Galaxy Tab review in the making. Need suggestions!

Search This thread

Halulz

Jul 1, 2010
Hello XDA!

I managed to get my hands on a Galaxy Tab to review. I'm an avid android user and I know what I would want from a device like this. Thing is, I want to know what YOU, dear XDA members, would like to know about the device!

Kindly leave me questions that you wish to be answered in the video review of the Galaxy Tab.

The sooner I get the questions the sooner I'll be able to post up a video.

Note: Kindly note that I cannot root the device nor change the flash version of android that runs on the device.

Firmware version: P1000XXJH1

Specs of the device as per Quadrant Advanced:
Quadrant score: 1,000
CPU: 1437
MEM: 1684
I/O: 791
2D: 201
3D: 886

Linpack score: 13.877

Total memory available: 435MB of which 174 is used on fresh boot.

System information(via Quadrant Advanced).
htt p://img215.imageshack.us/i/20101005100755.jpg/
htt p://img59.imageshack.us/i/20101005100927.jpg
htt p://img697.imageshack.us/i/20101005100848.jpg
htt p://img411.imageshack.us/i/20101005100911.jpg
htt p://img34.imageshack.us/i/20101005100927.jpg

(Apologies for the low quality photos)

vitalij

Jun 14, 2010
Kaunas
It would be nice if you describe display quality - viewing angles, panel type (is it IPS) how it performs in sunlight. Is minimum brightness good for reading in dark conditions? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

It would be nice if you describe display quality - viewing angles, panel type (is it IPS) how it performs in sunlight. Is minimum brightness good for reading in dark conditions? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Viewing angles are a subjective issue, personally when i pick up my mobile device and look into it, it's always straight in front of me, so that's all i want, but if you have a viewing angle of over 45 degrees like the Tab, all you get is people on the bus, train or plane looking sideways to see what you're looking at :mad: :mad:
I'm based in England at the moment, they don't have that much sunlight :rolleyes: and even less direct sunlight :mad:
First impressions, it feels to plasticky, not like it's price suggests that it should, not as bad as an X10, but almost.

Phen0m

Aug 10, 2008
Viewing angles are a subjective issue, personally when i pick up my mobile device and look into it, it's always straight in front of me, so that's all i want, but if you have a viewing angle of over 45 degrees like the Tab, all you get is people on the bus, train or plane looking sideways to see what you're looking at :mad: :mad:
I'm based in England at the moment, they don't have that much sunlight :rolleyes: and even less direct sunlight :mad:
First impressions, it feels to plasticky, not like it's price suggests that it should, not as bad as an X10, but almost.

How is the call quality/ease of use.. Does the tab "feel" swift?

Halulz

Jul 1, 2010
Hello guys,

Thanks for the initial question. I will cover this question in the video review.

I need more points of focus for the review.

MOARRRR

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

sebbo90

May 10, 2009
Like if you have had chance to use the ipad, maybe like how does it compare value wise? As I think how much it costs £599 is putting me off, but if it is worth it compared to other tablets then I would consider it more

How is the call quality/ease of use.. Does the tab "feel" swift?

Wouldn't know about call quality as it's only owned by an engineer that comes into our office, he doesn't have any problems as far as i've heard, but as with other threads here just don't expect it to fit into you jacket or trouser pocket, one it's to big and another it's to heavy to be comfortable.
You may have visited the dell streak forum, or heard of how fragile the dell streak lcd screen is? because of it's large size the body flexes but LCD's by their very nature cannot flex and they snap. Well just look at the size of the LCD on the Tab, and the body of the Tab is made of plastic and (not titanium as per streak) to save weight, this by it's very design will make it more suceptible to breakage, (the body will flex under pressure the LCD will not) = ££££££

Like if you have had chance to use the ipad, maybe like how does it compare value wise? As I think how much it costs £599 is putting me off, but if it is worth it compared to other tablets then I would consider it more

Well the ipad and the Tab are two completely different entities, one is a bookreader trying to be a netbook pc, the others a smartphone with obesity problems. They shouldn't be compared IMO.

Halulz

Jul 1, 2010
Wouldn't know about call quality as it's only owned by an engineer that comes into our office, he doesn't have any problems as far as i've heard, but as with other threads here just don't expect it to fit into you jacket or trouser pocket, one it's to big and another it's to heavy to be comfortable.
You may have visited the dell streak forum, or heard of how fragile the dell streak lcd screen is? because of it's large size the body flexes but LCD's by their very nature cannot flex and they snap. Well just look at the size of the LCD on the Tab, and the body of the Tab is made of plastic and (not titanium as per streak) to save weight, this by it's very design will make it more suceptible to breakage, (the body will flex under pressure the LCD will not) = ££££££

Well the ipad and the Tab are two completely different entities, one is a bookreader trying to be a netbook pc, the others a smartphone with obesity problems. They shouldn't be compared IMO.

Thank you. Do you have any questions that you would like answered about the device?

Thank you. Do you have any questions that you would like answered about the device?

Similar to all owners i would think! why did samsung insist on utilising such a large bezel around the screen? therebye turning a 7' screen device into one more akin to a 10' without any benefits of a 10'?, and adding nothing to the looks of the device at the same time.

sebbo90

May 10, 2009

Lol yeah I get the point, what I was more curious was in relation to the size, like is 7" too small to get a full web experience? Is it too big to carry round yet too small to use around the home? etc

like is 7" too small to get a full web experience?

No, because the 5" dell streak isn't to small for that!

Is it too big to carry round yet too small to use around the home? etc

As in other posts! you will not carry this around on your pocket, unless you want to break it! You might try a large overcoat with a very wide collar, if the pockets big enough and you want to look like the FBI everywhere you go.

https://www.urbantool.com/hq/laptop-cases/show-pocketbar

LostAlone

Jul 15, 2010

Thanks for trolling another thread entirely off the rails.

To the OP:

A few things that I'd like to see discussed. Firstly how does it feel to type on it ? I've seen in a few first-impression pieces that it feels good (like a galaxy S in landscape) but it'd be great to get the feelings of a regular user. Also, some shots of the keyboard in action would be nice.

Secondly, can you toss some 720p video on there and show us how it looks. It never looks the same in video as in person, but it'd give us an idea of how the screen does as far as contrast and colour vibrancy is concerned.

Finally, how does the device feel to you ? Does it feel to you like you could carry it in a pocket all day ? Does it meet your expectations for speed/ease of use ?

GL with the video, hope to see it soon!

frav

Jan 23, 2007
Paris
It is maybe off topic, but ... here goes :
- What release of Android is running ? Same as the one on Galaxy S device ?
- Does this android release supports multiple Exchange sync accounts (like HTC Desire & Desire Z do) ?
- Does it have 2 SIM card slots ? (saw that somewhere, don't remember ... where). If so, is it one for voice plan, second one for data plan ?
- Does it come with a USB host port (or the hw to take care of it) ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

koven

Sep 10, 2006
Does it play 1080p files (mkv & flash) or does i only output 1080p..?

ballah

Dec 5, 2008
I got my hands on this last week to try out for a good half hour, and i loved it. The size was great, and great to watch movies on.

Looking forward to it. Release in Norway is 21. okt :))

johnnewhouse

Oct 19, 2007
could it be confirmed if the Tab is going to require Kies in the same way as the Galaxy phones, e.g. for firmware updates
i assume that there will be no difference between this and their phones, but as Kies is software that i truly dislike, i am living in hope that it does not.

AnttiV

Apr 23, 2009
Pori
could it be confirmed if the Tab is going to require Kies in the same way as the Galaxy phones, e.g. for firmware updates
i assume that there will be no difference between this and their phones, but as Kies is software that i truly dislike, i am living in hope that it does not.

Yes, it is confirmed by Samsung already. In their official site, it says in the "PC connectivity" section "KIES". Sorry. I know, I hate that application with a passion myself...

AnttiV

Apr 23, 2009
Pori
If you have time, it would probably interest many people if you'd manage to try some popular apps from the market and see how they act with the increased resolution. We all probably have out own top10 lists for software, but I think browsing appbrain for most popular and trying a few of them would give people some idea how far that compatibility is.

(I, personally, would love to see how WidgetLocker, Beautiful Widgets and Launcher Pro work on that, but unfortunately at least the first two ain't free.

But more generally, how do widgets work on that screen? What I've gathered from the pictures is that the Tab has a FIVE column display (instead of the traditional 4) on the homescreen. How do widgets work with that? does a 4x4 widget scale to full size, or does it live a "column" free. Also, how many rows does the screen have?

EDIT: oookay, I don't know why these two posts became separate, this was supposed to be an edit to that earlier...

Last edited:

LostAlone

Jul 15, 2010
Actually thats a good idea.

I even forget that widget locket etc are even apps these days! But yes that'd be good to see if they scale up or still work properly on the big screen.

I imagine beutiful widget and switchpro you could make them bigger with launcherpro+ if they won't scale up by themselves, same with any other widgets, but it'd be good if they did it for free! However I think the 'grid' on the Tab is bigger anyway, so 4x2 widget would cover more space, but then it appears to have more rows too, so they might still appear small :p

Anyways, if you have any paid for apps on your main smartphone, you should be able to put the same market account on the Tab and download them again, so that's one way around paying twice just to demo them.

FetFnask

Sep 14, 2010
A few things I'd like to see:

- Spotify in action if possible.
- Proper comics and hos they scale to the screen and if it's easy or hard to read them (The Walking Dead for example.)
- A bit more on reading eBooks in different lights.
- In-depth look at the calendar and how flexible it is.
- If possible, how the accessories (like the keyboard) work.
- How it handles different resolutions of video.

Thank you for accepting suggestions!