[RELEASE][7-7-11] RevoToolkit - Easily install ClockworkMod on your Revo4G!

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Hello everyone! It's me again!
What's this you ask?
It's a quick and easy way to get ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your LG Revolution 4G.

Super simple. Download app. Install app. Click button. Done!

aWZ42.png

What is this?
An app written entirely by yours truly, that allows you to easily install and update ClockworkMod Recovery on your device. This app also allows you to revert to the stock LG recovery with a single click of a button.

This app also allows you to reboot into recovery easily without having to fumble with ADB or timing your button presses on boot.

Prerequisites
To be able to install this app and use it, your device MUST be rooted already.
This app does not root your phone (yet!)

Instructions for Installing
There's a few ways to get this app installed on your phone...
The easiest is as follows:
1) Open this page on your phone, scroll down to the download link, and click it.
2) Your device will download the .apk and ask you to install it. Follow the on-screen instructions.

An alternate method is to download the apk file, put it on your sdcard, then open it using a file manager on the phone.

Instructions for Use
Make sure you're on a fast connection, like wifi or 4G. Downloading over 3G may take a long time!

Open the app, and you'll be presented with two buttons:
Check version and Install recovery.
Click Check version, and accept the superuser prompt.
If you don't have Clockwork installed, it should output the installed version as "Revo Stock".

If no version is listed, STOP and post here.

Once you have determined your recovery version, you can click the "Install" button. From there you will be asked which version to install. Select the most recent version (topmost), click OK and accept the superuser prompt.

After clicking OK, do not touch your phone until the process completes! A pop-up will inform you whether the process completed or failed.

At this time, there is no way to cancel the installation process once it has started. Exiting the app will not cancel the install.

Once the install has finished, you can press Menu -> Reboot Recovery to painlessly enter ClockworkMod Recovery.

FAQ

I get an md5 error! What do I do?
For the most part, don't worry. Just don't reboot your phone into recovery, since then you'll get stuck in fastboot mode.
Just wait a few minutes and try installing again. If you're using Wifi, try using 3g/4g to download and vice versa if using 3g/4g.

I get some other error, or the program doesn't even run at all!
Make sure busybox is installed to /system/bin with the proper permissions.

Donation Information
I love to develop. I don't do this for money, I do it just for the "thanks".
If you think this app helped you get ClockworkMod installed, please consider making a donation to me.

Please don't feel obligated to donate, but if you feel like it, you can click the button below to donate any amount you wish to me.

If you don't want to donate, just click the "Thanks" button under this post, I sure appreciate it!

Special Thanks!
Special thanks to all the testers that helped me make sure this app was ready for primetime!

Also, special thanks (as usual) to the ClockworkMod team- without them, this app would have no purpose!

Contact Me!
Got an issue with this release? Post here!
Want to contact me privately? PM me on XDA or Rootzwiki
Twitter your thing? Follow me, @tylerfixer on Twitter

Join the official LG Revolution dev IRC channel at freenode on #lgrevolution
I'm IOMonster on IRC!

Last edited:

nick99wj

Aug 13, 2010
Rochester, NY
Thank you for this, it will def help lots of people who are a little less computer friendly, such as myself

also....that's a whole lotta windows you have open haha

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Application is coming along nicely!
Features so far:
  • Check installed clockwork version
  • Update installed clockwork
  • Install custom CWR version
  • Reboot into recovery button
  • Copy last logfile to SDcard
  • ..and an easter egg

All pretty good for my first Android application :)
It's not that bad once you get the hang of Java...

Last edited:
Reactions: nick99wj

njKeever

Jun 16, 2011
Looks good. What's the advantage of writing your own app as opposed to incorporating your CWM port into Rom Manager?

iomthd

Apr 23, 2008
Probably ease of implementation and also great practice for future endeavors

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Looks good. What's the advantage of writing your own app as opposed to incorporating your CWM port into Rom Manager?

Two reasons:
1) For the LIFE of me, I can't get in contact with anyone with the power to get my CWM port into ROM manager... and
2) If it's THIS hard to get anything into ROM manager, imagine how hard it'd be for me to push updated versions to you as 'quick fixes'.

A third, and slightly less important reason:
3) It's my first Android app, and it seemed like a good project :)

Rav20

May 13, 2010
well i cant speak for every Revo owner, But form me THANKS!
thanks for all the hard work.

Brksy86

Jun 23, 2011
awsome! This being my first rooted phone, im too scared to do anything until I have it backed up, including installing CWM the way you first posted. REALLY looking forward to this.

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Status Update:
Okay, so Java isn't really my language of choice, else I'd have this done by now haha.

I'm having some troubles with my JSON parser, and a weird issue still with the scripts not being able to output to the log box...

However, hosting is worked out, and so is the function of "Party Mode" :)

Expect good things here by Friday! (had to move the deadline up a few days, wasn't feeling too well today/yesterday)

Reactions: zmhutchinson

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
One more lovely teaser shot :)

Now you'll be able to switch back to the stock Revo recovery easily, just in case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone! It's me again!
    What's this you ask?
    It's a quick and easy way to get ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your LG Revolution 4G.

Super simple. Download app. Install app. Click button. Done!

aWZ42.png

What is this?
    An app written entirely by yours truly, that allows you to easily install and update ClockworkMod Recovery on your device. This app also allows you to revert to the stock LG recovery with a single click of a button.

This app also allows you to reboot into recovery easily without having to fumble with ADB or timing your button presses on boot.

Prerequisites
    To be able to install this app and use it, your device MUST be rooted already.
    This app does not root your phone (yet!)

Instructions for Installing
    There's a few ways to get this app installed on your phone...
    The easiest is as follows:
    1) Open this page on your phone, scroll down to the download link, and click it.
    2) Your device will download the .apk and ask you to install it. Follow the on-screen instructions.

An alternate method is to download the apk file, put it on your sdcard, then open it using a file manager on the phone.

Instructions for Use
    Make sure you're on a fast connection, like wifi or 4G. Downloading over 3G may take a long time!

Open the app, and you'll be presented with two buttons:
    Check version and Install recovery.
    Click Check version, and accept the superuser prompt.
    If you don't have Clockwork installed, it should output the installed version as "Revo Stock".

If no version is listed, STOP and post here.

Once you have determined your recovery version, you can click the "Install" button. From there you will be asked which version to install. Select the most recent version (topmost), click OK and accept the superuser prompt.

After clicking OK, do not touch your phone until the process completes! A pop-up will inform you whether the process completed or failed.

At this time, there is no way to cancel the installation process once it has started. Exiting the app will not cancel the install.

Once the install has finished, you can press Menu -> Reboot Recovery to painlessly enter ClockworkMod Recovery.

FAQ

I get an md5 error! What do I do?
    For the most part, don't worry. Just don't reboot your phone into recovery, since then you'll get stuck in fastboot mode.
    Just wait a few minutes and try installing again. If you're using Wifi, try using 3g/4g to download and vice versa if using 3g/4g.

I get some other error, or the program doesn't even run at all!
    Make sure busybox is installed to /system/bin with the proper permissions.

Donation Information
    I love to develop. I don't do this for money, I do it just for the "thanks".
    If you think this app helped you get ClockworkMod installed, please consider making a donation to me.

Please don't feel obligated to donate, but if you feel like it, you can click the button below to donate any amount you wish to me.

If you don't want to donate, just click the "Thanks" button under this post, I sure appreciate it!

Special Thanks!
    Special thanks to all the testers that helped me make sure this app was ready for primetime!

Also, special thanks (as usual) to the ClockworkMod team- without them, this app would have no purpose!

Contact Me!
    Got an issue with this release? Post here!
    Want to contact me privately? PM me on XDA or Rootzwiki
    Twitter your thing? Follow me, @tylerfixer on Twitter

Join the official LG Revolution dev IRC channel at freenode on #lgrevolution
    I'm IOMonster on IRC!

Two reasons:
    1) For the LIFE of me, I can't get in contact with anyone with the power to get my CWM port into ROM manager... and
    2) If it's THIS hard to get anything into ROM manager, imagine how hard it'd be for me to push updated versions to you as 'quick fixes'.

A third, and slightly less important reason:
    3) It's my first Android app, and it seemed like a good project :)
    Its released! Woohoo!!
    Coming soon... yep I know I've said that a few times now...

Patience is a virtue :)

I've got the threading issues solved, now to just tidy up the app and add some more error-checking (solve things like randomly FC'ing, etc).

I'm going to thoroughly test this app before releasing it, since it needs to work 100% of the time.
    A big thank you..

Hi I'm EXTREMELY new to the XDA world as well as the root realm...
    But after extensive lurking as an ANON and looking over ALL of the info that you and the splendid folks here at XDA have shared I can say that my root experience has been an absolute DREAM!
    Thank you to TheCubed for all of your generousity and GENIUS that you bring...
    And to everyone else that have lent a hand in sharing the information to have a better phone experience!

If it were not for my limit finances, I would gladly donate - sadly living from paycheck to paycheck at the moment prohibits me in doing so.

I started out absolutely terrified to root my phone - but with all of you good folks here, I've enjoy the benefits of taking the plundge!!!

Thank you thank you to you all!!

My Revolution is now setup the way it was ment to be.....Feature rich, quicker, without limits and dare I say - better battery life?? (seems that way anyway!)

I hope that someday/somehow I can contribute to the cause and help others here as I have been helped!
    :)