[Q] News and weather app (GenieWidget) stopped working?

Search This thread

f308gt4

May 14, 2011
Has this app stopped working for anyone else here? I tried force closing, and clearing data. Also tried uninstalling and re installing the .apk.

Every time I try to launch it, I get a message that says "Unfortunately, News and Weather has stopped."

Haven't changed anything on the phone. It was working this morning, but when I tried it this afternoon, kept getting the error.

Thanks!

PeterNote

Apr 25, 2012
News and Weather stops during startup

yeah, i think we are having the same problem here

Likewise here in New Zealand on a Note 3. Fine last night, no good today. Have uninstalled, rebooted, tried several different apks now out there (1.3.11 being the newest) - all the same result. I sincerely hope this is a temporary thing, I depend on that app and really dislike the less flexible and more data-hungry alternatives like NewsHog.

ana.ban

Oct 25, 2013
same here

exact same thing here. only "new" thing i could remember was a chrome update last night (could definitely be another thing.. jus sayin). now the news and weather app doesn't work just as you guys described. no amount of data clearing and reinstallation works on my ics. :( - vancouver

PtelMeas

Oct 25, 2013
Has this app stopped working for anyone else here? I tried force closing, and clearing data. Also tried uninstalling and re installing the .apk.

Every time I try to launch it, I get a message that says "Unfortunately, News and Weather has stopped."

Haven't changed anything on the phone. It was working this morning, but when I tried it this afternoon, kept getting the error.

Thanks!

Having same difficulty here with an HTC One, Android version 4.3, HTC Sense 5.0, Software number 3.24.531.3, HTC SDK API level 5.45. Likewise, have tried Force Close, clearing Data, clearing Cache. Seems to work once phone is rebooted; text and the local wx/temp shows up. However, when I click on the Genie widget, I (1) first see a progress bar at the bottom of a plain black field, then (2) get the popup, "Unfortunately, News & Weather has stopped. (OK)."

Agreed, it's an invaluable app which came installed on my One. Please fix if possible. Thanks!

mofunzone

Aug 7, 2011
Having same difficulty here with an HTC One, Android version 4.3, HTC Sense 5.0, Software number 3.24.531.3, HTC SDK API level 5.45. Likewise, have tried Force Close, clearing Data, clearing Cache. Seems to work once phone is rebooted; text and the local wx/temp shows up. However, when I click on the Genie widget, I (1) first see a progress bar at the bottom of a plain black field, then (2) get the popup, "Unfortunately, News & Weather has stopped. (OK)."

Agreed, it's an invaluable app which came installed on my One. Please fix if possible. Thanks!

i think it has been fixed, at least on my nexus 4

PeterNote

Apr 25, 2012
All good now

Not for me. Seems like Chrome update last night broke something.

Fixed here also now.

I had no Chrome update yesterday that I recall, and updated nothing today except for reinstalls of this app. If you think Chrome was the issue, maybe try winding its version back in app manager?

But I'm guessing it was unrelated, and therefore hopefully your app will come right also in the near future.