[Q] Web Pages Timing Out and Pages Won't Load

Search This thread

Dr_Collie

Apr 11, 2014
My new M8 frequently has trouble loading web pages and just hangs up. I click on a forum or a page or a message link and I get no load or a partial page load and then the phone just hangs. The phone works just fine most of the time with fast page loads, and then it goes through periods of having this problem - sometimes minutes, and sometimes much longer (hours). It happens with both Chrome and Opera. I have used this phone next to a Samsung Galaxy S4 and an Apple IPhone5. Both occasionally take a handful of seconds to load web pages, but neither takes 30 seconds or more or just fails to load.

This used to happen to my with my HTC Thunderbolt and was the primary reason I upgraded to the S4 because the Thunderbolt became unusable and I was constantly pulling the battery out to reset. I just assumed the problem with the Thunderbolt was a function of the Thunderbolt being a first generation LTE phone and insufficient network capacity on the part of Verzion. Now that it is happening with my M8 but not with other phones at the same time and place, it appears that something is wrong with how HTC phones talk to the Verizon network. As I recall, this was a known problem with the Thunderbolt.

I notice it mostly at work, where I use the web the most, and sometimes at home. At work, there are a lot of offices nearby and thus a lot of cell traffic. At home, my phone sometimes switches between 4G and 3G. Thus, both areas are subject to high traffic or weak signals. I haven't used the phone elsewhere enough to know if it happens is "normal" traffic areas.

What it looks like to me is that when I am in places where there is heavy traffic or a weaker signal, the HTC doesn't handle communication with the cell towers properly. It is like the phone either can't find the network or, more likely, it finds the network and then loses communication and traffic is juggled. Maybe the signal put out by the HTC is not strong enough or there is something wrong with its receiving circuitry???

Today, Opera displayed the following error message:

Error - Your request failed
Your browser failed to complete sending the request
IP Address [########s]
Proxy IP [#############s]
Proxy ID
Server IP
Error Code 4
Error Name Error processing request (Code 4)
Error description The request could not be fully read

I have bluetooth, wifi, airplane mode, and location off, and only a couple of apps.

I really like this phone (the M8). However, I lived through this problem for 2 years with the Thunderbolt and then did not have the problem for the past year on the S4, and I am not about to deal with it again. I am finding it hard not to conclude that I just need to return the phone.

I thought I would ask whether anyone has experienced this problem or has any idea about whether it is fixable as opposed to just a fundamental problem with HTC phones.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

filkbomb

Mar 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Might be a random app stealing all your bandwidth. Check your data usage in settings. If you can't see anything out of the ordinary, try Onavo Count or something that analyzes your data activity.

Dr_Collie

Apr 11, 2014
Thanks, but Chrome and Opera are the largest users of data (along with Google Play Store, which I imagine is due to the couple of apps I downloaded). There is no other significant user of data.

del9800

Jul 4, 2011
Have had same issue and at times playstore will do the same. Ive wiped davik and seem to fix problem but I was also thinking it was a connection problem coming from verizon(So. Cal). All is well now with great download(40mb) and upload(19mb) speeds.

Dr_Collie

Apr 11, 2014
I installed Onavo Count this morning and so far it isn't showing any apps using unusual amounts of data. Opera, Chrome and Android OS are the primary users of data.

I was in the Verizon Center today and the M8 worked flawlessly. Not surprising as I expect that Verizon supplies a good, strong signal there (it generally showed 3-4 bars rather than 5).

andrewnelson

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
I installed Onavo Count this morning and so far it isn't showing any apps using unusual amounts of data. Opera, Chrome and Android OS are the primary users of data.