[GUIDE] G2 spring replacement...updated now with tutorial!!!

Search This thread

Stunherald

Mar 31, 2012
2 Mecmatt: Thanks for the tip !!!

Can please anyone check it this spring can be used?

spr2.PNG
(click to full size)

Thanks!

kgforce

Mar 14, 2012
UPDATE: My GPS doesn't work anymore!

A followup to my previous post... I replace the springs in my and the missus' G2, and I even replaced her cracked screen.

Went on a trip a couple of weeks later and realized my GPS no longer works. My wife's works fine.

I just opened my G2 up again to see if anything was loose, reconnected everything. Still no GPS. Ugh.

Can anyone describe or show me what the GPS connector, antenna, or some other part of the GPS that I might have dislocated inadvertently?

mario.a

Apr 7, 2008
Federn übrig/ Springs left over

Hi all,

i just got my springs today and changed it plus replaced my broken LCD.
Now everything is fine :D

I have springs left. If anyone, in europe especially in germany is interested pleas send me an PN.
I bought some more to avoid extrapayment for less pieces

Greetz

mario

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Hi all,

i just got my springs today and changed it plus replaced my broken LCD.
Now everything is fine :D

I have springs left. If anyone, in europe especially in germany is interested pleas send me an PN.

Greetz

mario

And soon a mod will sweep down lol. Can't "auction" things up without being a senior member and being in the market place.

Fl0w.

Nov 15, 2011
Searching a spring

im searching a spring in germany. mario ignores my PNs :<
if anyone else is having a spring left in europe, please contact me. :)

mr.pnutt

Nov 13, 2010
FunkyTown, TX
I'm just posting an update since my spring replacement last year and I can honestly say that my hinge still no longer sag/hang when my phone is hanging upside down. For those that are afraid to give this a try I say go for it cause it really makes a difference. Thx to the OP of this tread/video it's exactly what I needed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

Reactions: Fl0w.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
I love this mod. I'm wondering if you can use springs from pens? Looks very similar.

Ordered the springs from McMaster-Carr anyway.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
if you found one the right size and spring tension. the orginal purpose of the spring won't matter so long you get the proper type

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Already got the springs in the mail and installed it. Holy crap that is one quick delivery. I did have to cut the spring a big smaller just to fit though. The spring is strong, probably too strong though. Opening it isn't a big deal but closing it is a bit difficult. Otherwise a huge improvement from the way it was. It certainly won't accidentally open on it's own.

Blaggah

Feb 27, 2009
BeanTown
Definitely, my screen was kind of wobbly with the stock spring. When I changed to this magnificant ultra-compression spring from my link above, my screen if as stiff as can be. My opinon get it.

I'd love to do the same but i'm not too sure which of the springs is the right one from the link. Could you somehow mention which of the springs is the correct one? Thanks.

spiritoaspro

Aug 13, 2012
I also need a spring for my Desire Z, I've lost it and I need a new one. The problem is that I'm in Italy so they won't accept my order. Someone can help me?

Last edited:

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
ALL SPRINGS SOLD.
I have 4 springs and void stickers left over (3 (31lb) springs and 1 (25lb) spring, i used the 25lb spring but had to cut it down a bit, the hinge was perfect till the day I sold the phone, July 2012 ). I originally purchased the same springs that Jchap808 used in his g2, but ended up installing 25lb compression rated springs. So if you are interested let me know via PM or post here. Willing to ship to Europe but recipient must pay shipping charges.

edit: I also have the original spring than came with my g2 (untouched)

Attachments

• IMG_20120814_010026.jpg
    IMG_20120814_010026.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20120814_010756.jpg
    IMG_20120814_010756.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Steven How

Apr 14, 2011
Where can I buy that spring used by OP and the prying tool in local store?? Does hardware shop sell these spring?? Which spring u would recommand??:confused:

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1wk review.
    So here's a review vid of the springs i just installed. any questions, feel free to ask.
    SPRINGS- http://www.mcmaster.com/#9001t14/=bjgjja

due to requests I have created a tutorial on how to install the spring.
    PRT1&2-
    I THINK IM THE FIRST TO POST A WHOLE TUTORIAL ON IT. BUT YEAH ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
    Recently bought my second g2 from craigslist and it's hinge was MUCH looser than my original g2. Bought this spring and followed the tutorial video. It was pretty easy and the phone feels 1,000,000 times better.

Thanks a lot for figuring this out :)

Oh.. if any of our international friends would like me to send one of the remaining two out to you, just let me know.

Dan
    just got my springs and put one in.

i went with the 4.12N/mm (23.5lbs/inch) at 11.2mm (0.44") length.
    its really strong, can't imagine any need for an even stronger one.

still got one of these and two 9.65mm @ 4.85N/mm lying around (berlin).

and finally i'm able to tell everybody the exact length, width and approximate rate of the original spring ;)

length: 9.5mm (0.374inch)
    diameter: 3.2mm (0.126inch)
    rate: ~1.4N/mm (8lbs/inch)

hope this helps other people deciding which one to get.
    That's awesome, a how to video would be incredible and I will definitely consider getting one of these springs
    Where can I buy that spring used by OP and the prying tool in local store?? Does hardware shop sell these spring?? Which spring u would recommand??:confused:

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda app-developers app

I ordered it from the link in the 1st post . The 31 lb spring used by the OP (product # 9001T14) and the 26lb spring used by me (i actually used the 25lb one but they dont carry it anymore). I would go with the 302 Stainless steel springs 26lb spring 3 for $6.62. Ctrl F and find this product # 9002T14. Just make sure to cut the spring a bit. If you want I will send you a 31lb spring and the 25lb spring i have left over, just pay for postage. Here is a link to the pry tools