[GUIDE][LGV30]Unlocking and Rooting - TWRP/Magisk Step-by-Step

Search This thread

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
This should take you from the LG "Unlock Bootloader" form through to a fully-functional rooted TWRP'd device. This process wasn't quite as well documented as I would like, so I decided to take a shot at it. I don't guarantee any of this; it's all at your own risk. All props should go to those who went first. I merely got lost trying to follow and so built a map.

Ideally you want an “external” microSD card for this.
This also assumes you have already filled out the LG form and received the unlock.bin file. If not, retrieve it from LG using the tricks in this thread.

You also will want the twrp-3.1.1-0-h930.img image or the US998 TWRP unofficial alpha based on it. (They're the same except for a properties file change.)

And you need the Android development tools installed. I'm assuming you've done that.

1. Back up everything. It’s all going away.
2. If running Android Studio or Helium Desktop, shut it down. Otherwise you may see adb version issues.
a. Side-note: Don’t trust Helium to let you restore your data. Look for “Helium ceases to recognize backups” at https://github.com/koush/support-wiki/wiki/Helium-Wiki - It’s simply the wrong tool for this job.

3. Before you begin, copy the following files to your External SD Card. Otherwise you’ll have to do it later or attempt an adb sideload:
4. Ensure you’re in developer mode. If Settings doesn’t have Developer Options, go to Settings – About Phone – Software Info, click Build number 7 times.

5. As per the LG page, http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev , ensure Developer Options “OEM Unlock” and “USB Debugging” are enabled.

6. Connect to USB and switch to Photo Transfer Mode. (If you’re a normal user, you probably default to USB. You need Photo.)

7. On your PC, copy the unlock.bin file LG emailed you into your Android development tools directory (in my screenshots, sdk\platform-tools), and run:
adb devices
to ensure the device (and only the device) is listed. If it’s not listed, verify that Photo Transfer mode.

attachment.php

8. Reboot phone into Fastboot mode
adb reboot bootloader
You should hear the Windows sounds of USB devices going and coming. And the phone has an odd screen.

9. From the same directory (Android tools),
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
This takes only a few seconds to run.

10. Reboot with:
fastboot reboot
You will get entirely different start-up screens than normal. Including a warning that your device cannot be checked for corruption. (and a reference to http://g.co/ABH)

Your phone has now been hard reset.

11. Go through the initial phone setup options, to get to Android. Switch USB to Photo Transfer again.

12. You can verify that it’s unlocked either from the Developer Options – OEM Unlock is no longer available because it’s already unlocked, or by:
attachment.php

Installing TWRP:
1. Switch back to developer mode, USB debugging. (OEM Unlock is now not selectable, because it's on permanently.)
2. Switch USB to Photo again; default is charging.
3. As before, on your PC from the Android tools directory,
adb reboot bootloader
4. Fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-h930.img
attachment.php

5. This part is tricky… read the whole thing before starting.
a. Turn OFF the phone, using the volume key to change from Restart at the top to “Power off”.
b. Disconnect the USB cable
c. Holding both the Volume-Down and Power button, turn phone on.
d. As soon as the LG logo appears, continue pressing “Down” but release and re-press Power. Continue holding both until a menu appears.
e. Select to erase all data. You will be asked this several times; keep saying “Yes”.
f. Eventually you will boot into TWRP.
6. Back up the system. This isn’t essential, but you’d be silly not to.
a. In TWRP, set system writable
b. Select “back up”. Note there’s no data, because that partition is encrypted.
c. Select the SD card (or USB; I use a micro SD card.)
d. Back it up. This will take around seven minutes.
7. Turn off data encryption and install stuff… all in TWRP:
a. Wipe Data – Factory Reset
b. Wipe Data – Format Partition
c. Install – set storage to the External SD
d. Install the Magisk zip
e. Install the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
f. Install the LG-rctd-disabler-1.0.zip; this reduces LG root checks, which may impede performance.
g. Reboot – to System
If booting fails with an encryption error, did you format (b above) the partition? If not, reinstall TWRP (except you don't need to backup again) and do both the wipe and format.

You will now have to set up the phone again, but should have root (via Magisk.)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 19,388
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 64,899
  • 3.png
    3.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 32,999
Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
EDIT: This has been added to the steps above.

_______

Good write up, but please add the "don't check root" file. It would go into the section where you flash the no verity file.

LG-rctd-disabler-1.0.zip
https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/lg-rctd-disabler/

Recently, we discovered a system module on many LG devices which scans for root access. Called*RCTD, the tool is activated whenever an LG phone running stock-based software has been rooted. This has led to device slowdowns (as the process never shuts down) and also has left some users feeling uneasy about it as well.

we can now disable this check with a simple application
A lot of people are already using it when flashing TWRP with the phone.

_____
ANOTHER EDIT:

After installing TWRP, it's a good idea to download TWRP Manager from the Play Store.

From that app, you can easily reboot into TWRP without doing the power/volume button dance. In the app's settings, change app start up screen to be reboot options. That way, every time you open the app, that's the immediate option you can choose.

Sent from my official carrier unlocked LG V30+ US998

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Is this safe for US998? Just asking since the TWRP file says it is for H930.
Yes. We're trying to get the V30 TWRP developer @jcadduonoto change the TWRP name and the description, but he's ignoring us right now. ;) It's compatible with US998. Been proven many times.

If the TWRP developer would edit the thread title, op, and even the file properties it would eliminate a lot of confusion. For instance, doesn't need show H930 when plugged into your PC in TWRP mode. I don't have an H930, I have US998. It could easily say "V30" or "JOAN" (the LG code name for this device).

It's just the H930/H930G was placed on LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list back in December. We're playing catch up to them.

Last edited:

vinniej

Nov 28, 2011
Colorado
Additional information - As the guide states, it uses Magisk however SuperSU also works fine for root.
Thanks @Wotta for the write-up.

Disclaimer : And yes...Understand with different root comes advantages / disadvantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChazzMatt

jcsww

Additional information - As the guide states, it uses Magisk however SuperSU also works fine for root.
Thanks @Wotta for the write-up.

Disclaimer : And yes...Understand with different root comes advantages / disadvantages.

That is good to know for anyone who doesn't like to use the one from the person who stole code from Chainfires hard work.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

al4d

Oct 10, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Do Wifi calling and HD voice and video work with the rooted US998? I have had the VS996 since late October and although I love the phone, I really miss having a rooted device (mostly for nandroid backups, but also for ad blocking).

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Does this work for the V300L?
Read paragraph #2 of the op:

This also assumes you have already filled out the LG form and received the unlock.bin file. If not, retrieve it from LG using the tricks in this thread.

Are you able to get bootloader unlock.bin from the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list website?

It's only for V30/V30+ that are eligible to do that.

I'm not being smart aleck. The US998 V30 is not officially listed as eligible (yet). But someone found a way to hack the dropdown list and still get US998 V30 unlock.bin. It works if you follow the right steps. The US998 V30+ SHOULD also work, but does not (yet).

So, the answer for you is probably no. But you'll have to try to get bootloader unlock.bin from the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock list website to know for sure.

Last edited:

tt-bert

Oct 22, 2014
Can't access TWRP

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem entering TWRP.
I unlocked my bootloader and "successfully" installed TWRP. But I can't get past step 5 (the tricky part). So after flashing TWRP I disconnect the phone from the PC and switch it off. Then as described in step 5 I access the part where I'm supposed to do the factory data reset. But once I hit yes for the second time the black-orange warning screen pops up immediately and after a few seconds the phone reboots to the normal software which is NOT completely reset.
So I just can't access the custom recovery TWRP no matter what I do or how often I try...

I would be very grateful for any help :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This should take you from the LG "Unlock Bootloader" form through to a fully-functional rooted TWRP'd device. This process wasn't quite as well documented as I would like, so I decided to take a shot at it. I don't guarantee any of this; it's all at your own risk. All props should go to those who went first. I merely got lost trying to follow and so built a map.

Ideally you want an “external” microSD card for this.

You also will want the twrp-3.1.1-0-h930.img image or the US998 TWRP unofficial alpha based on it. (They're the same except for a properties file change.)

And you need the Android development tools installed. I'm assuming you've done that.

1. Back up everything. It’s all going away.
    2. If running Android Studio or Helium Desktop, shut it down. Otherwise you may see adb version issues.
    a. Side-note: Don’t trust Helium to let you restore your data. Look for “Helium ceases to recognize backups” at https://github.com/koush/support-wiki/wiki/Helium-Wiki - It’s simply the wrong tool for this job.

3. Before you begin, copy the following files to your External SD Card. Otherwise you’ll have to do it later or attempt an adb sideload:
    4. Ensure you’re in developer mode. If Settings doesn’t have Developer Options, go to Settings – About Phone – Software Info, click Build number 7 times.

5. As per the LG page, http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev , ensure Developer Options “OEM Unlock” and “USB Debugging” are enabled.

6. Connect to USB and switch to Photo Transfer Mode. (If you’re a normal user, you probably default to USB. You need Photo.)

7. On your PC, copy the unlock.bin file LG emailed you into your Android development tools directory (in my screenshots, sdk\platform-tools), and run:
    adb devices
    to ensure the device (and only the device) is listed. If it’s not listed, verify that Photo Transfer mode.

attachment.php

8. Reboot phone into Fastboot mode
    adb reboot bootloader
    You should hear the Windows sounds of USB devices going and coming. And the phone has an odd screen.

9. From the same directory (Android tools),
    fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
    This takes only a few seconds to run.

10. Reboot with:
    fastboot reboot
    You will get entirely different start-up screens than normal. Including a warning that your device cannot be checked for corruption. (and a reference to http://g.co/ABH)

Your phone has now been hard reset.

11. Go through the initial phone setup options, to get to Android. Switch USB to Photo Transfer again.

12. You can verify that it’s unlocked either from the Developer Options – OEM Unlock is no longer available because it’s already unlocked, or by:
    attachment.php

Installing TWRP:
    1. Switch back to developer mode, USB debugging. (OEM Unlock is now not selectable, because it's on permanently.)
    2. Switch USB to Photo again; default is charging.
    3. As before, on your PC from the Android tools directory,
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. Fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-h930.img
    attachment.php

5. This part is tricky… read the whole thing before starting.
    a. Turn OFF the phone, using the volume key to change from Restart at the top to “Power off”.
    b. Disconnect the USB cable
    c. Holding both the Volume-Down and Power button, turn phone on.
    d. As soon as the LG logo appears, continue pressing “Down” but release and re-press Power. Continue holding both until a menu appears.
    e. Select to erase all data. You will be asked this several times; keep saying “Yes”.
    f. Eventually you will boot into TWRP.
    6. Back up the system. This isn’t essential, but you’d be silly not to.
    a. In TWRP, set system writable
    b. Select “back up”. Note there’s no data, because that partition is encrypted.
    c. Select the SD card (or USB; I use a micro SD card.)
    d. Back it up. This will take around seven minutes.
    7. Turn off data encryption and install stuff… all in TWRP:
    a. Wipe Data – Factory Reset
    b. Wipe Data – Format Partition
    c. Install – set storage to the External SD
    d. Install the Magisk zip
    e. Install the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
    f. Install the LG-rctd-disabler-1.0.zip; this reduces LG root checks, which may impede performance.
    g. Reboot – to System
    If booting fails with an encryption error, did you format (b above) the partition? If not, reinstall TWRP (except you don't need to backup again) and do both the wipe and format.

You will now have to set up the phone again, but should have root (via Magisk.)
    EDIT: This has been added to the steps above.

_______

Good write up, but please add the "don't check root" file. It would go into the section where you flash the no verity file.

LG-rctd-disabler-1.0.zip
    https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/lg-rctd-disabler/

Recently, we discovered a system module on many LG devices which scans for root access. Called*RCTD, the tool is activated whenever an LG phone running stock-based software has been rooted. This has led to device slowdowns (as the process never shuts down) and also has left some users feeling uneasy about it as well.

we can now disable this check with a simple application
    A lot of people are already using it when flashing TWRP with the phone.

_____
    ANOTHER EDIT:

After installing TWRP, it's a good idea to download TWRP Manager from the Play Store.

From that app, you can easily reboot into TWRP without doing the power/volume button dance. In the app's settings, change app start up screen to be reboot options. That way, every time you open the app, that's the immediate option you can choose.

First open market US998 custom ROM:

[ROM][US998] WETA 1.0 [10c][9th.Feb]

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3747290
    Oooh. Thanks :)
    So how do I do that. Never had an LG phone bevor, only Samsung und Sony. Could you please link me the respective thread?

Two different ways. These are both from the V30 TWRP thread:

LG UPPPERCUT
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/uppercut-lgup-loader-g5-variants-t3511295

UPPERCUT let me flash .kdz ;) thats why i could downgrade to V10f to flash twrp.img

LG BRIDGE
    Again had to reflash stock (10v) with lg Bridge after messing with boot when flashing magisk 15.
    Worked like a treat again flashing stock then twrp booting into twrp and flashing old data back.
    Everything works fine btw with magisk 15

When the TWRP dev @jcadduono, updates TWRP, this may no longer be necessary for the European H930. It's still classified as "alpha", and works but there's lot of improvements that can be made -- like changing the file properties so the phone doesn't identify as H930 when plugged into PC if you have a US998. ;) As well as not needing to downgrade to older firmware to install (for European variants)... Even changing the thread title and op to reflect US998 inclusion.
    Hi, I'm about to buy a sprint version (LS998U), this method should allow me to flash it as a US998 and use it on AT&T without dealing with a sprint unlock?
    Yes. I've bought two so far and used my AT&T SIM card in them.

You can also bootloader unlock and root if you wish -- but that's separate step from just the Frankenstein conversion/carrier unlock method. However this Frankenstein method is the first step of that process. You can stop there if you wish, and have a fully working carrier unlocked model US998 V30+ that will work on AT&T with an AT&T SIM card.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Are you able to unlock the bootloader on your "unlocked" V30+ now with the new method/exploit (i.e. WTF)? I think mine is the same one, I just got mine at best buy.
    Yes, all V30/V30+ -- EXCEPT for H932 T-Mobile -- can now be bootloader unlocked and rooted. Thanks to WTF LG Oreo bootloader unlock exploit discovered by @TxanMoe.

Since you already have a US998, you can skip straight to the bootloader unlock step.