Install pre 2.2 OTA with 100% working root 2.0 radio/720p video

Search This thread

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
UPDATE, you will have market issues, some apps will not show up. For a fix see this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=728451&highlight=market+ota

READ FIRST
DO NOT APPLY THE UPDATE.ZIP TWICE or YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE!

Everyone should know that if you apply this update and VZW changes the radio in the official then you probably won't be able to upgrade your radio to it.

Also if you do this you will not be able to revert back to stock until a new RUU is released, and the problem with a new RUU is that they may close all known root methods. If you try with any current RUU's you will get a "Main version is older" error.

The radio is very good and 720p will work but everyone should know this might prevent future radio updates.

READ SECOND:
In case the OTA comes out and there is something truly different, you can follow this procedure to downgrade hboot and install an older RUU:
http://androidforums.com/all-things...16-how-revert-back-earlier-version-hboot.html

dinc_ota.zip

Put the file from mediafire.com on your SDCARD as update.zip

If rooted, you have to RUU your phone back to stock. Download the image from the link below, put on root of SDCARD and then boot into bootloader(powerdown, hold power and optical button in) then go to bootloader, then it should load the img and then apply it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yum40znzwmmmtyl

Boot back to your phone and apply the first OTA update we got. If you dont do this, you might get errors trying to install the new update.

Then go to STOCK recovery.
Apply update.zip
Reboot, then activate.
Then follow this:
(Mine got stuck on rebooting phone, I just unplugged my phone and then plugged it back in again really fast again, it seemed to work like normal just starting the UnrEVOked 3.0 with phone hooked up)
UnrEVOked v3.0 Is Out - ROOT NO LONGER REQUIRED + NEW CLOCKWORK 2.5!!! - xda-developers

Then one final step for now to install root again really easy.
Download this
http://www.unrevoked.com/incredible/payload-update.zip

Put it on your SD card, then reboot into clockwork recovery
Go to install zip from SD-Card
Choose the payload-update.zip
You have root again and busybox is installed.
Some reason UnrEVOked 3.0 didnt reroot my phone but doing the steps above will have you with the latest update and 2.0 radio with 100% working root and working 720p video.

Picture proof it works, drocapped the pic, so you know root is all good.
attachment.php

Attachments

• CAP201007152346.jpg
    CAP201007152346.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7,783
Last edited:
Reactions: Biftor

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Cool

This sounds really dangerous to me and while I appreciate the warnings, those warnings show pretty bad consequences. I think I will wait until unrEVOked simply provides a root-safe version of the OTA.

Last edited:

scuccia

May 23, 2008
READ ME

Everyone should know that if you apply this update and VZW changes the radio in the official then you probably won't be able to upgrade your radio to it.

Also if you do this you will not be able to revert back to stock until a new RUU is released, and the problem with a new RUU is that they may close all known root methods. If you try with any current RUU's you will get a "Main version is older" error.

The radio is very good and 720p will work but everyone should know this might prevent future radio updates.

Please update your original post with this information.

Last edited:

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
Might hurt you in the end

If the official radio version ends up being like 1.7 or 1.9 everyone who did this will be screwed correct? There is no way to reverse this once you have flashed the leaked radio. :eek:

EDIT: Haha ^^^^^^ you beat me to it by 2 minutes

Last edited:

scuccia

May 23, 2008
If the official radio version ends up being like 1.7 or 1.9 everyone who did this will be screwed correct? There is no way to reverse this once you have flashed the leaked radio.

Its not even just that. The update was a radio.diff file not a radio.img. I'm not 100% sure but I'm guessing that it just makes modifications to your radio, and not replace it.

If they make changes to the radio.diff it may not be able to make the proper changes to our radio because we are running a leaked version that already has changes in it.

Last edited:

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
People should be able to get the stock recovery .zip, out of sone of these stock ruus so that wiping its not necessary... Redoing your entire phone is a pita... Much easier if someone can isolate the stock recovery file without messing with the data partition

Sent from my HTC Incredible using the XDA App

scuccia

May 23, 2008
Wonder if the update can be dismantled and only have the 720p added to the phones?

A few have tried (including myself) and 720P doesn't work without the radio. It will show in the camcorder and you can select it, but if you try and record it will reboot on you.

I'll keep trying but it seems impossible to have 720P recording without the radio.

lentm

Dec 3, 2008
thank you for your info!

i didnt know i have to install payload-update.zip......

Cronus1995

May 11, 2010
So if I'm reading this right you're saying there's a chance that you could never receive another OTA update?

Seagrizzly

Jun 26, 2010
I guess I will just wait until tomorrow when the OTA is released to make sure future upgrades work.

ezy1022

Aug 24, 2009
can someone who does this ota and then roots their phone make a nandroid of it stock...i think i may have messed something up real bad and i cant get it to stop boot looping...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE, you will have market issues, some apps will not show up. For a fix see this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=728451&highlight=market+ota

READ FIRST
    DO NOT APPLY THE UPDATE.ZIP TWICE or YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE!

READ SECOND:
    In case the OTA comes out and there is something truly different, you can follow this procedure to downgrade hboot and install an older RUU:
    http://androidforums.com/all-things...16-how-revert-back-earlier-version-hboot.html

dinc_ota.zip

Put the file from mediafire.com on your SDCARD as update.zip

If rooted, you have to RUU your phone back to stock. Download the image from the link below, put on root of SDCARD and then boot into bootloader(powerdown, hold power and optical button in) then go to bootloader, then it should load the img and then apply it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yum40znzwmmmtyl

Boot back to your phone and apply the first OTA update we got. If you dont do this, you might get errors trying to install the new update.

Then go to STOCK recovery.
    Apply update.zip
    Reboot, then activate.
    Then follow this:
    (Mine got stuck on rebooting phone, I just unplugged my phone and then plugged it back in again really fast again, it seemed to work like normal just starting the UnrEVOked 3.0 with phone hooked up)
    UnrEVOked v3.0 Is Out - ROOT NO LONGER REQUIRED + NEW CLOCKWORK 2.5!!! - xda-developers

Then one final step for now to install root again really easy.
    Download this
    http://www.unrevoked.com/incredible/payload-update.zip

Put it on your SD card, then reboot into clockwork recovery
    Go to install zip from SD-Card
    Choose the payload-update.zip
    You have root again and busybox is installed.
    Some reason UnrEVOked 3.0 didnt reroot my phone but doing the steps above will have you with the latest update and 2.0 radio with 100% working root and working 720p video.

Picture proof it works, drocapped the pic, so you know root is all good.
    attachment.php