permanently delete text messages!

Search This thread

chronic86

Apr 12, 2010
Northumberland
is there any way to permanently delete text messages.. so for instance if my phone was was sold on there was no way they could recover the data from it ?

loggy

Apr 20, 2008
London
Why, what you up to ?? :)

I think a master reset would wipe it but I guess everything on the phone is still in memory but not accessable through normal means but if the CIA wanted to they'd give it to a data recovery company and get files back from ram like you can recover deleted flash files as long as they are not overwritten.

Though I dont realy know, just guessin.

If its real important then a big hammer always works :)

yetep

Oct 6, 2008
are you mental? texts are deleted permanently when you press delete. in fact, the entire thread of texts is. go on, try it. delete a text & try to get it back...

Sent from my X10i using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

Flamso

Nov 5, 2009
Stockholm
are you mental? texts are deleted permanently when you press delete. in fact, the entire thread of texts is. go on, try it. delete a text & try to get it back...

What? No. Do you even know how deletion works on any normal device today? It stays in memory until it's overwritten with something else. And even then it's possible to recreate the data.

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager

it doesn't work like that.. the data will still be there.. it's just removed from the index so you can't get it through the normal user interface.... you'd need to do a full format of the intenal memory and then rebuild the phone system.. probably possible but I'm not interested enough to look for a solution!

chronic86

Apr 12, 2010
Northumberland

chronic86

Apr 12, 2010
Northumberland

loggy

Apr 20, 2008
London
You have raised a valid point regarding sensitive data on mobile devices, Its just like your PC but in your pocket.
Ive never sold a pc but if I did I think I would destroy the drives just in case. The same could be said for these phones with their gig of flash storing all your passwords, emails, texts, online banking details, ebay account details, paypal .. etc... Ok Im being a little paranoid here but its getting that way.

A security data wiper/writer could be a good app to develop.

Flamso

Nov 5, 2009
Stockholm
You have raised a valid point regarding sensitive data on mobile devices, Its just like your PC but in your pocket.
Ive never sold a pc but if I did I think I would destroy the drives just in case. The same could be said for these phones with their gig of flash storing all your passwords, emails, texts, online banking details, ebay account details, paypal .. etc... Ok Im being a little paranoid here but its getting that way.

I don't think you're paranoid. You have a valid point there! The amount of information we have that is critically personal is enormous! I never sell my phones to people outside my family and I probably never will.

chronic86

Apr 12, 2010
Northumberland

you can get a program called kill disk for a pc which will totaly wipe all data from drive so nothing can be recovered! am sure it would be possible to do it for a mobile but as on pc you will need to reinstall your OS which in x10 case would be andriod.

arivalamy

Nov 25, 2013
The most secure way is using professional third-party software like iPhone Data Eraser, which is a reliable and effective tool to smash everything on your iPhone, including contacts, messages, photos, videos, apps, account info, passwords, photos and other personal data.