"USB device not recognized" - worked fine yesterday [SOLVED]

Search This thread

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
When I tired connecting my HTC vivid to my computer through the recovery's 'enable MS-USB' option, my computer (Windows 7 64-bit) states that is does not recognize the device (I get the list of ports, and can see the "unkown device"). I've plugged it in multiple times, but it still doesn't recognize it. Fastboot doesn't seem to recognize the device either (using "fastboot devices -s" displays nothing.

The cable seems to work fine, as it connects my LG rumor touch to my PC just fine and I can see all of its SD card contents.

I was having issues getting my vivid connected and charging before, so I'm thinking it might be the charge port. Any agreements, advice, or other suggestions?

----------------
UPDATE!!!
----------------

Just got my new charge port in today, and I can say without a doubt that my problem was the charge port! Popped the new one in (I almost laughed at how easy it was compared to replacing a cracked digitizer), and right away I noticed that the new port sort of... kept the cable plugged in better. It started charging instantly as opposed to the game of getting it to sit just right, and my computer immediately started to install drivers.

Hooray! Now I can fastboot again! And actually transfer files from my computer to my phone easily! And actually charge the damn thing without feeling like I'm trying to find its g-spot.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
I recall getting something similar to that quite a while ago (I think it was back on CM10.1, so this was a LONG time ago :p ) where my computer (Win 7 Home Premium 64bit) wouldn't recognize my Raider when I connected it via the USB charge/transfer cable that came with it. And also like you, fastboot was not recognizing my phone either.

I think what I did then was restart my PC as I figured that perhaps it was failing to load the drivers upon that boot. And after my PC restarted and everything was stable again, I connected my phone to it and it understood it with no issues. Hasn't happened to me since.

Also, what recovery are you using? I use TWRP 2.6.3.0 and I've never had any issues with it.

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
I'm using CWM made for wcx, but cannot remember the version number. Unfortunately restarting my PC hasn't fixed the issue for me, nor did booting into another OS.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
I'm using CWM made for wcx, but cannot remember the version number. Unfortunately restarting my PC hasn't fixed the issue for me, nor did booting into another OS.

If you are going to insist on using CWM... Make sure you have an RUU handy for when it breaks your phone...

It WILL happen...

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
Unless I'm mistaken, an ruu wouldn't help me, as my PC does not recognize the phone at all, no matter how I attempt to make them communicate.

Also, I've never heard or read about cwm recovery screwing up or ruining anyone's phone. I got the impression it was one of the most stable recoveries.

Last edited:

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
Unless I'm mistaken, an ruu wouldn't help me, as my PC does not recognize the phone at all, no matter how I attempt to make them communicate.

Also, I've never heard or read about cwm recovery screwing up or ruining anyone's phone. I got the impression it was one of the most stable recoveries.

CWM is improperly compiled...

WCX is amon ra based... And works as far as I know

And TWRP is what I use... And hasn't steered me wrong yet

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
OK, now that I have flash image GUI, i 'll try twrp and see of that fixes my issue. I did find out that my micro USB chargers don't seem to charge the phone anymore, only hooking up to my computer charges it.

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
OK, now that I have flash image GUI, i 'll try twrp and see of that fixes my issue. I did find out that my micro USB chargers don't seem to charge the phone anymore, only hooking up to my computer charges it.

As lame as this sounds, I find that when I get this error message, it is not driver-related.. it's USB port related. My front USB ports do this to me sometimes, so I have to reach to the back and plug in to one of those... that usually does the trick.

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
So far, didn't matter what USB port I use. Also reinstalled windows (had to do it anyway) and no change. I'll try it in my gfs computer tonight.

ajay1k

Feb 9, 2014
HTC and USB not recognised

When I tired connecting my HTC vivid to my computer through the recovery's 'enable MS-USB' option, my computer (Windows 7 64-bit) states that is does not recognize the device (I get the list of ports, and can see the "unkown device"). I've plugged it in multiple times, but it still doesn't recognize it. Fastboot doesn't seem to recognize the device either (using "fastboot devices -s" displays nothing.

The cable seems to work fine, as it connects my LG rumor touch to my PC just fine and I can see all of its SD card contents.

I was having issues getting my vivid connected and charging before, so I'm thinking it might be the charge port. Any agreements, advice, or other suggestions?

Try this solution: Uninstall any torrent software, restart the computer and try again.

Last edited:

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
Multiple operating systems, multiple machines, no torrent software on my windows 7 side.

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
Ok, so an update:

Just got my new charge port in today, and I can say without a doubt that my problem was the charge port! Popped the new one in (I almost laughed at how easy it was compared to replacing a cracked digitizer), and right away I noticed that the new port sort of... kept the cable plugged in better. It started charging instantly as opposed to the game of getting it to sit just right, and my computer immediately started to install drivers.

Hooray! Now I can fastboot again! And actually transfer files from my computer to my phone easily! And actually charge the damn thing without feeling like I'm trying to find its g-spot.