Internet Sharing & Visual voicemail?

Search This thread

AngelSpirit

Oct 16, 2007
Montreal
Any of you guys managed to see the Internet Sharing option in the settings, using the Rogers Focus on Fido, or in a similar situation?

And what about visual voice mail?

PaullikesWINMO

Nov 14, 2010
Toronto
Any of you guys managed to see the Internet Sharing option in the settings, using the Rogers Focus on Fido, or in a similar situation?

And what about visual voice mail?

Internet Sharing is only available on the newer handsets. Unless you are really savvy you can follow the hack posted in XDA, otherwise Internet Sharing (WiFi Hotspot) is not on the menu.

As for Visual voicemail, I dont have VM from Fido so can't say if it works. I have conditional call forwarding set up to go to another number where voicemail is free (freephoneline.ca) and they also email me a copy of the voicemail. :D

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
you can get internet sharing to work if you are unlocked, VVM requries att (or whomever your provider is) to make their backend compatible, which att has stated it is in the process of doing, so i'd expect it to work by the time the new handsets come out.

i wonder how long before att starts to crack down on wp7 users tethering without paying though.

PaullikesWINMO

Nov 14, 2010
Toronto
Hmmm... maybe AT&T Mango update has WiFi Hotspot for older handsets? Maybe I'll reflash phone to AT&T rom and then go to Mango. :confused::eek:

I can confirm there is no menu for WiFi hotspot on Rogers Samsung Focus. At least for my handset.

ramrandhawa

Jul 23, 2008
If you're willing to do a little legwork, you can get the WiFi Hotspot working for Rogers Canada under Mango. The basic steps are this:

1) you need a developer unlocked (or Chevron I guess) phone so that you can deploy XAP files to the phone
2) you need to INTEROP unlock your phone -- the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963 work, except that you may notice a few discrepancies -- your Diagnosis App version may be 0628, and you may find that even after using the Diagnosis app to enable autoconfigure, you don't have 3G connectivity; you will after to enter the APN info manually under the cellular settings (APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn, USERNAME: wapuser, PASSWORD: wap)

3) once you have a fully unlocked phone, you deploy DiagProvXML v0.91 and use it to activate the internet sharing -- details are in the Windows Phone Development and Hacking thread, and you can see a video of it here:

http://windowsphonehacker.com/artic...ring_on_samsung_mango_windows_phones-09-29-11

it seems to work . . .

PaullikesWINMO

Nov 14, 2010
Toronto
If you're willing to do a little legwork, you can get the WiFi Hotspot working for Rogers Canada under Mango. The basic steps are this:

1) you need a developer unlocked (or Chevron I guess) phone so that you can deploy XAP files to the phone
2) you need to INTEROP unlock your phone -- the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963 work, except that you may notice a few discrepancies -- your Diagnosis App version may be 0628, and you may find that even after using the Diagnosis app to enable autoconfigure, you don't have 3G connectivity; you will after to enter the APN info manually under the cellular settings (APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn, USERNAME: wapuser, PASSWORD: wap)

3) once you have a fully unlocked phone, you deploy DiagProvXML v0.91 and use it to activate the internet sharing -- details are in the Windows Phone Development and Hacking thread, and you can see a video of it here:

http://windowsphonehacker.com/artic...ring_on_samsung_mango_windows_phones-09-29-11

it seems to work . . .

Hmmm... yes.. nice article. Already had the Samsung Tools from And as far as I know I still have the Microsoft Deployment Software for Windows Phone. Just need to go get the DiagProvXML downloaded. Will give this a shot right now.

Now if I could only get MMS and Texting to work. I'm on Fido and it's been a challenge let me tell you !

Thanks!
PS: APN settings for Fido would be fido-core-appl1.apn

Edit: I guess I lost my Chevron in the Mango update and do not have a developer unlock. The Application Deployment fails and says I need a Dev unlocked device. Sigh.....

Last edited:

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Hmmm... yes.. nice article. Already had the Samsung Tools from And as far as I know I still have the Microsoft Deployment Software for Windows Phone. Just need to go get the DiagProvXML downloaded. Will give this a shot right now.

Now if I could only get MMS and Texting to work. I'm on Fido and it's been a challenge let me tell you !

Thanks!
PS: APN settings for Fido would be fido-core-appl1.apn

Edit: I guess I lost my Chevron in the Mango update and do not have a developer unlock. The Application Deployment fails and says I need a Dev unlocked device. Sigh.....

if you still have the provxml file on your phone, you can still unlock in the same manner, if you wiped before going to mango, then yea, you're SOL.