SmartProtect Anti-Theft Software with SMS Auto-Responder and MortScript support

Search This thread

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
IMPORTANT.. CHECK ON THE FIRST PAGE FOR UPDATES.

WARNING : This software has some pretty powerful features so use at your own risk. Importantly, please read the instructions below.

Hi guys.

This is my first software using .NETCF for Windows Mobile Phone. I know this software is peanuts compared to what is out there, but I wish this would be useful to all of you as well. This software helps you track and recover your phone once stolen or lost. Features includes :

1. A Thief or Lost Prevention Software with SMS Auto-Responder and GPS Capability created for Windows Mobile Devices.

2. When you forget your phone and can''t remember where you put it, you can SMS your phone to get the exact location via GPS information if your phone has GPS Capability or approximate location based on Cell Location.

3. You can SMS your phone for other information such as IMSI, IMEI or even remotely reboot your phone etc.

4. This software is also equipped with Thief Prevention system which will automatically SMS your partner phone number if the SIM has been changed against the registered SIM.

5. This software supports registration of Multiple SIM Cards and of Multiple Phone Conctacts as Partners.

6. When your phone has been stolen, it will automatically SMS relevant information such as IMEI, SIM Card Number or IMSI, GPS Location if supported or Cell Location.

7. It is able to also auto-delete Phone Memory Contacts if the phone has been stolen.

8. It is password protected and the password is encrypted with AES-Encryption.

9. Its un-install proof. It requires special procedure to uninstall the protection, so even if you uninstall it, it is still working.

10. It has MortScript support.

You need atleast .NETCF 2.0 for this app to work (which most Windows Mobile has so not to worry).

Note that Cell Location depends on your device. It should be working but the problem is not all devices interfaces with RIL functionality so it may or may not work.

For testing, kindly use Emulation Mode to determine if the application will work on your phone before using these features :

1. Make Phone Unusable
2. Protected Folders
3. Delete Contacts on SIM Change

Emulation mode will run the protection, however on test mode only and not real mode. Therefore, it will just produce a log file to tell you of the action it is supposed to make (however since its a test mode, it does not do that action). If everything is fine, make sure that after testing, to disable the emulation mode.

This was only tested on GSM-based phones. If you have Non-GSM Based phone, and you want to try it out, kindly do and let me know.

This software also can accept SMS Commands from the partner phone so that it can return informations as commanded by you explicitly. Here are the SMS Commands that you can send. Note though that the SMS is only accepted when :

1. The SMS came from a partner phone. (You need to register the phone as a partner phone first).

2. The password is correct. Password is based on the password that you have saved when you configure SmartProtect on your phone. The password is authenticated by the phone once the SMS Command is received.

3. When the SMS Command is correct.

The SMS commands syntax is :

::/[command],[password]

example :

::/getGPSLocation,mypassword

Available Commands are :

getIMEI - Retrieves the IMEI Number

lockMyPhone - makes your phone unusable

enableLockPhone - Enable the Lock Mechanism of your Phone. When your phone is stolen, your phone will become unusable.

rebootPhone - Reboots your phone.

deleteContacts -Deletes your mobile phone contacts. It does not delete the SIM Card Contacts.

unregisterPhone - Unregisters the sender as a partner phone.

disableSecurity - Disables the security mechanism of your phone. This requires restart to take effect.

enableSecurity - Enables the security mechanism of your phone.This requires restart to take effect.

getIMSI - Retrieves the IMSI Number.

alertContacts - alerts your contacts that your phone has been stolen.

getCellLocation - Gets the approximate location based on Cell Tower that your phone has registered to.

getGPSLocation - Retrieves the GPS Coordinates.

exitApp - When you use getGPSLocation command, this application stays in the memory. This command exits the application. However, this applications will still be activated if any of the command is received.

registerPhone - Registers your sender as partner phone number.

listCommands - List the commands available for the Software.

versionInfo - Retrieves the current version of the SmartProtect.

deleteProtectedFolders - Removes the protected folders.

disableEmulation - Disabled the emulation mode.

stopAlert- Stops the alertContacts action.

runPreScript- Runs the pre-action MortScript you've defined.

runPostSCript- Runs the post-action MortScript you've defined.

runAllScripts- Runs all the MortScripts you've defined.

To install the software, unzip the file and run the setup.exe. Make sure you connect your device to the computer for syncing.

Leave your comments if you have suggestions, concerns or reported bugs here[/url]

This has not been tested on Non-GSM based phone.

IMPORTANT :

Please follow the procedure below to update the software :

1. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

2. Uninstall the SmartProtect. (optional)

3. Install the latest SmartProtect. If you didnt uninstall smart protect, it will ask you if you want to uninstall the older SmartProtect. Just click.

4. Once installed, Run SmartProtect to verify that your settings is still there.

5. Once verified, click either exit or save.

6. You will be notified that there's a need to restart the phone. Proceed to restart.

7. To verify its installed, SMS your phone with ::/versionInfo,<password>. This should yield the latest version.

Thanks!!

REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS :

Please follow the procedure below to remove the software :

1. Uninstall SmartProtect 1.1 from your Mobile Phone.

2. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

3. Install SmartProtectRemove.CAB to your mobile phone.

3. Run the SmartProtectRemove

4. Enter the appropriate password you've configured for SmartProtect. Click on Remove SmartProtect.

5. Reboot/soft reset your phone.

6. To verify that it has been removed, SMS any commands to your phone. It should get thru now.

Thanks!!

THOSE WITH SMS MODULE OF SMARTPROTECT NOT WORKING

Kindly run SmartProtect on Emulation Mode and test by sending SMS commands. The emulation mode works for all commands except for disableemulation, versioninfo and listcommands. Then the resulting log, kindly send to me for debugging purposes. Note that in emulation mode, no SMS will be sent out and all actions are recorded on the log file

Version 1.1.5

Updates.

1. Added Reboot messages if required during exit.

2. Added About Message

3. Changed title to SmartProtect on the first screen.

4. Added OpenCellID Link on the SMS.

Version 1.1.6

Updates.

1. Fixed Deletion of Protected Folders. When in-use Deletion module quits the deletion process.

Version 1.1.7

Updates.

1. Performance enhancement.
2. Fix a minor bug. When a number saved on the Partner Number is not on your address book, there's a tendency that the sms command may not get executed.

Version 1.1.8

Updates.

1. Fixed issue for users with non-english ROM where SMS command is not executed
2. Added MortScript support. You can now run Mort Scripts for Pre-process (before the security is invoked when the phone is compromised) and Post-Process (After the security is invoked). Note that you need to ensure that your Pre-process script ends, as the security will only be invoked when it ends. MortScripts will run only when the phone is compromised.
3. Support for AppToDate for automatic updates. (I have not tested because I can't download AppTodate. I will do a test later).
4. Additional commands such as runPreScript, runPostScript, stopAlert
5. Modified the way alertContacts command is executed.

Version 1.1.9

Minor Update

1. Added SMS Command to the Emulation Mode. In Emulation Mode, log will be produced whenever an SMS command is received and executed. Logs are stored on the Emulation Log.

Version 1.2

Minor Update

1. Fixed issue wherein those with partner number that starts with 0 (example 0917) is not recognized when an SMS is sent. (because the phone recognize it as +63917)

Version 1.2.2

Minor Update

1. Updated Resolution for Finger-Friendly Devices.
2. Integrated the Remove functionality to SmartProtect Configuration
3. Modified the Right-Menu. Instead of Save, it includes other settings normally found on tabs.
4. Internal changes. Libraries were integrated to make it more re-usable to each components.

Version 1.2.3

Minor Update

1. Broken AppToDate file..

Version 1.2.4

Minor Update

1. Removed Debug Statements..

Note. You can use apptodate.cab to automate updates. AppToDate is provided and developed by Paul from Modaco. Thanks!!

Attachments

• protect3.jpg
    protect3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7,018
  • apptodate.cab
    234.4 KB · Views: 4,039
  • smartprotect.1.2.4.cab
    369.7 KB · Views: 6,586
  • SmartProtectSetup.1.2.4.zip
    632.5 KB · Views: 10,239
Last edited:
Reactions: Hansi07

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Thanks. Great Tools. Will try it out.

Beta?

Freeware after final release?

I am current using IIWPO both my phone and my other half's phone, which has help my other half recovering HTC Trinity when it was lost.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Thanks. Great Tools. Will try it out.

Beta?

Freeware after final release?

I am current using IIWPO both my phone and my other half's phone, which has help my other half recovering HTC Hermes when it was lost.

Yap, Freeware after final release. I'm thinking of adding further features but I'll probably save it on the next version. I'll stabilize this version first.

Btw, unlike IIWPO, this software uses your SIM Card as registration instead of Owner Information. Every SIM Card has a unique number which can be used as a Unique Identifier of the owner of the phone.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Yep, I know and understand your point.

But most with the feature you have are not freeware.

Thank you very much for the effort.

Trinity has GPS.

Flame does not.

Edit: Need to uninstall IIWPO before trying this?

Last edited:

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Yep, I know and understand your point.

But most with the feature you have are not freeware.

Thank you very much for the effort.

Trinity has GPS.

Flame does not.

Edit: Need to uninstall IIWPO before trying this?

Hi,

You don't need to uninstall IIWPO. This does not interfere with the registry IIWPO is using.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
What about phones that don't contain SIM cards?

Hi Smotrs,

That's a good question. The answer is maybe it won't work. I haven't tried the application in Non GSM phone. You may try and let me know if it works. I'm happy to add that feature.

I'm using TAPI to get the Subscriber ID. I'm not sure if this will return the same CDMA subscriber ID. But for GSM, this is equal to the IMSI which is the Sim card Number.

Thanks!!

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
I discovered a bug but minor. If the phone is in PIN mode for a while and the SmartProtect kicks in, even if the SIM Card is correct, the application will detect a wrong SIM Card (probably because the SIM has not been registered yet??) and therefore sends SMS. Once the PIN has been keyed in, and the SIM has been registered, the protection stops.

The bug does not always happen. Only when the PIN Mode has been idle for a while.

I'll fix this by adding a detection of PIN entry.

Just to let you all know.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

d_preston215

Jun 29, 2007
A couple of questions...What do you mean by make the phone unuseable?....Also is their some type of way that you can send a hard reset command to the phone (which also delete's files on the Memory Card as well)?

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
A couple of questions...What do you mean by make the phone unuseable?....Also is their some type of way that you can send a hard reset command to the phone (which also delete's files on the Memory Card as well)?

Hi,

The application will blank the screen and therefore unusable. He can't see what's happening on the screen. He is able to receive a call though and answer it via the Keypad. He can receive SMS but he can't see it.

For your feature request, I have thought of that and will add that as well. My thought is like this. Users are able to choose which folders (Phone Memory and Memory Card) they want to be protected so in the event that the phone is stolen, these folders are either automatically deleted or deleted based on trigger via SMS. I've plans to add this feature on the next version after the final version (unless there's not much bug to be fixed which means I have time to add the feature for the final release). For now, my plan is to stabilize and fix minor bugs to make it final before adding the new features.

But not to worry though, I'll definitely add this as I've thought of this as well.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

d_preston215

Jun 29, 2007
Is there any way (such as if the phone is recovered) to make the phone re-useable, or is a hard-reset the only solution?

mssmison

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2008
Google Pixel 5
Looks like an awesome app! What a great idea. I'll hold out for someone else to test it on their non GSM phone, but can't wait.
I think the protected folders idea is fantastic, that way a person could make sure all their pictures etc are gone.

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Looks like an awesome app! What a great idea. I'll hold out for someone else to test it on their non GSM phone, but can't wait.
I think the protected folders idea is fantastic, that way a person could make sure all their pictures etc are gone.

Thanks!!.

Let me see if I can find an emulator to test this out. Unless someone can point me to a site to download an emulator for CDMA ? Thanks!!

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Is there any way (such as if the phone is recovered) to make the phone re-useable, or is a hard-reset the only solution?

Hi,

Normally, just insert the correct SIM Card and it will work. But, for example--

Let's say you manage to recover the phone but the SIM Card has already been thrown by the thief.The solution here is to :

1. Send an SMS from your partner phone to the recovered phone with the disableSecurity command. This will disable the security of the phone.

2. Send an SMS from your partner phone a resetPhone command to reboot the phone. This is to apply the disabled changes you've SMS'ed previously.

2. Run SmartProtect and register the SIM Card

3. Enable Security.

Your phone will then be protected with the new SIM Card in-place.

Thanks!!

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
Updated the software with the following changes :

1. Fix for PIN Mode issue.
2. Use schedule instead of sleeping during interval run, to make the software more responsive to SMS Commands once the protection runs.

Let me know if you need further information or if the update didn't go thru well.

Thanks!!

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Configuring the setting and found some question, possible improvement and suggestion.

Suggest to put a warning message that User to backup their contacts before trying out one of the feature "Delete Contact on SIM Change".

But on SIM change, it will be deleting the changed SIM Contacts, not my SIM's contacts or Phone's memory contacts.

Anyway, I am backing up my contacts now before I click that option.

Suggest to also get the "Owner Information" sent in SMS like IIWPO when the content change so you may know more things about this thief.

My question is, if phone is unusable, how to send SMS? Or you are just locking the voice but not the SMS?

If you go to "Settings->Remove Programs", you see JLG SmartProtect, you can still remove program, make this invisible.

You have SmartProtect in "StartUp" which is needed, but the program should be running is secret invisible mode upon power up and not visible to the thief.

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
Hi,

Normally, just insert the correct SIM Card and it will work. But, for example--

Let's say you manage to recover the phone but the SIM Card has already been thrown by the thief.The solution here is to :

1. Send an SMS from your partner phone to the recovered phone with the disableSecurity command. This will disable the security of the phone.

2. Send an SMS from your partner phone a resetPhone command to reboot the phone. This is to apply the disabled changes you've SMS'ed previously.

2. Run SmartProtect and register the SIM Card

3. Enable Security.

Your phone will then be protected with the new SIM Card in-place.

Thanks!!

Or you can register 2 SIM Card. Chances of you losing 2 phones together is slim. Once the phone is back, insert the other SIM Card, it will be ok.

Looking at the feature, it should able to register more than 1 SIM, right?

Last edited:

CWKJ

Jul 9, 2006
Singapore
After Configure, only switching on the Sercurity Mode, with my first SIM, I tried to test by switching to another SIM.

Upon power up with another SIM, the SmartProtect tried to execute from "StartUp" but gives an error message.

Tried getting into SmartProtect from "Program", it gives the same error message.

Putting back the original SIM, able to get into the configurating program.

Is this the correct behaviour?

mayo98

Aug 12, 2007
After Configure, only switching on the Sercurity Mode, with my first SIM, I tried to test by switching to another SIM.

Upon power up with another SIM, the SmartProtect tried to execute from "StartUp" but gives an error message.

Tried getting into SmartProtect from "Program", it gives the same error message.

Putting back the original SIM, able to get into the configurating program.

Is this the correct behaviour?

Hi,

The first one seems to be an error. Is it an application error ?Can you click on details of the error and show me the screenshot ?

Second one is a correct behaviour. SmartProtect will not get executed until you've inserted the correct SIM Card. This is to protect it from someone else configuring other than you (assuming your phone was lost).

I've released a latest update on the first page. Can you try that one ? I will give you instructions on private on to configure manually first as I'm encountering errors on my post application.

Thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT.. CHECK ON THE FIRST PAGE FOR UPDATES.

WARNING : This software has some pretty powerful features so use at your own risk. Importantly, please read the instructions below.

Hi guys.

This is my first software using .NETCF for Windows Mobile Phone. I know this software is peanuts compared to what is out there, but I wish this would be useful to all of you as well. This software helps you track and recover your phone once stolen or lost. Features includes :

1. A Thief or Lost Prevention Software with SMS Auto-Responder and GPS Capability created for Windows Mobile Devices.

2. When you forget your phone and can''t remember where you put it, you can SMS your phone to get the exact location via GPS information if your phone has GPS Capability or approximate location based on Cell Location.

3. You can SMS your phone for other information such as IMSI, IMEI or even remotely reboot your phone etc.

4. This software is also equipped with Thief Prevention system which will automatically SMS your partner phone number if the SIM has been changed against the registered SIM.

5. This software supports registration of Multiple SIM Cards and of Multiple Phone Conctacts as Partners.

6. When your phone has been stolen, it will automatically SMS relevant information such as IMEI, SIM Card Number or IMSI, GPS Location if supported or Cell Location.

7. It is able to also auto-delete Phone Memory Contacts if the phone has been stolen.

8. It is password protected and the password is encrypted with AES-Encryption.

9. Its un-install proof. It requires special procedure to uninstall the protection, so even if you uninstall it, it is still working.

10. It has MortScript support.

You need atleast .NETCF 2.0 for this app to work (which most Windows Mobile has so not to worry).

Note that Cell Location depends on your device. It should be working but the problem is not all devices interfaces with RIL functionality so it may or may not work.

For testing, kindly use Emulation Mode to determine if the application will work on your phone before using these features :

1. Make Phone Unusable
    2. Protected Folders
    3. Delete Contacts on SIM Change

Emulation mode will run the protection, however on test mode only and not real mode. Therefore, it will just produce a log file to tell you of the action it is supposed to make (however since its a test mode, it does not do that action). If everything is fine, make sure that after testing, to disable the emulation mode.

This was only tested on GSM-based phones. If you have Non-GSM Based phone, and you want to try it out, kindly do and let me know.

This software also can accept SMS Commands from the partner phone so that it can return informations as commanded by you explicitly. Here are the SMS Commands that you can send. Note though that the SMS is only accepted when :

1. The SMS came from a partner phone. (You need to register the phone as a partner phone first).

2. The password is correct. Password is based on the password that you have saved when you configure SmartProtect on your phone. The password is authenticated by the phone once the SMS Command is received.

3. When the SMS Command is correct.

The SMS commands syntax is :

::/[command],[password]

example :

::/getGPSLocation,mypassword

Available Commands are :

getIMEI - Retrieves the IMEI Number

lockMyPhone - makes your phone unusable

enableLockPhone - Enable the Lock Mechanism of your Phone. When your phone is stolen, your phone will become unusable.

rebootPhone - Reboots your phone.

deleteContacts -Deletes your mobile phone contacts. It does not delete the SIM Card Contacts.

unregisterPhone - Unregisters the sender as a partner phone.

disableSecurity - Disables the security mechanism of your phone. This requires restart to take effect.

enableSecurity - Enables the security mechanism of your phone.This requires restart to take effect.

getIMSI - Retrieves the IMSI Number.

alertContacts - alerts your contacts that your phone has been stolen.

getCellLocation - Gets the approximate location based on Cell Tower that your phone has registered to.

getGPSLocation - Retrieves the GPS Coordinates.

exitApp - When you use getGPSLocation command, this application stays in the memory. This command exits the application. However, this applications will still be activated if any of the command is received.

registerPhone - Registers your sender as partner phone number.

listCommands - List the commands available for the Software.

versionInfo - Retrieves the current version of the SmartProtect.

deleteProtectedFolders - Removes the protected folders.

disableEmulation - Disabled the emulation mode.

runPreScript- Runs the pre-action MortScript you've defined.

runPostSCript- Runs the post-action MortScript you've defined.

runAllScripts- Runs all the MortScripts you've defined.

To install the software, unzip the file and run the setup.exe. Make sure you connect your device to the computer for syncing.

Leave your comments if you have suggestions, concerns or reported bugs here[/url]

This has not been tested on Non-GSM based phone.

IMPORTANT :

Please follow the procedure below to update the software :

1. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

2. Uninstall the SmartProtect. (optional)

3. Install the latest SmartProtect. If you didnt uninstall smart protect, it will ask you if you want to uninstall the older SmartProtect. Just click.

4. Once installed, Run SmartProtect to verify that your settings is still there.

5. Once verified, click either exit or save.

6. You will be notified that there's a need to restart the phone. Proceed to restart.

7. To verify its installed, SMS your phone with ::/versionInfo,<password>. This should yield the latest version.

Thanks!!

REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS :

Please follow the procedure below to remove the software :

1. Uninstall SmartProtect 1.1 from your Mobile Phone.

2. From the partner phone. SMS your phone with the command ::/exitApp,[password]. This is to make sure that the SMS module is not loaded in the memory or update may fail.

3. Install SmartProtectRemove.CAB to your mobile phone.

3. Run the SmartProtectRemove

4. Enter the appropriate password you've configured for SmartProtect. Click on Remove SmartProtect.

5. Reboot/soft reset your phone.

6. To verify that it has been removed, SMS any commands to your phone. It should get thru now.

Thanks!!

THOSE WITH SMS MODULE OF SMARTPROTECT NOT WORKING

Kindly run SmartProtect on Emulation Mode and test by sending SMS commands. The emulation mode works for all commands except for disableemulation, versioninfo and listcommands. Then the resulting log, kindly send to me for debugging purposes. Note that in emulation mode, no SMS will be sent out and all actions are recorded on the log file

Version 1.1.5

Updates.

1. Added Reboot messages if required during exit.

2. Added About Message

3. Changed title to SmartProtect on the first screen.

4. Added OpenCellID Link on the SMS.

Version 1.1.6

Updates.

1. Fixed Deletion of Protected Folders. When in-use Deletion module quits the deletion process.

Version 1.1.7

Updates.

1. Performance enhancement.
    2. Fix a minor bug. When a number saved on the Partner Number is not on your address book, there's a tendency that the sms command may not get executed.

Version 1.1.8

Updates.

1. Fixed issue for users with non-english ROM where SMS command is not executed
    2. Added MortScript support. You can now run Mort Scripts for Pre-process (before the security is invoked when the phone is compromised) and Post-Process (After the security is invoked). Note that you need to ensure that your Pre-process script ends, as the security will only be invoked when it ends. MortScripts will run only when the phone is compromised.
    3. Support for AppToDate for automatic updates. (I have not tested because I can't download AppTodate. I will do a test later).
    4. Additional commands such as runPreScript, runPostScript, stopAlert
    5. Modified the way alertContacts command is executed.

Version 1.1.9

Minor Update

1. Added SMS Command to the Emulation Mode. In Emulation Mode, log will be produced whenever an SMS command is received and executed. Logs are stored on the Emulation Log.

Version 1.2

Minor Update

1. Fixed issue wherein those with partner number that starts with 0 (example 0917) is not recognized when an SMS is sent. (because the phone recognize it as +63917)

Version 1.2.2

Minor Update

1. Updated Resolution for Finger-Friendly Devices.
    2. Integrated the Remove functionality to SmartProtect Configuration
    3. Modified the Right-Menu. Instead of Save, it includes other settings normally found on tabs.
    4. Internal changes. Libraries were integrated to make it more re-usable to each components.

Version 1.2.3

Minor Update

1. Broken AppToDate file..

Version 1.2.4

Minor Update

1. Removed Debug Statements..

Note. You can use apptodate.cab to automate updates. AppToDate is provided and developed by Paul from Modaco. Thanks!!
    When a new SIM card is inserted in your phone is a SMS sent to the partner phone with the phone number of that SIM card?