[Q] Custom ringtones?

Search This thread

kclive

Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Mo
I have been trying to add my custom ringtones to my M8 for a couple of hours now and can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to show up in the system. I am rooted and have a custom rom running but can't get the ringtones to show up. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

do0m

Jun 27, 2008
Yonkers, NY.
I have been trying to add my custom ringtones to my M8 for a couple of hours now and can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to show up in the system. I am rooted and have a custom rom running but can't get the ringtones to show up. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Try using ringdroid. I'm having trouble finding a way to set them as well. We used to be able to choose where to look for them but it seems to be removed.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks.

Must be .m4a to be recognized as a ringtone. I if they are .m4r just rename.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: kclive

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Should look like this...if not right folder structure it will not read it....if they are a format the phone doesnt play then may not show as well...I use .mp3/ogg as my ringtones and no issues seeing them in ringtones selection. An after thought, custom ringtones for contacts or phone calls...not sure if same applies I would assume it would let you select if for contacts the same as for phone calls

I must be doing something wrong then. I opened up the internal storage on my phone from my computer, created the folder ringtones, put the tones in it, rebooted the phone and still nothing. Am just about to give up.

Attachments

• internal_storage.jpg
    internal_storage.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

kclive

Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Mo
That is EXACTLEY how I have it. Do I need to set read/write permissions or anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
three pics im posting one is of the folder with the ringtones in it...the other two are of selectable ringtones shown in folder...not sure what the deal is with your phone...ive never had an issue with adding ringtones to the folder im saying to use and it not show in the ringtone list, what format are they?

That is EXACTLEY how I have it. Do I need to set read/write permissions or anything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2014-04-11-17-49-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-11-17-49-27.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2014-04-11-17-49-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-11-17-49-31.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 49

kclive

Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Mo
I have tried most formats except mp3 as I was told it needed a different format. I will try mp3 and see what happens.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

kclive

Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Mo
three pics im posting one is of the folder with the ringtones in it...the other two are of selectable ringtones shown in folder...not sure what the deal is with your phone...ive never had an issue with adding ringtones to the folder im saying to use and it not show in the ringtone list, what format are they?

I just tried with MP3 files and no luck. I went into settings/phone/sound/ringtone and the only ringtones there are the stock ones. Not sure what the deal is.

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Create a folder on your internal storage or SD card called "media". Inside that folder make a folder called "audio". Without quotes obviously lol. Inside that folder make a folder called "ringtones". Put all of your custom ringtones in there. I have mine in MP3 format and it all works fine.

You can also make folders named "notifications" and "alarms" inside the audio folder and add custom sounds to those as well. It's all picked up by my phone as soon as I add them.

I've been using this method since FroYo and it never fails. Also, I believe you can skip the "audio" folder step and put the ringtones folder directly into the media folder and it should work just the same.

Also, I would make the "r" in "ringtones" lowercase just in case...you never know when OSes will begin getting picky lmao.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
It actually could matter...if the dev changed a line in aac it would have the issue your describing. I know this because when I was messing around with the build I use I changed that and couldnt get my ringtones to show just dawned on me about it

It shouldn't matter what rom I am running should it?

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

If on a custom rom ...look at this file...system\customize\ACC\default.xml

if it says this:
<item type="boolean" name="support_music_ringtone">true</item>

change it to:
<item type="boolean" name="support_music_ringtone">false</item>

and reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.

Must be .m4a to be recognized as a ringtone. I if they are .m4r just rename.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    At a loss on this one as it works on all my phones the way I outlined it.....sorry