HTC one si 2gb ram DDR3 not DDR2

Search This thread

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
OP is saying HTC's site has lpddr2 listed as a typo, and it actually comes with lpddr3 because it's all the 600 series comes with.

Hope he is right..

crea78

Jan 17, 2011
Charlotte, NC
If someone who has used a demo unit in a retail store, is there a way to check under the Settings menu if it is DDR2 or DDR3?

paorpas

Jan 31, 2011
isnt the point of this thread that MAYBE the phone uses ddr3 and not ddr2 as HTC have said?

because the chip only comes with ddr3?

This chip is manufactured by Qualcomm and come directly only with ddr3, G Optimus Pro also comes with ddr3 and I doubt they bothered to put ddr2 deliberately on purpose, creating only a lower chip for htc one

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
Chances are it's just a typo on HTC's website, if im honest I wouldn't exactly trust 'technical support'... it'll be staffed by regular office workers who follow guides and refer anything complex further up the chain.

If you notice all the HTC person says is 'Refer to what our website says' rather than confirming for definite.

Reactions: dmarco

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
This chip is manufactured by Qualcomm and come directly only with ddr3, G Optimus Pro also comes with ddr3 and I doubt they bothered to put ddr2 deliberately on purpose, creating only a lower chip for htc one

The DRAM does not come directly from Qualcomm, but is integrated onto the logic board, designed by HTC, using Package on package (PoP). The supplier could be Samsung, Hynix or one of the other big DRAM suppliers. Qualcomm have announced support for both LPDDR2 & LPDDR3 on their Snapdragon 400. Maybe HTC support / website is wrong, the only way to know is when ifixit does a teardown of the HTC One.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/20/qualcomm-reveals-snapdragontm-400-and-200-processors

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
The DRAM does not come directly from Qualcomm, but is integrated onto the logic board, designed by HTC, using Package on package (PoP). The supplier could be Samsung, Hynix or one of the other big DRAM suppliers. Qualcomm have announced support for both LPDDR2 & LPDDR3 on their Snapdragon 400. Maybe HTC support / website is wrong, the only way to know is when ifixit does a teardown of the HTC One.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/20/qualcomm-reveals-snapdragontm-400-and-200-processors

Yup...

I think we need someone who has some clout with HTC (engadget, etc.) to ask them to confirm if it is LPDDR2 or LPDDR3.

Despite the claims that we shouldn't fret over 2 vs 3, I feel that a 7fps difference does warrant investigating this matter.

paorpas

Jan 31, 2011

Phil Nickinson confirms ddr3

Reactions: skg22086

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
Having seen a Youtube video of a Geekbench run on a HTC One, I compared it to the Nexus 4, which uses a Qualcomm S4 Pro with LPDDR2 memory, in the Stream test, which measures memory bandwidth, both devices score very close to each other. If the HTC One did use LPDDR3, it should be scoring much higher in that test, in theory up to 50% faster. From those tests, I now believe that HTC's website is correct and it uses LPDDR2.

HTC One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zMZVu-Ln7C0

Nexus 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSF5RQht3d0

Stream performance: Stream workloads measure memory bandwidth. Geekbench 2 uses tests based on the STREAM benchmarks developed John D. McCalpin. Software working with large amounts of data (e.g., digital content creation) relies on good memory bandwidth performance to keep the processor busy.

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
hamdir which is your opinión about ddr2 or ddr3 please ?

thanks

No opinion until I get my hands on clean lab quality benchmarks from anandtech, like I said I'm currently concerned about the GPU results since we were promised a faster Adreno 320 but its too early to draw conclusions

It's all Turbo's fault he is too pessimistic when it comes to these things ;) but he can come around ;)

Last edited:

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal
If it turns out they actually do in fact only use lpddr2 in this phone, it's going to be a huge disappointment. As a company, you go all out to make an epic phone to; in the end, not get it quite right...that is just disappointing to me. This is a flagship, settling for less especially like this in the RAM department is just not acceptable IMO.

Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Dissappointment? Wow! On the past I never really heard techies bash computers when the DDR3 RAM was announced. Currently I am using a 4GB DDR2 RAM on a windows 7 ultimate on my PC and I could run Crysis 3 on my PC without any hiccups or lags.

Looks like most of the people on the web nowadays are always looking at the numbers. Where bigger is better. They never even consider that all the current softwares available for android couldn't even peak the max bandwidth of the DDR1 except the benchmarks.

Does even 50% of the users here complaining about the DDR2 and DDR3 stuff know what they are suppose to be and what they are and how they can contribute to the performance of a system without searching it's definition on the likes of google search?

Last edited:
Reactions: dmarco

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Dissappointment? Wow! On the past I never really heard techies bash computers when the DDR3 RAM was announced. Currently I am using a 4GB DDR2 RAM on a windows 7 ultimate on my PC and I could run Crysis 3 on my PC without any hiccups or lags.

Looks like most of the people on the web nowadays are always looking at the numbers. Where bigger is better. They never even consider that all the current softwares available for android couldn't even peak the max bandwidth of the DDR1 except the benchmarks.

Does even 50% of the users here complaining about the DDR2 and DDR3 stuff know what they are suppose to be and what they are and how they can contribute to the performance of a system without searching it's definition on the likes of google search?

Wrong...

There are many games on android which stress the system. As it stands almost every game runs better on IOS, and no its not because its IOS, its because the hardware is top spec.

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal

Umm, dude, think about it, we're going to be playing games on these phones at 1080p. I think it's kinda relevant.... The quicker RAM will benefit the GPU at this resolution, not having it is just dumb for a flagship IMO.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Umm, dude, think about it, we're going to be playing games on these phones at 1080p. I think it's kinda relevant.... The quicker RAM will benefit the GPU at this resolution, not having it is just dumb for a flagship IMO.

Games and screen display are all handled by the GPU and there's a dedicated shared memory alotted for the GPU alone so they're really different

And BTW like I said I also have a DDR2 RAM and can play crysis 3 on it on high settings. And if you are worried about the 1080p display then here's my PC's display for you to compare. that's almost 1080p

attachment.php

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Of course not, but if you have been using an HTC device since their WM days, you just cannot help but be frustrated.

If you find me a single HTC device that didn't have 1 flaw I will be amazed. When I say flaw, I don't mean crappier screen, or crap speaker quality. I mean:

1. No LED flash (when previous model had it)
    2. No LED indicator (when previous model had it)
    3. 512 MB less ram then competition (or 1gb less in the case of the One X)

I could go on and on... none of these have been deal breaking, but they are not so insignificant that we can easily ignore it. After all these generations of devices, I cannot help but agree with some people who say that HTC does this on purpose.

Funny thing is... I have made this complaint on the forum for every device they have released since the DHD. They were notorious for this during the WM days, then they improved. But as soon as the Sensation came out... it was another lackluster device.

Then the One X with 1 GB of ram?!?

Now the HTC One with DDR2 instead of DD3.

I'll reiterate: This isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially because I know HTC is better then this.
    isnt the point of this thread that MAYBE the phone uses ddr3 and not ddr2 as HTC have said?

because the chip only comes with ddr3?
    i send a email for htc asking which its corret ddr2 or ddr3
    AW: HTC one si 2gb ram DDR3 not DDR2

Well yes but even if he has it in his hands he can't tell, it's not written anywhere

But u can ask him to run a GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) test, on a full battery, no power saving and a clean run (just this test standalone) :D

Well he is the one who is responsible for pr stuff for htc Germany. I get my HTC One from him later.

I can ask him to do a benchmark, not sure if he will do that.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Asked for the clarification of ddr2 or ddr3 and asked for the benchmark result when you run it without any influence of previous benchmarks.

AW: HTC one si 2gb ram DDR3 not DDR2

So when we will have the resoulds? Thanks:fingers-crossed:

Whenever I get a response. Usually within the next 2 days if he does it.

Yea as far as customer support goes, you could probably have asked your magic 8 ball and got an equally reliable answer.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2