[ROOT][BOOTLOADER][RECOVERY][STOCK][ SCH-I705 ] ROOT Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE

Search This thread

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
How to root VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE

RECOMMENDED METHOD
07/09/2014
Working root method by geohot. This is now the recommended method!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

CAN ALSO WORK ON VRBMI1
It has been said the following root method: saferoot
Has been able to root VRBMI1. Give this a try before using the system image below.

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Many of you have been complaining about broken wifi and other issues.
I do not own this tablet anymore, which means I can no longer support it.

Verizon/Samusung released a new update: VRBMI1
Check your firmware version
THE LAST VERSION SUPPORTED BY THIS GUIDE IS VRBLL2.

IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THE KEYS THEY SIGN THEIR FIRMWARE WITH, THAN ANY ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE/UNLOCK MAY POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
This has been seen on the VZW Galaxy S4 and just recently the VZW Galaxy S3 (The VZW Tab 2 is a clone of the S3!)

If you are on the latest build (VRBMI1), then it is entirely possible things will not work. It is also possible the bootloader unlock may brick your device.

If the root method doesn't work, flash a stock odin tar for VRBLL2.
AGAIN... IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THEIR KEYS, YOU MAY BRICK!

If you are on VRBMI1 and have semi-bricked using this method, flash this stock ODIN image using ODIN 3.04.
DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION, FLASH LOCK, OR LED CONTROL

VRBMI1
http://-/android/SCH-I705/ROMs/4.1.2/HOME_I705VRBMI1_1415457_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5

The above information is unknown to me. Do all at your own risk!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

READ FIRST
*** *** *** *** Disclaimer *** *** *** ***
I am not responsible if you break your stuff. READ READ READ
If you DO NOT own a VERIZON Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 SCH-I705 then DO NOT flash this! If you have not verified and flash this on a p3xxx tab, something will break and I will not help you!

Table of Contents
Step 1: Root
Step 2: Bootloader
Step 3: Recovery

OPTIONAL: Return to Stock

YOU MUST DO ALL STEPS IN ORDER 1-3
This will probably trip your flash counter!

Step 1 - root Make sure to READ! Select the correct method below.

Root ICS 4.0.4 - Use if you are on STOCK Ice Cream Sandwich ONLY
This is a pre-rooted J1 base system image. It has all the latest updates from Verizon.

*Pre-requisites*
A. Reboot into stock recovery and data wipe / factory reset.
B. Reboot directly into Download Mode.

*Flash Pre-Rooted System Image*
1. Install Samsung drivers for SCH-I705 - Download Here
2. Download stock rooted 7zip archive and extract ODIN image sch-i705_4.0.4_VRLJ1_prerooted_ODIN.7z
3. Open ODIN ODIN 3.04
4. Select the system.ext4.tar.md5 file in the PDA section, uncheck f. Reset time
5. Press START. This process can up to 10 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR TAB!!! Reboot.
6. Press the Thanks button
7. Go to Step 2

Root JB 4.1.2 - Use if you are on STOCK Jellybean ONLY
This is a pre-rooted VRBLL2 base Jellybean system image. It has all the latest updates from Verizon.

*Pre-requisites*

2. Download stock rooted 7zip archive and extract ODIN image jellybean-4.1.2-rooted_sch-i705.tar.md5-COMPRESSED.7z Just extract it
3. Open ODIN ODIN 3.04
4. Select the jellybean-4.1.2-rooted_sch-i705.tar.md5 file in the PDA section, uncheck f. Reset time
5. Press START. This process can up to 10 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR TAB!!! Reboot.
6. Press the Thanks button!!
7. Go to Step 2
Step 2 - Bootloader
Unlock Bootloader
Unlock your bootloader
How to UNLOCK VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 bootloader
Go to Step 3

Step 3 - Recovery
Custom Recovery
Flash CWM recovery OR TWRP recovery
How to flash unofficial ClockworkMod
How to flash unofficial TWRP

Once you got custom, NEVER accept an OTA!

Return to Stock

Download stock firmware, ODIN flashable. Extract .md5 from the .zip file. DO NOT EXTRACT ANYTHING OUT FROM THE .md5!
I705VRBLL2_I705VZWBLL2_VZW.zip

Reboot into DOWNLOAD mode.
Connect Device.

Open ODIN, select the .md5 in the PDA section. The ONLY checkboxes that should be checked are Reset Time and Auto Reboot.

Press START and WAIT! DO NOT UNPLUG DEVICE. IT WILL REBOOT ON IT'S OWN!

You are now stock.

Original root method for VRALG3 (original factory firmware) was achieved using RootDebugFS.bat :)

Thanks to
miloj
Noxious Ninja
sparkym3
joYstick61
Ezgoing2406
Scrosler

Last edited:

nexttonomy

Dec 22, 2008
THIS WORKED!

Just wanted to post in this thread too... so ppl know that this method works...

Thanks again MrHyde

Nexttonomy

leakim13

Oct 27, 2010
Root Fail SCH-i705 Galaxy 2 Vzn LTE 7.0

cant figure out why this isnt working... could someone give a little more detail about why? followed every step to the letter.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-05-13-39-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-05-13-39-21.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,896
  • export_08.jpg
    export_08.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,805
Last edited:

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
cant figure out why this isnt working... could someone give a little more detail about why? followed every step to the letter.

Thanks in Advance

Are other apps such as TB, Terminal, or AdFree Android able to gain root privileges? If so, then Busybox Installer may have been denied. Check Superuser and remove it from the Denied list if it's there. After removing it, try again and make sure to tap "Allow" when it asks.

EDIT: Downloaded that app to test. SU asked if I wanted to grant SU permissions, tapped 'Grant'. All is fine. If it's NOT in the SU denied list, Force Close the app. Reopen it and it should ask.

Last edited:

Xer0daze

Oct 15, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks, I did that. I also noticed in system/app there were SDM.apk and SDM.odix. I went ahead an renamed them SDM.apk.bak and SDM.odix.bak. I'm hoping this will get rid of the nag notification. One last thing - the update tried to run overnight once but CWM stopped it. When I woke up the tab was sitting on the CWM screen. Since then every time I reboot the tab it acts as if dalvik cache was cleared (I get the "android is upgrading - optimizing applications" screen before the tab loads). I think OTA set a reboot/clear cache flag somewhere I need to clear, but I don't know where that is set. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Xer0daze

Oct 15, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the reply - Yep. I factory reset a couple days ago and made the update changes mentioned earlier. I no longer get the OTA notifications (YAY), but every time I restart the device it still rebuilds cache. I've formatted the cache partition, cleared dalvik cache, and as I mentioned, I tried a factory reset as well. This is the only hurdle I have left to clear. Out of curiosity, why are there no custom roms for the VZW version of this device? The VZW version doesn't carry the same model numbers as the retail models (GT-Pxxxx). The verizon device is simply SCH-I705 - there don't seem to be any roms for that. Isn't the only real difference the radio? I've asked around the forums, but not gotten a reply from anyone on this. I'd love to try some custom roms on this tab, and I'm sure that would fix the majority of my issues, but I have yet to find one.

Reactions: dirtyrob

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
There is actually a big difference between the wifi and lte devices. The i705 is closer related to the i535 (gs3) than it is the wifi tab 2's. And there are no custom ROMs yet becuase there are so few of us that own it, and even fewer (two of us actually..) who are trying to get anything done on it. I'm a novice developer so I'm still learning the process of ROM development. On top of that, I'm very busy working two jobs, saving up for a wedding. Unless someone else is capable of getting more development done we may only have 1 or two custom stock roms floating around, which is what I'm working on ever so slowly. CM10 and the others a bit out of my league right now.

If anyone wants to try to bring more attention to this device, feel free to do so. It'd be helpful to have people who know what they're doing more than me.

Reactions: websphere610

Xer0daze

Oct 15, 2010
Bellevue, WA
MrHyde03 -

Thank you so much for the detailed information. That is exactly what I've been looking for... exactly THAT. Congrats on the upcoming wedding by the way. That's awesome.

I might be willing to donate or lend a device to the right person if potential exists for that to result in a working Rom.I wouldn't know where to begin on that. I am in the Seattle area but can ship if necessary. I like CM10 and have Paranoid Rom (based on CM10) running on my GS3 and I'd absolutely LOVE to have the same features on my SCH-I705. I have the tab mounted in my car and It's a really great device, but the stock rom is HORRIBLE. For one, this 'loud volume warning' (whenever playing music over headphones or line output, it decreases the volume because, according to Samsung, I'm not a big enough boy to make my own decisions with regards to my own hearing) is driving me absolutely crazy. My GS3 did the same thing, but since I've rooted and loaded custom roms on it, I've loved it.

Thank you again for being one of the few to reply to my questions and for providing these details, you are appreciated.

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
I'm getting this:

Step 1 - Pushing files...
failed to copy 'debugfs' to '/data/local//debugfs': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local//su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'debugfsinput' to '/data/local//debugfsinput': Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

Rebooting...
Once your devices has finished restarting,
Press any key to continue . . .

Step 2 - Rooting...
For this step, ignore any error messages that say "File not found"
Unable to chmod /data/local/debugfs: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: can't open /data/local/debugfsinput: No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp, Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp.bak' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfs, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfsinput, No such file or directory

Rooting FAILED! You may want to try running this tool again.
Your device region may not be supported if you see this message again.

Press any key to continue . . .

Could this have anything to do with me not yet having a sim card for the device (region??)?

RevosFTS

Aug 23, 2011
I get permission denied errors when trying to push su and other files. Cannot obtain root. Any help?

JelloB

Jul 12, 2010
What version android do you have? This is only confirmed on 4.0.4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

I'm gonna try again today now that I have a sim, but I doubt that's the issue.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I'm gonna try again today now that I have a sim, but I doubt that's the issue.

Same thing. No luck.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

I get permission denied errors when trying to push su and other files. Cannot obtain root. Any help?

Looks like we're having the same problem.

RevosFTS

Aug 23, 2011
Yeah we have the same exact error. I am tempted to try manually pushing the root files through adb. I may have to call the banners though. Perhaps Liquid would be willimg to help.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Damn, if I had only seen this before I went TO the Verizon store, lol.

Oh well. I was just going to root and get a ROM out for everyone.

If anyone finds root let me know and I can start ROMS!

OP: You should put "not working" in title so people dont fill the thread with.. OMG it doesnt work!

Last edited:
Reactions: JelloB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE

RECOMMENDED METHOD
    07/09/2014
    Working root method by geohot. This is now the recommended method!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

CAN ALSO WORK ON VRBMI1
    It has been said the following root method: saferoot
    Has been able to root VRBMI1. Give this a try before using the system image below.

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Many of you have been complaining about broken wifi and other issues.
    I do not own this tablet anymore, which means I can no longer support it.

Verizon/Samusung released a new update: VRBMI1
    Check your firmware version
    THE LAST VERSION SUPPORTED BY THIS GUIDE IS VRBLL2.

IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THE KEYS THEY SIGN THEIR FIRMWARE WITH, THAN ANY ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE/UNLOCK MAY POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
    This has been seen on the VZW Galaxy S4 and just recently the VZW Galaxy S3 (The VZW Tab 2 is a clone of the S3!)

If you are on the latest build (VRBMI1), then it is entirely possible things will not work. It is also possible the bootloader unlock may brick your device.

If the root method doesn't work, flash a stock odin tar for VRBLL2.
    AGAIN... IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THEIR KEYS, YOU MAY BRICK!

If you are on VRBMI1 and have semi-bricked using this method, flash this stock ODIN image using ODIN 3.04.
    DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION, FLASH LOCK, OR LED CONTROL

VRBMI1
    http://-/android/SCH-I705/ROMs/4.1.2/HOME_I705VRBMI1_1415457_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5

The above information is unknown to me. Do all at your own risk!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

READ FIRST
    *** *** *** *** Disclaimer *** *** *** ***
    I am not responsible if you break your stuff. READ READ READ
    If you DO NOT own a VERIZON Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 SCH-I705 then DO NOT flash this! If you have not verified and flash this on a p3xxx tab, something will break and I will not help you!

Table of Contents
    Step 1: Root
    Step 2: Bootloader
    Step 3: Recovery

OPTIONAL: Return to Stock

YOU MUST DO ALL STEPS IN ORDER 1-3
    This will probably trip your flash counter!

Step 1 - root Make sure to READ! Select the correct method below.

Root ICS 4.0.4 - Use if you are on STOCK Ice Cream Sandwich ONLY
    This is a pre-rooted J1 base system image. It has all the latest updates from Verizon.

*Pre-requisites*

2. Download stock rooted 7zip archive and extract ODIN image sch-i705_4.0.4_VRLJ1_prerooted_ODIN.7z
    3. Open ODIN ODIN 3.04
    4. Select the system.ext4.tar.md5 file in the PDA section, uncheck f. Reset time
    6. Press the Thanks button
    7. Go to Step 2

Root JB 4.1.2 - Use if you are on STOCK Jellybean ONLY
    This is a pre-rooted VRBLL2 base Jellybean system image. It has all the latest updates from Verizon.

*Pre-requisites*

2. Download stock rooted 7zip archive and extract ODIN image jellybean-4.1.2-rooted_sch-i705.tar.md5-COMPRESSED.7z Just extract it
    3. Open ODIN ODIN 3.04
    4. Select the jellybean-4.1.2-rooted_sch-i705.tar.md5 file in the PDA section, uncheck f. Reset time
    6. Press the Thanks button!!
    7. Go to Step 2
    Step 2 - Bootloader
    Unlock Bootloader
    Unlock your bootloader
    How to UNLOCK VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 bootloader
    Go to Step 3

Step 3 - Recovery
    Custom Recovery
    Flash CWM recovery OR TWRP recovery
    How to flash unofficial ClockworkMod
    How to flash unofficial TWRP

Once you got custom, NEVER accept an OTA!

Return to Stock

Download stock firmware, ODIN flashable. Extract .md5 from the .zip file. DO NOT EXTRACT ANYTHING OUT FROM THE .md5!
    I705VRBLL2_I705VZWBLL2_VZW.zip

Reboot into DOWNLOAD mode.
    Connect Device.

Open ODIN, select the .md5 in the PDA section. The ONLY checkboxes that should be checked are Reset Time and Auto Reboot.

Press START and WAIT! DO NOT UNPLUG DEVICE. IT WILL REBOOT ON IT'S OWN!

You are now stock.

Original root method for VRALG3 (original factory firmware) was achieved using RootDebugFS.bat :)

Thanks to
    miloj
    Noxious Ninja
    sparkym3
    joYstick61
    Ezgoing2406
    Scrosler
    Already have my boot in my mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?48lkujaqssylkg7

Sent from my SCH-i705 using xda app-developers app
    I am uploading it now.. It just takes forever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2