[Q] Please Help! Flashing errors

Search This thread

jreyes23

Apr 20, 2014
Samsung Galaxy s3 T-mobile SGH-T999 4.3 jellybean
I have been trying for a few days to flash my phone but no luck. All I want is to get cyangenmod but I encounter errors everywhere I go. I have tried the simple method provided by cyanogenmod themselves but at the end of the process it boots me up into recovery mode telling me that I might lose root and asking that if I want to fix it. No matter what I choose it decides to boot up into regular touchwiz with no apparent changes. I have tried the mobile odin method but it comes up with an error and boots up yet again. It came up with an error but the screen turned off before I could read any further. I have tried flashing the rom via rom manager but everytime I do it boots me up into recovery mode with an error and eventually asks me that same question regarding root just before returning me back to touchwiz. I have even tried using odin307(which I used to root my phone) but it no longer recognizes my phone. I have no idea what to do. My phone still works fine although I get more errors concerning google application after a factory reset but I can still use it no problem. Also, whenever I try to boot up into recovery mode it just shows up with that cyanogenmod icon and then it dissapears just before having it boot up normally so i can no longer boot up into recovery mode. I have downloaded clockworkmod recovery but no luck. I have done so many things that I wouldn't be surprised if my phone turned out to be broken now. whenever I boot up into download mode it now tells me that everything is custom. I have heard of problems concerning knox but when I rooted my phone it didn't it didn't seem to get rid of it. This is really driving me nuts and I now hate samsung for having it made so hard to tweak anything in this phone. Does anyone know of a way get passed all of this stuff and flashing the rom? is my phone broken now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It helps a lot if you included exactly what errors you saw. A recovery log, what exactly you're trying to flash, and any other related details goes a long way.
If odin doesn't see your phone its probably a driver issue. What does it say in device manager?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jreyes23

jreyes23

Apr 20, 2014
It helps a lot if you included exactly what errors you saw. A recovery log, what exactly you're trying to flash, and any other related details goes a long way.
If odin doesn't see your phone its probably a driver issue. What does it say in device manager?

As you can see, I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff so I apologize in advance if I don't answer your questions in the correct manner.

If you are talking about the phone drivers, I had already installed them some time ago. I have even installed kies and kies3. Odin recognized my phone before I did all of this since it was what I used to root my phone. I am still able to access the phone's files through my computer.

when I used rom manager it would give me an error right after the whole backup process and show me recovery mode. I would try to look up the same rom via the recovery directory but it would give me the same error message. If i clicked on the reboot option, it would boot me up to stock. If I clicked on the **go back** option a couple of times it would give me this message.

Root Access Possibly Lost Fix?
THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE

1. YES fix root (/system/xbin/su)

2. NO do not fix

*Go back*

no matter what I clicked on, it would boot me up into stock yet again.
I tried doing this again just now and it turned off. it then showed that small strip of blue at the top left that it usually shows before booting up into recovery mode and the screen turned off shortly after. at this point I was unable to turn on the phone even with the charger on. I was only able to turn it on after booting it up into download mode.

This same root message appeared when I tried to flash using the cyanogenmod website method. the only difference was that it only showed this message and not the whole recovery menu.

The device manager reads it as "Samsung device"

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Ok, first thing you should do is uninstall kies. Odin usually wont work if its installed. If it still fails to see it in odin, uninstall your drivers through device manager, then install the stand alone driver pkg from my sig. (Use the second or third newest to start, the latest should work, but its had a lot more changes for the S5 and Note3.)

Once you get Odin working, download TWRP and flash. (Put the file in PDA if using Odin v3.07, or put it in AP if v3.09). See my sig for everything you need. (Get the .tar or .tar.md5 file for flashing in Odin btw.)

Next boot recovery and flash your rom. A factory reset would probably a good idea at this point, but you can try without first if you want.
If you have any questions or problems feel free to ask. Most of us dont mind helping at all, so long as you are willing to make an effort to help yourself first.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Oh, and Sammys devices wont turn on when plugged in. This is perfectly normal.

jreyes23

Apr 20, 2014
Ok, first thing you should do is uninstall kies. Odin usually wont work if its installed. If it still fails to see it in odin, uninstall your drivers through device manager, then install the stand alone driver pkg from my sig. (Use the second or third newest to start, the latest should work, but its had a lot more changes for the S5 and Note3.)

Once you get Odin working, download TWRP and flash. (Put the file in PDA if using Odin v3.07, or put it in AP if v3.09). See my sig for everything you need. (Get the .tar or .tar.md5 file for flashing in Odin btw.)

Next boot recovery and flash your rom. A factory reset would probably a good idea at this point, but you can try without first if you want.
If you have any questions or problems feel free to ask. Most of us dont mind helping at all, so long as you are willing to make an effort to help yourself first.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Thank you for the timely and thorough responses.

Okay so odin is now reading my device. It just isn't reading my device while on download mode though.

I tried the .tar version first and this is what came up:

C:\Users\Jerry\Desktop\openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-d2tmo.tar

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I attempted this four times and they all ended with "fail" at the top

I then attempted the .tar.md5 and I received this.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2tmo.tar.md5 is invalid.
<OSM> End...

It seems like it is not even reading this file. This came up before even connecting my device. I tried a couple versions of this but they all had the same result.

My phone then asked to update clockworkmodrecovery and I did.( I actually installed the rom installer version) After doing so, I decided to try my luck and boot up into recovery mode. This time I was successful in booting up into recovery mode although it still showed me that cyanogenmod icon right before getting there. I then went on to install a zip from sd card only to receive the same message I have been receiving since the very beginning:

Installing: /sdcard/0/cm-11-20140217-NIGHTLY-d2tmo.zip
Finding update package...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: THEN A BUNCH OF THESE getprop(" ro.bootloader") =="T999VVLUVUBMK4" (WITH VARIATIONS AFTER T999)
E: Error in /data/media/0/cm-11-20140217-NIGHTLY-d2tmo.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

After error I clicked on the "reboot now" option, only to come up with this message again:
Root Access Possibly Lost Fix?

THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE

1. YES fix root (/system/xbin/su)

2. NO do not fix

This message is what seems(at least to me) to be the main problem. It has appeared after a successful cyanogenmod standard installation (the one from their website) only to restore everything to default after I click on it. Instead of rebooting normally like cyanogenmod said, it would bring me up to this screen. so it seems that even if i were to have a successful installation, this would keep it from going through

I also tried mobile odin but, once again, showed an error that disappeared before I could remember anything.

Thanks your help is really appreciated.

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If odin isnt seeing it in download mode try reinstalling your drivers, maybe a different version. Also, check what version of odin you are using. If 3.07, try 3.09. If using 3.09, try 3.07.
Another thing I noticed is the twrp you were trying to use is quite old. Try 2.7.0.0. If you still cant do this from Odin, use the Goo Manager app from the store. (Press menu, then install openrecovery script)

Also, install Terminal Emulator, and enter this:

getprop ro.bootloader

Tell me what it returns. Finally, if you want, open the rom zip file and find the updater script. Open with Notepad++ and delete the assert lines at the top. Save then delete the sig files from the rom, rezip and flash. (There are 3 signature files, cert, manifest, and another. If found, delete, if not, ignore)

jreyes23

Apr 20, 2014
If odin isnt seeing it in download mode try reinstalling your drivers, maybe a different version. Also, check what version of odin you are using. If 3.07, try 3.09. If using 3.09, try 3.07.
Another thing I noticed is the twrp you were trying to use is quite old. Try 2.7.0.0. If you still cant do this from Odin, use the Goo Manager app from the store. (Press menu, then install openrecovery script)

getprop ro.bootloader

Tell me what it returns. Finally, if you want, open the rom zip file and find the updater script. Open with Notepad++ and delete the assert lines at the top. Save then delete the sig files from the rom, rezip and flash. (There are 3 signature files, cert, manifest, and another. If found, delete, if not, ignore)

Hey man I was finally able to flash my rom! I updated both the drivers and odin and was able to successfully install the recovery file. It still did not install cyanogenmod reading an md5 error and "error executing updater binary in zip" though. anyway I installed AOKP instead and it finally worked. I think the cyanogenmod files that I downloaded were just incompatible with my device or faulty (even though i tried like 10. maybe something wrong with my phone?). Anyway I am really grateful for all of your help. I was so happy after I was finally getting it. It seriously frustrated the heck out of me. I no longer hate my samsung and am quite liking this new rom. Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Glad I could help and that you seem to be happy with it so far!

Good luck!

getprop ro.bootloader