Saint Paul, Minnesota
Here is the stock firmware including the firehose needed to flash it

B10 Firmware
Here

B12 Firmware
Here

ZPI file for ZTE SalesMultiDL tool
Here
Here is a step by step guide on how to flash the stock rom with QFIL and by extension any image.
  1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
  2. Download the firmware from above
  3. Extract the firmware to a folder that you can easily access them from like your desktop
  4. Download and install QPST from here
  5. Open the QFIL application (Find it in your start menu)
  6. In the "Select Build Type" field select Flat Build
  7. In the "Select Programmer" field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8917.mbn file
  8. Select the "Load XML" button and navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.
  9. Plug in your tablet
  10. Run the following adb command "adb reboot edl" (Now the screen should be blank but the led light should be red)
  11. If the text at the top of the QFIL application says "No Port Available" click the "Select Port..." option and pick your device. If your device isn't showing up there you didn't install the drivers properly.
  12. Click the Download Button to begin flashing your device

Last edited:

pegb856

Jan 29, 2007
Fort Wayne
I just got this device a couple days ago and was hoping I could use PDANet/Foxfi to connect more than one device at a time to wifi hotspot but they've evidently blocked the apps.. Do you have any insight to that?

deadman96385

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I just got this device a couple days ago and was hoping I could use PDANet/Foxfi to connect more than one device at a time to wifi hotspot but they've evidently blocked the apps.. Do you have any insight to that?

I don't own this device sadly just grabbed the firmware for a friend of mine and posted it here in case anyone in the future wants it.

Reactions: paulCIA

dud89

Aug 12, 2011
Using one of the hidden activities app from the play store. There is an option to change from LTE to 2G/3G/4G under one of the phone settings. But calling still did not work with either AT&T or T-Mobile.

FEGuy

Jan 22, 2011
Marquette, MI
Good Luck finding the A0722 firmware (that's the model androidpolice thinks this is a renamed version of).

Just a heads-up: even if you found the files for the A0722, you'd brick your R2 if you managed to flash them. The chassis and screen seem to be the same, but they're completely different specs-wise. Given that the A0722 has a different SoC and an eMMC chip 2-4x larger, I doubt you'd get real far in the flashing process in the first place.

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Just a heads-up: even if you found the files for the A0722, you'd brick your R2 if you managed to flash them. The chassis and screen seem to be the same, but they're completely different specs-wise. Given that the A0722 has a different SoC and an eMMC chip 2-4x larger, I doubt you'd get real far in the flashing process in the first place.

In my case my main goal was to use it and the factory software to learn about mbn files. I've dealt with LG's TOT and KDZ files but not the mbn's. Thanks for giving folks the warning though.

FEGuy

Jan 22, 2011
Marquette, MI
Would it be possible for someone to grab the download URL for whatever OTA update is available for the device? I don't think it's anything major but I'd like to poke around at it; the firmware uploaded here seems to be from launch.

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Would it be possible for someone to grab the download URL for whatever OTA update is available for the device? I don't think it's anything major but I'd like to poke around at it; the firmware uploaded here seems to be from launch.

I've got a logcat recorder queued up to be installed and will try to grab an url by starting the download. If that fails there are a couple of alternatives....someone who has DONE the upgrade could rip the rom and make it available if @deadman96385 can point to some instructions on how to rip the rom.

Also you can always let your own upgrade occur because he's already provided the original software and QFIL which would let you restore to original factory and get the update again.

As a last resort I can grab the log from my ROUTER that the phone is connected to and try to get the url that way which I've had to do with SOME devices.

FEGuy

Jan 22, 2011
Marquette, MI
I'll probably end up taking the OTA again anyways as I've been messing around with the firmware from the first post. Honestly, I'd really recommend staying away from flashing it without a good reason. Even when the flasher works, either the logging and/or the flasher hangs and it's close to impossible to tell which without unplugging your phone. If a partial flash leaves you in a state where you can't get to ADB to boot to EDL mode, you'll have to boot into diagnostics mode, use a piece of Chinese software to boot from there back to EDL, and within five seconds or so, close that software and start the flashing process from QFIL before the com port stops responding to requests, leaving you to reboot the phone and start again.

I've been trying to get non-LTE networks and calling working, but it's entirely impossible to tell whether my tweaks are having unintended side effects or if the flashing just crapped out partway through, even when I'm just flashing single partitions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: This guide is outdated - see this thread for up-to-date instructions.

Guide: Getting TWRP on the Visible R2
    Disclaimer: this is a work-in-progress and things will probably go wrong. I take no responsibility for bricked phones, lost data, etc. By following this guide you acknowledge the risks that these steps entail. Your warranty is probably void. Always make a backup of your files first.

What you need:
    prog_emmc_firehose8917.mbn (included in b10 firmware or attached a few posts below; not included in b12)
    A stock firmware package
    TWRP built for the R2
    ADB (Linux users can install it through their package manager)
    Windows users will also need to install QFIL and the drivers from the first post before starting.

Instructions
    For Windows and Linux:
    0) Unzip the TWRP zip to an easily-accessible (and preferably empty) directory. You can discard the META-INF folder - it's only useful for flashing TWRP from inside TWRP.

1) Open up the firmware build you downloaded from the first post. All you'll need at the moment is the prog_emmc_firehose_8917.mbn, but it wouldn't hurt to keep the stock files handy. Place the firehose in the same folder as the TWRP image and its XML files.

2)Open ADB (or a terminal window) on your PC and enable USB debugging on your phone. Reboot the phone into EDL mode via adb:
    Code:
    adb reboot edl

For Windows:
    3) Download and set up QFIL as described in the first post. Open QFIL.
    4) Select Flat Build, press the Select Programmer button, then navigate to the TWRP folder and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8917.mbn.
    5) Press the Load XML button, selecting rawprogram_recovery.xml first, then patch0.xml.
    6) If QFIL prompts you to select an available port, do so with the Select Port button. Unless you have another phone connected in diagnostics or EDL mode, there should only be one option available.
    7) Click the download button and wait for it to finish. If there's some sort of error, post it here so someone can help sort it out. Otherwise, reboot your phone when the download finishes.

For Linux users:
    3) Download qdl. If your distro supports Snap packages, this is pretty painless.
    Code:
    sudo snap install qdl
    The snap version doesn't seem to work, sorry.
    3a) If your distro doesn't have snap support, compiling qdl is also simple enough:
    Download or clone the source code for qdl and open a terminal window in the directory it's extracted to.
    You may need to install libudev and libxml2 to compile, and perhaps more if you don't already have build tools set up on your machine. Assuming most people reading this will be using a Ubuntu-based distro:
    Code:
     sudo apt install libudev-dev libxml2-dev
    That should be enough to compile! Assuming you're in the directory with the Makefile, installing the program should be a breeze:
    Code:
    make && sudo make install
    If nothing fails, you should be able to run qdl.

4) ModemManager might be running on your machine, which will likely cause qdl to hang at 'Waiting for EDL device'. Stop the service for now; you can restart it later if you need to.
    Code:
     sudo systemctl stop ModemMangager
    5) Navigate to the folder where the image, firehose, and XML files are stored. If qdl is installed properly, one command is all you need to flash your device:
    Code:
    sudo qdl prog_emmc_firehose_8917.mbn rawprogram_recovery.xml patch0.xml
    6) That's it! If everything goes as expected, the device should reboot in a minute or two.

Now that TWRP is installed (successfully, hopefully), you should be able to boot into it by holding the Vol Up key while starting/rebooting the phone, or over adb by sending the 'adb reboot recovery' command. From here, you can backup and restore as you please, flash zip files, and enter a root shell for modifying files on system partitions.

Note that on startup, TWRP might freeze for a minute as it tries to decrypt the data partition. TWRP doesn't know the encryption password for this device and will not be able to mount or back up an encrypted data partition. If you want to disable forced encryption, download this and follow the steps below, but keep in mind that the partition will stay encrypted until it's wiped.
    Open a terminal in the same folder as the fstab.qcom file you downloaded. You'll want to have your phone in recovery mode and connected for ADB. Back up the vendor partition in TWRP first, then run the following commands, one line at a time.
    Code:
    adb shell mount /vendor
    adb pull /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom fstab.qcom.bak
    adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    adb shell chmod 644 /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom
    adb shell umount /vendor
    This will back up the original fstab, replace it with one that doesn't force encryption on the phone's data partition, make sure the permissions are set properly, then unmount the volume. If anything goes wrong, you can restore the backup of the partition you made, or restore just the fstab by renaming fstab.qcom.bak to fstab.qcom and following the above steps.

If ADB or MTP don't work properly in recovery, press Mount and toggle the Disable MTP button. This seems to happen on boots where TWRP tried and failed to decrypt data.

If your phone starts bootlooping, boot into TWRP and boot to system from the button there. This seems to happen every once in a while when modifying system partitions, and honestly I'm not sure what the cause is. If all else fails, restore the stock boot.img.
    Here is the stock firmware including the firehose needed to flash it

B10 Firmware
    Here

B12 Firmware
    Here

ZPI file for ZTE SalesMultiDL tool
    Here
    Here is a step by step guide on how to flash the stock rom with QFIL and by extension any image.
    1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
    2. Download the firmware from above
    3. Extract the firmware to a folder that you can easily access them from like your desktop
    4. Download and install QPST from here
    5. Open the QFIL application (Find it in your start menu)
    6. In the "Select Build Type" field select Flat Build
    7. In the "Select Programmer" field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8917.mbn file
    8. Select the "Load XML" button and navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.
    9. Plug in your tablet
    10. Run the following adb command "adb reboot edl" (Now the screen should be blank but the led light should be red)
    11. If the text at the top of the QFIL application says "No Port Available" click the "Select Port..." option and pick your device. If your device isn't showing up there you didn't install the drivers properly.
    12. Click the Download Button to begin flashing your device
    So for anyone who wants root, Magisk works fine up to 16.7 from about a year ago. Just flash it through TWRP, but be warned that it'll probably corrupt /data on install and force you to factory reset; you can wipe or format /data from TWRP. Even when it installs properly, it might reboot once right before hitting the home or setup screen, so don't freak out.
    ZOPXQsV.jpg
    QxG58rS.jpg

Newer versions of Magisk (17.0 and higher, from what I've tested) will cause endless boot loops. I suspect it's something similar to the ZTE Axon 7, where the stock kernel requires patching to work with newer versions of Magisk, so I guess that's something else to work on.
    Here is the Stock wallpapers in case anyone wants them
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397903558
    z2fpxFn.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere.