White AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717, possible defect

Search This thread

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
well I exchange my note for a new note at att store got the same color(white), an everything but I did notice one thing different my old not was made in Korea well my new not was made in China... I check to see the you tube video in hd the one with jayz in paris at the victory secret model show and there was not such pixelation could it be the the China made noted do not have this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

There is mention of this in the thread on that topic. My MIC replacement wasnt as fortunate. But it doesnt have the wifi launcher reboot issue my MIK had.

#SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

bendotson

Jan 16, 2008
I have the same issue with my white note. There is no way this could happen since its between glass and metal. Undoubtably a flaw in the materials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
cracks.

In the Q&A thread I asked the ohers that reported that issue and they don't carry it in their pocket. I thouht it might be an issue too somehow causing stress, but it has never happend to any of my black phones and I've always carried my phones in my pocket.

I was hoping that would have been the answer, because then it would have been easy to avoid it happening again. But it seems it's not the case and I will have to worry about it happening to my new one at some point too.

At least I get to test the theory that it only happens to the MIK models and not the MIC... :eyes crossed:

#SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

if it happened on a black phone, you probably wouldn't see it.

Notably, the whole "cracked" (in quotations because if it's similar to what was happening with the iPhones, it's not actually a crack.) Thing happened to a white calculator I owned, and to my sisters laptop, which has a white glossy frame. Needless to say, we were able to buff those "cracks" out. I've only seen this type of discoloration on white glossy products though. Must have to do with the manufacturing process (apple does source some products via Samsung as well...so I wouldn't be surprised at a similarity...not to mention all of the interconnects between different companies and manufacturers like Foxconn).

It's almost impossible to see anything in those photos though.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

I have the same issue with my white note. There is no way this could happen since its between glass and metal. Undoubtably a flaw in the materials.

Can someone please post photos in a .zip @ full resolution? The only photos I've seen were of a note with a crack that was a perfect line in the display. It looked like a few dead pixels.

I'd like to help but really could use some HQ photos.

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
if it happened on a black phone, you probably wouldn't see it.

Notably, the whole "cracked" (in quotations because if it's similar to what was happening with the iPhones, it's not actually a crack.) Thing happened to a white calculator I owned, and to my sisters laptop, which has a white glossy frame. Needless to say, we were able to buff those "cracks" out. I've only seen this type of discoloration on white glossy products though. Must have to do with the manufacturing process (apple does source some products via Samsung as well...so I wouldn't be surprised at a similarity...not to mention all of the interconnects between different companies and manufacturers like Foxconn).

It's almost impossible to see anything in those photos though.

It sounds like a flaw in the clear coat. Which makes perfect sense, if you were able to buff it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) using XDA Premium.

TheManGer

Apr 15, 2012
Aschaffenburg
I have my Note in Black now for Few mounth without any Case problems... Maybe there is a different in the Quality of the Case from N7000 and the I717

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

kevinjgray88

Mar 10, 2012
Wisconsin
I have this problem too. But the other day I was thinking when you snap the battery cover back on you have to push along the whole edge of where these cracks are showing up.
Just a thought

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk 2

bendotson

Jan 16, 2008
@jamesyboy

Its definitely not pixels since it is not part of the screen. The picture in the first post shows it very clearly but I think you need a larger perspective to see exactly where the crack is. When I get home this morning I will take some photos with my dslr and post.

doncov

Jan 8, 2009
same problem with my white note N7000
mine is new buyed today at 5pm
once at home i've found the proble

TheMrRoxtar

Nov 7, 2011
Frisco,Tx
Ok this is not f***ing.cool.... Digging around.and found this thread.....saw some guys had hairline cracks on the side of their note....thought to myself THERE IS NO WAY THESE PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM....I just F***ing discovered that I HAVE THE SAME.PROBLEM. Upon doing a thorough check of my phone as I usually do to clean it all up I decided to look for the crack and behold a small EXAAACCCT SAME crack as OP. On the side right under volume rocker.

600 dollar brand new phone and we get this. Unacceptable!!!

This is way beyond just being a coincidence. Give me some feedback on what to do!!!??

TheMrRoxtar

Nov 7, 2011
Frisco,Tx

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335078330147.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335078330147.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 290

TheMrRoxtar

Nov 7, 2011
Frisco,Tx
A little rough to see buy I assure you it's there and I PROMISE YOU GUYS WHEN I SAY THAT IT'S PERFECTLY ALIGNED WITH THE bottom VOLUME ROCKER.

Chaps my butt! I guess I'll give customer service a call and try for an exchange.

schrochem

Jul 21, 2011
Didn't have it when I saw this thread originally. Just noticed it today. Same as above poster. Exactly aligned with bottom of volume rocker. I take really good care of my phone...
Mines made in Korea. I'm wondering if heat could cause it. I had it in my front seat for a bit yesterday. Just direct sun not left in the car. I'm right at 30 days I think. Do I go to att or fry's where I bought it? I guess I have to unroot and return to stock.

tonomon

Oct 5, 2010
can anyone confirm this is a white note only issue?

I just orderd a white note off of amazon. Should I change colors? Will the crack spread or make the glass weaker?

Advice?

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
Seems like its only the korean made ine i have a china made one and no defects i use no case nor screen protector

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

On my old 3GS I had that problem. Hopefully the same doesn't happen on my Note.
    White one too? If so, that is interesting. Wonder what makes them more brittle...or maybe they just show the cracks more?

Yup. My white 3GS. Some where in India now though. Good riddance. But I do recall something happening with the Nexus One where it would crack near the power button sometimes.
    Same issue - Right side about an inch or so below the power button.

It's got to be a pressure point failure on the device.
    Ok people, here is my two cents on this problem. Since this is happening in only a couple of places to multiple phones, I'm thinking it was actually an assymbly issue. If the cracks are appearing in roughly the same place on both sides of the glass from phone to phone, we can rule out several things. First, this is not user error. Second, its not due to dropping. Third, there is no way that the rest of the screen would be intact if it was a manufacturing defect. If the glass was faulty on one, it would be faulty on all. Since this is a hit or miss issue, it tells us a couple more things. First, it has to be something after the manufature of the glass but before it hits shelves, therefore assymbly. Second, since it cracks just to the extent of maybe a couple of mills, more then likely, it is a stress fracture relieving the stress. If it was anything else, like a glass defect or something to that extent, then the crack would not stop that quick. I think that this is an issolated event, something like a screw or clip that was not fastened properly or not inserted properly, so its causing stress on the glass and cuasing these stress fractures. Again, this is just my two cents but then again what do i know...