s5 usb 3.0 port

Search This thread

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
quick question 3.0 only affects transfer speeds when connected to a computer right? for charging it's always going to be the adapter's output (2A)

If connected to a computer that has a USB3 port, it'll be a faster charge than if you were to use USB2. USB2 has a max of about 500mA, theoretically. USB3 has a max of 900mA. When using a wall charger, it'll be the same as USB2, since the adapters output (most commonly 2A) remains the same. That also goes without saying: Using the wall charger will always be faster than using a computer, since the output is considerably higher.

ex-28

If connected to a computer that has a USB3 port, it'll be a faster charge than if you were to use USB2. USB2 has a max of about 500mA, theoretically. USB3 has a max of 900mA. When using a wall charger, it'll be the same as USB2, since the adapters output (most commonly 2A) remains the same. That also goes without saying: Using the wall charger will always be faster than using a computer, since the output is considerably higher.

im guessing the wall charger that comes with the s5 is only a 2A output ?

cloudraker

Dec 2, 2011
Lafayette, In
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's USB on one end and a really odd looking connection to the bottom of the phone. Don't know what it's called.

Thats the standard USB 3.0 Micro connector. Its basically the standard USB micro connector we are all used to with an additional set of pins on the side. The nice thing is the ports are backwards compatible but with slower speeds.

Cusa

Dec 25, 2011
If it's been upgraded to 2.5A then that explains the super fast charging speed.

karmuh

Jan 15, 2014
Orange County, NY
Just got my S5 :)

And nah, the wall adapter is still 2A...at least the one that came with mine is:
qgKkuyM.jpg

I think the fast charging is because of "Quick Charge 2.0" from Qualcomm's 801 chip.

wyldeice

Apr 10, 2014
My wife got her shimmery white phone yesterday that came with a white cord and charger and I was hoping my black on would come with a black cord and charger, no such luck, looks like they are all white.

mastermarc

Sep 22, 2007
cincinnati
the 2.0 cables seem to charge extraordinarily slow for me. The 3.0 cable from the same 2A source seems real fast.

Not sure if it is just the first impressions or an indicator that you should probably plan to use the 3.0 cables from now on...

Top Liked Posts