Ask noob(newb) questions here.

Search This thread

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
It sounds like you might be overcomplicatiing things. All you need is CWM 6.x.x, either installed internally or running from an as sd-card.
I outlined how I did it the first time I did it inthis post: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469

It can be done easier or more elegantly than that, but it's certainly not complicated at all! I have worked with other devices and I find the Tablet to be the easiest to deal with of them all. Of course thanks to all the excellent work done by the amazing developers!

An even easier way than outlined in my old post:
1. Download and burn any of Succulents sd-card images to run CM10 (or 10.1) from sd card. This image also works as a bootable CWM card. It's a big download and if you're comfortable setting up your own partitions and stuff you don't need it, but if you want it really easy you can use it!

2. Boot into CWM on that card by holding "n" when booting and on Cyanoboot screen choose "sd recovery" or something similar (don't have a Tablet any more so don't remember exactlty)

3. Wipe Dalvik and cache and flash the ROM and appropriate gApps. (Once in CWM I think you can switch to another sd-card that holds the files)

Reactions: ThePhantom97

sauerquint

Mar 6, 2013
Anchorage
I don't know what you mean with this. Install a CM10 or CM10. 1 and you will not see any trace of BN.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk 2

So it wipes out the BN operating system and replaces it? I'm running Al Wertz version of CM. At the time it was 20 bucks and really easy. It's 7.1, and there are more than a few traces of BN. I have been unable to install 10.1 so far. I am wondering if it's worth the effort. That's why I am asking what is possibly a silly question. The locked bootloader may be the barrier.

The Roms seem to retain some portion of that Nook OS. The boot screen is still Nook, or pressing the N button brings up the Nook menu. I've rooted a Samsung Galaxy phone and a Motorola Droid 3, these appear to be more complete replacements. So far, what I have sampled for the Nook seems designed with reverting to the Nook OS in mind. I am wondering if there is one that replaces it entirely, no restoring or reverting to the factory. I want to void the warranty.

Last edited:

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
What you have running is still stock. It is not an alternative ROM. All you've done is rooted it, i.e. opened it up for you manipulations.

If you install an alternative ROM it will run instead of BN stock.

Read my post above yours and you'll see it's extremely easy to install CM10!

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
So it wipes out the BN operating system and replaces it? I'm running Al Wertz version of CM. At the time it was 20 bucks and really easy. It's 7.1, and there are more than a few traces of BN. I have been unable to install 10.1 so far. I am wondering if it's worth the effort. That's why I am asking what is possibly a silly question. The locked bootloader may be the barrier.

The Roms seem to retain some portion of that Nook OS. The boot screen is still Nook, or pressing the N button brings up the Nook menu. I've rooted a Samsung Galaxy phone and a Motorola Droid 3, these appear to be more complete replacements. So far, what I have sampled for the Nook seems designed with reverting to the Nook OS in mind. I am wondering if there is one that replaces it entirely, no restoring or reverting to the factory. I want to void the warranty.
See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37515697&postcount=31 for some background info on difference between "rooted stock ROM" vs. custom ROM (e.g., CM10), as well as some pointers on rooting & flashing custom ROM.

Reactions: sauerquint

ThePhantom97

Aug 6, 2012
Robinson
Ok, this tablet is about to beat me.

My above statement is not true, I think, I am running a rooted stock w/ADW. I created the sd card boot image w/cwm 5.x on it, installed cwm 6.x from internal memory, rebooted tab, no option to boot into cyanoboot. I used the goo manager app to boot into recovery and it has 6.x installed. Tried to wipe data/cache/dalvik but after saying yes to wipe data just got a black screen and was able to reboot via plugging in the usb chord. No data was wiped. I want to install a jelly bean rom internally, don't want to use the sd card method. So here are my questions:

1. How do I unlock the boot loader to boot into recovery?
2. What is cyanoboot and is it required? And if it is how to I get it installed on the tablet w/o Linux?
3. I have a 16 gb tablet, is the codename Blaze or Acclaim?
4. Am I the only one that wants to put a bullet through this tablet and call it a day?

Please trust me, I have googled, watched youtube vids, search on this NT forum, and there is so much info that I have read, but seems like everyone had a different method or some of the things are now outdated and I don't know what to read. Most of what I have read say to us the "n" button to boot into cyanoboot but I don't have that installed and not sure how to get it. I appreciate any help to get me moving on the right track.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I want to install a jelly bean rom internally, don't want to use the sd card method.
I appreciate any help to get me moving on the right track.
If you don't want to use sdcard-based method, and assuming that your NT is operational, you can try the method outlined at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40998406&postcount=3 (since you already have CWM installed internally, just skip the part in the instruction about using CWM sdcard to install CWM internally).

ThePhantom97

Aug 6, 2012
Robinson
If you don't want to use sdcard-based method, and assuming that your NT is operational, you can try the method outlined at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40998406&postcount=3 (since you already have CWM installed internally, just skip the part in the instruction about using CWM sdcard to install CWM internally).

Wow, you guys are awesome, I finally got a custom rom installed on this tablet! Thank you very much!!!!!

I was making it way harder than it actually is. Keep up the awesome work!

Okay. So....I'm lost.

I was able to jump from CM7 to CM10.1. But as soon as flashed the GApps package, everything crashed. And somewhere in all of my flashing to this poor tablet, I've lost a fair amount of my internal storage, or done something terribly wrong.

What would be the easiest way to go back to square 1, and then move forward to CM10.1? I'd like to have everything internal, and honestly the information that I had saved looks out of date.

Thanks!

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Reactions: Verfassergeist
May 12, 2013
Hampton, VA
Many thanks....

Many thanks are due for the invaluable information....I have been reading posts on this site and doing my research strictly from the information contained on this site for months now, with it I have rooted my NT and successfully run a few different ROMs and I am currently running CM10 from my SD card. I did however try to follow Ray Waldo's Jellybean and Root method but ended up wiping out the factory partition and I could not boot anything, so I had to get a replacement NT. That was before I made the CM10 SD card.

I remember once I tried to download B&N firmware 1.4.3 from the B&N site but when i tried to flash it I got a message saying that it was bad.....does anyone know a source other than B&N where I can get a good copy?

Thank you in advance for any help....

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Will that process restore my internal storage to it's original size?
The NT has a number of partitions, the above referenced custom ROM flashing process does not resize any of the partitions but merely reformats and replaces content on a few of them, namely /boot, /recovery, /system, /data, and /cache -- see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37515697&postcount=31 for more details. Unless you have lots of apps with the previous ROM compared to the number of apps in the fresh new install you won't see much difference in space consumption for /data.

If your concern is with the user-media partition, you can connect the NT to your PC/Laptop via USB, and browse its content and cleanup as appropriate.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I remember once I tried to download B&N firmware 1.4.3 from the B&N site but when i tried to flash it I got a message saying that it was bad.....does anyone know a source other than B&N where I can get a good copy?
B&N Stock ROM update.zip needs to be "repackaged" in order to be flashable using CWM. If you want to flash back to stock, you can try flash_stock_1.4.2.zip posted at Succulent's NT recovery repo https://github.com/succulent/acclaim_recovery_sdcard using an older CWM version 5.x.y.z (then upgrade to 1.4.3 using the normal B&N update process).

Last edited:

joe_nj

May 26, 2013
Nook Tablet rooted with CM7 and 32 GB sd card

My nook tablet wouldn't boot after 17 months of use - out of warranty - just kept flashing the n. Remote help desk and store help desk were no help. (The first nook - a simple touch - lasted for 13 months so they're improving.)

Searching the web, I decided to try CM7.

I bought a 4 gb micro sd card and, before checking out the forum, I tried to transfer cm7 using windows imager and got an error message - not enough sectors. It had a sector size of 512 and was about 100,000 sectors short.

I had a 32 gb card in the nook so I took that out and transferred cm7 to it. I thought that the format command might allow me to partition it and since it didn't, I imaged CM7 to the 32 GB card, loaded it in the nook and it worked! I'm happy as my wife was pushing for a kindle HD to replace the tablet. THANKS! I wouldn't have been able to insert an sd card in a Kindle HD (which I have.)

I'm tempted to leave the nook alone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I have to ask.

What have I lost by not partitioning the SD card? Can I no longer save other stuff on it?

I searched the web afterwards and easily found instructions for partitioning the 32 GB SD card. Should I pull it out, partition it, reload CM7, and boot it again from that? I'm assuming that if I partition the card, it will have more than one drive name and I'll load CM7 in one of them.

Do I have to keep the SD card inserted once it has booted? I'm thinking that I don't need it to recover from sleeping - only for a full power down.

I'm wondering if the tablet will boot from the stock OS now that it has been booted from the SD card, but since everything seems to work with CM7, I don't need or even want the stock OS.

The forum stickies had some good information. For example, I'm wondering if the OTAs will cause a problem.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I had a 32 gb card in the nook so I took that out and transferred cm7 to it. I thought that the format command might allow me to partition it and since it didn't, I imaged CM7 to the 32 GB card, loaded it in the nook and it worked! I'm happy as my wife was pushing for a kindle HD to replace the tablet. THANKS! I wouldn't have been able to insert an sd card in a Kindle HD (which I have.)

I'm tempted to leave the nook alone - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I have to ask.

What have I lost by not partitioning the SD card? Can I no longer save other stuff on it?

I searched the web afterwards and easily found instructions for partitioning the 32 GB SD card. Should I pull it out, partition it, reload CM7, and boot it again from that? I'm assuming that if I partition the card, it will have more than one drive name and I'll load CM7 in one of them.
A CM SD image typically has 3-4 partitions pre-sized to fit on small size SD cards (e.g., 4-8GB), so you likely have lots of wasted space on your 32GB card. You can use a partition tool such as Easeus Partition Master or MiniTool Partition to see how the CM7 image is making use of your card. If you prefer a different partitioning allocation to make better use of the SD card you can build a CM SD image from scratch (see http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/how-to-guide-bootable-cm7cm9cm10-sdcard-for-nook-tablet/ or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2061536).
Do I have to keep the SD card inserted once it has booted?
Yes.
I'm wondering if the tablet will boot from the stock OS now that it has been booted from the SD card, ...
Most likely no (you can verify this by rebooting the NT without the CM7 SD card).
... but since everything seems to work with CM7, I don't need or even want the stock OS.
If you no longer care for the stock ROM then you should consider installing CM internally onto the NT (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2056626) and thereby can use the 32GB card for NT media storage

Last edited:
Reactions: joe_nj

remmian

May 26, 2013
CM10 on EMMc - too late to re-partition?

Hello everyone. I am a total noob, this is my first tablet and I don't use a cell, so 23+ years in Windows, and zip in Android. Reading this excellent forum and other sources the past few days, I managed to root my 16GB NT, then install CWM and CM10 Succulent (12-8-12) on EMMc... along with google apps. Everything is running great but I now want to re-partition the NT (only 1GB for sideloading). I would have done that first but didn't think I was really going to succeed at everything else!

I saw the links to the SDCard images for this purpose, but it seems to be for stock NTs. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1554039 Then there is this thread that scares the bejezus out of me, http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25.

So my questions are, 1> Will either of these methods work if CM10 and CWM is installed internally? and 2> Isn't there a program for Android that can be run inside CM10 that you can set up what you want then have it reboot and do it on the reboot, similar to all the partition managers (e.g. EaseUs PM) for Windows? (Please don't hit me for mentioning Windows.)

Thanks everyone... appreciate your help.

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
I haven't use that particular partitioning card, but I have used the one (originating from Veronica, I think) here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1663836 The file you need is the one in the first point of step 1. (The other links are for image writing utility and sd-formatter)
I have run that image on NT running internally installed CM10 without any issues. It should work on any NT where the partitiones hasn't been messed with prior to this.
If you do run it and then install CM10 again, again I would suggest you use the final CM10 from Succulent. That would be 1231 build instead of the 1208 you've been running.

Added note: The repart.img that you make if you use this method is also a very handy unbrick tool!

Last edited:
Reactions: remmian

joe_nj

May 26, 2013
A CM SD image typically has 3-4 partitions pre-sized to fit on small size SD cards (e.g., 4-8GB), so you likely have lots of wasted space on your 32GB card. You can use a partition tool such as Easeus Partition Master or MiniTool Partition to see how the CM7 image is making use of your card. If you prefer a different partitioning allocation to make better use of the SD card you can build a CM SD image from scratch (see http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/how-to-guide-bootable-cm7cm9cm10-sdcard-for-nook-tablet/ or http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2061536).

Yes.

Most likely no (you can verify this by rebooting the NT without the CM7 SD card).

If you no longer care for the stock ROM then you should consider installing CM internally onto the NT (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2056626) and thereby can use the 32GB card for NT media storage

Thanks Digixmax! Here's an update.
After a few hours of non-use, I tried powering the nook back on. The XDA welcome screen appeared then nothing. I removed the SD card and tried again and it booted with the B&N OS. I powered down and tried booting again with the SD card and the same thing happened - the XDA welcome screen then blank. Removing the SD card, I'm still about to boot with the B&N OS. Puzzling.

The 32GB SD card still shows my old directories but their empty now.

remmian

May 26, 2013
Many Thanks!

I haven't use that particular partitioning card, but I have used the one (originating from Veronica, I think) here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1663836 The file you need is the one in the first point of step 1. (The other links are for image writing utility and sd-formatter)
I have run that image on NT running internally installed CM10 without any issues. It should work on any NT where the partitiones hasn't been messed with prior to this.
If you do run it and then install CM10 again, again I would suggest you use the final CM10 from Succulent. That would be 1231 build instead of the 1208 you've been running.

Added note: The repart.img that you make if you use this method is also a very handy unbrick tool!

Thanks so much for this and for the tip about Succulent's last update for CM10 being 1231. I'll look for that. (I did install JB 4.2.2 initially, but it was buggy for me, so that's why I went to CM10.)

Also good to know this method is good for un-bricking b/c I am more worried about this step than I was about doing all the rest!

remmian

May 26, 2013
Btw, asawi, does the SDCard repart image leave like 5GB for B&N downloads? (I have been sidetracked off the computer so have not started yet.) I never buy apps, so wanted to leave like 1GB in that partition and use the bulk of my storage for my own uses.

EDIT: I figured there isn't another way around this that's easy so just did the above as directed.

However I now have no touchscreen capability because it put all the factory sftw back and I had upgraded the firmware to 10-Touch for multi-touch capability. Will try to boot off my SDCard to flash CM10 back, but I can't remember how I rooted now nor do I know if this needs rooting again before I can flash CM10... and even getting the Nook to turn off is difficult without touchscreen.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK. Lots of newer users here so let me touch on a few things that should well translate from the NC.

1. uSD classes: seems to matter little when using apps. Seldom are the speeds accurate anyway. Use reputable brands. Sandisc one of the best.
    2. Never format uSD in your device. Always on your computer. Don't use Windows format. Often creates problems. Use this. Free and never failed me.
    3. Root is optional for the NT right now. Certain apps require root access BUT untill a workable recovery scheme is devised I would recommend sideloading. Always unmount before removing. Yes, OTA will work and GApps will update.
    4. I've not seen yet a reliable method of re-partitioning the eMMC for the NT (might have missed it if so) therefore sideloading would appear a workable plan for now.
    5. If the hurdles can be overcome (and it is early yet, people) to achieve root + recovery many options will open but the NT appears pretty darn good as it is. Patience is a plus.
    6. Search function and Google search is your friend. Xda is phenomenal but there are many other forums and many senior members post/read to several.
    7. Research what you want to do before doing it. God knows I learned that the hard way myself! :)
    8. An app called App2SD can help you moved apps that will function from the uSD and clear space on the eMMC.
    9. Did I mention read and research?
    10. One last thing...it's always good form to click "thanks" when assistance is lent.

The senior people on here once were where you are now and are happy to lend a hand. Read the Xda rules and all should be well.
    I thought i would add this (perhaps) little known tidbit...
    Swiping the notification bar from right to left will serve as a back button when one does not appear to be available.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
    Here's a tip for people new to Android. There are some apps that says "aren't compatible" with the NT (like Voice search) in the Market, and won't let you install. And there are ones you can't even find in the Market for the NT, like TuneIn radio or Fancy widget.

If you have an Android phone or another Android device, you can install those from the market on the phone. And use ES file explorer or Titanium backup to grab the apk file on the phone and sideload to the NT.

To do it with with ES file explorer. Just hit the menu key, select "App manager" and long press on the app and select backup. The apk file will be in sdcard/backups/apps folder. And get that file over by either dropbox, wifi, or usb for sideloading on the NT.

This is better than downloading from unknown sources.
    I've noticed there's alot of new people here. I figured I'd give you guys a place to ask questions that might be common knowledge to the more experienced people here.

So ask away.....
    i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

to tritrung's questions, here's my answer:
    default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.
    12G storage is used to install apks, which almost no limit for applications.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device