[TF300TG][Guide] Flashing back the original stock ROM

Search This thread

Auliyaa

May 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm owning A TF300TG model and I recently tried to flash one of the ROMS referrenced on those forums and by doing so I found out that my tablet had lost the 3G features so I had to flash back the Asus stock ROM to get it back.

Since I saw many of you got trouble reinstalling the stock ROM, I decided to write a quick guide on how to do it so everyone could get their tablet fully working again :)

Note: For the record, when I did the following operations, I already had unlocked the bootloader and installed the CWM recovery.

Disclaimer:
By following this guide, you will have to issue commands that risk to damage (aka. brick) your tablet or at least void your warranty. I won't be responsible for any damage made to your device. You've been warned.

1. Download the stock ROM zip file on Asus website (current version is [WW | TW]_epaduser9_4_4_28_1UpdateLauncher.zip) for the TF300TG tablet. Be sure to download the firmware matching your SKU.
  2. Unzip the downloaded file, you will get another archive called , unzip this one too
  3. You should end up with several file, with one of them called blob
  4. For the next step, you will need to install the Android SDK to get the fastboot utility. If you do not know how to use fastboot, you should take a look at this guide.
  5. Once you have installed fastboot, boot your tablet into fastboot mode (Plugin your tablet on your computer's USB, Hold down Power+VolDown, dont press VolUp when prompted, select the USB icon and press VolUp)
  6. Open a command line terminal and navigate to the folder containing the blob file.
  7. Then type the following command:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob
  8. For some reason, the transfer seems to fail from time to time, if so, just try again by going back to previous step.
  9. Once the transfer is done and you get that sweet "SUCCESS" printed on your screen, just type the following command to reboot your tablet:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

And there you have ! You are now back to stock ROM with fully working 3G :)

ZaJules

Sep 13, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Thanks a lot for this, I found these instructions on Wolf's thread but wasnt sure it would work with our devices, Thanks for taking the first big step.

Questions.
1. Does this wipe your data?
2. Does CWM still work after?

ZaJules

Sep 13, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Hi, followed the steps but it didnt work for me

Fastboot copies the file but after when it tries to flash it gives an error

sending 'system' (796653 KB)...
OKAY [137.443s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: ()
finished. total time: 138.477s

The Tab shows
Failed to process command flash:system error(0x170003)

The progress bar is showing under the USB logo with 1% blue, after hold power down I'm back into Onyx Rom

Any Thoughts?

Auliyaa

May 18, 2012
I had the same problem and I just issued the same command a second time and it worked just fine :)

Try to format your /system (under the mounts and storage option) from CWM and wipe data and cache.

Reactions: ZaJules

ZaJules

Sep 13, 2005
Port Elizabeth
2nd time a charm!

Worked fine the second time i ran the command,
Im back to stock again :good:

I will wait for a 3G friendly Rom before flashing again

Thanks for your help

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

AFAIK, this will wipe your data, remove CWM and uninstall root. Your device's bootloader will still stay unlocked though.

You will have to flash CWM back using this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668173

Yip Sends you back to total stock
Stock Recovery
Stock Rom
only thing that sticks is Unlocked Bootloader

Reactions: Auliyaa

JezzAU

Jul 26, 2012
Thanks heaps for this :)

I ended up in trouble when I flashed the TF300T firmware by mistake. It kept freezing and rebooting on me after that little stuff up.
Anyhow before I did that I made a backup with CWM, and after I restored it my 3G was gone but everything else worked fine.
Manual updates were failed though and they still do. At least I have my 3G back :victory:

So this method would probably work for upgrading to .40 as well, but it means a complete datawipe!
I'm sure there are many of us in the same boat now. I guess we will just have to wait and hope that some kind person makes a recovery image for the TF300TG?

VicRC

Mar 7, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm owning A TF300TG model and I recently tried to flash one of the ROMS referrenced on those forums and by doing so I found out that my tablet had lost the 3G features so I had to flash back the Asus stock ROM to get it back.

Since I saw many of you got trouble reinstalling the stock ROM, I decided to write a quick guide on how to do it so everyone could get their tablet fully working again :)

Note: For the record, when I did the following operations, I already had unlocked the bootloader and installed the CWM recovery.

1. Download the stock ROM zip file on Asus website (current version is [WW | TW]_epaduser9_4_4_28_1UpdateLauncher.zip) for the TF300TG tablet. Be sure to download the firmware matching your SKU.
  2. Unzip the downloaded file, you will get another archive called , unzip this one too
  4. For the next step, you will need to install the Android SDK to get the fastboot utility. If you do not know how to use fastboot, you should take a look at this guide.
  5. Once you have installed fastboot, boot your tablet into fastboot mode (Plugin your tablet on your computer's USB, Hold down Power+VolDown, dont press VolUp when prompted, select the USB icon and press VolUp)
  6. Open a command line terminal and navigate to the folder containing the blob file.
  8. For some reason, the transfer seems to fail from time to time, if so, just try again by going back to previous step.
  9. Once the transfer is done and you get that sweet "SUCCESS" printed on your screen, just type the following command to reboot your tablet:

I got a question, i had problems with the touch since the last update, so i want to go back to the original, so my question is to perform this do i have to have the bootloader unlocked?

benoitvdh

Aug 8, 2012
Don't work for me

Hi everyone,

Hi, followed the steps but it didnt work for me too

sending 'system' (796581 KB)...
OKAY [129.964s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 182.134s

The Tab shows
signature mismatch

Can you help me?

coreoflorin

Sep 2, 2012
hy

i'm having a problem with my tf300t...when i turn it on it shows the asus logo and in the upper left it show device is unlocked...but i can't enter the menu showing rck and the other 3 icons...i really don't know what to do...
then there is another thing...tried to install driver...i get to the part where the tablet is visible, but with the vol up and reset with a pin...it then shuts down and if i try to power it up it dissapears from the device manager...also...if i don't turn it up, the driver can't be installed...i tried every method...please help...
can i retun it to the repair service this way or i will loose my waranty?
sorry if the spelling isn't correct...i don't speak english fluently
waiting a response...thanks in advance

rayman

Senior Recognized Developer
May 1, 2008
Hi everyone,

Using
is a tad wrong. It works, but only by accident.
You should be using
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob

The technical reason for why your command works, is because the nvidia bootloader writes files to the staging area before writing it to the partition you specify.
What essentially happens is:
  1. Blob is written to staging
  2. Blob is copied to system (meaning non-booting system)
  3. On reboot, blob is "extracted" from staging and properly flashed.
Step 3 is what makes it work in the end, but you are causing an extra unneeded write to the flash (step 2 is not really needed) :) (In this case it works, but it potentially increases the risk of bricking)

zurny

May 17, 2012
Hi, followed the steps but it didnt work for me too

sending 'system' (796581 KB)...
OKAY [129.964s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 182.134s

The Tab shows
signature mismatch

Can you help me?

Your probably running Jellybean, if so this HOWTO does'nt work.

Blackdrag

May 11, 2011
Question: What exactly is supposed to happen? First I tried it and got the fail and did it a second time and it seemingly worked. In my command prompt it ended with

"writing 'system' ... OKAY"

and wasn't doing anything after that in the command prompt and on the tablet there was a full status bar so it looked like whatever it was doing it was finished? So I held the power button and I think it was a boot loop ... it just was the ASUS screen with the spinning circle. So I just did it again, failed the first time did it again and now I am where I left off. I guess I will wait a while and see if it says "SUCCESS" on my tablet? And if not I will put in the reboot command? (I probably should have tried that last time instead of holding the power button I forgot about the last couple lines of the guide :p)

EDIT: Or is it cuz I am flashing the wrong SKU? I didn't know what one my tablet is supposed to be ... its a cyanogenmod build so I don't think I cant find what the SKU is supposed to be. I went with US SKU because I live in the United States but I don't know if that's what it is :p

EDIT2: After waiting a while with no "SUCCESS" Windows said that adb.exe crashed or something. So I put in the reboot command but now it seems to be stuck on the ASUS loading screen again.

Last edited:

0nyx7

Jun 25, 2012
Question: What exactly is supposed to happen? First I tried it and got the fail and did it a second time and it seemingly worked. In my command prompt it ended with

"writing 'system' ... OKAY"

and wasn't doing anything after that in the command prompt and on the tablet there was a full status bar so it looked like whatever it was doing it was finished? So I held the power button and I think it was a boot loop ... it just was the ASUS screen with the spinning circle. So I just did it again, failed the first time did it again and now I am where I left off. I guess I will wait a while and see if it says "SUCCESS" on my tablet? And if not I will put in the reboot command? (I probably should have tried that last time instead of holding the power button I forgot about the last couple lines of the guide :p)

EDIT: Or is it cuz I am flashing the wrong SKU? I didn't know what one my tablet is supposed to be ... its a cyanogenmod build so I don't think I cant find what the SKU is supposed to be. I went with US SKU because I live in the United States but I don't know if that's what it is :p

EDIT2: After waiting a while with no "SUCCESS" Windows said that adb.exe crashed or something. So I put in the reboot command but now it seems to be stuck on the ASUS loading screen again.

I have a WW TF300T and had no problem flashing a US version.. so its no SKU problem :) how long did you wait on the ASUS screen with the spinning circle? It took up to 5 mins for me! just wait a lil bit longer next time.. And there comes no "SUCCESS" on the tablet! only a blue bar that should be full after SUCCESS comes up in your Fastboot-COMMANDLINE.. the reboot with the fastboot reboot command from the first page..just give your tab a bit more time.. its like a babe. handle it with care :silly:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcdan333

nikwid

Mar 18, 2010
Success!

Hazaa! I can confirm that I managed to flash back to stock by flashing the blob to the staging partition. Like so many other, the first flash failed but the second time worked. I now have working 3G again! :)

Blackdrag

May 11, 2011
I have a WW TF300T and had no problem flashing a US version.. so its no SKU problem :) how long did you wait on the ASUS screen with the spinning circle? It took up to 5 mins for me! just wait a lil bit longer next time.. And there comes no "SUCCESS" on the tablet! only a blue bar that should be full after SUCCESS comes up in your Fastboot-COMMANDLINE.. the reboot with the fastboot reboot command from the first page..just give your tab a bit more time.. its like a babe. handle it with care :silly:

Thanks for the reply 0nyx7!

I had waited a while, maybe 10-20 minutes? But I don't remember entirely. I tried flashing the stock firmware a few times but eventually I just gave up. I didn't like the possibility that my tablet was bricked so I just aborted mission and decided to go back to cm10 where it was safe. I just looked up a post on how to flash Clockworkmod Recovery with fasboot and then flashed a cm10 nightly I already had on my internal storage. So all is good... ;) Mostly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

Disclaimer:
    By following this guide, you will have to issue commands that risk to damage (aka. brick) your tablet or at least void your warranty. I won't be responsible for any damage made to your device. You've been warned.

fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot

Hi everyone,

Using
    is a tad wrong. It works, but only by accident.
    You should be using
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash staging blob

The technical reason for why your command works, is because the nvidia bootloader writes files to the staging area before writing it to the partition you specify.
    What essentially happens is:
    1. Blob is written to staging
    2. Blob is copied to system (meaning non-booting system)
    3. On reboot, blob is "extracted" from staging and properly flashed.
    Step 3 is what makes it work in the end, but you are causing an extra unneeded write to the flash (step 2 is not really needed) :) (In this case it works, but it potentially increases the risk of bricking)
    AFAIK, this will wipe your data, remove CWM and uninstall root. Your device's bootloader will still stay unlocked though.

You will have to flash CWM back using this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668173
    I had the same problem and I just issued the same command a second time and it worked just fine :)

Try to format your /system (under the mounts and storage option) from CWM and wipe data and cache.
    2nd time a charm!

Worked fine the second time i ran the command,
    Im back to stock again :good:

I will wait for a 3G friendly Rom before flashing again

Thanks for your help

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Yip Sends you back to total stock
    Stock Recovery
    Stock Rom
    only thing that sticks is Unlocked Bootloader