Any help on Pioneer XDP-300R bootloop ?

Search This thread

grogcw

Oct 10, 2012
Montpellier
Hi !

I've attempted to deal with the devil by trying to root my Pioneer XDP-300R resulting in a bootloop problem (device is stuck on "Powered by Android" screen).

I attempted to flash a boot.img for a Onkyo DX-P1 (which is the same firmware), and still I haven't progressed.

No firmware, update or imgs are provided on Pioneer's website.

I still have access to fastboot (OEM is LOCKED, so I can't boot TWRP and such) in bootloader mode and adb push (no shell) in recovery mode.

Do you guys have any idea how to sort it out ?

Edit :
I managed to make my device go into Qualcomm's emergency download mode.

Here's how to :
1 - Make sure the device is completely off and unplugged from USB.
2 - Install QPST V2.7.474 (not enough posts to share url, but I can PM it).
3 - Install QDLoader Drivers (same as #2).
4 - Simply press and hold the "Play" button while connecting it to your computer, the device manager should see a "Qualcomm 9008 port" listed in Ports while the player's screen stays black.
5 - Do the Carlton (important step !)

Now, if anyone possessing a FUNCTIONAL AND ROOTED Pioneer XDP-300r is reading this and willing to help, can you get in touch with me ?

Together, we could manage to save all the other devices from soft-bricking.

All I would need from you is some time, hard disk space and patience to sort it out.

Please <insert_your_name_here>, you're my only hope !

Edit #2 :
Thanks to minotauri's great help, we managed to get a FULL rom backup, split the partitions to files and generate all the files needed for QFIL.

ErrOzz has been given access to this, hoping that he'll try it out soon.

If that works, I'll link you the files and write the walkthrough to bring you DAP back to life.

minotauri's contributions are not in rest tho, he managed to also successfuly patch TWRP for the device, so anyone can securely flash things from there now.

For anyone reading this thread : you're not the only one who screwed things up, we did too but we might have the cure. Hang in there !

Last edited:
Reactions: minotauri

minotauri

Jun 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.antdroid.net
Hi !

I've attempted to deal with the devil by trying to root my Pioneer XDP-300R resulting in a bootloop problem (device is stuck on "Powered by Android" screen).

I attempted to flash a boot.img for a Onkyo DX-P1 (which is the same firmware), and still I haven't progressed.

I still have access to fastboot (OEM is LOCKED, so I can't boot TWRP and such) in bootloader mode and adb push (no shell) in recovery mode.

Edit :

Here's how to :
4 - Simply press and hold the "Play" button while connecting it to your computer, the device manager should see a "Qualcomm 9008 port" listed in Ports while the player's screen stays black.

Now, if anyone possessing a FUNCTIONAL AND ROOTED Pioneer XDP-300r is reading this and willing to help, can you get in touch with me ?

All I would need from you is some time, hard disk space and patience to sort it out.

Hi - I saw your post on Head-Fi (antdroid over there). Let me look into this!

grogcw

Oct 10, 2012
Montpellier
Hi !
From the edl / qdload 9008 state, you can't afaik.

Here's how I think you can :

1 - Unplug your device from USB and power it off from whatever state it is.
2 - Power it on pressing Power + Previous button (keep holding, you should be "stuck" on the penguin logo).
3 - Connect your USB.
4 - Check that you have a Android ADB Device in your device manager (install drivers manually if you have an Unknown device).
5 - Grab any fastboot from the internet if you don't already have it (I'll PM you my gdrive, it's there for exemple).
6 - From CMD, go to fastboot directory. (cd <my_folder_with_fastboot>).
7 - Type in : fastboot devices
If fastboot sees your device, you're on the good path, else, check your driver / connection / reboot to fastboot "penguin" state.
8 - Type in : fastboot oem device-info
If it replies
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
among others, you're in a good, good way, else, you're screwed by now, but we are working on it.
9 - If all the precedent are fulfilled type :
fastboot flash boot <my_boot_image.img>
10 - Mandatory Carlton.

I hope you'll be in the right path all the way, if you're stuck somewhere or if your bootloader is locked, please let me know.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Reactions: minotauri

minotauri

Jun 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.antdroid.net
Last edited:

mythunit

Jan 10, 2007
Hi,
I have the same problem. I am able to get qdload 9008 state from here now. However, after unplug and followed grogcw's hints, the device is not recognized again. Also, the device hasn't ennobled debug mode before too. All the adb and fastboot commands return no device.

Hopefully can get more help here.

---------- Post added 28th February 2019 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 27th February 2019 at 11:58 PM ----------

I was successful in creating a recovery (twrp) for this device.

https://www.antdroid.net/2019/02/pioneer-xdp-300r-root-twrp-recovery.html?m=1

also created a XDA thread here: https://xdaforums.com/android/development/pioneer-xdp-300r-digital-audio-player-t3902949

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or we can work it through here

Is there anyway to flash TWRP and so with QDLoader?

minotauri

Jun 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.antdroid.net
I believe he is on vacation for another week and half. If you haven't enabled the bootloader unlock option within Android, then my recovery method may not work since it may not let you flash the recovery.

You can try to fastboot boot recovery.img though

grogcw

Oct 10, 2012
Montpellier
Hi ! I'm back from vacation, but I still haven't my device around.

Any user willing to test are welcome to reply or PM me !

Let's have all the bricked units working, shall we :)

grogcw

Oct 10, 2012
Montpellier
We actually did start probing stuff around, and we are missing something in the "full restoration process", so we're stuck for now.

Sahara protocol still is a mystery for us, and we can't get pass an error.
I think we don't actually have the right programmer_firehose.mbn for our device, but if it's not this, I'm basically out of ideas. (we might need an "QFIL expert" on this)

I still don't have my device around and feeling dumb about this.

Anyway, all the files and tools required to try probing around are in my gdrive and I can PM the link (as I still can't post it right away) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for trying to help or actually help everyone !

Cheers !

ralf05

Mar 25, 2007
Hello,
I try to root my xdp-300r,after reboot have bootloop result.
I don't know how to reflash systme.img.
can suggest any repair plan,thank you~

dantuko

Aug 28, 2012
SF
Was able to unbrick device. Here are the steps TO DO IT

hi !

I've attempted to deal with the devil by trying to root my pioneer xdp-300r resulting in a bootloop problem (device is stuck on "powered by android" screen).

I attempted to flash a boot.img for a onkyo dx-p1 (which is the same firmware), and still i haven't progressed.

No firmware, update or imgs are provided on pioneer's website.

I still have access to fastboot (oem is locked, so i can't boot twrp and such) in bootloader mode and adb push (no shell) in recovery mode.

edit :
i managed to make my device go into qualcomm's emergency download mode.

Here's how to :
1 - make sure the device is completely off and unplugged from usb.
2 - install qpst v2.7.474 (not enough posts to share url, but i can pm it).
3 - install qdloader drivers (same as #2).
4 - simply press and hold the "play" button while connecting it to your computer, the device manager should see a "qualcomm 9008 port" listed in ports while the player's screen stays black.
5 - do the carlton (important step !)

now, if anyone possessing a functional and rooted pioneer xdp-300r is reading this and willing to help, can you get in touch with me ?

All i would need from you is some time, hard disk space and patience to sort it out.

please <insert_your_name_here>, you're my only hope !

edit #2 :
thanks to minotauri's great help, we managed to get a full rom backup, split the partitions to files and generate all the files needed for qfil.

Errozz has been given access to this, hoping that he'll try it out soon.

If that works, i'll link you the files and write the walkthrough to bring you dap back to life.

Minotauri's contributions are not in rest tho, he managed to also successfuly patch twrp for the device, so anyone can securely flash things from there now.

For anyone reading this thread : You're not the only one who screwed things up, we did too but we might have the cure. Hang in there !

i was able to unbrick my device
dantuko said:
all credits go to anthony nguyen aka minotauri. Thank you!

requirements:
samsung drivers installed
windows 10 (i have the windows 10 pro installed)
oem unlock
usb debbuging selected prior to brick
install the latest samsung drivers
install fastboot/adb drivers
stock-boot.img provided by minotauri

the steps are as follows:
  1. the device must be in recovery mode an plugged to the computer. I was on stock recovery
  2. open device manager in windows, look for anything android and delete it and choose to delete the drivers
  3. refresh device manager for new devices (keep only the xdp-300 android connected)
  4. right click on the android device and click on update drivers
  5. select browse my computer for driver software
  6. click on let me pick from a list of available drivers
  7. unselect show compatible drivers (if you see a samsumg driver here, select it. If not try generic windows adb drivers)
  8. seletct google adb drivers (this is the one that worked and it's under samsung drivers)
    i performed the steps 1 through 8 a few times until the computer categorized the device as adb
  9. open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where fastboot is installed and type: Fastboot devices (you should have a device listed here)
  10. type: Fastboot oem unlock (this unlocks the bootloader)
  11. after copying stock-boot.img to the root of the your fastboot directory, type: Fastboot flash boot stock-boot.img (reboot)
    after the reboot you should see normal boot
  12. if you want twrp and root follow the instructions here: https://xdaforums.com/android/development/pioneer-xdp-300r-digital-audio-player-t3902949 all credits go to anthony nguyen.
  13. i installed twrp the latest supersu pro, viper4android, root browser, busy box pro and everything works perfectly.
    :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:good luck to you e n j o y ! ! !:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

i am not an android programmer so i won't be able to help you from that perspective, but i a software engineer so i maybe able to answer some questions.
There is no guarantee this method will work for you but it did work for me
I can provide a TWRP backup file for you to restore your device

dantuko

Aug 28, 2012
SF

Here is a few items to note about the image:

You must have twrp installed and accessible in order to restore this image.
First time booting after the restore will take a long time, so have a cup of coffee and let it do it's thing.
Every time you boot the OS will perform application optimization, it doesn't bother me so I have not even looked into it.
After you boot connect to your WIFI and open Google Play to set up your account
If you want to use Viper4Android, download and install busybox, then open settings, go to apps and disable Musicfx, then reboot and turn Viper4Android on.

Good luck

stefan999

Jul 21, 2019
Here is a few items to note about the image:

You must have twrp installed and accessible in order to restore this image.
First time booting after the restore will take a long time, so have a cup of coffee and let it do it's thing.
Every time you boot the OS will perform application optimization, it doesn't bother me so I have not even looked into it.
After you boot connect to your WIFI and open Google Play to set up your account
If you want to use Viper4Android, download and install busybox, then open settings, go to apps and disable Musicfx, then reboot and turn Viper4Android on.

Good luck

Thanks for answer and sharing your files. Unfortunately, there is some error when trying to restore in TWRP.
I packed all the items from your disk in ZIP and downloaded to the SD card .
I'm getting an error about the content: no MD5 file found Failed to map file'/external_sdxxxxxx-Full BACKUP.zip'
Error instaling zip file
. Do you have an idea why this is happening?

dantuko

Aug 28, 2012
SF
twrp settings

Thanks for answer and sharing your files. Unfortunately, there is some error when trying to restore in TWRP.
I packed all the items from your disk in ZIP and downloaded to the SD card .
I'm getting an error about the content: no MD5 file found Failed to map file'/external_sdxxxxxx-Full BACKUP.zip'
Error instaling zip file
. Do you have an idea why this is happening?

You need to change settings in twrp not to check md5 checksum, if it doesn't work then i'll create one with checksum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Onkyo dp-x1 rom on Pioneer xdp300r.

You need to change settings in twrp not to check md5 checksum, if it doesn't work then i'll create one with checksum.

Hello

I found on the Chinese site an older version of software for onkyo dp-x1 reworked by someone from root and I managed to upload it. It worked my dap came back to life. Then the system automatically downloaded the latest software version, I made root again and everything works as it should. the difference is now the yellow font color, the onkyo player and the name in the system call dp-x1. The rest is exactly the same as the pioneer.

If someone wants I can insert a link to the page with this software. There are two versions of this software 1.26 and 1.28.
    I installed the first one and everything worked without a problem.
    Then you can automatically download the latest version.

greetings
    Hi !

Edit :

Here's how to :

Edit #2 :
    Thanks to minotauri's great help, we managed to get a FULL rom backup, split the partitions to files and generate all the files needed for QFIL.

ErrOzz has been given access to this, hoping that he'll try it out soon.

If that works, I'll link you the files and write the walkthrough to bring you DAP back to life.

minotauri's contributions are not in rest tho, he managed to also successfuly patch TWRP for the device, so anyone can securely flash things from there now.

For anyone reading this thread : you're not the only one who screwed things up, we did too but we might have the cure. Hang in there !
    Hi !
    From the edl / qdload 9008 state, you can't afaik.

Here's how I think you can :

1 - Unplug your device from USB and power it off from whatever state it is.
    2 - Power it on pressing Power + Previous button (keep holding, you should be "stuck" on the penguin logo).
    3 - Connect your USB.
    4 - Check that you have a Android ADB Device in your device manager (install drivers manually if you have an Unknown device).
    5 - Grab any fastboot from the internet if you don't already have it (I'll PM you my gdrive, it's there for exemple).
    6 - From CMD, go to fastboot directory. (cd <my_folder_with_fastboot>).
    7 - Type in : fastboot devices
    If fastboot sees your device, you're on the good path, else, check your driver / connection / reboot to fastboot "penguin" state.
    8 - Type in : fastboot oem device-info
    If it replies
    (bootloader) Device unlocked: true
    among others, you're in a good, good way, else, you're screwed by now, but we are working on it.
    9 - If all the precedent are fulfilled type :
    fastboot flash boot <my_boot_image.img>
    10 - Mandatory Carlton.

I hope you'll be in the right path all the way, if you're stuck somewhere or if your bootloader is locked, please let me know.

Cheers !