ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Search This thread

fugdup

Dec 3, 2009
As a new SGS3 user but a long time user of XDA, I would love for the Canadian models to have their own sub-forums. It just makes it easier to find things. I am a flash-a-holic and love trying out new ROM's but don't like bricking phones. Count me in to push for it.

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Hey everyone,

I received a response from the moderator I PMd and was told two things: that the mods can't add forums and that the admins (who can add forums) will likely not do so because they are content with the layout. I guess we're stuck with the current setup based on American carriers.

Here's the way I suggest the forums work from here on out: Carrier becomes synonymous with model number. Therefore:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only, of no concerns to Canadians)
Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only, of no concern to Canadians)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you! I also updated the first post and asked a mod to sticky this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgardnervt

Jsick

Dec 5, 2010
Hey everyone,

I received a response from the moderator I PMd and was told two things: that the mods can't add forums and that the admins (who can add forums) will likely not do so because they are content with the layout. I guess we're stuck with the current setup based on American carriers.

Here's the way I suggest the forums work from here on out: Carrier becomes synonymous with model number. Therefore:

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you! I also updated the first post and asked a mod to sticky this thread.

Looks perfect to me...would help to avoid any confusion and bricks.

Tempott

Aug 24, 2010
Hey everyone,

Are you saying that it's been confirmed the T-Mobile T999 ROMs will run on the T999V for Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron?

Last edited:

David Dee

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto
Are you saying that it's been confirmed the T-Mobile T999 ROMs will run on the T999V for Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron?

Always confirm with the op/dev if you are unsure. I can't see why any Rom that is based on the 2gb ram dual core crate s4 model wouldn't work for anyone with the same model regardless of carrier.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
Is the virgin mobile version of galaxy s3 (canadian) same as bell? I don't want to end up rooting using the methods for bell and bricking the phone :l

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
If your model number is i747m, it is bell. Tmoblile would be t999 I think.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Is there a way to check the model number before buying the phone?

Also if anyone is on virgin mobile (canada) can you confirm if it's either same as bell or t-mobile?

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Virgin is owned by Bell, Fido by Rogers and Koodo by Telus. I would not expect differences from their parent companies' phones. But as suggested, double check the model number. It is conceivable (if really stupid) that Bell would not let virgin clients access its LTE network and would thus only give them the HSPA+ version of the GSIII (the T999) instead of the LTE one (the I747). Once someone confirms, I can edit the first post.

nitroproductions

Jan 12, 2007
Windsor
Virgin is indeed I747M. I am on their service and have used LTE in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa so far with no issue. I just wonder if the Bell and Virgin basebands are the same, meaning any roms made with bell basebands can be flashed onto Virgin phones with no issues. If you guys need a system dump, and can tell me how to do it, I can do it and post it up for someone to verify.

Reactions: redndn

Xexiz

Feb 19, 2011
Actually, Videotron is SGH-T999V and at least if we have to look in T-Mobile.. you should write something in the forum description to lets us know which carriers is really supported, instead of just pasting "Android development for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III" which is false.

Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, Videotron is SGH-T999V and at least if we have to look in T-Mobile.. you should write something in the forum description to lets us know which carriers is really supported, instead of just pasting "Android development for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III" which is false.

Videotron GSIII is a variation of the SGH-T999, so developments threads for it should be found under the T-Mobile section. It is then up to the developer to test and comment on compatibility with different carriers. If you're unsure as to whether a ROM will work on your phone, ask the developer. Given the way the forum is organized, this is the best we can do.

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
Virgin is indeed I747M. I am on their service and have used LTE in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa so far with no issue. I just wonder if the Bell and Virgin basebands are the same, meaning any roms made with bell basebands can be flashed onto Virgin phones with no issues. If you guys need a system dump, and can tell me how to do it, I can do it and post it up for someone to verify.

Thanks for the reply :), the virgin phone can atleast be rooted right? I hope the comparability with roms and such are the same as bell/at&t :/

if not we'll probably be leftout on all the good stuff, not to mention the american variants already don't have as much support as the international development... only if they had the international available T.T

torontommy

Jul 11, 2012
Toronto
After flashing the AOKP ROM, does anyone have any trouble flashing another rom?

I flashed the AOKP rom today in the morning and it was all good. The camera did FC on me but that was a known issue.

Now i want to try the PURE ICS ROM but after i flash it, the samsung logo comes up and then the Galaxy S3 i747 logo and then nothing.... no other boot up. It just stays at blank screen. Cant even tell if the screens on ...

I did do a full wipe of user data, cache partition and dalvik before i flashed it.

Now im back to the AOKP rom since i still had it in my phone internal memory (thank god) but i wanna try the PURE ICS so bad.

anyone has any solutions?

Im using i747 on Rogers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
    Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
    if it helps you I have a Sasktel I747m and have had no issues flashing Task and Ktoonzes AOKP JB versions so far. I did notice that the about device showed my device as an i747 after flashing.
    I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
    CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
    All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
    While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
    Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
    I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).
    My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
    Damn fine phones.
    As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.