[APP] LUMOS v1.0 *FINAL* (Complete HTC Auto-Backlight replacement) [UPD.:08-02-2011]

Search This thread

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
It doesn't work? Did you try the troubleshooting guide in first post? I see no reason why wouldn't it.

Mutiny32

Nov 27, 2007
Kansas City
mutiny32.com
nik3r, first off, thanks so much for this excellent program. It is totally awesome.

Secondly, I have a question/bug. This is regarding a Rhodium W (Sprint TP2) with 6.5. The program functions perfectly except for one thing, which is the backlight minimum step in the calibration wizard. It seems that either the HTC sensor SDK automatically reports "0" when first polled for a backlight reading or you have a dummy value of "0" set for the minimum. I can tell because the reading will always register as "6" on my phone as the darkest value. Oddly, sometimes it will read a few higher like "8" when the sensor is covered and the maximum is offset exactly the same the positive variance from 6, but it is almost always 6 for my phone. I have to manually set this after calibration.

Now as you can see, my sensor never reads 0, but the calibration always sticks to 0. Is this because of a dummy value or some behavior the sensor does when first polled that could cause this?

I also have a question regarding you mentioning the checkbox for "Excl. for active window" and 6.5. Should this be checked? I'm not clear on what this does exactly. Could you explain a little better?

Again, thanks a lot and I hope you don't stop at RC2, because as other users have said, the sensor values on newer devices seem to go much higher than you originally designed the program to expect.

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Thanks for reporting, I already know about this issue, the problem lies in the sensor drivers, because they return 0 when the sensor is not yet inicialized. It's on my todo list... which is quite long ATM :D

Mutiny32

Nov 27, 2007
Kansas City
mutiny32.com
Thanks for reporting, I already know about this issue, the problem lies in the sensor drivers, because they return 0 when the sensor is not yet inicialized. It's on my todo list... which is quite long ATM :D
Ah, I understand. Couldn't you simply put in a function to wait 1-2 seconds before taking a minimum reading? Just a suggestion. :)

As for the Excl. for active window, should that be checked or not? I think it should remain unchecked judging by the day I had it checked. It seemed to break proper functionality and performance took a hit, so I un-checked it and all was well again.

Again, thanks for the great program and keep it up! I'll send a few bucks your way. :)

zarn

May 19, 2006
Stornoway
Backlight Off

Hi,
I'm sorry if this has already been asked,I have spent a fair while digging through the thread but couldn't find it and its painfully slow on gprs...

I very much like Lumos but for me there is one feature missing (using a touch Pro/6.5) and that is a backlight/screen off timeout option.
Most of the time I don't want my phone to go into standby or many applications stop running. At the moment I have to use an application to manually switch off the backlight but that means if I miss a call, an email comes in or its in my pocket and I change track via the remote the backlight comes back on and kills the battery even faster.

Any Chance?
Many thanks
Jay

tyguy

Feb 11, 2008
SoCal
Jay, not sure if what you want would make Lumos a very complex battery sucking piece of software zombie.
For my part I have my phone set to backlight off after 1 minute and off after 3 minutes. I'm also used to lock my phone every single time with long press end key (to prevent butt dialing AND to preserve battery). Perhaps these two tricks do it for you as well since Lumos is designed to preserve battery while USING the phone at any given moment by balancing the battery sucking backlight level to an optimum.

zarn

May 19, 2006
Stornoway
Hi,
my problem is stopping the phone going into standby, as I am sure you know for some reason HTC in there infinite wisdom decided to make the backlight off feature simply a backlight dim on the touch pro. Then when the phone turns itself off many applications stop working if they don't force the phone to run them eg most im apps. I simply want to find an application that will time out the backlight but not standby the phone as all smartphones do.
I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to implement and there are many posts on the net asking to be able to do this. Yes the phone will use quite a bit more power if not in standby but by no means as much as not in standby with the backlight on. I have a home brew 6000mah battery so power isnt a problem, but I would just like to maximise what I have. And at the end of the day if you don't need the feature you could always switch it of. It would then mean I can actually use my touch pro rather than it staying on my desk and me using the old s710, it may be slow but at least it does what I need it to.

An interesting article on smartphone and PPC power management here (http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2006/08/16/702833.aspx)
Cheers
Jay

kamikaze458

May 30, 2009
-Working flawlessly here: HTC Fuze + Win 6.5.3 (thick bottom bar).

-It improved my battery life.

-Thanks nik3r! Great piece of software.

sifaan

Aug 2, 2006
Colombo
Acer Neotouch?

Hi!

I would really love to try this out!
Any chance of getting this to work on the Acer Neotouch?

I get an error message (no HTCSensorSDK), and I tried downloading a copy to the Windows folder, and the error message disappeared (which doesn't necessarily mean it's working, just that the DLL was found?)

Anyway, when I try to run the wizard, a language selection dialog box appears, and then disappears...

Thanks
/Sifaan

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Perhaps if you can point me to a sensor SDK that works for your device I could make it compatible, no chance otherwise.

ronald_delgeano

Jan 22, 2010
Jakarta
Hi,
I'm trying your lumos V10RC2, but i don't know if is it running or not ?
my stupid questions are :)
1. How do i know my lumos is running ?
2. On the 1st step it said that i have to close the sensor light, Where is sensor light ? :)
thanks

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Lumos is working once you tap save&apply or after soft reset, you don't see anything other than it doing its job on external light change. You can also see it in task manager that shows running processes.

The sensor looks like a little LED and it's usually placed around the front phone speaker. However current Lumos version has a bug in calibration that renders the first step useless, it always shows 0.

And yes, I will fix it.. eventually :D

ronald_delgeano

Jan 22, 2010
Jakarta
Lumos is working once you tap save&apply or after soft reset, you don't see anything other than it doing its job on external light change. You can also see it in task manager that shows running processes.

The sensor looks like a little LED and it's usually placed around the front phone speaker. However current Lumos version has a bug in calibration that renders the first step useless, it always shows 0.

And yes, I will fix it.. eventually :D
I can't see lumos in my task manager :(
but, when i click lumos.exe from program files,it said " do you want to stop lumos?" something like that, is it mean my lumos has run ?
thanks

tyguy

Feb 11, 2008
SoCal
I can't see lumos in my task manager :(
but, when i click lumos.exe from program files,it said " do you want to stop lumos?" something like that, is it mean my lumos has run ?
thanks
You wont see Lumos in the task manager as a "running" program. Look at the processes, there you'll find it taking almost zero ressources and just a few bytes in memory. Great app until day one it was released.

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
Seems there's an issue with Lumos and the G-sensor on the HD2. When Lumos is running, it makes any app that uses the G-sensor hang for a moment everytime it reads the light sensor. On an app like Caver (ageye.de), it locks about 500ms at every sensor read, making the game unplayable. It's less noticeable in the built-in Teeter game, but still visible.

I'm on the official 1.66 ROM, but others have reported it too.

Would it be possible to disable auto backlight control by Lumos, but just keep the exceptions?
I'm OK with the built-in auto backlight control, but would just want the backlight to be forced to full in selected applications (photo and video viewer). Could Lumos have a mode that only monitors the active window, if an exception is found it forces backight to the set level like now, and otherwise just activates the device's default auto backlight function? That would be a workaround until a sensor read fix is found.

Last edited:

camillelfg

Nov 9, 2009
Paris
Scale in HTC auto mode ?

Hello

I'm experiencing some little lags due to Lumos in a lot of applications on my HTC HD2. Therefore, I'd prefer to avoid using it, even if it works fine in term of efficiency.

The only thing that was annoying me before is the range of possible brightness in the automatic mode, which seems to be only from 30% to about 80%.
It's a to small range, especially in the dark areas!

Does somebody know how to change this range with a simple regkey?

The only ones I found are in Current_user\ControlPanel\Backlight :
MaxBrightnessScale and MinBrightnessScale, but they only seem to concern the range in the manual mode...

Where to find the same in auto mode? That would be a simple change...

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final Version

Lumos version 1.0 FINAL
    has been officially released.

Most notable new features:
    - stability/performance fixes
    - Relative Exceptions (see FAQ)
    - exceptions that prevent device sleep
    - support for simple command-line services (see FAQ)
    - support for QVGA / HVGA displays
    - fixed issues and detection of defective light sensors that never report 0
    - automated handling of built-in auto backlight related issues (may require restart after installation to apply fix)
    - some ability to identify missing HTC drivers and offer a solution

Please note you can freely update over RC2 version and keep most of your settings but you will lose all per-app exceptions due to compatibility problems.

Also note that some new features may appear in English as they are not yet translated. Fixed translations may be released in the future if there is demand.

Download the new version in first post.

FAQ is in second post and is being updated if you have any questions about the new features.
    You're right, someone should write the documentation... someone.. :D

For now this will have to do:
    Backlight change 2500 (ms) - set to 1250 means
    Lumos checks for backlight every poll but doesn't usually change the backlight on every single poll to save CPU cycles.

Basically you are looking for light every 1250ms (looking at sensor is quite cheap if it's not polled extremely often) and you use a multiplier of 2x for backlight change 1250*2=2500ms (actually performing the BL change is most CPU costly thing Lumos does, about 3,5% peak).

BL = min below (lumens) dims the display to absolute minimum regardless of other settings once sensor is below the value.

HW keyboard dim timeout - obviously keyboard backlight duration when you slide open/type.

CLP was removed in last version, it had no practical use.

MODE tab specifies how backlight behaves in relation to sensor values, there are 3 presets or you can mix your own flavor. The default is best for most users.

Relative exception (and this IS explained in the FAQ I believe) means amplification/attenuation of the automatic backlight for some app rather than one fixed level. Retais auto-levelling but increases or decreases the result by some amount when your app is running. Basically gets you better readability for some apps and still saves battery compared to static level. Or it can be used to decrease backligh by an amount for some apps.. can't think of an usage scenario but I'm sure there is one ;)

I tried to explain the stuff that is not self-explanatory in the FAQ (second post here) take a look.
    I remember now why I haven't implemented it. The problem is when you turn the device on under direct sunlight, this behaviour would make you unable to see anything for the duration of one cycle (little over a second in worst case scenario on stock settings). That's why this should be an option if anything and not forced. I for one like it the way it is and having high-ish (last used) backlight for a second is better than not seeing anything for a second.

Your argument that you turn the display off and on often just proves my point. When there's sunlight, you would have to wait every time for the backlight to adjust to current conditions, instead of having it rather brighter and then dimming to appropriate levels if it got darker since you last used it.

I suppose it's a matter of preference, but current model is unarguably more practical outside and the effect on battery is actually positive.

Lumos remembers the last backlight used, so unless you change bright and dark places between the switches, it doesn't need to do any work at all, actually doing less adjustments in the long run - saving CPU time and in turn battery, since the actual BL change is most costly task.

If the display is darkened when you turn it on, unless you are indoors in minimal light, Lumos will have to do at least the same number of changes as now in best case scenario - making more work in the long run (not saving battery) and making you miserable in the process, delaying the first interaction with your device by over a second in some conditions.
    Lumos for Android is now available at Google Play Store
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.eliteforce.lumos
    cool...
    looking forward to trying and testing it.

OK - I'll make sure to send a beta link your way when I *think* it should work. I'm kind of blindfolded at the moment.
    The changes are not dramatic, you can see all changes in the second post it's mainly tweaks and bugfixes.