ODIN and ADB 'see' (yellow COM port, adb devices = attached device) my phone when it is in normal mode, but as soon as I enter download mode (jig, 2-button) it loses the connection.

I suspect I am missing something, like maybe bootloaders, but not really sure.

I used UCKH3 Heimdall-One-Click [beta] to recover my semi-stoned phone. It (I897UCKH3/2.3.4) works pretty well: voice, SMS, 3G (DL is great: ~ 5 Mbps, UL just OK, previously ~ 2 Mbps, now ~ 500 Kbps, so maybe not the best modem for my provider?), but still un-rooted.

Last edited:

nyydynasty

Sep 15, 2010
sounds too simple to be a solution but have you restarted your computer? I've had some odin issues like that and a simple reboot fixes the problem. The other fix that I've personally seen is to change your USB port. If you're connected in the front of the PC, move it to the back and see if that helps.

Reactions: mabovalu

december30

Apr 28, 2011
Kent
Yes, I have used Odin many times. ODIN and ADB 'see' (yellow COM port, adb devices = attached device) my phone when it is in normal mode, but as soon as I enter download mode (jig, 2-button) it loses the connection.

I used UCKH3 Heimdall-One-Click [beta] to recover my semi-stoned phone. It (I897UCKH3/2.3.4) works pretty well: voice, SMS, 3G (DL is great: ~ 5 Mbps, UL just OK, previously ~ 2 Mbps, now ~ 500 Kbps, so maybe not the best modem for my provider?), but still un-rooted.

I used this method ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232703 ) to upgrade to the leak I897UCKH3. I don't think that is the problem about boot loader

gibson3659

Dec 8, 2010
I think the standard drivers from Samsung that are used for Odin and the Heimdall drivers conflict. Try removing the Heimdall drivers if you want to use Odin.

mabovalu

Dec 11, 2010
Thank you december30, nyydynasty, gibson3659, prbassplayer .

I am rooted.

I de-installed the Heimdall Drivers per the directions (below), re-booted, de-installed the Samsung USB Drivers, re-booted, re-installed the Samsung usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64 (different drivers than I had used previously), re-booted.

Then I could 'see' my Captivate, when in Download Mode, with both ADB and ODIN.

I guess my next question is, which ROM should I use? (I only ended up with this 'stock' ROM as a result of trying to recover my phone from a persistent soft-brick situation.)

I found these Heimdall Driver un-install instructions:

Driver Uninstallation Instructions:

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S into download mode by holding Volume Down + Home + Power.

2. Plug your phone into your PC.

3. Open up Device Manager on your PC (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager).

4. Under "Libusb (WinUSB) devices" right click on "Samsung USB Composite Device" and chose Properties.

5. Go to the Driver tab and select Update Driver.

6. Chose to browse your computer for the driver.

7. Chose to pick from a list of devices drivers on your computer.

8. Pick the original Samsung Composite driver, press next and then follow the prompts.

9. Done

mabovalu

Dec 11, 2010
Well did you press thanks button yet. By the way congratulate on this point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Yes during my Thanks post above, the THANKS buttons no longer appear, but I did miss gibson3659 originally and corrected that oversight. Also rated the thread 5 stars.

Thanks again.

Any recommendations on a ROM?

december30

Apr 28, 2011
Kent
In my opinion i would stuck in this rom. Until the official one cone out.

vsboxerboy1

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks.

Sounds stupid, but this happens to me when I plug my phone into the front USB ports on my PC. Plugging it into the back (directly to the pc) works.

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
OnePlus 6
Thanks for this...I am on (now rooted!) stock kh3 and find I prefer this method rather than the whole kernel swap! I will be sure to hit the THANKS button when I can get to a pc!

december30

Apr 28, 2011
Kent
It was easy right? You can do like this with other devices just change kernel or recovery mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After I flashed or upgraded to the leak Android 2.3.4 from this guy http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232703 I tried to root my phone and I found one suggestion that calls Fugu Root, but it doesn't work for me. And then I try to figure out other way to do, And I have to thank you this guy to give me a kernel StocKH3 Kernel with Clockwork Recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242533) while I was looking for StockH3 kernel. And now are you ready to take a risk with me? If so, here we go....

1. open your Captivate phone that's running the leak Android 2.3.4 I897UCKH3, and go to android market then download superuser and install it on your phone, make sure that you have done this step.
    2. Go to download StocKH3 kernel with Clockwork Recovery from this guy or download here to make sure you have the right one.
    3. Do you have Odin3 1.81? if not, download here if you already have then skip this step
    4. once you downloaded everything and installed superuser, go to download su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip for gingerbread and here a link
    5. Now turn off your phone and open odin3 1.81 as administrator, then connect your phone into usb cable while you'are connecting press the volume up and down together to get into download mode (you can do another way to get into download mode it doesn't matter).
    6. make sure that your phone connected to computer, you will see the yellow on the box, when you connected.
    7. now put put the boog_kh3_kernel3.tar into the PDA section, then click on Start button and wait until you finished and your phone will reboot.
    8. go to upload file u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip into your micro SDCard, or your internal storage. then reboot into recovery mode, the best way to do this is "adb reboot recovery" you will see Clockwork Recovery mode
    9. Now, Go to select Install zip from sdcard >> toggle signature verification >>> Choose zip from sdcard.
    10. then go to select one the one you've uploaded on your sdcard or wherever you uploaded to (u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip). then select yes to install it.

after you finished install u-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip from the recovery mode, reboot your phone and you are now rooted.

have a good luck, it worked as well. sorry about my english also.
    sounds too simple to be a solution but have you restarted your computer? I've had some odin issues like that and a simple reboot fixes the problem. The other fix that I've personally seen is to change your USB port. If you're connected in the front of the PC, move it to the back and see if that helps.

I used this method ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232703 ) to upgrade to the leak I897UCKH3. I don't think that is the problem about boot loader
    I think the standard drivers from Samsung that are used for Odin and the Heimdall drivers conflict. Try removing the Heimdall drivers if you want to use Odin.

^ What he said. If you are on windows Heimdall drivers will conflict with Odin