just got my Claro XT1058 moto-x

Search This thread

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
So this is a puerto rico model "ROW" xt1058. got it on ebay for $540 or so (some sellers shipping out of puerto rico have it for ~$500 for white ones, oddly the black ones cost more... and i wanted one shipped from a seller in the 48 states), shipped from some seller in illinois who probably bought a pile of them in puerto rico.

This same unit that negri sells.. http://negrielectronics.com/motorola-moto-x-16gb-claro-unlocked-black.html

Anyway, here is what I have to say about it.

I booted it up, and it started in english (i've heard if you get a latin america unit from other countries you have to change to spanish).

Its just like any american unit except made in china. Also I had a XT1053 t-mobile edition that i returned. Mine had a very minor scrape on the bottom back edge, and 2 little plastic defects on the LCD trim (like the one ifixit had on their unit). This chinese unit has none of that.

It also came unlocked, has no carrier branding anywhere or carrier apps. seems to be working ok so far on 4G. Also another nice thing it came with a mic / headset which the american ones don't come with. One other difference, the default background is the phasebeam not that american flag motif.

I suppose that is to make up for the labor costs who knows. So given the sellers on ebay don't charge tax, its about a $100 savings... haven't tried to unlock the bootloader yet but it is on the list, so should be no problem. if you are on at&t and want to save $100 over the xt1053 well this is an option.

also another difference i just noticed which is i guess of the marketing driven lies only in the US.

if you are on LTE on the claro phones it says "4G" in the status bar. if you are on HSPA or HSPA+ it says either H or H+. nice and non confusing.

on my t-mobile unit, it ALWAYS said 4G. with a tiny LTE on it if it was 4G LTE.

Last edited:

kocua

Sep 27, 2011
thanks for the review, I too was thinking about buying from ebay. let us know how you get on with unlocking the bootleader :good:

edit: btw did you receive the camera update yet?

Last edited:

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
If you get a moment, would you mind checking if Tap and Pay is available in Google Wallet, please?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
thanks for the review, I too was thinking about buying from ebay. let us know how you get on with unlocking the bootleader :good:

nope no camera update yet. i hit update and nothing. i'm gonna guess the updates would be a little earlier than at&t hopefully.

johnny grep

Sep 8, 2013
if you are on LTE on the claro phones it says "4G" in the status bar. if you are on HSPA or HSPA+ it says either H or H+. nice and non confusing.

Odd. Shouldn't stock Android phones say H, H+ or LTE instead of 4G? That's what mine does. RCI (Canadian) XT1058.

Sent from my Moto X

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
Odd. Shouldn't stock Android phones say H, H+ or LTE instead of 4G? That's what mine does. RCI (Canadian) XT1058.

Sent from my Moto X

when i unlocked my razr m XT907 it was H+. but american carriers started marketing HSPA+ as 4G when verizon got LTE out here. so now its "accepted" than HSPA+ is "4G" in the US. like the iphone 4S people think is 4G here when it has no LTE. its not H+ on those phones either.

magiconthetire

Mar 16, 2010
Youngstown, OH
FYI anyone looking to buy a Claro Moto X, have no fear ordering a unit form Puerto Rico. Its a US territory, and shipping is done via USPS (unless its shipped fedex/usps). It will literally take only an extra day to get to you via Priority Mail. Usually like ordering something coming from HI or Alaska. Sometimes you even get it in the 2-3 day priority time frame.

Reactions: yadspi

mandy1

May 6, 2013
herwkty mary

i got same moto x on claro P.R on the contract renewal for $200. only problem i have is google now doesnt work.the turn on swith on google menu/settings doesnt appear.i know where is supposed to be ,i have turn it on in the s4.can you check this for me on your phone how it goes.

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
Don't know what to say. My Google now runs fine. Set it up in the touchless control menu. Turn on touchless control. Maybe default is different on the american one

M

mentose457

i got same moto x on claro P.R on the contract renewal for $200. only problem i have is google now doesnt work.the turn on swith on google menu/settings doesnt appear.i know where is supposed to be ,i have turn it on in the s4.can you check this for me on your phone how it goes.

Clear data and cache of the Google Search app.

Go to Settings > Apps - Swype over to All - Scroll down to Google Search and select it. Tap the buttons to for clearing data and cache.

ITMASTER

Jan 30, 2008
Yerevan
I got mine again XT1058 but didn't tried yet with sim cards overseas can you confrim that is also working outside of US?

dwd3885

May 20, 2010
do the Claro/eBay unbranded Moto X's have LTE on AT&T? So essentially this is like buying a cheap dev unit?

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
that would be a no at least there is no setting to turn it on in "my wallet". i'm guessing its carrier specific, and t-mobile isn't having it.

If you open Wallet, go to Settings > About then look under Tap and Pay. Does it say "Not available"? If so, that's concerning.. I'm losing hope that the DE model will support it. :(

magn2o

Nov 30, 2011
Yah it says not available. I'm sure its carrier Dependant more than phone Dependant

Drats. No, it's definitely hardware dependent. For example, a GT-I9300 can use Wallet just fine on AT&T while the SGH-I747 cannot. Wallet was the only reason I was considering trading my current Moto X in for a DE version. Guess once the GSM DE guys get their phones tomorrow, we'll know for sure.

Thanks for checking!

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010

just checked and requested my unlock code (so yes i just voided the warranty that i probably couldn't claim anyway since i dont live in the region this phone is normally for) and unlocked it.

anyway, i guess now i can try putting that camera update on here.

Last edited:

chrisjenho

Sep 5, 2010
just checked and requested my unlock code (so yes i just voided the warranty that i probably couldn't claim anyway since i dont live in the region this phone is normally for) and unlocked it.

anyway, i guess now i can try putting that camera update on here.

hello, I got the same phone with you.
Can you tell me how to unlock my phone and get it rooted?
Someone said he also flashed t-mobile rom on it, do you have any clue?(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2454975)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So this is a puerto rico model "ROW" xt1058. got it on ebay for $540 or so (some sellers shipping out of puerto rico have it for ~$500 for white ones, oddly the black ones cost more... and i wanted one shipped from a seller in the 48 states), shipped from some seller in illinois who probably bought a pile of them in puerto rico.

This same unit that negri sells.. http://negrielectronics.com/motorola-moto-x-16gb-claro-unlocked-black.html

Anyway, here is what I have to say about it.

I booted it up, and it started in english (i've heard if you get a latin america unit from other countries you have to change to spanish).

Its just like any american unit except made in china. Also I had a XT1053 t-mobile edition that i returned. Mine had a very minor scrape on the bottom back edge, and 2 little plastic defects on the LCD trim (like the one ifixit had on their unit). This chinese unit has none of that.

It also came unlocked, has no carrier branding anywhere or carrier apps. seems to be working ok so far on 4G. Also another nice thing it came with a mic / headset which the american ones don't come with. One other difference, the default background is the phasebeam not that american flag motif.

I suppose that is to make up for the labor costs who knows. So given the sellers on ebay don't charge tax, its about a $100 savings... haven't tried to unlock the bootloader yet but it is on the list, so should be no problem. if you are on at&t and want to save $100 over the xt1053 well this is an option.

also another difference i just noticed which is i guess of the marketing driven lies only in the US.

FYI anyone looking to buy a Claro Moto X, have no fear ordering a unit form Puerto Rico. Its a US territory, and shipping is done via USPS (unless its shipped fedex/usps). It will literally take only an extra day to get to you via Priority Mail. Usually like ordering something coming from HI or Alaska. Sometimes you even get it in the 2-3 day priority time frame.