Straight Talk Unlimited with Captivate

Search This thread

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
chiming in

I had horrible issue with my StraightTalk sim card.
Had to transfer my number, which worked.
Texting and data both didn't work. And the customer support was not helpful.
Then I went to ST facebook page and their Florida office phone. Facebook was useless.
All of them kept saying that simcard/phone is fully provisioned and all 3 components of calls/data/sms should work. They also said that "service is not guaranteed".
Florida Tracfone office called in some techsupport and they submitted Level 2 (L2) ticket. Their backoffice DB had only call record, but not data or text. WTF. They finally fixed it in next 5 days.
The whole nightmare took two weeks.
I have data working, MMS working, SMS working.
Beware of not going over 2GB limit. ST can cancel your contract and you will lose your phone number.
But for unlimited calls and text and some data - 45 is a good price. Beware!

Reactions: wwcjr91

dchawk81

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah they cut my data off once but I called in and got it reinstated after answering a few questions about my usage.

MrBooMY

Apr 15, 2011
I've been running an E71 sim for over 2 years. They only rescently started warning me about usage which baffles me because I went WELL over 2GB my first month or two and they didn't bother me. Now as soon as I get CLOSE to 2GB they call me. For what I'm paying I'll live with it. I've got most of my family to switch over. Everyone is loving paying $48.15 a month (tax included 7%) instead of $80+ for the cheapest family member.

visionlogic

Dec 29, 2008
Dixie
Seriously... when did "unlimited" suddenly get redefined as "limited based on what we decide" ?

It is standard operating procedure. Your government lies to you, corporations lie to you, advertising lies to you, society lies to you (and to itself), individuals lie to you, the law lies to you. Your entire life is a quagmire of lies and deceit. To actually be told the truth is the most shocking thing of all.

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
It is standard operating procedure. Your government lies to you, corporations lie to you, advertising lies to you, society lies to you (and to itself), individuals lie to you, the law lies to you. Your entire life is a quagmire of lies and deceit. To actually be told the truth is the most shocking thing of all.
Honestly, that's a depressing paragraph.

Reactions: wwcjr91

jjadus

Jul 24, 2009
I'm using my Captivate on ST and I'm getting 3mg down and 1.2 up. There's others getting better down/up speeds depending on your coverage area. It uses AT&T's 3g network. I was with AT&T prior to ST and my speeds are the same. Basically any GSM phone will work but if it's a T-Mobile phone you'll be limited to EDGE.

Hi I know that this is an old post but I have a Captivate and just signed up to ST a week ago. I got the data working but so far I am only getting Edge service not 3g but I think I was sent a Tmobile sim from ST not an AT&T sim. Could you or anyone post the APN settings that worked with your Captivate and ST and 3G. Thanks

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Hi I know that this is an old post but I have a Captivate and just signed up to ST a week ago. I got the data working but so far I am only getting Edge service not 3g but I think I was sent a Tmobile sim from ST not an AT&T sim. Could you or anyone post the APN settings that worked with your Captivate and ST and 3G. Thanks
ST doesn't offer AT&T SIMs any more -- everything is T-Mo. So you can't get 3G on their service unless you're in an area that T-Mobile has refarmed the 1900 band in already.

Either switch to a T-Mo phone or buy an AT&T ST SIM on eBay (they're pricey).

jjadus

Jul 24, 2009
ST doesn't offer AT&T SIMs any more -- everything is T-Mo. So you can't get 3G on their service unless you're in an area that T-Mobile has refarmed the 1900 band in already.

So I was thinking about upgrading to a Galaxy S2 or S3. Is there a way I can be sure an unlocked S2 or S3 may work and give me G3 or G4 service with ST? I know I have to cut the sim to accommodate these two phones. Thanks

s44

Sep 25, 2010
So I was thinking about upgrading to a Galaxy S2 or S3. Is there a way I can be sure an unlocked S2 or S3 may work and give me G3 or G4 service with ST? I know I have to cut the sim to accommodate these two phones. Thanks
The T-Mo S2 will give you 3G on T-Mo based ST. With the S3, either the T-Mo or the AT&T model will work -- you can just flash the AT&T one to become a T-Mo one.

International S2 (i9100) or S3 (i9300) will *not* work.

rmntruexjr

Apr 7, 2011
Maine

Since when exactly? I just switched to straight talk this month and purchased two standard size at&t compatible sim cards and activated them with no issue. I also got a third standard t-mo compatible sim from ebay, because in a few months I will be working in an area that only has t-mo for service. I did a google search for the right t-mo APN to get 3g working for the cappy on t-mo and others said it worked for them, but again, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Edit: Just to clarify, I purchased the at&t sims from the wallmart website.

Edit2: Nevermind, guess it was recent as I ordered my sims a few months back but I see they aren't listed now.....Funny that they still activated them for me and never mentioned anything about it.

Last edited:

jjadus

Jul 24, 2009

Since when exactly? I just switched to straight talk this month and purchased two standard size at&t compatible sim cards and activated them with no issue. I also got a third standard t-mo compatible sim from ebay, because in a few months I will be working in an area that only has t-mo for service. I did a google search for the right t-mo APN to get 3g working for the cappy on t-mo and others said it worked for them, but again, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Edit: Just to clarify, I purchased the at&t sims from the wallmart website.

Edit2: Nevermind, guess it was recent as I ordered my sims a few months back but I see they aren't listed now.....Funny that they still activated them for me and never mentioned anything about it.

Hi would you mind providing a link to the AT&T sim at Walmart or did you call? Thanks

rmntruexjr

Apr 7, 2011
Maine
Hi would you mind providing a link to the AT&T sim at Walmart or did you call? Thanks

Sorry, s44 was correct. I got mine a few months back so they stopped recently. I edited my post after I realized, and I apologize for posting before I double checked.

You can still get them on ebay for around $50:eek:

Last edited:

neo_sg

May 25, 2013
Sorry, s44 was correct. I got mine a few months back so they stopped recently. I edited my post after I realized, and I apologize for posting before I double checked.

You can still get them on ebay for around $50:eek:

You can get it online from there web site.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

jjadus

Jul 24, 2009
The T-Mo S2 will give you 3G on T-Mo based ST. With the S3, either the T-Mo or the AT&T model will work -- you can just flash the AT&T one to become a T-Mo one.

International S2 (i9100) or S3 (i9300) will *not* work.

Hi thanks for the reply. I have had this Captivate for over two years and have never flashed it. Can this phone be flashed to become a T-Mobile phone? And if it can could you direct me to a Howto or tutorial on how this would be accomplished? Or flash an S3 or where I could purchase an S3 unlocked that is already a T-Mobile? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks Joe

s44

Sep 25, 2010
You can get it online from there web site.
No you can't. Try ordering one.
Hi thanks for the reply. I have had this Captivate for over two years and have never flashed it. Can this phone be flashed to become a T-Mobile phone? And if it can could you direct me to a Howto or tutorial on how this would be accomplished? Or flash an S3 or where I could purchase an S3 unlocked that is already a T-Mobile? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks Joe
No, you can't change the radio on the Cap. It is what it is.

At this point, for an S3 I'd get an AT&T one off Swappa. Not only is it cheaper secondhand than the T-Mo, with the mod it actually has LTE on T-Mo's network that you need to buy the special LTE version on T-Mo to get otherwise.

flashing the AT&T S3 to work on T-Mo

neo_sg

May 25, 2013
Looks like straight talk stop providing att&t. Compatible simcard.

sysbus6

Dec 23, 2008
East Calais
Looks like straight talk stop providing att&t. Compatible simcard.

I just bought a ST sim for my cappy for my girlfriend. Works great! had to change the apn on the phone to get data. She was not sure she wanted a smartphone, and it seemed like a good test for her without signing up for a contract. I have a rooted cappy with a collective rom.

I got this online from ST last week.....

htrowpiks

Nov 1, 2012
cornfield
Ive been using ST sim on the cappy for about a year now, and while i live pretty far outside chicago, when I do get back there i do get great data connections with this phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, update time.

Straight Talk SIM came yesterday. I spent about 10 min setting up the phone, it took about an hour to port my old AT&T number over and its working like a champ.

They provide you with all the APN settings you will need. There is one thing I noticed though, and this happened on ATT as well. That is, if you put a proxy address in your APN settings, speedtest chokes on the data transfer sections of the test. If you take it out, it works fine. Either way, with or without you can browse the web just fine. Not sure what the conflict is there but there you have it.

Speeds are the same as they were yesterday here at work with AT&T(Same network, no surprise there) and everything works. Voice/MMS/Web.

I had unlocked my Captivate while I was back on GB, but I had ordered the AT&T sim and not the 'Unlocked Phone' one. I'm not sure if there is a difference or not. I have read that some people say that the phone doesn't need to be unlocked to use one of the sims, but I can't verify that.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

There's been a law for several years now that prohibits carriers from holding numbers hostage.

My issue with this was that my number was on our corporate account. It ported just fine though, although you do need the corporate account number, which I had since I was in charge of the phones here.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Well howd it go. Is 3g working now with that sim u bought online?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

I get so so speeds here at work, generally 1.5mb down and 800k or so up, I tested with the AT&T sim yesterday and got about that, got the same speed today with the ST sim.

Edit: I'm having a good signal day here apparently:

163088606.png
    Straight Talk only supports GPRS data, so not really useful for a smartphone.
    Also totally wrong!

Seriously, where is all this nonsense coming from?
    Straight Talk is on three different networks (yes, T-Mobile also, in some parts!) overlapping all over the country... Your experience in one place isn't representative of the entire coverage.

This guy wasn't on GPRS.
    The settings from Joe worked perfectly for the SIM from my girlfriends 6790. However, this has me a bit scared:

From their ToS

Read that too. Hasn't stopped me or countless others. All good things must end. Ill worry when it happens.
    straight talk on captivate

i just finished my captivate on straight talk unlimited plan,it was super easy,i called at&t and got the unlock code but i didnt even need it,just put the SIM in and started working...but i didnt have internet or multimedia messages,but i found a video on youtube that shows how to change the APN on it and now im running 3G with internet no problems. it wont let me post links but search youtube for iphone on straight talk and its a video by newyorkerkid95. the first half of the video is about using straight talk on the iphone but he shows at the end how to change the APN and get your data and 3G working.