[OFFICIAL][GUIDE] Starting with Substratum! - Andromeda, Samsung, Pie & OMS!

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the guide!
Could I make a couple suggestions?

1) Explain what profiles are. A quick Google search didn't really tell me about it.

2) Tell difference between uninstall vs clean.

3) Advise how to uninstall and clean all overlays.

4) Let us know how to automatically toggle from one theme to another (such as day/night theme)?

JonasVFC

Sep 20, 2009
do i need andromeda if i have root? i had a warning about using substratum with root at the start of the app, telling it makes things slow...

do i need andromeda if i have root? i had a warning about using substratum with root at the start of the app, telling it makes things slow...

No you don't "need" it but it can making installing overlays faster. Only thing it does with root. Root isn't always stable either, I've seen it ask to install Andromeda because I lost root to subs. Magisk issue not subs though.

bohrabhijeet

Oct 24, 2016
Mumbai
1. Profiles are like backup & restore, you can create profiles and use whichever one you like. For eg: If I want to apply nineteen's theme in the day and Sai's Oreo Theme at night, I can easily switch between both by using profiles for the same.

2. Uninstall and Clean are more or less, the same. Both of them uninstall your installed overlays.

3. Refer 2. ^

4. As I said in 1. and also explained in the profiles' section. Folloe the guide and you're good to go! :D

Thanks for the guide!
Could I make a couple suggestions?

1) Explain what profiles are. A quick Google search didn't really tell me about it.

2) Tell difference between uninstall vs clean.

3) Advise how to uninstall and clean all overlays.

4) Let us know how to automatically toggle from one theme to another (such as day/night theme)?

Last edited:

AriesBlue82

Jun 25, 2018
Port Charlotte
Android P Beta

Can this be used with the beta of Android P? Im currently using a non rooted Pixel XL so if it can I'm assuming I would follow the non Samsung Oreo instructions? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited:

RicJames

Apr 26, 2012
Hi. are there themes/overlays the notification drawer? I have Samsung themes but so far none of the themes I've tried support the notification drawer.

Hi. are there themes/overlays the notification drawer? I have Samsung themes but so far none of the themes I've tried support the notification drawer.

Depends, On Oreo yes many themes do. Nougat there are some issues but can be themed mostly.

Screenshot is Oreo, theme: Sprite but there are many themes for Samsung now, Valerie, Victory, Flux, Swift..etc etc

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
note 8, not rooted, t mobile, themes and everything were working great, and now, no themes work any longer; I uninstalled all themes/substratum/andromeda, and still themes wont fully install. I go through the process, overlays appear to install, but then the final overlay, usually substratum, takes a very long time to process, then the inevitable error message, and reading the logchar, its usally an overlay or 2 that are a problem. after rebooting and trying again

to install a theme, and skipping the "bad" overlay, still ends up with an error, and theme doesnt install or apply..
Using Substatum 997..
weird how things were fine for a long time, and just stopped working

thanks for any help!

note 8, not rooted, t mobile, themes and everything were working great, and now, no themes work any longer; I uninstalled all themes/substratum/andromeda, and still themes wont fully install. I go through the process, overlays appear to install, but then the final overlay, usually substratum, takes a very long time to process, then the inevitable error message, and reading the logchar, its usally an overlay or 2 that are a problem. after rebooting and trying again

to install a theme, and skipping the "bad" overlay, still ends up with an error, and theme doesnt install or apply..
Using Substatum 997..
weird how things were fine for a long time, and just stopped working

thanks for any help!

Helped you in other thread

jide1

Oct 30, 2015
kharkiv
i used swift black substratum theme , when i first applied overlays everything worked , but for some reason i decided to uninstall them , later i decided to use again , but the second time , i cannot get the phone dialer theme changed although it worked the first time , what can be the issue ? all other overlays are working , using asus zenfone max pro M1 (ZB602KL) Android 8.1

i used swift black substratum theme , when i first applied overlays everything worked , but for some reason i decided to uninstall them , later i decided to use again , but the second time , i cannot get the phone dialer theme changed although it worked the first time , what can be the issue ? all other overlays are working , using asus zenfone max pro M1 (ZB602KL) Android 8.1
Contact theme dev it may have updated on you, not a Substratum issue though bud.

MrBaracu

Jun 24, 2018
Layers Manager is the old app for Marshmallow right? But layers is no more and the disciption for layers say

Be aware: Layers Manager is deprecated and is going to be fully replaced by Substratum, our new theme engine app. If you are on Marshmallow or a newer android version please install Substratum.
If i go to substratum nothing say its for Marshmallow. How can i theme stock Marshmallow now please?

GuinnessX

Jan 4, 2014
DC
Google Pixel 6
Depends, On Oreo yes many themes do. Nougat there are some issues but can be themed mostly.

Screenshot is Oreo, theme: Sprite but there are many themes for Samsung now, Valerie, Victory, Flux, Swift..etc etc

Hey DJ,

Is it possible to get notifications like that with a non-rooted Samsung? I still have plenty of black text (but also some white) on my S7 Active, so the only option I have found is to use Sprite's smoked backgrounds...

Thanks,
David

Hey DJ,

Is it possible to get notifications like that with a non-rooted Samsung? I still have plenty of black text (but also some white) on my S7 Active, so the only option I have found is to use Sprite's smoked backgrounds...

Thanks,
David
On nougat no, they didn't expose everything until Oreo. Which is why I'm using an S9+. Had to have Oreo.

Side note.....
Sprite on Samsung nougat? You brave! Lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's get ready and theme devices with Substratum!

Hey there! I'm Abhijeet, Substratum's Public Relations and Community Connections Manager, writing this noob-friendly guide so that you can easily theme your device.
    Here is the full official guide on using Substratum and some important recovery methods for various situations.

Theme Engine Support:

Table of Contents
    1. Theming AOSP [ROOT]
    2. Using Profiles
    3. Theming Rootless AOSP with Andromeda
    4. Theming Rootless Samsung with Andromeda (Sungstromeda)
    5. Recovering from various situations
    6. Different colors for overlays in Manager
    7. Theming Android Pie [ROOT]
    8. Theming Samsung OneUI devices using Synergy theme engine

Please do note, this IS for beginners, so I'll try and respond to errors and problems only if and when you have read and followed the whole thread. I'll be going over the BASICS of getting started to theme.

If you're still facing errors, please head over to our support chats hub - Substratum on Telegram

Contributors:
    @nicholaschum
    @InFlames03
    @djdarkknight96
    Mihail Mihov
    Theming Android Pie [ROOT]

Theming Android Pie:

• Use the latest version of Substratum.
    • Make sure the theme you're using supports Pie.
    • Select the overlays you wish to install
    • Select Build & Update from the FAB
    • Reboot your device
    • Open Substratum and go to Manager
    • Select the overlays you built earlier
    • Enable selected from the FAB
    Requirements:
    Rooted device running on Android Pie.

NOTE:
    • You'll not be able to apply themes on non-rooted Android Pie because Google blocked custom overlays since March Security patch.
    • DO NOT install Andromeda or you won't be able to proceed after the splash screen.
    • If you're using any magisk module(s), disable module(s) and reboot, build overlays, enable magisk module followed by another reboot and enable overlays.
    Theming Samsung OneUI using Synergy theme engine

Theming Samsung OneUI using Synergy:
    • Download and install Synergy and Substratum Lite apps from Play Store
    • Open Synergy and tap on Add overlays » Select Substratum Lite
    • From Substratum Lite app select supported OneUI Theme and select overlays.
    • Click on the FAB and select Install
    • After it is imported to Synergy, tap on the FAB and it'll prompt you to download a Samsung theme. Tap ‘Download’ and switch to Synergy and build follow the procedure to install the overlays.
    • After the building of overlays is complete, reboot your phone.
    • Open Samsung themes select the theme that install from Synergy and apply.
    • Some of the themes require dark mode for theme to work properly. For that go back to Synergy > Menu > Dark mode settings and enable it.
    • Reboot your device again.
    • Enjoy the theme!
    Recovering from various situations:

Recovering from various situations:

Crashes occurring due to wrongly applied overlays:
    • Open Substratum
    • Go to Manager
    • Select the app overlay
    • Tap the floating action button and select Disable selected
    NOTE: If you apply more than 1 overlay on the same target, your device/System UI may crash.
    In another case, you will either have to update the theme or the app that you wish to theme.

System bootloop; How to regain control?

Unrooted users:
    • Open the folder where you have all the Andromeda files and open a command prompt there
    • Connect your device to your computer
    • Write adb devices and make sure your device shows up there (it’ll show a string of random characters), then device after that
    • NOTE: If your device doesn’t show up make sure you have your OEM’s drivers installed
    • Type adb shell cmd overlay list and this will show you all your installed overlays. The ones with [x] in front are enabled.
    • The problematic overlays will be SystemUI (com.android.systemui.<ThemeName>...) and Android System (android.<ThemeName>...) overlays. You can disable them with adb shell cmd overlay disable <package name of the overlay>

NOTE: If you are a Substratum service (aka Sysserv) mode unrooted user you will have to download ADB and your OEM’s drivers and do the same as Andromeda users from step 2.

Rooted users with access to a custom recovery:
    • Boot into your custom recovery
    • Flash the zip located at sdcard/substratum/SubstratumRescue.zip
    • This will disable all your overlays and prevent from bootloop
    Theming AOSP [ROOT]

Theming AOSP [ROOT]

• Open the Substratum App
    • Select the theme you wish to apply
    • Select your Android version from the dropdown list
    • Select the overlays you want to apply
    • Tap the floating action button in the bottom right corner and select Build and Enable

NOTE: If you are on the March 2018 security patch (or newer) you will have to do the following:
    • Tap Build & Update (this will not enable overlays, just build them)
    • Reboot your device
    • Go to the Manager, select the overlays, and tap Enable Selected
    • After your overlays are enabled, your SystemUI will restart