Pro 12.2 with multitask button?

Search This thread

zeraworld

Sep 2, 2012
cause it seems like they changed it and wondered if it would change a lot. i assume they are going to have to put the menu option in the apps which is not as convenient

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah I never understood the reasoning behind this. How often do I hit the menu key? How often do I need the Multitask key? I'd say menu is alot more important at least for my use.

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Yeah I never understood the reasoning behind this. How often do I hit the menu key? How often do I need the Multitask key? I'd say menu is alot more important at least for my use.

The thing is, the menu key is inconsistent. Some apps use it, some dont, and it has different purposes in each app. The multitasking key is a system function, always the same therefore reliable and less confusing for users. Also, another major issue is you wouldn't believe how many casual users have no idea that long press goes to the switcher. This encourages people to use their phone more efficiently.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
This is being discussed in both 4.4 update threads and now there are two threads dedicated to the re-purposed capacitive button.

This is what it does (repeated from another thread)...

The 10.1's left capacitive touch button is different.

Very.

The one big surprise in the hardware department is that Samsung is dumping the menu button and replacing it with a "Recent Apps" button, finally following the recommended button layout Google introduced three years ago. The removal of the menu button means the top-right action bar overflow menus will now properly appear in all apps, no longer hiding important options from users. Samsung loves to have unity across their devices, so we expect this to be the new button layout going forward.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...-and-tabpro-new-screen-sizes-and-magazine-ui/

So in order to offer the same functionality as the Pro's and Note 12 either Samsung changes the button on new-build N10.1-14's or keeps the button the way it is graphically and it performs the new function as described above. A disaster scenario would be because of the stupid button and wanting uniformity across devices Samsung decides not give the N10.1-14 the new UI. It's hard to believe that Samsung would throw purchasers of their heretofore most expensive tablet that's less than three months old under the bus like that but it's certainly something Samsung's going to have to make some decisions about.​

Samsung has two choices with older devices that have the "menu" graphic rather than the newer "apps" graphic introduced for the first time on the four newly announced tablets.

They can:

• Be purists and leave newer devices without the proper graphic (SGS4, N3, N10.1-14) on the older UI but update the OS to 4.4.

• Ignore the mislabeled graphic and treat older devices the same as newer devices and update them to 4.4/Magazine UX.
And there's no point arguing which direction Samsung will go as either is possible and no one here (including me) knows what Samsung's thinking. I do think something's up in that when talking about their 2014 premium tablet line there's not been one mention of the N10.1-14 and how it fits in their product strategy. If it was going to carry on as the "Note 10.1 2014 Edition" and receive 4.4/Magazine UX you'd think they would have said something. In PR/Marketing what's not said is sometimes more telling than what is.

cktlcmd

Oct 12, 2005
Farmington, CT; Jackson, NJ
Samsung has two choices with older devices that have the "menu" graphic rather than the newer "apps" graphic introduced for the first time on the four newly announced tablets.

They can:

• Be purists and leave newer devices without the proper graphic (SGS4, N3, N10.1-14) on the older UI but update the OS to 4.4.

• Ignore the mislabeled graphic and treat older devices the same as newer devices and update them to 4.4/Magazine UX.
And there's no point arguing which direction Samsung will go as either is possible and no one here (including me) knows what Samsung's thinking. I do think something's up in that when talking about their 2014 premium tablet line there's not been one mention of the N10.1-14 and how it fits in their product strategy. If it was going to carry on as the "Note 10.1 2014 Edition" and receive 4.4/Magazine UX you'd think they would have said something. In PR/Marketing what's not said is sometimes more telling than what is.

Samsung has a third choice... if they want to be AXXXXXXS about it...

They can actually ignore all older devices and just stop their software updates. :(

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
This is a weird one. The GSM Arena hands on video (posted yesterday 6th Feb) shows the Note Pro 12.2 with a menu button and not multitasking.
It also has the old style notification tab.

The other unboxing video on youtube has the Multitasking button and the newer looking notification pull down.

Are the wifi and LTE variants different?

nymviper1126

Feb 9, 2012
This is a weird one. The GSM Arena hands on video (posted yesterday 6th Feb) shows the Note Pro 12.2 with a menu button and not multitasking.
It also has the old style notification tab.

The other unboxing video on youtube has the Multitasking button and the newer looking notification pull down.

Are the wifi and LTE variants different?

Also wondering why I dont see Magazine UX in the video.

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
GSMArena's full review is out.. It has the menu button and not the App switcher in the model they reviewed.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_pro_12_2-review-1041p3.php
That means landscape is the default orientation and the hardware keys are placed along one of the long sides.
Those are the old Menu, Home, Back keys, even though Samsung is already moving to App Switcher, Home, Back on some of its recent devices.

But the promotional photo they have on the first page of the review shows the tablet with the app switcher and not the menu button.
http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/samsung-galaxy-note-pro-12-2/review/offic/gsmarena_001.jpg

Wonder if they got a pre production model for review

Markuzy

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
I've tried a demo model before. LTE variant in my country (Singapore)

There is a menu button, but it toggles recent apps instead of what you expect from it being a menu button.

It was an internal demo set though...things may change.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

nymviper1126

Feb 9, 2012
I just picked up the wifi model from best buy (us) and it has the app switcher button.

Does it have Magazine UX? Im going to get mine after work, cant wait to be shipped I need it this weekend, will have to pay cash then order online credit and return after i get it.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I just picked up the wifi model from best buy (us) and it has the app switcher button.

Best buy website just switched over and said "coming soon". How many did they have in store?

Jayception

May 31, 2013
Does it have Magazine UX? Im going to get mine after work, cant wait to be shipped I need it this weekend, will have to pay cash then order online credit and return after i get it.

Yes it does have the Magazine UX.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Best buy website just switched over and said "coming soon". How many did they have in store?

I had pre-ordered mine inside of the best buy store a week ago and they told me that there were about a dozen left in their store when i went in to pick it up.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

nymviper1126

Feb 9, 2012
I had pre-ordered mine inside of the best buy store a week ago and they told me that there were about a dozen left in their store when i went in to pick it up.

Yea I just called, they have 13 left. Must be some sick joke! other large electronics store ran out and wont have till 18th!

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Does it have Mag UX?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Kitkat forces the overflow menu button by default, rendering a menu button almost useless.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk